Joyce and Clavarino to rookie list

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Joyce and Clavarino to rookie list

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Joyce and Clavarino to rookie list

Clavarino better make it work for himself in 2021 if he wants to be an AFL player in 2022.
He must be running out of chances.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Saints58
Club Player

So our last 2 big defenders off the main list that makes us very venerable down back gee I hope they draft someone like Oscar Mcdonald at least he has some experience and only 23

longtimesaint
Club Player

Saints58 wrote: Wed 25 Nov 2020 5:53pm So our last 2 big defenders off the main list that makes us very venerable down back gee I hope they draft someone like Oscar Mcdonald at least he has some experience and only 23
There is no negative impact being on the rookie list instead of the main.
Just means we have more space on the senior list and get some salary cap relief,
As we have seen with Wilkie they can play seniors every week.

One year will be our year
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Doesn’t feel like a glowing endorsement for Clav

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Betts has been moved to Carlton's rookie list

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I like all of this. Whatever the football departments vision is, I like it. Can't wait to see who they draft and which, if any, DFA they bring in. Exciting times ahead.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

How many players can we bring in now? Draft picks and delisted free agents.

Gershwin
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 25 Nov 2020 7:04pm How many players can we bring in now? Draft picks and delisted free agents.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Wed 25 Nov 2020 5:27pm Clavarino better make it work for himself in 2021 if he wants to be an AFL player in 2022.
I've a lot of faith in Clav. He's a slow burn due to untimely injuries & pandemics but I believe he'll end up a lock like his good mate Battle.

2021 is time to own it Clav.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 25 Nov 2020 8:09pm
Wayne42 wrote: Wed 25 Nov 2020 5:27pm Clavarino better make it work for himself in 2021 if he wants to be an AFL player in 2022.
I've a lot of faith in Clav. He's a slow burn due to untimely injuries & pandemics but I believe he'll end up a lock like his good mate Battle.

Was a big fan when we drafted him

Was really disappointed he didn’t play when they dropped Carlisle this year. Hope he makes it but it doesn’t feel like they have a lot of faith in the kid

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Given the way this went down, it would seem to suggest that we didn't think we could smuggle Clavarino through the drafts. I choose to see that as a glimmer of hope. I'm less optimistic about Joyce's chances. This also makes it seem less likely we'll re-rookie some of our other delistees - although, I guess that's still possible. I think we're on 33 senior players, 3 normal rookies and one towering basketballer. It was 36-38 seniors plus 4-6 normal rookies, wasn't it?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Silly to give Joyce a contract of any size when he really hadn't shown he was doing anything that would make you think he had the tools to make it . Mc Kenzie had a few runs on the board before we signed him probably not enough but he did play some decent footy before he was contracted can't say the same for Joyce

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think the AFL needs a new name for the "Rookie" List. Even Eddie Betts will be a rookie in 2021!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 26 Nov 2020 12:22am I think the AFL needs a new name for the "Rookie" List. Even Eddie Betts will be a rookie in 2021!
Perhaps the "Off Shore Account".

ace
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 25 Nov 2020 7:04pm How many players can we bring in now? Draft picks and delisted free agents.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Yep. He was the best big defender in the 2 years either side of his year in the NAB league. He really is an excellent player. Just needs a run at it.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 26 Nov 2020 9:04am

Yep. He was the best big defender in the 2 years either side of his year in the NAB league. He really is an excellent player. Just needs a run at it.
If we can get a few of the listed players who are currently deeply rooted in the "potential" category like Clav and Bytel to make AFL top 4 finals grade players and to augment this current build then we may be starting to look at a really strong and sustainable top 4 side.

The modern sides who are in the dynasty category all had players on their list that rose beyond expectations to augment a better than average core.

A little bit of luck will help from here.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Milney doesn't agree with the AFL's decision.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 5f68452e50

"Rookie sensation Stephen Milne says the AFL’s rookie list should be used only for young kids battling to grab an opportunity rather than clubs saving cap space with stars like Eddie Betts.

Milne is one of footy’s most extraordinary rookie-list stories, at one stage holding the record for the most games played by a rookie (275) until he was eventually passed by West Coast’s Dean Cox.

In their era clubs used the rookie list for developing ruckmen and kids who might not have been ready for a two-year primary list contract but had a dash of something exciting in their playing style.

For several years clubs have pushed experienced players onto the rookie list but this year the AFL allowed clubs to do so without even having to redraft them.

It means the likes of Eddie Betts, Grant Birchall, Matt Kennedy and Shane Mumford will all be parked on the rookie list by their clubs.

Two years after VFL premiership coach Andy Collins said the rookie-list system was “broken”, Milne agreed he might not have made it given the current use for the rookie list.

“Certainly when I was growing up, I agree. It was for guys who were battlers and had tried to get drafted for three or four years, but they got a second chance. It wasn’t for guys like Eddie Betts.

“He is doing the right thing so it’s nothing against him, but it’s another loophole to get someone on a list and save money. It shouldn’t be about senior players who have played as many games as Eddie. I think if you talked to 20 (former) rookies they would say the same thing.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 26 Nov 2020 1:53pm Milney doesn't agree with the AFL's decision.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 5f68452e50

"Rookie sensation Stephen Milne says the AFL’s rookie list should be used only for young kids battling to grab an opportunity rather than clubs saving cap space with stars like Eddie Betts.

Milne is one of footy’s most extraordinary rookie-list stories, at one stage holding the record for the most games played by a rookie (275) until he was eventually passed by West Coast’s Dean Cox.

In their era clubs used the rookie list for developing ruckmen and kids who might not have been ready for a two-year primary list contract but had a dash of something exciting in their playing style.

For several years clubs have pushed experienced players onto the rookie list but this year the AFL allowed clubs to do so without even having to redraft them.

It means the likes of Eddie Betts, Grant Birchall, Matt Kennedy and Shane Mumford will all be parked on the rookie list by their clubs.

Two years after VFL premiership coach Andy Collins said the rookie-list system was “broken”, Milne agreed he might not have made it given the current use for the rookie list.

“Certainly when I was growing up, I agree. It was for guys who were battlers and had tried to get drafted for three or four years, but they got a second chance. It wasn’t for guys like Eddie Betts.

“He is doing the right thing so it’s nothing against him, but it’s another loophole to get someone on a list and save money. It shouldn’t be about senior players who have played as many games as Eddie. I think if you talked to 20 (former) rookies they would say the same thing.
Different eras, different circumstances. Milney & others got opportunities on the rookie list because clubs were flush and able to experiment. Has Milney trotted out the success rate? He will still keep his legacy as one of the great rookies. But seriously, this is an excellent compromise. Who has missed out, AFL clubs have no form to gauge from 2020 except those within their Hubs? Makes sense on every level.

To the top
SS Life Member

From the image, Claravino still looks like a skinny kid (which is what told against Austin both at Alberton and with St Kilda He just did not put on the weight to hold down a key position)

Joyce showed credentials in his few games acknowledging that his background was evident and where AFL exposure will impact on his instincts to his benefit. Had pace, good size and good hands so plenty to work on