Do the right thing Gears!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do the right thing Gears!

Perhaps Gray Thomas’s rotating captain system had some secret genius to it. Here I was thinking it was all about Boy Scouts having their turn at lighting the camp fire.

It is actually a genius way of avoiding burns which have long term scaring.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Under no circumstance should Geary be captain next season. He isn’t in our best 25. He will play some games throughout the season but someone else has to be captain while he is still around to help them lead

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

It would be fittingly selfless if Gears played the role as onfield coach at Sandy and pushing the developing boys to play seniors.

If injuries and opportunity come for him to slot in , then sure, but otherwise be part of the continuing quest for our second premiership another way.

Nee!
Kilda
Club Player

Can see both sides of the matter here. Geary is clearly an unfashionable footballer: he lacks flair and his disposal / execution can often be found wanting. He's certainly been the source of frustration many times. Yet no one can dispute his courage, persistence or dedication.

Something that seems to have been overlooked in this whole debate is that a captain doesn't have to be the superstar of the team. In fact, if you look at the most successful coaches in the game, they're rarely the champion player and more often than not the lesser known player who lacked onfield prowess.

There's a very old saying that the whole is greater than the sum of its individual parts. As an individual part, Jarryn may very well be mediocre but he seems to have the universal admiration and respect of the players and coaches. This suggest that there's some intangible quality about Gears that can't be measured but is evidently there. If so, then maybe no.14 has some special attribute that lifts the club - and its output - well beyond the sum of the individual parts.

St Loxton
Club Player

No matter which way i construct the team on paper, I can't find a place for him.
He has been upgraded, so not a starter for 2021.
I'm happy he is still playing, he has earnt his place in the squad.
Id respect him even more if he graciously handed the captaincy over.
Steele, Marshall or Howard.

bakes
Club Player

He actually played his best footy in the forward line.

I wonder if there's a spot for him as a permanent forward pocket.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

By the middle of next season he'll be 33. His form has been patchy and in every position he can potentially play there are better skilled players to perform the role. He has been a warrior and a very good captain, but he should realise that his value as a player in this team is diminishing, so the right thing to do is hand over the captaincy to Jack Steele. I would hate to see him struggling through games with the spotlight on his position and his captaincy becoming ever more intensified from a rabid media and a frustrated supporter base. An undignified exit should be avoided. If he hands over the captaincy now, his period as captain will be respected and acknowledged. If he doesn't, he risks that legacy being damaged.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I get the feeling a lot of us never think it is ‘our time’. Rievwollt once said he’d like to play until 40. It’s a give it your best shot and hang on until your dying breath kind of thing, because there are no seconds.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

bakes wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020 11:12am He actually played his best footy in the forward line.

I wonder if there's a spot for him as a permanent forward pocket.
It relies on Gears having someone to keep accountable. Teams with an intercept marker or line breaker off half back are his pets.

If the oppo doesn’t have that player in their team then, he probably doesn’t justify a spot as a pure forward

Go you red, black & white warriors
bakes
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020 12:40pm Smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON
Topic review
True that.

I'm also of the opinion that Geary should graciously relinquish his captaincy.

He would then be considered outside the top 22 players each week, unless there are injuries, or the opposition's team requires Geary to do a specific role.

I would look at having both Steele and Howard as leaders, whether that is joint captains, or Steele captain and Howard VC or vice versa.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Having called for Geary to step down in the past, I am now ambivalent on the question.

Instead, I have full confidence in the players and coaches to address this matter as they see fit - which is the reality that has prevailed hitherto.

If they make the call to retain Geary as captain for 2021 then so be it. As for whether he retains his place in the team week to week, I also trust the coach and selectors to play those who they consider are the best 22 for each upcoming game.

I predict that if Geary's form falls below the required level that he will make the call to hand over to whoever is named as VC and that may well be sooner rather than later....

There's really no point in getting all worked up over this!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020 1:43pm Having called for Geary to step down in the past, I am now ambivalent on the question.

Instead, I have full confidence in the players and coaches to address this matter as they see fit - which is the reality that has prevailed hitherto.

If they make the call to retain Geary as captain for 2021 then so be it. As for whether he retains his place in the team week to week, I also trust the coach and selectors to play those who they consider are the best 22 for each upcoming game.

I predict that if Geary's form falls below the required level that he will make the call to hand over to whoever is named as VC and that may well be sooner rather than later....

My position exactly. Not up to this forum to tell Gears to step aside. That is really a step to far.

The op is out of line.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020 2:03pm
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020 1:43pm Having called for Geary to step down in the past, I am now ambivalent on the question.

My position exactly. Not up to this forum to tell Gears to step aside. That is really a step to far.

The op is out of line.
I hear that, but we don’t hear about the mistakes selectors make, and sometimes it’s oK to discuss ...for healthy reasons and sometimes not...

When Gears helped win us those games toward seasons end, it was a case of...wait up, wait up,

Watching him get into a great position at forward pocket in the final I am ready to put him on my will, and then to watch the ball drop so unmolested through his arms It’s just a case of ...here we go...

I admire his courage to keep going out there, like Steve Waugh who won’t play a shot and the WI bowers are pummeling him.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Watching Geary and Ryder lead us towards the end of last season, I had to stew on a few of my own thoughts. While I have always thought Paddy was a gun footballer U could only find words like stoic, determined and fearless for Geary. What came to the fore, in changing my mind, was the leadership when it mattered.
I'm prepared for Gears to push us towards a GF this year, but I'm am not convinced that we won't have to carry him, at the expense of a younger players development, through the season at times. I'm torn.

bergsone
SS Life Member

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020 2:38pm Watching Geary and Ryder lead us towards the end of last season, I had to stew on a few of my own thoughts. While I have always thought Paddy was a gun footballer U could only find words like stoic, determined and fearless for Geary. What came to the fore, in changing my mind, was the leadership when it mattered.
I'm prepared for Gears to push us towards a GF this year, but I'm am not convinced that we won't have to carry him, at the expense of a younger players development, through the season at times. I'm torn.
IMO you are spot on with these comments

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The games against the Cats and Pies were 2 blowouts where the guys needed someone to motivate and inspire, to stop the rot.

Gears didn't do anything of note, in those games. I could be wrong.

We need a younger guy with far more skill, to take his spot.
Then we might get closer to the Holy Grail

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee