Lonie potentially to Bulldogs 7 news

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Lonie potentially to Bulldogs 7 news

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/western- ... -c-1508304

Nothing new, but here it is.

Disappointing we give one year to Lonie but multiple years to Mckenzie, Webster, Hind and Kent.
Perhaps the mistakes of the past are the reason for the one year deal.

I don't blame Lonie for looking elsewhere when he gets a one year offer and the likes of Kent get 3 years on probably a lot more money.

I'd keep Lonie and ditch Kent, Hind & Parker well before him.
Perhaps they'll let him go as he has some trade value while the others would have very little.

Lonie was very good in the elimination final against the dogs and in particular his coolness to hit up two inside passes resulting in critical goals to Ryder & Geary.

Lonies no gun, but he's a decent C grade AFL player and you need these guys on the list even if not a 1st 22 starter he's very capable back up. He's a saints man and very popular at the club and very professional, give him 2 years!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lonie potentially to Bulldogs 7 news

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 03 Nov 2020 5:09pm https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/western- ... -c-1508304

Nothing new, but here it is.

Disappointing we give one year to Lonie but multiple years to Mckenzie, Webster, Hind and Kent.
Perhaps the mistakes of the past are the reason for the one year deal.

I don't blame Lonie for looking elsewhere when he gets a one year offer and the likes of Kent get 3 years on probably a lot more money.

I'd keep Lonie and ditch Kent, Hind & Parker well before him.
Perhaps they'll let him go as he has some trade value while the others would have very little.

Lonie was very good in the elimination final against the dogs and in particular his coolness to hit up two inside passes resulting in critical goals to Ryder & Geary.

Lonies no gun, but he's a decent C grade AFL player and you need these guys on the list even if not a 1st 22 starter he's very capable back up. He's a saints man and very popular at the club and very professional, give him 2 years!
Michael Christian says if you ask me I'll give him two weeks but he has to whack someone.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If Lonie turns into a gun at the Dogs, I'll spew.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

5 more and they’ll have their own set of 7 dwarves
( I know, poor attempt at humour)

saintbob
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Tue 03 Nov 2020 5:36pm If Lonie turns into a gun at the Dogs, I'll spew.
If Lonie turns into a gun, i’ll eat your spew.

He’s a muppet!!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If Higgins does come to the Saints, then Lonie would be very rarely in our first 22 in 2021 as they are competing for exactly the same spot with Higgins having more strings to his bow.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saintly66
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 03 Nov 2020 5:36pm If Lonie turns into a gun at the Dogs, I'll spew.
He’ll be doing anything bar turning into a gun, he’ll fit in perfectly there with the others who flop for frees.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

He’s expendable, especially if we get Higgins.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Some folks suggest that a top club needs a very good bottom 6.
2009-2010 our bottom 6 weren't great at all (half of our $$ went to 6 guys? I heard)

Lonie is good as depth in case we have injuries and can chip in better than the bottom guys we had 10 yrs ago.

But bringing in better players, esp with ?? over list sizes next year, means we don't have the luxury of keeping him.
It's like having a Vespa in the garage in case my car is getting repaired. Just in case.

No club can do that, can they?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Ok...this is as close to ITK as I get:

I am hearing through my one contact (friend of current listed player) - that Lonie is likely gone.

No news on if we get Higgins though.

Nee!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

For mine ... Lonie stays unless Higgins comes. Higgins is a massive upgrade on Lonie but Lonie is better than anything similar that we have.

Kent getting 3 years is reflective of you need to pay overs to get someone in. I don’t mind him and he does a ton of unrewarded running off the ball.

McKenzie is the ridiculous - whomever had the final say on that deserves a huge kick in the balls. He wasn’t worthy of a 3 week contract let alone a 3 year one 👎🏼🤮

Go you red, black & white warriors
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

A smart football brain trapped in a 14 year olds body.

I like Lonie , because you can see what he wants to do, but his lack of physical attributes often let him down . Can’t fault his effort. Will fall behind Higgins if he arrives , and is good depth.

But if the pick we get for him helps net us Higgins then you do that deal.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Tue 03 Nov 2020 7:19pm

He’s a muppet!!!
Lonie is better than Kent & Hind with whom he competes for a spot in the team.
Yes Higgins is an upgrade on Lonie but surely we can move on Kent & Hind before Lonie.

I don't get Kent, and I disagree with the unrewarded running or any real physicality in his game.
On top of that he barely gets a kick but would lead the league in kicks on out on the full.
Kent is another dumb decision from the Richo era where we offered long term deals to butt average fringe players.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
beebarry
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 03 Nov 2020 9:12pm For mine ... Lonie stays unless Higgins comes. Higgins is a massive upgrade on Lonie but Lonie is better than anything similar that we have.

Kent getting 3 years is reflective of you need to pay overs to get someone in. I don’t mind him and he does a ton of unrewarded running off the ball.

McKenzie is the ridiculous - whomever had the final say on that deserves a huge kick in the balls. He wasn’t worthy of a 3 week contract let alone a 3 year one 👎🏼🤮
Probably the same people that put MCartin ahead of Petracca and a fee other mind boggling arrangements....where is the queue for the ball kicking please ? I’ll happily pay for that ride

beebarry
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 03 Nov 2020 9:12pm For mine ... Lonie stays unless Higgins comes. Higgins is a massive upgrade on Lonie but Lonie is better than anything similar that we have.

Probably the same people that put MCartin ahead of Petracca and a fee other mind boggling arrangements....where is the queue for the ball kicking please ? I’ll happily pay for that ride

beebarry
Club Player

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 03 Nov 2020 9:39pm
saintbob wrote: Tue 03 Nov 2020 7:19pm

He’s a muppet!!!
Lonie is better than Kent & Hind with whom he competes for a spot in the team.
Yes Higgins is an upgrade on Lonie but surely we can move on Kent & Hind before Lonie.

I don't get Kent, and I disagree with the unrewarded running or any real physicality in his game.
On top of that he barely gets a kick but would lead the league in kicks on out on the full.
Kent is another dumb decision from the Richo era where we offered long term deals to butt average fringe players.
Has some very good patches in games but goes missing .
And yes, his out of bounds on the full stats are bad.

A few times he turned from hero to zero as he used his straight line pace to break away from a crowded wing/ half back streamed forward and kicked out on the full

Nee!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

See you later. I prefer Hind

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

I'm pretty comfortable not spending much cap space on small forwards, unless we're talking about somebody of Butler's calibre. If we're talking fringe players, I'd much rather play a slightly worse, cheaper option and save that money to keep stars and, if possible, attract stars from other clubs. If the Dogs want to take a shot at Lonie being their Butler, I'm fine with it. It might work. He was tied for 8th in forward 50 tackles. He gets a lot of shots on goals (and misses a lot). We've had him for five years. I feel like he's a known quantity. I'm fine with him staying, I'm fine with him going. Also, I feel like we went through this dance on his last contract.

With Crouch likely coming in, potentially sending Gresham forward more, as well as possibly Higgins, it makes sense to move guys on. Those guys can do the defensive stuff and have a lot more attack in them. I'd also rather move Kent than Lonie, but who the heck wants to take Kent? If people want to give us stuff for guys like Hind and Lonie, then I'm okay with moving them and keeping Kent. Hopefully somebody can take his spot. If we're starting with a forward line of King/Marshall/Membrey/Butler/Gresham/Higgins, show me the problem.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Positives
Good footy brain
His pressure game is above average
Has an eye for goal
Good at generating free kicks when tackled
Great character

Negatives
No right foot
Not quick
Struggles to mark overhead
Can be easily brushed aside
Unlikely to kick a bag
Unlikely to be used through the middle in bursts

Verdict
You can understand why Lonie is a likable player however I feel the negatives outweigh the positives and further improvement is limited

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Leo.J
SS Life Member

My main issue with Lonie is that he cannot compete one on one in the air.

I know his main role is to contest at ground level, and apply fwd pressure, but it's a no contest once the ball is in the air.

Most of the best small fwds can at least bring the ball to ground when in a one on one.

So once you add that to the list of his other deficiencies like rarely being able to stick tackles, and missing goals regularly I'm ok with him leaving.

minneapolis
Club Player

If the Bulldogs want to give us picks for Bruce and Lonie, I will happily take them.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote: Wed 04 Nov 2020 7:04am My main issue with Lonie is that he cannot compete one on one in the air.

I know his main role is to contest at ground level, and apply fwd pressure, but it's a no contest once the ball is in the air.

Most of the best small fwds can at least bring the ball to ground when in a one on one.

So once you add that to the list of his other deficiencies like rarely being able to stick tackles, and missing goals regularly I'm ok with him leaving.
Tracking their stats to the same age, there isn't much daylight between the two. Higgins is definitely a better mark, maybe not as solid defensively but ok, and for me the main differences are overall skill, 2cm and 8 kg.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Lonie has deficiencies but if we get Higgins he is good insurance.

Not best 25.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

So Bruce last year, Lonie this year. If they pick up Ross next year they can finally sack Beveridge and get Richo in.