The Billings Dilemma

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmike65
Club Player

The Billings Dilemma

Ever since his draft year, it seems Jack Billings has been a topic of conversation amongst our supporters.
Is he a forward, is he a midfielder, is he overrated, should he be traded?
I have no definitive answer, however, I'll put in my two bobs worth, for what it's worth.
In my view, he should be played as a high half forward, mainly covering the 2 arcs, using his kicking skills for forward 50 entries, the quality of which separates the good teams from the also rans.
He isn't physical enough to be played in the guts and I would like to see Hannebery or Clarke rotated between wing & on ball roles.
Unfortunately, we need to protect Hannebery as much as possible if we want to maximise his games output.
Keen to get fellow saints fans thoughts.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Billings Dilemma

What a club needs most out of any player, whether they are the most skilled or least skilled is FANATICAL competitiveness.
Geary has the worst skills ever but every time he goes near the ball the one thing that is guaranteed is his FANATICISM.
Bontempelli and Cripps are fanatically competitive.

Can anyone claim fanatical competitiveness for Jack Billings.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Billings is the best kick in our club and one of the best in the AFL. Generally when he kicks the ball we score. He is almost our most important player.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

I think it's worth trying him forward again. He was always able to win plenty of the ball in that role and delivery well to other forwards but he failed before because he couldn't kick straight.

In the last two years he's been an accurate kick for goal and it might be worth re-visiting him in an 80:20 forward role.

He had 60 shots at goal in 2017 playing this role, if he kicks straight that's probably 35-40 goals.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Fri 30 Oct 2020 10:39am I think it's worth trying him forward again. He was always able to win plenty of the ball in that role and delivery well to other forwards but he failed before because he couldn't kick straight.

In the last two years he's been an accurate kick for goal and it might be worth re-visiting him in an 80:20 forward role.

He had 60 shots at goal in 2017 playing this role, if he kicks straight that's probably 35-40 goals.
I agree. I think he's most valuable forward of the centre. If he has 50+ shots at goal and the same number of goal assists, he's very valuable.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I like him as a high half forward also. That’s his ideal spot where he can be dangerous if he can find space.

Cordz2
Club Player

Low Competitiveness is Billings’ weakness. I mean low for AFL standard, it’s probably high vs the general public.
It means he can’t make it to A grade, but doesn’t mean he’s not a quality player to hold onto. If we traded a guy who performs like Billing’s does, I think we’d be fairly happy.

resaintlee
Club Player

I have wondered whether he was downplaying in order to get to the pies, or that he might just be an extremely serious(as per Harvey) trainer and perfectionist who may have copped a bit of ribbing from some players we traded out. Remember those film clips from last year showing life around the club?

Vazelos
Club Player

Saintmike65 I agree with you to an extent he is better as a HF as he marks well for his height I think the old footy vernacular is " He plays tall.".
He has a cultured left foot not sure how accurate it is for goal but that would hopefully be a strength for him.
His weakness is his consistent competitiveness & lack of agility & speed when chasing the ball and pressing.
Look at Richmond's half forwards and small forwards defenders would navigate around him too easily thats the issue.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

no dilemma for me...decent trade bait.
He just didn't improve as much as I had hoped.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Needs space to operate in as a dangerous half forward. Hopefully a return to full-length games will provide more of that.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Fri 30 Oct 2020 11:52am no dilemma for me...decent trade bait.
He just didn't improve as much as I had hoped.
I agree no dilemma, but it's because we hold onto him.

Fit, smart and skilled.

Keep.

Nee!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Agree with the OP, very dangerous high half forward was fantastic in this role in 2017/18 from memory.
The club needs to add class and skill, not trade it out.

You salivate over a forward line of King, Marshall, Membrey, Butler, Billings, Higgins, Gresham with others rotating through.

Not every player can be as tough as Geary & Webster, but how many clubs would put a hard tag on Geary or Webster.

Billings style is not physical, it's not his nature but he takes his turn and puts his head over it when he has to and is quite courageous when spoiling or backing back with the flight in a marking contest particularly in defence.

People expect a champion because he's a classy mover and was pick 3 which IMO is unrealistic.
He's good player who should play 250 AFL games, and hopefully all for the Saints.
He's a win at #3 IMO regardless of who was #4.

It's guys like Billings that add the cream when you have built your list to challenger status.
I liken him to Titch Edwards who was a good solid player but reached A grade status when Richmond built a premiership list and he was able to rotate forward/mid and "get off the chain" and use his gifts.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Fri 30 Oct 2020 9:46am .
Keen to get fellow saints fans thoughts.

Yes he is a very good outside player. Not an inside one, though you might occasionally rotate him through the inside mids rotations.

HFF, Wing, HB are all positions he can play very well.

He is good at setting up other with quality ball use.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

He’s a good player with the potential to be elite though he hasn’t got there as we liked

I just don’t feel like it’s good form to trade players like that out unless the offer is too good.

No way would I lose him for a draft pick

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

People seem to focus on his quiet games and choose to ignore his good games. He's still a very good player in my view, and with a coach who values players with foot skills I expect he's going nowhere

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

I'm actually personally as satisfied with a premiership as I am with the club developing A grade talent and helping people become star players. Even though our golden generation didn't ultimately win the prize it was still an enormously thrilling thing to watch young men reach the height of their powers. It's why I love sport.

My only problem with Jack and his undeniable brilliance and talent is that he hasn't yet become the player his promise demands. By all reports he's an impressive and diligent trainer so it's not that. I'd just love to see even one of our guys -- mostly Clarke and Maxxy -- move into the elite game winning level. Jack has the potential to do this so I think trading him would be insane but the clock is ticking.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

People need to stop comparing him to Bontompelli.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Skillful, but no pro-active enough

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Keep him and play him instead of Kent in the same role

Saintmike65
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 30 Oct 2020 1:50pm Agree with the OP, very dangerous high half forward was fantastic in this role in 2017/18 from memory.
The club needs to add class and skill, not trade it out.

You salivate over a forward line of King, Marshall, Membrey, Butler, Billings, Higgins, Gresham with others rotating through.

Not every player can be as tough as Geary & Webster, but how many clubs would put a hard tag on Geary or Webster.

Billings style is not physical, it's not his nature but he takes his turn and puts his head over it when he has to and is quite courageous when spoiling or backing back with the flight in a marking contest particularly in defence.

People expect a champion because he's a classy mover and was pick 3 which IMO is unrealistic.
He's good player who should play 250 AFL games, and hopefully all for the Saints.
He's a win at #3 IMO regardless of who was #4.

It's guys like Billings that add the cream when you have built your list to challenger status.
I liken him to Titch Edwards who was a good solid player but reached A grade status when Richmond built a premiership list and he was able to rotate forward/mid and "get off the chain" and use his gifts.

Great summation, really enjoyed reading your reply...going to be an interesting trade period, don't know about you but it's my favorite time of the year!

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Goose is king wrote: Fri 30 Oct 2020 5:53pm Keep him and play him instead of Kent in the same role
Nailed it.

And can you imagine trading Jack while keeping Kent?

Play Jack in position and he’ll turn it on. He’s not a utility player.

Gershwin
Club Player

[*]Moods reckons he is on $800,000 a year which would make him one of our most highly paid players yet he finishes only 11th in our B&F. That is the dilemma. He just doesn’t have enough impact on games.

summertime and the living is easy ........
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Fri 30 Oct 2020 7:48pm [*]Moods reckons he is on $800,000 a year which would make him one of our most highly paid players yet he finishes only 11th in our B&F. That is the dilemma. He just doesn’t have enough impact on games.

had a lot more than the bloke on $900k

saintkid
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Fri 30 Oct 2020 8:39pm
Gershwin wrote: Fri 30 Oct 2020 7:48pm [*]Moods reckons he is on $800,000 a year which would make him one of our most highly paid players yet he finishes only 11th in our B&F. That is the dilemma. He just doesn’t have enough impact on games.

had a lot more than the bloke on $900k
This is our weakness going forward. Our 3 highest paid players in Hannebery, Hill and Billings,on performance, do not deserve the money they are on, are not our best 3 players on the list and are not going to be. Steele is our best player now and should be our highest paid, Marshall is on his way up there, Clark and Coffield will pass them and so will King.