Trade Period Part 2- go do your thing Gubby

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade Period Part 2- go do your thing Gubby

saynta wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 4:23pm
Toy Saint wrote: Sun 11 Oct 2020 10:57pm Can somebody remind me what draft picks we have? As I recall, we traded some future picks last year.

Given we finished 5th we probably get pick 14 + 32 + 50

And when does the official trade period begin?
Not even close/

Picks as at 27 September

St Kilda 14, 58, 73, 86

First pick should now be 15.
Toy the club would have had picks 14, 32, 50, 68, 86.
But the AFL has already given Gold Coast pick 11 as a priority pick ahead of the teams that played finals.
That moves St Kilda's picks to 15, 33, ,51, 69, 87.

But last year St Kilda used all but the first and last of those 2020 picks in 2019 trades.
They now reside with other clubs.
But we do have pick 58 a fourth round pick from Sydney and pick 71 a fourth round pick from Port Adelaide as a result of those trades.
So at the moment we have picks 15, 58, 71, 87.

But that will change as a result of the AFL granting free agency compensation picks.
If for instance St Kilda gets Crouch from Adelaide as a free agent then Adelaide could get pick 2 or pick 21 as compensation.
All picks after will be displaced by one place.
Pick 15 could become 16 if Adelaide gets pick 2.
The other picks would become 59, 72, 88 if Adelaide gets either pick 2 or pick 21.

But there will be other free agency compensations.
If Jeremy Cameron leaves GWS as a free agent all our picks are likely to be displaced back one step.

Then there will be player and pick trading not only of 2020 picks but 2021 so clubs will end up with massive pick changes.

Then on the night clubs will have the opportunity to queue jump for father/son and academy picks.
They deploy their next pick or picks but only 80% of the points are taken or a discount of 197 points after pick 18.
Any remainder points slot in as another pick later in draft based on points remaining.
If clubs deploy multiple picks then everyone advances places.

Then on the night clubs can trade picks to move up or down the draft order.

It is not simple game, it is a moving target.
Those who master the game best have an advantage.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Sun 25 Oct 2020 9:18am Given we have a poor draft hand, we need to look at dispensable players with trade currency.
In my view they are Webster, Savage, Kent, Hind, Lonie, Carlisle, Dunstan, Phillips...of course, not all will be traded but it's a starting point.
Interested to hear fellow forum members thoughts?
Include Parker
Add McKenzie and Joyce but probably have no value.
But they are list clogging now.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

What's available at Sydney.
Finished third bottom.
Still have 2 years left to run on Franklin' 9 year $10 million deal.
Getting no output for a crushing $1 million ripped out of their salary cap per year.
Buddy is not going to give up that $2million "for the club he loves".

You can add $100,000 reward to 10 players for $1million.
Players need to leave to get paid better.

So who is available ?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

According to BF Jack Higgins is to be traded to the Saints, perhaps that suggests Lonie is on his way out.

Rocket
Club Player

Upgrade if true. Lonie has a crack but just gets pushed off ball too easy ... much rather Higgins

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Rocket wrote: Mon 26 Oct 2020 7:01pm Upgrade if true. Lonie has a crack but just gets pushed off ball too easy ... much rather Higgins
I was a big fan of Higgins the year he was drafted but knew he was outside our range.

Outside of the odd highlight reel clip... has made no impression on me whatsoever

Is he any good?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From Gags a real ITK

foxsports.com.au

"SAINTS HUNTING TALLS AS WELL AS CROUCH

St Kilda list manager James Gallagher has confirmed the club is on the lookout for a tall utility at either end of the ground, but will largely be focusing on the deal for Crow Brad Crouch.

The free agent has nominated the Saints as his club of choice for 2021, with Adelaide having the ability to match any offer.

It could cause the two clubs to come to a trade agreement, with Gallagher confirming it would be a quieter trade and free agency period for the top eight side.

“(It’s) fair to say we won’t be as active as we were last year,” he said on Trade Radio.

“We made a lot of change and we think we have done a quite a bit of work.

“We’re growing, but need one or two to come in in this trade and free agency period to help our group improve again.

“I’m not sure what the compensation will look like for the Crows. We’ve put a really fair deal to Brad. We’re still working through the fine points of it with his management.

“You’ll get a reasonable idea of that deal when the compensation is announced when we lodge with the AFL, which opens at the end of the year.”

Gallagher didn’t want to be drawn into the specifics over the length and financial figure for Crouch, but confirmed Shaun McKernan was a player of interest for the Saints.

“It is more one that we were so impressed in Kingy in basically his first year of AFL. We see a big future for Max and we love having him at our footy club,” he said.

“But I reckon we are a little bit exposed if we get the wrong injury in the wrong spot, that’s not just Max. Our team worked well when we had the two tall forwards and Membrey.

“We don’t want to be compromised with our structure if we get the wrong injury in the wrong position.

“It’s not an area of the ground that we will throw a lot of assets and money at. We think we’ve got our number one forward, but we just need some more support if we get the wrong injury in the wrong position.

“He (McKernan) is one of a few. He has finished up at Essendon. There’s a few marking forward types who are out of contract or finishing up at their current clubs and we have made number of calls to their management, but he‘s one.

As for Ben Brown, Gallagher said “I’m not going to rule anyone in or out, it’s early days. We’ve got a guy in Max King that we think is going to be our No.1 key forward and we will make sure that is the case and he gets the support and development that we hope he becomes.”

Gallagher on:

KEY DEFENDER:

“Possibly. Bit similar to the forward line. We played Dougal and Jake most of the year and that combination seemed to work. Even in the finals, Cal Wilkie (did a good job). That is an area of the ground we may look to stiffen up with next year.”

CALDWELL:

“I think it was a factor in his thinking, I’m not going to speak for Jye and his management. When we got indication he was looking to come back to Melbourne, we wanted to have a chat. It may have come into his thinking.”

LIST SIZES:

“We don’t feel like we are closer to a resolution.”

JIMMY WEBSTER AND LUKE DUNSTAN:

“They’re both contracted and they are both good AFL players. It’s just the way the season worked. They both got injured at the wrong time. Contracted for next year and at this stage we have had no indication that they won’t be with the Saints in 2021.”

DEALS FOR CARLISLE AND LONIE:

“Hopefully get a resolution sooner rather than later. We’ve got a deal in front of him (Carlisle) with his management. Hopefully that gets sorted in the next few days or week. We’ve got a deal in front of Lones and his management at the moment. I think we will know more there in the coming days. I did read there was some interest. I’m not sure if that’s absolutely the case, but hopefully we get a resolution sooner than later.”