Coaching Sincerity

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Coaching Sincerity

Love your opinions. I give C. Scott credit for his ability to deflect, use human behaviour theory references not often part of footy talk and subtly put others forward as the reason Geelong lose. But unless you are a 16yr old draftee or a footy journo most would see the BS for what it is. It may account for why his teams, full of talent, fail the finals test so often under pressure. Our coach is sincere, does not deflect and it seems it works in getting the team playing for him. Hardwick on the other hand seems to have two personas he trots out. The gosh golly, shucks, reasonable media one and the tough take no prisoners one the players experience. The latter seems the sincere one and the players respond to that while appreciating his media stage craft when he brings out the other. That guy Cook in charge of Geelong must be having some thoughts about whether keeping Scott as coach is past its use by date - but he may be a little intimidated by Scott, like the media. I much prefer our man, what you see is what you get. Of course Richo was similar but his message sterile. Go Ratts, yes?

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Coaching Sincerity

Very happy with Ratts
To take us from 14th to 5 th and with a team of new players to intergrate.
He is in the trenches with the players and the whole club feels connected for the first time I can remember.
Even in the Lyon and Grant days there as so much ego involved that you never had the sense the club was together like it has been under the current regime.

We were a few straight kicks from scaring the bejesus out of the Tigers....not far away at all.

You'd be pretty happy to land at StKilda under Ratten in 2021.

Chris Scott....has done well to keep getting his squad there. Not a big fan of his persona though.

Ratten has been through the long dark night of the soul nd you feel he has come through with a big picture on life. That's what his charges respond to.

Nee!
Leo.J
SS Life Member

fugazi wrote: Sun 25 Oct 2020 1:49pm ...Chris Scott....has done well to keep getting his squad there. Not a big fan of his persona though...
While Scott appears to know what he's doing, he does have one of the better lists in the comp...with their experience they could largely coach themselves.

He is touted as being one of the better match day coaches, because he is able to make moves which change the course of a game. Makes it easier when you have players like Danger and Gary Jnr at your disposal.

But despite what he has at his disposal I feel like he focuses on taking away strengths from the opposition too much, rather than focusing on their strength, and building a game plan around that. Apart from their possession game, their press and defensive zone it's sometimes hard to define what they stand for.

While Richmond have Dusty, they do have an MO that they use week in week out, with what appears to be minor adjustments depending on who they come up against, they know their opposition, but their main focus is on what they do themselves.

Scott's method works against the lesser sides, and will ambush some of the good sides, but when it comes to the title fights they usually get out gunned.

From what I've seen Ratts has the balance right which I find reassuring.

Beveridge is another who like Scott is too focused on the opposition, and is rated highly for his match day coaching. His swing men are mainly the Bont and Daniel, both Scott and Beveridge have had early success with flags which is great, but once you know who their swing men are and have worked them out, there's not a lot of substance to how they roll.

Josh Battle
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 25 Oct 2020 1:36pm
I give C. Scott credit for his ability to deflect
There was an interesting fact that came up on the screen just before the start of the last quarter.

Only one coach in the last 35 years has lost a Grand Final, after leading on the scoreboard at 3 quarter time.

The year was 2009. The Saints coach at the time outperformed Scott when it came to deflecting

...btw...for those that forgot last nights score...Richmond were in front at 3 qtr time so Ross Lyon still holds that infamous record

Many on here still think it was the players fault or that we were unlucky to have lost some of our momentum leading in to the finals
Last edited by Josh Battle on Sun 25 Oct 2020 7:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Hardwick interviewed at Essendon before he took on the Richmond job.

His laptop would not cooperate in the interview so they could not watch his presentation or whatnot.

No second chances. They called him unprofessional.

Then they hired James Hird.

Then that club ruined talkback radio for three years.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Sun 25 Oct 2020 6:57pm
There was an interesting fact that came up on the screen just before the start of the last quarter.

Only one coach in the last 35 years has lost a Grand Final, after leading on the scoreboard at 3 quarter time.

The year was 2009. The Saints coach at the time outperformed Scott when it came to deflecting

...btw...for those that forgot last nights score...Richmond were in front at 3 qtr time so Ross Lyon still holds that infamous record

Many on here still think it was the players fault or that we were unlucky to have lost some of our momentum leading in to the finals
Not me mate, I absolutely know for certain whose f****** fault it was, and his name rhymes with tosser. :twisted: Luke Ball says hi.

darylcowie
Club Player

Josh Battle wrote: Sun 25 Oct 2020 6:57pm

By the way, I'm old enough to remember the GF from 36 years ago in 1984 when Hawthorn led Essendon by 4 goals at 3/4 time and lost by 4 goals.

We also led the 1971 GF by 4 goals at 3/4 time and managed to get overrun similarly!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!