Tom Phillips??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Tom Phillips??

For the right price, would he improve our best 22? Looks like the Pies have salary cap issues (hence the Treloar situation) and perhaps Phillips is part of the strategy to get it under control. Personally, I see moderate value in him, especially if Clark goes into the midfield permanently and vacates that back flank position. However, is Phillips a better player than Roberton or Webster?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom Phillips??

No he can't kick.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

One Phillips is enough and we have the better one anyway.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 16 Oct 2020 12:34pm For the right price, would he improve our best 22? Looks like the Pies have salary cap issues (hence the Treloar situation) and perhaps Phillips is part of the strategy to get it under control. Personally, I see moderate value in him, especially if Clark goes into the midfield permanently and vacates that back flank position. However, is Phillips a better player than Roberton or Webster?
I think we have to prepare for life after Robbo.

Won't surprise me if there is discuss on either side of the fence for him to exit the game.

I think webster is the most likely to be kept around to take Hunters spot after he moves into a full time midfielder role.

Having said that Jimmy probably is the only player on the fringes with currency and it won't surprise me if he gets traded out.

Tom Phillips had a great year in 2018 when the Pies were flying.

older saint
SS Life Member

Every Collingwood supporter I speak to says same thing

Great endurance can find the footy but disposal lets him down too often.

No thanks unless well under market value as we need good ball users

SaintPelican66
Club Player

Why are we all so eager to pinch players from other cubs? Have we become another Hawthorn? If we can grab Caldwell from GWS then go for it. Taranto is a pipe dream and won't be happening.

What I would like to see is us trading our fringe players out for more picks. Then package up 4 or 5 picks plus another fringe player to grab another pick in the low 20's and take that to the draft.

If we keep adding good youngsters every year our premiership window will remain open for much longer.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

OMG

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Gershwin
Club Player

From a keen Collingwood supporter:

"As much as I’ve enjoyed flipper, he kills you with turnovers and poor decision making. An absolute gut runner with a massive tank who can easily cover the turf but he’d be up there with the Gaff’s of the world if he could hit a target and be clinical in front of goal."

summertime and the living is easy ........
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Fri 16 Oct 2020 6:10pm From a keen Collingwood supporter:

"As much as I’ve enjoyed flipper, he kills you with turnovers and poor decision making. An absolute gut runner with a massive tank who can easily cover the turf but he’d be up there with the Gaff’s of the world if he could hit a target and be clinical in front of goal."
Based on that Richo would have loved him, hope we give him a wide birth.
Essendon or Geelong can have him, they want everyone else.
If they so No then there's always the basket case, Norf Melbourne, they need to re-stock their list.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
bigred
Saintsational Legend

A couple of years back he was almost their best player.

But holy shyt he butchers it.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Leo.J
SS Life Member

If he’s not a good kick we won’t get him.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Fri 16 Oct 2020 2:05pm Why are we all so eager to pinch players from other cubs? Have we become another Hawthorn? If we can grab Caldwell from GWS then go for it. Taranto is a pipe dream and won't be happening.

What I would like to see is us trading our fringe players out for more picks. Then package up 4 or 5 picks plus another fringe player to grab another pick in the low 20's and take that to the draft.

If we keep adding good youngsters every year our premiership window will remain open for much longer.
I hope we are! I'd love to win one flag, let alone 3 in row plus a flag or flags every decade from the 70's.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 17 Oct 2020 10:34am
SaintPelican66 wrote: Fri 16 Oct 2020 2:05pm Why are we all so eager to pinch players from other cubs? Have we become another Hawthorn? If we can grab Caldwell from GWS then go for it. Taranto is a pipe dream and won't be happening.

I hope we are! I'd love to win one flag, let alone 3 in row plus a flag or flags every decade from the 70's.
But the strategy that Hawthorn are using now will get them nowhere. Their list is one of the worst in the AFL and it is getting worse. I know they have heaps of flags in the bag but they are in for a world of pain by continuing to top up. They will not threaten to win a flag for at leats 10 years. One can only hope the same thing will happen to Geelong as well.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Tom Phillips was on a par with Billings stat-wise this year if you do a comparison .... and has a very similar disposal count, disposal efficiency and metres gained, and is a few months' younger than Billings.
He's similarly an "outside" player, predominantly.

Sounds okay to me - not elite-skilled, but if we recruit Phillips, Billings can play forward, replacing a small - this could incrementally improve us as a side ?

ace
Saintsational Legend

No let the filth keep Phillips.
Trade our Phillips for Treloar.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 17 Oct 2020 3:05pm Tom Phillips was on a par with Billings stat-wise this year if you do a comparison .... and has a very similar disposal count, disposal efficiency and metres gained, and is a few months' younger than Billings.
He's similarly an "outside" player, predominantly.

Sounds okay to me - not elite-skilled, but if we recruit Phillips, Billings can play forward, replacing a small - this could incrementally improve us as a side ?
Phillips is one of the worst kicks in the AFL. Teams let him kick the ball.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Interesting you saw in tonight’s game where cats were just that but cleaner and made better decisions in the big moments....that’s where carrying too many less skilled money ball types hurt you and finals often come down to a few moments...

No to people who can’t use the ball moderate to good

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 12:27am

Interesting you saw in tonight’s game where cats were just that but cleaner and made better decisions in the big moments....that’s where carrying too many less skilled money ball types hurt you and finals often come down to a few moments...

I wonder how long it'll take for people to turn on Zak Jones. We didn't recruit him for his precision kicking did we?

takeaway
Club Player

Yes, skilled ball users are very valuable. So now you've decided to keep Billings?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 7:51am

Yes, skilled ball users are very valuable. So now you've decided to keep Billings?
Aaron Fiora was a skilled ball user.

takeaway
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 8:15am

So was Harry Horsenail.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 8:15am

Ouch!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Aaron's nickname was Tripod.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Not if he gets me Taranto
And I think Billings kicking is overrated his set shots under pressure are always a disappointment
But hey you’re all for stats.....and that’s all that matter right?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 5:49am

I wonder how long it'll take for people to turn on Zak Jones. We didn't recruit him for his precision kicking did we?
We can’t have a full side full of Buckley’s thought it’d be nice.....
It’s a balance but for mine you want Jones pushed down your mid pecking order....he gets you grunt and meters but he’s not cream

“Yeah….nah””