Paddy, fit and symptom free.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy, fit and symptom free.

Leo.J wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 1:24am https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=C&type=T

Interesting comparison.
Try this: Change the 'Career' drop down selection to 'At Same Age'

That will give you a better look at how much better Ben King is travelling at this stage of his career (compared to our 2014 Number 1 draft selection)

Paddy could not perform with any consistency for a patch of games or even for a sustained period for 4 complete quarters in 1 game

ace
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 7:26am
Leo.J wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 1:24am https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=C&type=T

Interesting comparison.

That will give you a better look at how much better Ben King is travelling at this stage of his career (compared to our 2014 Number 1 draft selection)

Paddy could not perform with any consistency for a patch of games or even for a sustained period for 4 complete quarters in 1 game
Don't forget to click GO to change the stats.
Now compare to a guy called Tony Lockett at the same age.

From the very start Lockett was way ahead of King who is ahead of McCartin.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

me personally ... thinks paddy should stay away from
playing footy
but
if he is determined to play

we (the Club) should back him in
... to see if he is capable

thats all i’m saying

and if he’s not ... trade or delist after a fair crack at it

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
happy feet
Club Player

I think we all had hoped that Paddy would end up being a champion football player for our club, but unfortunately he did not. Multiple concussions have left him out of the game for a long time, so long that the Club had no other option than to delist him. So for Paddy, the dream was over, or was it?

As much sympathy as I have for this young man, if he returned to football he is only one head knock away from damaging his health and the research being done at present seems to indicate that the effects of multiple concussions will return as he ages.

I sincerely hope that Paddy has had a mentor who is encouraging him not to place all his eggs in the one basket, that there are so many options for his future away from football.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Interesting comparison.

Marking and setshot accuracy stats for King is much worse than Paddy's.

It's possible King might end up becoming a ruckman if he doesn't rid himself of his technical flaws.

And it makes me think the club must be very concerned about King's technical flaws if they are looking to re recruit Paddy and bring in Ben Brown.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 9:16am

Interesting comparison.

It's possible King might end up becoming a ruckman if he doesn't rid himself of his technical flaws.

And it makes me think the club must be very concerned about King's technical flaws if they are looking to re recruit Paddy and bring in Ben Brown.
King was 12th in the AFL (out of 700+ players) for contested marks in his first proper season...

Another brilliant call from SK!

:lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 10:10am

Interesting comparison.

King was 12th in the AFL (out of 700+ players) for contested marks in his first proper season...

Yeah but Asterisk 12th.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Interesting comparison.

This is true, he did have trouble staying on the park. But talent was not an issue. And it’s really difficult to show your full potential when you can’t get out there regularly.

Combine that with a coach that had a game plan and ideas of how a young gun key fwd should play that did not suit Paddy, Imo he contributed to his problems. Had he had a different coach I reckon he’d have a different result. Most good coaches are flexible enough with their game plan to accommodate the cattle they have. Especially your potential marquee talent. Richo tried to mould him in to a bash and crash running beast, which he was not. Most young fwds coming out of the NAB league aren’t that straight away, they grow into that. Paddy was a very good contested mark, his stats show that, we saw that. He needed more time to become what Richo wanted. Max King struggles with the fitness levels required, which is why his kicking and marking lets him down at times, and he has not been taught to crash packs, he’s expected to either mark it or bring it to ground. If Max was taught the same as Paddy there’s a chance he’d not be out there as much either. This why Max doesn’t go in the ruck, good long term management.

Change the stats thing to averages at the same age. Then change it to Max King. It shows Paddy was just as good stats wise as BK and MK. Paddy also got the best defender each week when he started. I remember the day he broke his collar bone. He’d kicked 2 in the first quarter against Rance. His last goal after he broke it.

So yes he would be a risk. But if Paddy, his family and doctors are backing him to play again then I reckon he’s worth the risk considering his potential talent, his price, and the kids determination.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 10:31am
The_Dud wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 10:10am

Interesting comparison.

Yeah but Asterisk 12th.
🤦‍♂️

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
ace
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 26 Sep 2020 11:35am Bains and Elshaug should be putting him through his paces right now ... see if he comes through for them.
If Bains still loves him he can insist the Dogs take him as a list clogger.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

So yes he would be a risk. But if Paddy, his family and doctors are backing him to play again then I reckon he’s worth the risk considering his potential talent, his price, and the kids determination.
+1 from me

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 2:13pm
+1 from me
-1,000,000 from me

Take the sentiment and emotion out of the decision making and take a risk on any other player rather than this bloke. It's a contact sport ffs.

He's shown that he's not durable.

minneapolis
Club Player

asiu wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 2:13pm
+1 from me
I doubt that his family and his doctors are "backing him to play again".

The docs don't know what are the consequences of the next concussion. The are just saying that the current concussion is healed (and it took more than a year to heal!) and that you are the same brain composition as before your latest concussion - which is all that we can see with the current scanning technology we can't predict what your previous 8 brain injuries will cause later in your life.

His family are saying that I will not walk away from you if you play. That is a lot different from saying "Hey son don't give up the game just in case you get concussed again" (Which by the way he definitely will. It is inevitable.)

So Paddy wants to play and is spinning as best he can to get a contract. Including "docs and family" on-side. Fair enough.

I really really doubt any AFL club will offer him a contract. So it's mostly a moot argument.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Fair enough.

I’m just taking the article on face value.

I don’t know a lot about concussion except for my own experience with it. But what I do know is we don’t know enough about it to make definite judgements on it. There’s still a lot of unknowns when it comes to the workings of the brain.

From what I understand most large sporting organisations are becoming much more conservative with their approach towards it through fear of future legal costs. which is why I reckon Paddy will find it hard to play again.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

It has a North Melbourne McCarthy ring to it.

If he wants to play, we might be obliged to give him that chance. Can St Kilda really say no? What about the club ‘values’? Even transcends that, AFL values? Humanist values? Message to youth etc., AFLPA may also have a position.

So he maybe on the list even though,

1) it’s dangerous for his health and the health of his loved ones
2) He may only get selected for Sandy and essentially be taking a list place (sounds harsh, I can’t judge...
3) He is not proven to be good enough even uninjured by all the regular and rational means of assessing these things
4) Media will be looking for a slip up ( shouldn’t be a reason to make decisions I suppose)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Devilhead wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 7:02pm
kosifantutti wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 6:37pm “ The clearance to keep the prospect of football alive came after an AFL panel of concussion experts assessed McCartin's situation.”
Gillon McLachlan, Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Steve Hocking, Glen Jakovich, Chris Johnson, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea.
kosifantutti wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 6:37pm “ He estimates he's had 10 scans at the Florey Institute between 2016 and 2019 and his brain was declared fit after his most recent scan.”
Was his brain inside or outside of his body?
kosifantutti wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 6:37pm "They [concussion experts] have said to me is that at the time it was a significant injury and significant in terms of symptoms and how I was feeling but they also said that with the right treatment and the right processes in place that it would all subside and that it would all go back to normal."
Until the next hit on his head :shock:
Nah it's all good
A subcommittee from the panel of experts have announced new rule changes to take effect in 2021
All players will now be provided with inflatable sumo suits
Which will satisfy the medical profession on 2 frontS
Covid social distancing requirements and decreased chance of collision injuries

Seeya
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Piece in yesterday's Age about kosi strongly recommending Paddy thinks again.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Symptom free.
Prove it.
Show me anywhere that McCartin has said he recognises wanting to play AFL again would be proof of symptoms.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

One thing to be jogging around an oval and feeling fit and symptom free, another thing to copping a big hit playing AFL. That's all it will take, sadly, maybe not even that. The last concussion he had was from a glancing blow in a marking contest that would not have bothered most players. For the sake of his future he should not return to football.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I don't believe the AFL has given Paddy approval to play yet so Paddy might not even get to first base with his comeback plans.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Sombersainter
Club Player

a disaster selection from start to finish for the club and player and I'm not eager to have more trouble.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

freely wrote: Sun 11 Oct 2020 10:38am Piece in yesterday's Age about kosi strongly recommending Paddy thinks again.
Anyone who listened to Kozi on SEN recently would know that (a) sadly, he sounds not great (b) knows what he's talking about in this area and (c) should be listened to in this area.

I'm not a Dr but there's no part of me that would want Paddy on an Ammos footy field let alone on an AFL one if I was his Father.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 5:00pm
freely wrote: Sun 11 Oct 2020 10:38am Piece in yesterday's Age about kosi strongly recommending Paddy thinks again.
Anyone who listened to Kozi on SEN recently would know that (a) sadly, he sounds not great (b) knows what he's talking about in this area and (c) should be listened to in this area.

I'm not a Dr but there's no part of me that would want Paddy on an Ammos footy field let alone on an AFL one if I was his Father.
Kosi had a pretty severe brain injury. When he got cleaned up by Gia he had brain fluid coming out of his ear.

Different to Paddy’s situation.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Would 100% take Paddy if he is given the all clear. Him and King would be a fantastic combination.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

I actually think in today's environment Kosi would never have played again after the hit from Giansiracusa.

And he was literally never as good from that moment onwards.