Brad Hill

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintkid
Club Player

Re: Brad Hill

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 10:57pm
saintkid wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 10:53pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 5:14pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 9:06am Given Fiora and Hill would be undisputed number 1 and 2 in terms of toughness (not sure which order) who would the candidates for the third podium spot be?
Aussie Jones would have to be right up there.
Really? I would put Billings ahead of Aussie Jones any day. Aussie Jones could kick a great goal and was a very good attacking half-back with excellent foot skills in the latter stages of his career.
Aussie was a star. But avoided contact like his life depended on it.
Billings is not much better.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 11:02pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 10:57pm
saintkid wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 10:53pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 5:14pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 9:06am Given Fiora and Hill would be undisputed number 1 and 2 in terms of toughness (not sure which order) who would the candidates for the third podium spot be?
Aussie Jones would have to be right up there.
Really? I would put Billings ahead of Aussie Jones any day. Aussie Jones could kick a great goal and was a very good attacking half-back with excellent foot skills in the latter stages of his career.
Aussie was a star. But avoided contact like his life depended on it.
Billings is not much better.
Yeah but at 1,2 tackles and less than 30% contested possessions, Aussie may just be number 1.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Hill had a crap game, no doubt about that. At times we avoided kicking it across to two of our unmarked players, ready to run, including Hill but we continually kicked it to packs and contests full of Richmond players. This was a result of pressure.
I won't be bagging any of our players or be critical of coaches or drafts when we finished 5th. I'll leave that to you Heroes.
Most people didn't think our drafting was much chop, they were wrong too!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Billings goes in infinitely harder than Hill

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
johnearljames
Club Player

Give Hill a break.

Different sort of a player than a head over the ball onballer. He will dominate at Marvel and in longer games next year. His skill and running is elite. Saints also need to use him better.

Still had a decent year overall and played every game.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
happy feet
Club Player

johnearljames wrote: Sun 11 Oct 2020 9:14am Give Hill a break.

Different sort of a player than a head over the ball onballer. He will dominate at Marvel and in longer games next year. His skill and running is elite. Saints also need to use him better.

Still had a decent year overall and played every game.
100% agree.

We also don't use Hill's speed to our advantage.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Again, the Billings hate is quite confusing. Claims he pulled out of two contests on Friday night is rubbish. Billings takes his turn. To s*** can him yet claim we can get Taranto if we trade him, makes no sense. He's either good or he's not, he has value or he doesn't. Make up your minds.

I read somewhere that he can be covered??? If he was that easy to cover why are Lonie, Kent, Marsh, Sinclair getting games. He's had a better year than Hannebery, Hill and Ross.

Billings is vital for our next Premiership tilt. Has Norm Smith written all over him, maybe, maybe not but I can see him being a Premiership player. If Hill can have 3, JB certainly deserves one.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 11 Oct 2020 10:50am Again, the Billings hate is quite confusing. Claims he pulled out of two contests on Friday night is rubbish. Billings takes his turn. To s*** can him yet claim we can get Taranto if we trade him, makes no sense. He's either good or he's not, he has value or he doesn't. Make up your minds.

I read somewhere that he can be covered??? If he was that easy to cover why are Lonie, Kent, Marsh, Sinclair getting games. He's had a better year than Hannebery, Hill and Ross.

Billings is vital for our next Premiership tilt. Has Norm Smith written all over him, maybe, maybe not but I can see him being a Premiership player. If Hill can have 3, JB certainly deserves one.
Hill got his before the whole league(except our recruiting department) worked out his deficiencies!

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

I suppose we should replace our coach too after such terrible drafting - and an appalling year? Where have you been with Richo for the past five years Whiskers?
Such foolish and silly comments!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 11 Oct 2020 10:50am Again, the Billings hate is quite confusing. Claims he pulled out of two contests on Friday night is rubbish. Billings takes his turn. To s*** can him yet claim we can get Taranto if we trade him, makes no sense. He's either good or he's not, he has value or he doesn't. Make up your minds.

Billings is one of the only blokes in the team who actually knows how to stick a tackle.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 11 Oct 2020 8:15pm

Billings is one of the only blokes in the team who actually knows how to stick a tackle.
This is true, the narrative behind him is disgraceful. JB is respected for his abilities and well liked by the playing group. To want to off load him is folly, it smacks of a hindsight tantrum. Boyd, Kelly, Billings...those that pot him, please show me your picks back then. I'm guessing you were all in the Paddy Mc corner as well???

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote: Sun 11 Oct 2020 6:34pm I suppose we should replace our coach too after such terrible drafting - and an appalling year? Where have you been with Richo for the past five years Whiskers?
Such foolish and silly comments!
English obviously not your first language!
Where did I mention anything about the coach?

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

It must be lovely to have such wit, with a racist edge, my young friend.
You have basically pilloried the coach by ridiculing his choices in the draft. Do you understand?
I might also mention I have seen... Or listened to every Saints final since 1963 ... Hill has played more finals than you have written cogent sentences ... So cease with the mindless arrogance!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote: Sun 11 Oct 2020 10:44pm It must be lovely to have such wit, with a racist edge, my young friend.
You have basically pilloried the coach by ridiculing his choices in the draf
t. Do you understand?
I might also mention I have seen... Or listened to every Saints final since 1963 ... Hill has played more finals than you have written cogent sentences ... So cease with the mindless arrogance!
Can you refer me back to the post where I ridiculed the coaches choices in the draft?
I think you have me mistaken for some other poster!
As for being your young friend... I was born in the 50's! :oops: :cry:

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

So was I ... The fifties ... ok, mate, we are all sainters here, so I believe we should get on.
Maybe we have even met ... Who knows, I have been on this list for 20 years and used to meet up with people on here.
The thing you said that irritated me was this ... "certainly deserves one.
Hill got his before the whole league(except our recruiting department) worked out his deficiencies!"
So you are giving crap to the recruitment Dept, including ratts, who of course would know Hill from his time at Hawthorn.
Hill played a crap game but did some good things this year. I don't care about the money ... he has improved our team, as have all our picks.
He needs to be used to his strengths, he is not gonna be a bull, he is a sprinter ... Fastest in the AFL this year.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

I'm more concerned about the example Hill sets, don't expect Lenny Hayes levels of courage but I believe he falls below the minimum acceptable level.
If he shirks all possibility of physical contact why would younger players on a quarter of his pay put themselves at risk?
People on here used to accuse Dal of being soft- he was Tarzan in comparison to Hill!

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Haha, well ... Dal was not Tarzan but he was built ok ... Let's leave it there. Let's see how next year turns out. Hopefully we can get back to Melbourne footy.

saintkid
Club Player

With all due respect, I cannot believe this comment. There are many times when Billings has been unable to hold a tackle. His physical limitations are still quite obvious. After seven seasons, he should be performing much better and a lot more consistent.

Billings has had a disappointing year and anyone assessing him objectively would draw on this. His performance tonight in the Trevor Barker Award speaks for itself. Another underwhelming year, at an age and stage of his career where he should shine.

Please let's be impartial here and move away from the 'favorites bandwagon' for a moment.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Sun 11 Oct 2020 11:28pm

With all due respect, I cannot believe this comment. There are many times when Billings has been unable to hold a tackle. His physical limitations are still quite obvious. After seven seasons, he should be performing much better and a lot more consistent.

Billings has had a disappointing year and anyone assessing him objectively would draw on this. His performance tonight in the Trevor Barker Award speaks for itself. Another underwhelming year, at an age and stage of his career where he should shine.

Please let's be impartial here and move away from the 'favorites bandwagon' for a moment.
I would suggest if you ever watch the Dogs final again, take note of Billings tackling, where he had the third most for our team (in a low tackle game). Particularly towards the end of the 2nd where a crucial Billings tackle inside D50 saved a goal and led directly to Paddy kicking his first.

So many of our blokes either can’t stick a tackle or allow the opposition to still dispose the ball once being tackled, Billings is one of the few who properly wraps someone up.

resaintlee
Club Player

I must admit that during the last rounds when Hill was so enthusiastic that he might have been on a bonus if we made the finals.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

In his first few years he looked like a high school kid against men and always seem to have that look a bunny gets with the high beam on. He still does.

At his age and draft postion he should be in the top 10 of every TB list. Time to get ruthless and use what currency he has to trade up to a finals capable player.

No disrespect. It is what it is.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 1:20pm

In his first few years he looked like a high school kid against men and always seem to have that look a bunny gets with the high beam on. He still does.

At his age and draft postion he should be in the top 10 of every TB list. Time to get ruthless and use what currency he has to trade up to a finals capable player.

Would you take DeGoey?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
spert
Saintsational Legend

I thought Hill's game against the Tigers was a joke- we paid good money for this guy, and apart from a couple of average to OK games, has been the dud recruitment move this season. Are we stuck with him now?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 1:40pm I thought Hill's game against the Tigers was a joke- we paid good money for this guy, and apart from a couple of average to OK games, has been the dud recruitment move this season. Are we stuck with him now?
Trade bait?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 1:26pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 1:20pm

Would you take DeGoey?