Confirmed. Battle Marsh and Savage In. Tigs Lynch & Broad in

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

silverhalo
Club Player

Re: Confirmed. Battle Marsh and Savage In. Tigs Lynch & Broad in

sunsaint wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 7:03pm
silverhalo wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 6:47pm I like the changes we've made...would have brought in Hind for Kent to stretch them for pace but really well balanced team overall.
Im in a bit of the same boat on Kent
Was not overly impressed with his effort or level of skill and execution against dogs
Hind would have to play a blinder and thats a big effort for the kid
But he could have been the unknown factor and he most certainly has the speed to worry the tigers defence
Club has selected on experience here tho
And that's probably a wise choice given that it's a final and the Tigers have got a pretty experienced line up

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 7:04pm
silverhalo wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 6:59pm
sunsaint wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 6:57pm
The_Dud wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 6:54pm Maybe Marsh has been brought in to line Dusty up :D
he had better do it early
and he had better make it count
As long as he does it behind the play so he doesn't get rubbed out......isn't that right Lynchy :D
a light tap isnt going to do it against Dusty
Dusty is out of his league

Nee!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

How Dunstan is behind Kent I'll never know, but I never said that..............

All set then!

Let's go Sainters!!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 6:51pm
Toy Saint wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 6:48pm Am surprised, and a bit dissapointed, that Luke Dunstan was not named, even as an emergency.

Can anybody confirm if he's fit?
Trade bait I'm afraid.
Hope not, I really rate Dunstan, and dissapointed he's not rated at St Kilda.

He'd be an ideal replacement for Joel Selwood at Geelong, and I'd reckon they'd appreciate him.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 7:30pm
saynta wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 6:51pm
Toy Saint wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 6:48pm Am surprised, and a bit dissapointed, that Luke Dunstan was not named, even as an emergency.

Trade bait I'm afraid.
Hope not, I really rate Dunstan, and dissapointed he's not rated at St Kilda.

He'd be an ideal replacement for Joel Selwood at Geelong, and I'd reckon they'd appreciate him.
Yep. I have similar feelings.

He was once touted asafuture Saints captain.

Got injured at just the wrong time this year.

Popular😪 player too.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 6:27pm I doubt Marsh plays, Webster’s named in the emergencies for the first time all year so I’m betting he is a late inclusion.

🤞🤞🤞
I hope you’re right.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Pretty good team all things considered . We can do this , the tigers are human too & bleed like everyone else & we can beat them if we give it everything IMO anyway.

saintkid
Club Player

bangaulegend wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 8:04pm Pretty good team all things considered . We can do this , the tigers are human too & bleed like everyone else & we can beat them if we give it everything IMO anyway.
If they play with the guts, determination and heart that Collingwood did last week then they can win. I will be keen to see who steps up and we need it first from our more experienced players.

Paddy showed last week what it takes and the ball is in their court to follow his example tomorrow night. They should be hungrier and more desperate than the Tigers given the club has been starved of success for 54 years.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I see Marsh is named back pocket. Any chance he will line up there?

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Marsh played as a running defender at Collingwood but mostly forward at the Saints. Wouldn't surprise me to see him line up on Lynch so Howard can take Jumping Jack Riewoldt with a plan to run off both of them. Wilke will take Dusty when he goes forward - even when he hovers around half forward. i expect Clark will be used as 7th in defence so that Wilke can take Dusty as he slips forward.

Battle to swing to wing and back as needed but will try to keep double teaming King to a minimum by being a genuine forward threat himself.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
johnearljames
Club Player

Best ins that could be hoped for given the outs. Webster and Roberton haven't played all year so would have been no better.

We have a very good coach, assistants and planners. We will give this game a shake and Ratts will have a game plan up his sleeve.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
Special
Club Player

Abbott is an absolute potato. How did he even make it as an emergency?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

He's fit. Unfortunately for St Kilda and Luke they are both between a rock & a hard place. He's cooked at St Kilda, unfortunately we will not get the best value because we cannot afford to play him this week or next or the one after.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 9:24pm

He's fit. Unfortunately for St Kilda and Luke they are both between a rock & a hard place. He's cooked at St Kilda, unfortunately we will not get the best value because we cannot afford to play him this week or next or the one after.
That's a shame. Got a feeling he'd be a good player in a good side as we are now

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Geez I hope we don't regret the selection of Savage.

No disrespect, he's a fine contributor at top flight, I just hope he has enough runnway to achieve flight at all.

She's gone down a few notches in quality, but as they say in the classics, ... if there is grass on the pitch, let's play.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 10:46pm She's gone down a few notches in quality, but as they say in the classics, ... if there is grass on the pitch, let's play.
Pretty much unanimously declared one of the best opening weekends of Finals in recent memory, try again Secret Vortex 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 9:42pm
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 9:24pm

That's a shame. Got a feeling he'd be a good player in a good side as we are now
Has been & handy player for the saints but never found his niche .Not overly quick & average foot skills & has been over taken by Steele ,Jones & Hannebery & with possibility of Clark & Gresham going into a midfield role next year I don't think he will be on our list next year IMO

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 10:46pm Geez I hope we don't regret the selection of Savage.

No disrespect, he's a fine contributor at top flight, I just hope he has enough runnway to achieve flight at all.

She's gone down a few notches in quality, but as they say in the classics, ... if there is grass on the pitch, let's play.
Thats my biggest worry too
Marsh is about trying to keep some structure
Battle obvious
I just hope Savage defends when needed and doesn’t go Brad Hill type of defence.... BUT if he can turn defence into rebound offence and link with Hill et al on a wing it could be electric.... cross everything

“Yeah….nah””
carn_sainter
Club Player

Good inclusions, all considered.

Marsh gives us flexibility...ruck (minimal, but just in case Marshall needs a rest), defender, or defensive forward.

Apparently beating Richmond relies on stopping their defenders marking the ball and rebounding.

I'd consider Marsh as a defensive forward, where his strength on ground balls and second efforts can create opportunities.

Play Battle like 2019 as a key defender. He can go with Riewoldt.

Savage the best replacement for Long given his experience and professionalism and he has at least played already this year.

Josh Battle
Club Player

carn_sainter wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 12:22am Good inclusions, all considered.

Marsh gives us flexibility...ruck (minimal, but just in case Marshall needs a rest), defender, or defensive forward.

Apparently beating Richmond relies on stopping their defenders marking the ball and rebounding.

I'd consider Marsh as a defensive forward, where his strength on ground balls and second efforts can create opportunities.

Play Battle like 2019 as a key defender. He can go with Riewoldt.

Savage the best replacement for Long given his experience and professionalism and he has at least played already this year.
Agree with a lot of that, but I reckon Wilkie will mind Riewoldt. I’ve seen Battle ruck as well at times this year but he’ll need to fill the void from Carlilse. Look to play as the third up intercepting defender who starts our attack from the backline. I’d also love to see Battle floating forward from time to time. He’s a beautiful kick for goal so you utilise him and play to his strengths.

We need to stretch them in their backline with our height.

I’d like Ratts to keep Marshall on the ground and resting in the goal square rather than doing repeat 100 metre sprints to get on the bench and then 100m sprints to run back onto the field. Why waste all that energy when you can rest the big fella in the forward pocket late in each quarter.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 11:20pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 10:46pm Geez I hope we don't regret the selection of Savage.

Thats my biggest worry too
Marsh is about trying to keep some structure
Battle obvious
I just hope Savage defends when needed and doesn’t go Brad Hill type of defence.... BUT if he can turn defence into rebound offence and link with Hill et al on a wing it could be electric.... cross everything
I just hope he has enough puff to get through the first quarter. That's my biggest concern. Make no mistake about it, the Tiges will welcome him back to the game and the finals with lots of physical contests early in the hope they can blow him up and neutralise his effectiveness.

Josh Battle
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 8:26pm Marsh played as a running defender at Collingwood but mostly forward at the Saints. Wouldn't surprise me to see him line up on Lynch so Howard can take Jumping Jack Riewoldt with a plan to run off both of them. Wilke will take Dusty when he goes forward - even when he hovers around half forward. i expect Clark will be used as 7th in defence so that Wilke can take Dusty as he slips forward.

Battle to swing to wing and back as needed but will try to keep double teaming King to a minimum by being a genuine forward threat himself.
The beauty of having Battle available is that he will adapt to wherever his coach needs him. There will no doubt be some surprises on the day and if one of the guys is struggling down back, Josh Battle will fill the void.

Battle is strong enough to handle Dusty as well, so if one of Wilkie is struggling or if our mids are having a bad day, get Battle to set up at stoppages. Dusty isn’t a speedster. He gets you with his strength and his agility. Battle is fit enough and tough enough to handle him

Just on the subject of stoppages; Richmond don’t mind being second to the footy and getting you on the turnover. We have to be prepared for a different game if it arises. If Dusty, Edwards and Prestia are allowed first use of the footy we are in trouble. Jones, Steele and Ross could use a guy like Battle to soften up the Tigers midfield

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Magpie forum would appreciate your return.They are missing you. :roll:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

This idea that the only way people can have any kind of fitness is by playing games of AFL football is hilarious.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 11:56am This idea that the only way people can have any kind of fitness is by playing games of AFL football is hilarious.

I’m with you. Hannebery came back in without missing a beat despite a long absence. Don’t see why the same thing doesn’t apply to others. Any case, we need to win with the team we’ve selected.