Paddy, fit and symptom free.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Re: Paddy, fit and symptom free.

Meanwhile, back in the real world.

Paddy McCartin will never play AFL footy ever again. For any club.

Concussion is a very serious, life altering injury. People on this forum might not think it is but they are wrong.

Shaun Smith, who played for North Melbourne and Melbourne in the late 80s and 90s, was recently paid just over $1.4 million after his insurance company found he was "totally and permanently disabled" from the brain injuries acquired during his career.

In February, of this year, doctors confirmed the first case of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) in an AFL player, 64-year-old former Geelong champion Graham "Polly" Farmer.

Former St Kilda captain Danny Frawley was found to have been suffering from CTE when he died suddenly last year.

Now do you get it? Probably not. You’re welcome,

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/for ... 55z35.html

According to the article a panel of experts have cleared him to play but I’ll wait to hear what the resident doctors at Saintsational have got to say.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 5:44pm https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/for ... 55z35.html

According to the article a panel of experts have cleared him to play but I’ll wait to hear what the resident doctors at Saintsational have got to say.
Ok I'll kick off.
It won't work. He won't have a footy career and it would endanger Paddy in the long term to put him back in the AFL .
Have a look at what the Danny Frawley story tells us about long term affects of concussion.

Nee!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Pi55 off Paddy.
You might find that Bains still loves you go and list clog the Bulldogs

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 5:44pm https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/for ... 55z35.html

I think the brain is a lot more complicated than black and white. Even the experts can't accurately say what will happen with something they know both so much yet so little about, including CTE. They're discovering more about it constantly.

Anyone who watched Paddy play knows his body isn't up to it, no body's fault, move on with your life.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SaintPelican66
Club Player

Sorry to say kosi but this really is a stupid post from a Saintsational Legend IMHO. McCartin is one bad knock to the head away from permanent brain damage. If he ever plays AFL footy again he is an idiot. If we draft him again we are completely off our tree

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Four doctors in 45 minutes. Not bad.

Now I don’t know who to believe.

“ But after an AFL panel of concussion experts gave him the all clear last November”

“ The clearance to keep the prospect of football alive came after an AFL panel of concussion experts assessed McCartin's situation.”

“ He estimates he's had 10 scans at the Florey Institute between 2016 and 2019 and his brain was declared fit after his most recent scan.”

"They [concussion experts] have said to me is that at the time it was a significant injury and significant in terms of symptoms and how I was feeling but they also said that with the right treatment and the right processes in place that it would all subside and that it would all go back to normal."

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 6:37pm Four doctors in 45 minutes. Not bad.

Now I don’t know who to believe.

“ But after an AFL panel of concussion experts gave him the all clear last November”

“ The clearance to keep the prospect of football alive came after an AFL panel of concussion experts assessed McCartin's situation.”

“ He estimates he's had 10 scans at the Florey Institute between 2016 and 2019 and his brain was declared fit after his most recent scan.”

"They [concussion experts] have said to me is that at the time it was a significant injury and significant in terms of symptoms and how I was feeling but they also said that with the right treatment and the right processes in place that it would all subside and that it would all go back to normal."
Where can I find the expert’s iron-clad diagnosis on why he was so susceptible to concussions in the first place from even the slightest knock?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 6:37pm “ The clearance to keep the prospect of football alive came after an AFL panel of concussion experts assessed McCartin's situation.”
Gillon McLachlan, Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Steve Hocking, Glen Jakovich, Chris Johnson, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea.
kosifantutti wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 6:37pm “ He estimates he's had 10 scans at the Florey Institute between 2016 and 2019 and his brain was declared fit after his most recent scan.”
Was his brain inside or outside of his body?
kosifantutti wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 6:37pm "They [concussion experts] have said to me is that at the time it was a significant injury and significant in terms of symptoms and how I was feeling but they also said that with the right treatment and the right processes in place that it would all subside and that it would all go back to normal."
Until the next hit on his head :shock:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Club Player

"Routine clinical imaging is typically not indicated in sports-related concussion.

Per the American Association of Neurology and the American Medical Society of Sports Medicine Guidelines, in concussion, imaging should only be performed if there are concerns regarding skull fracture, intracranial hemorrhage, or other intracranial pathology based on clinical exam.

There are many studies today that may lead to important diagnostic and prognostic neuroimaging biomarkers that will assist in the diagnosis of brain alterations associated with concussion and that indicate those who are most at risk for adverse outcomes. This information will become available clinically over the next decade.

Screening for clinical neuroimaging biomarkers will likely become important in ensuring adequate positive and negative predictive values and to maintain cost-effectiveness.

While some neuroimaging exams may be appropriate in the acute phase of injury, many will likely be more appropriate in the subacute or chronic phases, and timing of scan will depend on clinical presentation."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eut ... d=29157852

what this means?: there is no imaging modality at this time that can rule out early and permanent brain injury that will lead to a diagnosis of chronic traumatic encephalopathy

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Would just be monumentally stupid for him to return to AFL, both by him and the club. Hard to let go of a dream maybe..... then there’s the issue of even if he is fit and injury free, can he command a spot in the team. His output when he was fit was not inspiring.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Has he even played at any level in the last 2 years?

The issue at hand is if he can get through games without getting more concussions which remains unanswered through no fault of his own.

It would be insane to recruit him if he went from getting injured frequently to being on the sidelines for two years not playing and hasn’t demonstrated that he can hit multiple contests and get through

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 8:32pm

Has he even played at any level in the last 2 years?

Bytel hadn't played at any level for 2 years and look how he came in and cemented his spot as an A grade midfielder from the get-go.

sks023
Club Player

I don't think he should risk it but it's he's life he's choice

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 7:02pm Until the next hit on his head :shock:
And that's the meat of the story. The sheer number of concussions and the ease at which they happened would need a huge change in behaviour and awareness to overcome.

The outcome is one of two things:

1. Too tentative
2. More concussions

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Not convinced.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 11:15pmNot convinced.
Neither am I. This is what I'd like to know and ...

What's his 3km time trial numbers? His times for repeat 400m sprints?

What's his skin folds? Can he bench press more than Skunk or RoMa?

Get him to also sign some waivers re insurance/possible reoccurrence of concussion

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 26 Sep 2020 3:42am
bigred wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 11:15pmNot convinced.
Neither am I. This is what I'd like to know and ...

What's his 3km time trial numbers? His times for repeat 400m sprints?

What's his skin folds? Can he bench press more than Skunk or RoMa?

Get him to also sign some waivers re insurance/possible reoccurrence of concussion
Ok Pollop let me have a go at this one...is it half serious?

Leo.J
SS Life Member

‘...if they have given me the all clear to get back and play and they reckon I am at no greater risk then I'd be stupid not to," McCartin said...’

He’s been given the all clear by doctors and the AFL, he’s got the support of his family according to the article too, so I don’t blame him for wanting to play.

As someone mentioned above the main risk with getting Paddy on a list is whether he has a condition that makes him more susceptible to concussions, as he appeared to in the past. If he can get some doctors to give him that tick of approval and he can pass all the fitness stuff why not.

He could clearly play, he was held back by injury, playing in a below average team under a coach who encouraged him to crash packs and put his body on the line.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

If Paddy considers the advice and chooses to play I hope he is given another shot at it, preferably not at St Kilda.

From what I saw I don’t think Paddy had the athleticism and endurance for the modern game and I don’t think he’d fit Ratten’s game style. A couple of years on the side lines is not going to assist his areas of deficiency.

Good luck to the lad but would prefer we don’t RE-draft him.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

park him in the square
prospect/rider from a pocket
the racehorse and battle work the half forward line
lonie ‘n that EX richmond dude can earn their keep
kent can run back ‘n forward on one side
whilst hill can work the other

why doesn’t that work

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

actually

see ya later lonie
ta for the draft picks

i forgot members

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 26 Sep 2020 9:51am ....From what I saw I don’t think Paddy had the athleticism and endurance for the modern game and I don’t think he’d fit Ratten’s game style. A couple of years on the side lines is not going to assist his areas of deficiency.
The above mentioned are fixable with hard work. And game plans change yearly as lists change. He’s older and despite what he’s been through still wants to play. So you’d reckon he’s willing to do whatever it takes.

The Saints have invested a lot in Paddy... the question is do we give him an opportunity to repay what we’ve invested or do we cut our losses despite the possibility that he could be very valuable.

I’d not like to be making that decision.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

I reckon we’d be mad not to let him do a preseason with us to see what he has to offer.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Bains and Elshaug should be putting him through his paces right now ... see if he comes through for them.