Saints finals chance

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints finals chance

minneapolis wrote: Tue 21 Jan 2020 2:58am
kosifantutti wrote: Mon 20 Jan 2020 7:40amMaybe
Kos,

Is that a probable maybe or a probably not maybe?
Somewhere between the two.

I don’t like to make predictions on where we’ll finish. I’m very bullish on a number of players (Clark, Battle, King, Marshall etc.) but how tis translates to wins or ladders position, I have no idea.

I’ll watch the season unfold and enjoy it or not.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Laurie
Club Player

NO

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Interestingly, no one seems to have mentioned 'leadership' as a reason we may or may not improve enough to play finals.

Without raking over coals, if anyone is not genuinely enthused (apart from the 1 or 2 rusted on Cho supporters) about Ratten's appointment and influence he's had thus far, then I'd be very surprised. Ratts clearly has an excellent connection with the players (remember that connection - and mindfulness - is the main attribute that Richmond has focused the most on for 3 years). Finally, I feel like we have some credibility in the box and someone leading game day who'd been successful doing it before. Ratt's is also the one who's emphatically driven 'skill acquisition' as a major focus over Summer. About time.

Howard. Whilst the focus seems to have bizarrely been on being lapped in a pre-Xmas time trial (who really cares?) - remember that Howard was regarded so highly by Port that he was appointed Captain in his 37th game last year. For a 23 yo - that's terrific and that why Port fans are apoplectic about losing him. You cannot buy that type of quality (or draft it in our case). The more leaders you have on-ground; the better.

Ross. I'm not Seb's biggest fan but, it's undeniable that he stepped up as Captain in Geary's absence last year. He definitely played some of his better games for the club whilst also doing that role. In a pure football sense, I'd love to see Seb become our weakest midfielder ASAP (as that means we'll have significantly upped our skill and ball movement) but, I can't think he'll not be better again this year with the experience of being the Captain in 2019. I'd love him to become more demonstrative and 'jump on my back and I'll lead you to the promised land' a la Paddy Cripps but, maybe that's not his style.

Go you red, black & white warriors
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 21 Jan 2020 10:43am Interestingly, no one seems to have mentioned 'leadership' as a reason we may or may not improve enough to play finals.

Without raking over coals, if anyone is not genuinely enthused (apart from the 1 or 2 rusted on Cho supporters) about Ratten's appointment and influence he's had thus far, then I'd be very surprised. Ratts clearly has an excellent connection with the players (remember that connection - and mindfulness - is the main attribute that Richmond has focused the most on for 3 years). Finally, I feel like we have some credibility in the box and someone leading game day who'd been successful doing it before. Ratt's is also the one who's emphatically driven 'skill acquisition' as a major focus over Summer. About time.

Howard. Whilst the focus seems to have bizarrely been on being lapped in a pre-Xmas time trial (who really cares?) - remember that Howard was regarded so highly by Port that he was appointed Captain in his 37th game last year. For a 23 yo - that's terrific and that why Port fans are apoplectic about losing him. You cannot buy that type of quality (or draft it in our case). The more leaders you have on-ground; the better.

Ross. I'm not Seb's biggest fan but, it's undeniable that he stepped up as Captain in Geary's absence last year. He definitely played some of his better games for the club whilst also doing that role. In a pure football sense, I'd love to see Seb become our weakest midfielder ASAP (as that means we'll have significantly upped our skill and ball movement) but, I can't think he'll not be better again this year with the experience of being the Captain in 2019. I'd love him to become more demonstrative and 'jump on my back and I'll lead you to the promised land' a la Paddy Cripps but, maybe that's not his style.
Be surprised. "King of the kids" is not a style of leadership.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

freely wrote: Tue 21 Jan 2020 11:28am
Saintmatt wrote: Tue 21 Jan 2020 10:43am Interestingly, no one seems to have mentioned 'leadership' as a reason we may or may not improve enough to play finals.

Be surprised. "King of the kids" is not a style of leadership.
As in Ratten is "King of the kids"? Really? Sheesh. You've clearly not seen him at training or in the video released last night that was taken before yesterday morning's session. You also must have missed his presser after the final game of 2019 when he eviscerated the playing group - in public; not behind closed doors - for their terrible disposal and inability to finish off their work. From what I've seen, he's more than happy to have the hard conversations and be the boss when he has to.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Harves Man
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 20 Jan 2020 11:20am Long answer but ... maybe / quite possibly.

Every season, there's a bit of a bolter who starts well and then hangs on a bit from there. As many others on many other forums have mentioned - the first 5 weeks is crucial for us. Ideally, we'd win 3 and run close in the other two (i.e. not get belted and have our confidence shattered in the process). I agree that beating Sydney, Adelaide and Port will help a lot (given we perennially lose to them).

My gut feel is that we'll fall short in 2020 by a game; maybe two but that we'll be much more settled and organised for a tilt at it in 2021. That's really the year where I can see us making a huge leap.
Yes, that's pretty much how I see it. If some of our younger players come good/get really inspired by some of our really inspiring new recruits, then yes we could make it. If Carlisle hits his straps at the same time as Roberton is playing well, then we will have one hell of a backline, but there are a lot of maybe's to come true.

Harves Man
Club Player

Very good post.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

goods wrote: Mon 20 Jan 2020 5:01am Please, honest simple yes or no. Saints make the finals in 2020?
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

stkfc1 wrote: Mon 20 Jan 2020 7:55pm I'm thinking we're looking between 8th-10th. Id be disappointed with 11th or under. We may scrape in Top 8 but a lot would have to go right (injury wise especially) and it would mean players like Billings, Sinclair, Gresh , Steele and Marshall have gone up another level. If King and Bytel can get up and about then we're a big chance.

How we gel as a group, will be a big factor but if we can get some momentum going.... amazing what a bit of early confidence will do for a group. Look at the Lions last year. Things change quickly in football.
+ 1

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Yes

Rubyjo
Club Player

For sure ...

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Put it this way...if most of our top players remain injury free, and if opposition teams who finished above us on the ladder in 2019 also remain mainly injury free, I think we'll struggle to make finals. We need a year or two to integrate all the new faces and for the coach to implement his brand. I watched a few matches from 2017 during the summer and it's amazing how quickly things change. Probably half the players will be different from round 1 2020 compared to the teams that ran out each week in 2017 - that's 10 or 11 new players

I reckon if we get serious injuries to Hill or Jones similar to the trainwreck of a first year for Hannas then we'll struggle.

Hannas is obviously a key and if he can't play at his best for at least 15+ games, it will reduce our overall ability to compete against the teams who we normally match up well against. I think as a leader for the mids he has a huge role to play as do the newcomers - especially Hill, Ryder, Howard and Jones.

If... If... If...ALL the above AND IF we have some luck with KP players plus our talls in general, plus our top players not getting injured it's possible but I certainly won't be betting on us.

I will be there supporting and cheering pretty loudly :D

St Loxton
Club Player

Yes

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

No, 9-13th for me

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

be gobsmacked. but i've been gobsmacked before.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

once.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
axcellence
Club Player

No.

But crazy things happen. Never thought this team can win in China but given the Coronavirus situation - the game’s likely to end up back in Melbourne.

It’s quite funny that everyone is talking up the midfield, but nobody talks about the forward line, which is pretty bare or I experienced. Again though, with so many tall on the list, possibly one can do something.

wally
Club Player

I think with a bit of luck we could fall into the 8 but probably end up making up the numbers.

I hope we are more competitive, win a few and start building something going forward.

Furphy
Club Player

even though we played the last trade period like a well tuned cello, I’m still seeing 10 wins or a brief finals appearance. But we will improve on last year and if we keep recruiting like we did last year, we will soon be contenders

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Keep recruiting like we did last year is what is needed. Not suggesting we will always get 5 targets but the list needs more. At the moment we have a finals capable list but it is arguably bottom 8 at best. That's not withstanding some players already on the list developing into finals players.

St Loxton
Club Player

Bump, some great predictions here.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

St Loxton wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 12:08pm Bump, some great predictions here.
Yep, interesting to see who's been on this season's "bandwagon" from the start ;)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Most, but not all, got it right.

johnearljames
Club Player

We were always a finals lock when we recruited 5 senior and good players.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
The Peanut
Club Player

I feel a lot better with Roughy now on site and think he'll make a difference - I'm hoping to get a few wins in the finals but the sky is the limit.