ins and outs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: ins and outs

King nor Geary will be dropped. Neither are the problem.

Hind has gone missing too often of late. Kent was poor, but has more upside.

Sinclair disappears for large parts of the game and constantly turns it over.

I'm a massive fan of both Wilkie and Long, but both look tired. One, or both need a rest.

In : Bytel, Lonie, Savage, Carlisle

Out : Hind, Sinclair, Wilkie, Long

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Geary gets a bit of the footy because the opposition are happy for him to have it. As he turns it over in dangerous areas regularly. His kicking has no penetration now also, so even his long bombs drop short.

I love Gears, gives 100%, has got the most out of himself. He obviously has value as a leader, but he’s a liability in defence with footy in hand. He either needs to be a defensive fwd or play a full shut down roll.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 10:05am King nor Geary will be dropped. Neither are the problem.

I'm a massive fan of both Wilkie and Long, but both look tired. One, or both need a rest.

I doubt Long needs a rest, he needs to recapture his form prior to his month holiday. Agree with giving Wilkie a freshen up and Hind & Kent / Sinclair spells.

IN: Bytel, Roberton / Lonie, Carlisle

Without Sicily to intercept, a great opportunity to change up our forward line. Add some height & rotate our on ballers through the forward pocket.

Another opportunity for Bytel to test himself & learn from a quality opposition mid in Mitchell.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I see the injury list has been updated - Dunstan and Webster both listed as "Test". Couple of options there...

To the top
SS Life Member

Agree that the strategy of not manning up on Geary is a deliberate strategy - and nothing has changed

It has been going on for years and makes a nonsense of statistics

There is no place for Geary in our back 6 and he cannot play elsewhere

The time has come for an honest player from a very poor time in the Club’s history

Including the Captaincy where Steele and Marshall should be anointed as team leaders

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 10:05am King nor Geary will be dropped. Neither are the problem.

I reckon Sinclair is giving far, far more than Kent. And Sincs has more talent and if he plays enough games in a row, he can add value. I've seen enough of Kent.
Bytel will get picked for team development. Long is a tough one, he could play a killer game against Hawthorn. Seems unpredicatable. If he could play forward, I would keep him and not pick Lonie

If Wikie is really toasted and spent, maybe Robbo.

But as it sits now,

Out: Hind, Kent, Long
In Bytel, Carlisle, Lonie

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

I'll admit my focus on Geary is probably a little harsh but my gut feel is he has lost a yard of pace and he never really had it to lose. Just like Nathan Jones at Melbourne.

Looking at his stats as someone mentioned he had 14 touches I note only 1 of them was a contested possession however he had 4 clangers (not just ineffective but a turnover) seems high to me given most of his impressions were uncontested.

Agree he either has to play as a defensive forward or miss.

Hind is the other one. You simply can't carry a bloke who only touches it 5 times and gets one kick in unless they hit the scoreboard.

Kent, Sinclair and Phillips others on the fringe.

Assuming there is no one who needs to be managed my changes.

In: Carlisle, Bytel
Out: Hind, Geary

Side to line up as below

Paton Howard Wilke
Long Carlisle Coffield
Hill Jones Battle
Kent Membery Billings
RoMa King Butler

Ryder Steele Ross

Phillips
Sinclair
Clark
Bytel

If Geary survives he takes kents spot at hf with kent moving to the bench and Bytel missing. I dont mind the look of the side with geary at HF just don't want him in the backline.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 7:51am I'll admit my focus on Geary is probably a little harsh but my gut feel is he has lost a yard of pace and he never really had it to lose. Just like Nathan Jones at Melbourne.

Looking at his stats as someone mentioned he had 14 touches I note only 1 of them was a contested possession however he had 4 clangers (not just ineffective but a turnover) seems high to me given most of his impressions were uncontested.

According to AFL stats Geary had 1 Clanger, less than most. So not sure where you get 4 from

Yes re speed against Weideman he was found wanting, however as I said I think Weideman is quicker than many think

In support of his speed, he laid a tackle on a player on the 50 metre/ boundary intersection. It looked like the player was past him and Melbourne were out, he managed to close him down and effect a great tackle. Not sure many other Saints could do that

Fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 4:05pm
nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 7:51am I'll admit my focus on Geary is probably a little harsh but my gut feel is he has lost a yard of pace and he never really had it to lose. Just like Nathan Jones at Melbourne.

According to AFL stats Geary had 1 Clanger, less than most. So not sure where you get 4 from

Yes re speed against Weideman he was found wanting, however as I said I think Weideman is quicker than many think

In support of his speed, he laid a tackle on a player on the 50 metre/ boundary intersection. It looked like the player was past him and Melbourne were out, he managed to close him down and effect a great tackle. Not sure many other Saints could do that

Fqf
From the AFL app which has 4 turnovers listed.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

https://ibb.co/zFGc8TX

Stats in image above

DJ Higgins
Club Player

King got beaten by bog last week and we have the bye this week so no need to drop him roughie acknlowdeges he is doing 95 % things correctly it's just the last 5 that needs work. He will get his hand right soon enough.
A lot of small player are fringe players at present and come in and out of the team. Don't be surprised if some players get time to up their value come trade time. Parker could be one. I like him more than most only because he hits hard and players no he is going to get them sooner or later. I am sure Kent and hind do certain things I don't notice but I rarely hear their name called so they can get a rest.