Changes v Lions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cordz2
Club Player

Re: Changes v Lions

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 12:09pm
SaintPav wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 12:01pm 23 is supposed to be the number for physical immortality, everlasting life, and eternal youth.
And the number the brings Bloods & Crips together.
😂

Sanctorum
Club Player

No mention of Charlie Cameron on the Lions' injury list, Paton is listed as "test" by St Kilda and his head knock didn't seem all that serious, so expect him to play. Having sat out most of the game he won't need to be rested.

Would like to see:

Phillips in for Lonie - considered Kent but Ed offers greater flexibility in either midfield, defence or attack.
Carlisle for Geary (managed)

Being an 8-point match I would imagine the selectors will want to play their best 22, the need to consolidate a place in the top 8 is crucial.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Cordz2
Club Player

Kent and Carlisle for Lonely and Bytel. I don’t think they’ll play the young bloke with a star studded mature midfield- they will target that weakness. Geary on Rich as a defensive forward.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bytel's a fixture afaic.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Cordz2 wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 6:54pm Kent and Carlisle for Lonely and Bytel. I don’t think they’ll play the young bloke with a star studded mature midfield-

He did ok against the Cat's midfield.

We need to keep in mind 2021 onwards and that means as our midfield is not yet good enough developing a player like Bytel who actually plays like a mid, and was recruited as a mid and was playing asa mid in the season we drafted him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bergsone
SS Life Member

No change,what chance of that,like Jake in the side just cant see a like for like change

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 7:47pm No change,what chance of that,like Jake in the side just cant see a like for like change
There wasn't a like for like change when he went out

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Gershwin
Club Player

Jack Sinclair is not giving us much. Would like to see Roberton back in the side, probably off the bench.

summertime and the living is easy ........
longtimesaint
Club Player

I disagree
Jack Sinclair has been an important lineman since he came back and doesn’t waste a possession.

One year will be our year
DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 10:55am I disagree
Jack Sinclair has been an important lineman since he came back and doesn’t waste a possession.
He’s in my team too. When he wins a contested ball he has the rare ability of finding an option outside the traffic. (Bytel has shown signs of this too). He has a harder edge than some give him credit for, with many of his possession being contested. He’s been good since his return.

saints66
Club Player

Savage is a must , pace
I hope Robertson can get a game this year I like watching him play.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 7:10pm
Cordz2 wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 6:54pm Kent and Carlisle for Lonely and Bytel. I don’t think they’ll play the young bloke with a star studded mature midfield-

He did ok against the Cat's midfield.

We need to keep in mind 2021 onwards and that means as our midfield is not yet good enough developing a player like Bytel who actually plays like a mid, and was recruited as a mid and was playing asa mid in the season we drafted him.
Probably the weakest midfield we've had in 2 years against the Cats so they didn't need to mind the debutant too hard. It's not a poular reality for the fan boys but reality is reality.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Gershwin wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 10:45am Jack Sinclair is not giving us much. Would like to see Roberton back in the side, probably off the bench.
As sad as it is, Robo is a backup due to how well the backline is going.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Will Matty Parker play?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I feel for matty

He is clearly a confidence player and last year I felt he really showed something...he played like he had nothing to lose and I reckon that really helped him. This year he’s struggled to find a spot and when he was given his chance clearly the pressure mounted on him and he was right off the pace.

We’ve been quick to write him off as a depth player..

I feel we are quick to forget some of his better games last year where he showed he could be a bit of a game breaker with A combo of pace, height and freakish marks! I’m pretty sure he bagged 3 goals on a couple of ocassions

That said it’s a far harder side to break into this year and I’m not sure who comes out for him. Reckon on his day he’s more valuable than Kent who plays a similar role...line ball Lonie and hind

#1 Ryder fan
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 9:07pm Will Matty Parker play?
Sorry this guy to me from what I e seen thus far is another who cuts it up at lower levels....when he steps up to AFL he just doesn’t give you much....no shame in that still a good player ....just not best 22 AFL for mine

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 11:38pm Sorry this guy to me from what I e seen thus far is another who cuts it up at lower levels....when he steps up to AFL he just doesn’t give you much....no shame in that still a good player ....just not best 22 AFL for mine
I thought he showed a bit last season Teflon. Good depth at least. You never know with injuries and opportunities. He could surprise at some stage.

goods
Club Player

Cordz2 wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 6:54pm Kent and Carlisle for Lonely and Bytel. I don’t think they’ll play the young bloke with a star studded mature midfield- they will target that weakness. Geary on Rich as a defensive forward.
My God, play Bytel! He's future, and the most talented kid I've seen us draft outside king in years. You would be crazy to drop him.

goods
Club Player

goods wrote: Fri 21 Aug 2020 3:57am
Cordz2 wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 6:54pm Kent and Carlisle for Lonely and Bytel. I don’t think they’ll play the young bloke with a star studded mature midfield- they will target that weakness. Geary on Rich as a defensive forward.
My God, play Bytel! He's future, and the most talented kid I've seen us draft outside king in years. You would be crazy to drop him. He had from memory Bytel had 18 touches 5 clearances? at 78% efficiency in a day we got reamed. Good stuff, yeah drop the kid...jesus.

goods
Club Player

goods wrote: Fri 21 Aug 2020 4:01am
My God, play Bytel! He's the future, and the most talented kid I've seen us draft outside king in years. You would be crazy to drop him. He had from memory Bytel had 18 touches 5 clearances? at 78% efficiency in a day we got reamed. Good stuff, yeah drop the kid...jesus.

goods
Club Player

My God, play Bytel! He's the future, and the most talented kid I've seen us draft outside king in years. You would be crazy to drop him. He had from memory 18 touches 5 clearances? at 78% efficiency in a day we got reamed with a star studded midfield..Good stuff, yeah drop the kid...jesus.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 9:24pm I feel for matty

He is clearly a confidence player and last year I felt he really showed something...he played like he had nothing to lose and I reckon that really helped him. This year he’s struggled to find a spot and when he was given his chance clearly the pressure mounted on him and he was right off the pace.

We’ve been quick to write him off as a depth player..

I feel we are quick to forget some of his better games last year where he showed he could be a bit of a game breaker with A combo of pace, height and freakish marks! I’m pretty sure he bagged 3 goals on a couple of ocassions

That said it’s a far harder side to break into this year and I’m not sure who comes out for him. Reckon on his day he’s more valuable than Kent who plays a similar role...line ball Lonie and hind

I feel for Parker too.

He was always a raw player with heaps of talent who came to quality football late and so was one who needed a lot of development. In particular one could see he lacked knowing exactly what to do and where to be at when competing against quality opponents.

He was more a reactive see ball (or opponent to be tackled), get ball (player) type of player, rather than a player who was basing his game on judgement and experience.

Not having a VFL this season to further develop him would be cruelling the player that he could be.

His retention for 2021 may well hang now in just how much the AFL reduces the list size.

I personally thing that there is a lot to work with and hope that he gets another year.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 21 Aug 2020 1:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Schillaci
Club Player

My guess
In- Carlisle and Kent
Out- Paton(if he doesn’t get up) and Lonie.
If Paton gets up, Bytel could make way as solid as he has been.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

My thoughts: -

- If Kent is fit then he comes in for Lonie (Lonie is one-dimensional and is unable to play anywhere other than midget forward). If Kent is not fit - then Parker comes in for Lonie (Parker is an x-factor player who has show he can do the disciplined 'chase, harass and tackle' job well; in addition to standing on shoulders when the opportunity presents.

- If Paton is unfit - Savage comes in. (I pray Paton is fit though as he's out best match-up for Cameron)

My (possibly) controversial call: -

If there's no clear player for Geary to play on (although I suspect that might be Daniel Rich) - then Savage comes in.

Go you red, black & white warriors
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Kent and Parker, through no fault of their own, overrated.
I’d be inclined to pick parker if forced to choose.
Lonie did ok. Don’t know how the Lions would work with him, but he can be a pest for sure. Parker, less pest, more lively distraction. Kent? Still don’t know.

Geary?
How capable is he as a nullifier? Hidden in the forward line?

I think Carlisle in and that’s the only sure thing I can think of.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!