Open Mike Luke Ball

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Re: Open Mike Luke Ball

Hurry up Sanctorum, I urgently need to know the opposite meaning of foreswore.

spert
Saintsational Legend

GT and RL were very good in their own ways and gained the club a lot of respect during their coaching stints- strong teams, playing finals. In the end they are just members of the list of coaches who almost got the ultimate prize but didn't. Luke Ball probably could have been managed better from an injury aspect, but it's all history now.

Will Ratts deliver the prize this year?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Oh the GT/RL argument. It's like a comfortable old shoe, isn't it? Or a teddy bear that we just can't quite persuade ourselves to throw away. Maybe we should give it a forum of its own: fan forum, animal enclosure, GT/RL wrestling arena. Perhaps sainter dad could score each thread and give us a weekly winner!

To the top
SS Life Member

For comparison purposes, can anyone list the sides Thomas took into finals and the sides Lyon took into finals?

May make for an interesting discussion.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel
Club Player

freely wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 4:59pm Oh the GT/RL argument. It's like a comfortable old shoe, isn't it? Or a teddy bear that we just can't quite persuade ourselves to throw away. Maybe we should give it a forum of its own: fan forum, animal enclosure, GT/RL wrestling arena. Perhaps sainter dad could score each thread and give us a weekly winner!
It's as tedious as it is weird.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 5:15pm For comparison purposes, can anyone list the sides Thomas took into finals and the sides Lyon took into finals?

Thomas - St Kilda
Lyon - St Kilda and Fremantle

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 9:52pm
To the top wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 5:15pm For comparison purposes, can anyone list the sides Thomas took into finals and the sides Lyon took into finals?

Thomas - St Kilda
Lyon - St Kilda and Fremantle
What about the list of sides both Thomas and Lyon took into Grand Finals???

Oh wait....

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Luke Ball can get stuffed.

To the top
SS Life Member

Who would have been out bottom 6 across 2005/05?

Ditto 2009/10

Besides subscribing to a class back 6, I also believe that your bottom 6 will find you out when the competition gets serious, so finals

Hence my question as to the sides we put on the park in our final match of each of those seasons

I think we still have a “bottom 6” problem - the saving grace being that apart from Ryder and Carlisle we have a young side so we can really improve on that aspect including by bringing in at the top and shuffling everyone down one (or more)

Our Draft Picks will see us with mid first rounds at best (hopefully) so they will be directly in competition with the “bottom 6”

No doubt we have the operators to continue to build the quality of our List such that over an extended period we play September football (because if you are consistently playing September football you are in with a chance)

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt, Kosi, Hayes, Dal, Goddard, Monty, Fisher, Milne, Dempster, Baker, Geary, Armitage, Ball, Gilbert, Blake, Gardiner, King, Schneider, Hudghton, Ray and Gwilt

Almost all of them had played finals before 2009

Possibly the most talented, experienced list of players we ever assembled at the one time - Incredible that that team never won a flag.

To the top
SS Life Member

Subject to correction, against Hawthorn, we rested players and played the likes of Armitage and Steven, young kids who played well but then reverted to McQualter and others for Finals so "defensive forwards who could not impact the scoreboard and who did not ATTRACT an opponent because they were dangerous

You need every player dangerous and attracting the thoughts of the opposition because their efforts will deliver the result

To the top
SS Life Member

Subject to correction, against Hawthorn, we rested players and played the likes of Armitage and Steven, young kids who played well but then reverted to McQualter and others for Finals so "defensive forwards who could not impact the scoreboard and who did not ATTRACT an opponent because they were dangerous

You need every player dangerous and attracting the thoughts of the opposition because their efforts will deliver the result

spert
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 21 Aug 2020 1:14am Riewoldt, Kosi, Hayes, Dal, Goddard, Monty, Fisher, Milne, Dempster, Baker, Geary, Armitage, Ball, Gilbert, Blake, Gardiner, King, Schneider, Hudghton, Ray and Gwilt

Almost all of them had played finals before 2009

Possibly the most talented, experienced list of players we ever assembled at the one time - Incredible that that team never won a flag.
They had to play their "A" game on the day, but some got beaten too easy.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Puff piece. Would rather hear his boss's story, Matt McGuire.

I thought how unfortunate we had Ross and Luke treating on St Kilda's interests. Clearly their own interests came first. Could there have been a worse outcome. Where were the adults to look after the Club.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 21 Aug 2020 10:04am Puff piece. Would rather hear his boss's story, Matt McGuire.

I thought how unfortunate we had Ross and Luke treating on St Kilda's interests. Clearly their own interests came first. Could there have been a worse outcome. Where were the adults to look after the Club.
Coach had too much power.

Wasn't that the reason they brought in the odd looking geeza from Hawthorn?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Yes, and didn't that set off a disastrous chain of events, turned around only by the year of the Ratts.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 21 Aug 2020 10:07am
Yorkeys wrote: Fri 21 Aug 2020 10:04am Puff piece. Would rather hear his boss's story, Matt McGuire.

Coach had too much power.

Wasn't that the reason they brought in the odd looking geeza from Hawthorn?
Yeah, pelican s***. He cost us big time. :evil:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It’s also led us to a position where we’ve been quite haphazard in our long term strategy...
The RL debacle was what it was
Then you had Watters... + Pelican outlines a strategy that we abandoned part way through
Then we got Richo, extended his contract were ready to sack him 6 months later
Went into NZ, left NZ, went to China... well that speaks for itself etc

As a club, we’ve made a lot commitments that we’ve given up on

Am not suggesting that changing course was wrong but we need to work on a long term strategy to achieve long term goals on and off the field. Hopefully we have the crew for that.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 21 Aug 2020 12:01pm It’s also led us to a position where we’ve been quite haphazard in our long term strategy...
The RL debacle was what it was
Then you had Watters... + Pelican outlines a strategy that we abandoned part way through
Then we got Richo, extended his contract were ready to sack him 6 months later
Went into NZ, left NZ, went to China... well that speaks for itself etc

As a club, we’ve made a lot commitments that we’ve given up on

Am not suggesting that changing course was wrong but we need to work on a long term strategy to achieve long term goals on and off the field. Hopefully we have the crew for that.
That's what I'm hoping for Bassett to correct & control. His expertise is placing people in their rightful positions. I also believe he invests heavily in a strategy to protect his business. I hope those same philosophies are used to great effect at St Kilda.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 21 Aug 2020 12:01pm As a club, we’ve made a lot commitments that we’ve given up
Tassie
NZ
Seaford...a biggie.

I have already pointed out the hair factor. RL improved on TV, GTs did not.

But another crucial factor is their names.

Forbes.

Acura’s Move Away from Names Cost it Dearly Acura moved from names (Legend and Integra) to alphanumeric names (RL and CL) in 1996 and lost its way in the market place. The Legend name had become so strong that the Acura brand was diminishing in the minds of Honda management. So they followed the German naming strategy and used letters. Apparently, “RL” stands for “Road Luxury”

Is RL a legend?
Clearly No.

Is GT still the hottest name in cars? I think so.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I also watched NDS on open mike from 2016 undisputed Lyon he states was the best coach he had and the players loved him

He did coach for the moment eg not for the kids development and for mine that’s a knock on his record

Dal Santo summed up 2009 perfectly- we were clearly the best side all year and on that GF did not execute (he even refers to that wasteful first half), that was our GF to lose and players dropped their bundle onfiekd when it mattered.

DSL reckons second GF showed how far Pies were really ahead of us by 2010 and I agree - had we win that first GF we’d have committed daylight robbery in them...would’ve loved that....

“Yeah….nah””
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 22 Aug 2020 11:59pm I also watched NDS on open mike from 2016 undisputed Lyon he states was the best coach he had and the players loved him

He did coach for the moment eg not for the kids development and for mine that’s a knock on his record

Dal Santo summed up 2009 perfectly- we were clearly the best side all year and on that GF did not execute (he even refers to that wasteful first half), that was our GF to lose and players dropped their bundle onfiekd when it mattered.

DSL reckons second GF showed how far Pies were really ahead of us by 2010 and I agree - had we win that first GF we’d have committed daylight robbery in them...would’ve loved that....
Now that's a truer reflection I believe of what the players and us as supporters should think. We fluffed the 09 GF but were the best team all year. We nearly the stole the 2010 GF and the replay was how I thought the drawn GF would play out before the game.

RL is so far ahead as the Saints best coach of the last 50 years it's not funny. How quickly ppl forget that after 08 many were writing us off to even play finals and said we had a tired group of players. How many coaches actually revolutionise the game to the extent that other coaches have no idea how to combat it? I recall a game in 09 at Etihad against the Crows when we won by 10 goals or something. The ball was literally parked inside our fwd 50 the whole game and the Crows were clueless how to get it out of there. There were numerous games like that starting with Rd 1 against the Swans that year. The game plan was astonishing. Cats had an incredible team littered with multiple AA players and two Brownlow medalists. The likes of Ablett, Selwood, Scarlett, Enright, all were named in 6 or more AA teams. With a side cast of Ling, Corey, Harry Taylor Bartel who all made multiple AA teams themselves and/or won Brownlows or captained the club. Most of these guys make up a good portion of the cats team of the century if they had one in 09. They blinked when it mattered in 08 and really should have been playing for a 3 peat in 09. We had an incredible game plan with one superstar fwd playing injured in the teaming rain and 5-6 extremely good players in Lenny (3 x AA), BJ (2 x AA), Dal (3 x AA), Fisher (1 x AA) and Milney. (2 x AA)

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Moods wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 1:09am
Teflon wrote: Sat 22 Aug 2020 11:59pm I also watched NDS on open mike from 2016 undisputed Lyon he states was the best coach he had and the players loved him

Now that's a truer reflection I believe of what the players and us as supporters should think. We fluffed the 09 GF but were the best team all year. We nearly the stole the 2010 GF and the replay was how I thought the drawn GF would play out before the game.

RL is so far ahead as the Saints best coach of the last 50 years it's not funny. How quickly ppl forget that after 08 many were writing us off to even play finals and said we had a tired group of players. How many coaches actually revolutionise the game to the extent that other coaches have no idea how to combat it? I recall a game in 09 at Etihad against the Crows when we won by 10 goals or something. The ball was literally parked inside our fwd 50 the whole game and the Crows were clueless how to get it out of there. There were numerous games like that starting with Rd 1 against the Swans that year. The game plan was astonishing. Cats had an incredible team littered with multiple AA players and two Brownlow medalists. The likes of Ablett, Selwood, Scarlett, Enright, all were named in 6 or more AA teams. With a side cast of Ling, Corey, Harry Taylor Bartel who all made multiple AA teams themselves and/or won Brownlows or captained the club. Most of these guys make up a good portion of the cats team of the century if they had one in 09. They blinked when it mattered in 08 and really should have been playing for a 3 peat in 09. We had an incredible game plan with one superstar fwd playing injured in the teaming rain and 5-6 extremely good players in Lenny (3 x AA), BJ (2 x AA), Dal (3 x AA), Fisher (1 x AA) and Milney. (2 x AA)
A perfect summation. I'd have Lyon back as coach in a heartbeat.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 10:46am
Moods wrote: Sun 23 Aug 2020 1:09am

A perfect summation. I'd have Lyon back as coach in a heartbeat.
I guess your wife or daughter does not work at the SAints then?