Paddy McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

johnearljames
Club Player

Re: Paddy McCartin

Paddy needs to be left alone. The kid has been through hell. Lets be happy if he gets drafted by us or anyone and support him if we do. The whole draft pick and injury and diabetes thing is irrelevant now.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
To the top
SS Life Member

McCartin is in control of his own destiny - his connection with St Kilda offering opportunity if he so desires and can so present

In regard the reference to gestational diabetes there are many who successfully manage this conductus. Including in sporting careers and with the support of medical science

Your reference identifies you as bigoted and uneducated

Medical science is leading the response to the virus of unknown source noting the strain now identified is the result of a family of 4 entering Austrakia, 2 of them infected

And that is its own commentary of this Pandemic and the dangers it presents - globally as figures attest

With this Pandemic we all live in glass houses

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

There’s an element of romance about players such as Paddy. I am sure we all wish him well.
But even when fit he was never the forward we had hoped for. There were some glimmers but that was all. I couldn’t see him returning to us as a forward. But if he was thrown a ‘life line’ then I might trial him across half back in a role like Jeremy McGovern. Saints players really rated his ability to take contested marks. That would seem his more natural position. This would lessen (but certainly not eliminate) concussion incidents.
That said he remains in the ‘high risk’ category and for all the fanfare we have rarely rehabilitated such a player.

outside66
Club Player

If he's ready to go (which he reckons he is) then I'd take him back in a heart beat. He's a delisted free agent therefore he can be picked up in the trade period rather than the draft. Look at what Ratt's has done for all the boys on our list, so imagine what he'd be able to do with Paddy. Paddy out of the goalsquare and King as the CHF would be huge imo. I would hate to see him go somewhere else and go on to do well. He wouldn't be demanding huge coin and I know that Lethlean is on the record as saying that the club want him back (providing that he is well and over his issues). He's a risk, yes, but so is picking up a 200cm key forward coming off a knee reconstruction. In any case, I just hope that Paddy gets what he's after, and that's another crack at playing football again - can't begrudge the bloke for that.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

You know, I’d really like to know Allan Richardson’s view about PM as a player (sans any ‘nice guy, deserves a chance’ rhetoric) and in light of the exciting team we are now making, and where PM would fit in with that team, including - and this is essential - the known risks and managment issues, their costs to team resources, group cohesion, training, external noise managment, media and political/human rights managment, of cumulative concussions and diabetes.

With all those factored in, 1) where would a fit PM, and crucially 2) where would St Kilda be having to sustain all this?

Would Josh Battle get a game?

I don’t think Richo would have the heart (or common sense) to say it. Neither do I.

It seems some here think it’s OK to play both sides. We like to stir up the pot here, and it’s OK..but it’s also more than OK, it’s good, when we point out that the provocateurs are crowing.

Straight up. In terms of St Kilda’s success, where so many things have to be very right, and then lucky, you don’t deliberately take backwards or sideways steps unilaterally. If the whole code has a rule, ‘you will recruit a talented youngster crueled by fate’ ...then Paddy sure.

Let’s try and win a flag. That damn Gram video is so painful. Let’s get those flags back.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 10:10am McCartin is in control of his own destiny - his connection with St Kilda offering opportunity if he so desires and can so present

In regard the reference to gestational diabetes there are many who successfully manage this conductus. Including in sporting careers and with the support of medical science

Medical science is leading the response to the virus of unknown source noting the strain now identified is the result of a family of 4 entering Austrakia, 2 of them infected

And that is its own commentary of this Pandemic and the dangers it presents - globally as figures attest

It would be better to reduce the risk to St Kilda FC being liable to any compensation or insurance or indeed having an injured player on our list or prevent any further episodes of concussion from a player who has shown he is very susceptible to head knocks the way he plays...rather than to try and say that ‘we can manage it this time round’ because we have better medical science.

Common sense tells you that it’s better to shut the gate and make it high enough so you can’t jump over it and put a secure lock on it before the proverbial horse has bolted! Prevention is much smarter than coming up with ‘management plans’, especially when there are many many similar types and healthier and better athletes out there

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

DownAtTheJunction wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 10:53am There’s an element of romance about players such as Paddy. I am sure we all wish him well.
But even when fit he was never the forward we had hoped for. There were some glimmers but that was all. I couldn’t see him returning to us as a forward. But if he was thrown a ‘life line’ then I might trial him across half back in a role like Jeremy McGovern. Saints players really rated his ability to take contested marks. That would seem his more natural position. This would lessen (but certainly not eliminate) concussion incidents.
That said he remains in the ‘high risk’ category and for all the fanfare we have rarely rehabilitated such a player.
:idea:

He’s a good bloke right? ...A ripper young fella!! We won’t learn will we?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Think we have to give him a chance. At the very worst hes better than a lot of clubs best key forwrad.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 10:10am McCartin is in control of his own destiny - his connection with St Kilda offering opportunity if he so desires and can so present

Disagree

1. Diabetes may or may not be manageable (at a cost)
2. Cumulative concussions. Massive risk. Uncontrollable
3. Loss of match seasoning, tempo of game etc,, maybe
4. Political/media/scrutiny , determined by stuff outside our control
5. Trigger happy, cancel culture warriors parading their credentials ...there is no stopping them. It’s bigger than the pandemic itself. Bigoted? Please. Of course.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 12:38pm Think we have to give him a chance. At the very worst hes better than a lot of clubs best key forwrad.
Out of interest... which ones do you rate him better than?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 12:47pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 12:38pm Think we have to give him a chance. At the very worst hes better than a lot of clubs best key forwrad.
Adelaide, Freo, Norrth, Melbourne, Brisbane, Hawthorn Collingwood.

Sydney Carlton and Essendon if both Buddy Curnow and Daniher don't return.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

And what happens the first concussion/big knock he takes? He'll be out for a month just to be safe!

After hearing what his symptoms were and how long he was suffering from them, no idea why he wants to come back and potentially go through that again or worse, it sounds crazy.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Needs to look after his brain. Far more important than getting on our list and playing ressies. Hard no

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 12:54pm

Right now

Tom > Paddy

Tom McDonald had a brilliant year when Hogan was there and he didn’t cop the oppo best defender

Not sure on Tex. Brilliant footballer but probably not the right fit atm and not sure that he can defend. If Tommy Lynch from Adelaide wants to play finals I wouldn’t mind him although he’s not really considered a key forward
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 20 Aug 2020 1:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 1:38pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 12:54pm

Right now

Tom > Paddy
Meh I'd say Paddy would still offer more.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Based on potential yes. Based on what we see and based on current reality and fitness NO

Sanctorum
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 1:30pm Needs to look after his brain. Far more important than getting on our list and playing ressies. Hard no
Absolutely Paddy's #1 priority (and incidentally our club) is to look after his brain, once damaged the after effects can be extremely serious and last a lifetime. The best advice to give Paddy is to go and have a yarn with John Barnes, after which I imagine he would back right off from a return to football at any level:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-19/ ... n/10915086

I would go even further and suggest that if the AFL and Players' Association had any sense of responsibility and duty of care, Paddy and others with cumulative concussions should not be given a licence to play in any of the competitions under its jurisdiction.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 4:11pm
Beno88 wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 3:53pm The club has already assured Paddy he will be reselected providing he is fit to do so.

The timing has worked out perfectly as late picks will be purely speculative given there's been no TAC Cup or VFL in 2020.
How do you know this?
From the man himself.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 7:22am
Otiman wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 11:29pm My feel is this.

We let other teams have first crack, if they want him they can give him a go.

If nobody bites, we put him on the rookie list and give him all the opportunities he deserves.

Max King could be a gun FF or the best ruck/mid in the comp. If Paddy can step back in and be that target, he would be huge for the team.
I like it. Because our current Paddy will only be around for another year or two so it could be a really nice succession plan.

But I also really like the bit about others having first crack and then we bring him on but I'm certain he'll get snapped up quickly if we allow it. We owe it to him to help him out whatever way we can.
Are you seriously suggesting that Paddy McCartin succeed Paddy Ryder as St Kilda's #1 tap ruckman? What makes you think that Paddy Mc can ruck at the elite level?

I also wonder how you arrive at your assertion that "We owe it to him to help him out whatever way we can". In what way does the St Kilda FC owe Paddy McCartin anything - have they in some way not done the right thing by him previously, or been negligent in their duty of care somehow??

I bear no ill-will or have any criticism of Paddy McCartin, and feel really sorry for the man because he has not been able to live up to the expectations everyone had for him, and more so, that he has not achieved the standard normally expected of a #1 draft pick which I imagine must weigh on his mind. But as I have posted before, I would hate to see him suffer further damage to his brain and suffer declining health as he gets older.
Last edited by Sanctorum on Thu 20 Aug 2020 4:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

There was an article late last year in The Age that said Paddy McCartin would be able to return to the AFL as a delisted Free Agent.
Not sure whether or not that meant at that immediate time or at any time.

Special
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 4:24pm
Beno88 wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 3:53pm The club has already assured Paddy he will be reselected providing he is fit to do so.

The timing has worked out perfectly as late picks will be purely speculative given there's been no TAC Cup or VFL in 2020.
How do you know this?
From the man himself.
WTF?

Why would we want Spud McCartin back on our list??

Is it to prevent him taking us to the cleaners legally due to all his concussions and how we managed it and kept selecting him??

I can’t see any other logical reason.

He’s not up to it, and way to big a risk if he gets hit in the head again.

If he does end up on our list again, I hope it’s on the understanding that’s it’s purely a ceremonial appointment and he plays all his footy for Sandy.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 1:30pm Needs to look after his brain. Far more important than getting on our list and playing ressies. Hard no
The fact that he wants to come back probably tells us as much as we need to know about the damage he's already done!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Special wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 4:36pm
Beno88 wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 4:24pm

How do you know this?
From the man himself.
WTF?

Why would we want Spud McCartin back on our list??

Is it to prevent him taking us to the cleaners legally due to all his concussions and how we managed it and kept selecting him??

I can’t see any other logical reason.

He’s not up to it, and way to big a risk if he gets hit in the head again.

If he does end up on our list again, I hope it’s on the understanding that’s it’s purely a ceremonial appointment and he plays all his footy for Sandy.
What a crock of s***.

Rocket
Club Player

The treatment he had in the US, has Paddy in a very, very good place. Same doctor who treated Koby S, Owen Wright, Kevin Pierce and many other professionals in the US. Medicinal Marijuana, CDB is a major part of the recovery, healing.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Special wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 4:36pm ...
See Paddy's new manager?
Saul Goodman.