Audit: Where are we (maybe, really) now?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Audit: Where are we (maybe, really) now?

Audit Time.

The ship feels righted. (Again)

We are going in the right direction

The competition seems to have changed. Anyone can see the ladder, hear the chatter to see how teams like Collingwood-who toweled us up- are in a tough spot. North and Freo, who beat us, seem like minnows again. GWS, WB, Hawthorn, Melbourne and Carlton show flashes...

And the team we just beat, says our glorious journo darling of the AFL,

Since beating Collingwood in round five, Essendon has won just two matches – by three points in round eight against Adelaide, the team which is firmly on track to do what no VFL/AFL club has done since 1964, and go through a season winless, and in round six against North Melbourne, which has lost nine of 10 matches since round two, its only win in that time coming against the Crows.

We have a few injuries, not bad compared to the comp as a whole, but for a top four team more significant.

It’s hard to count Hanners as an injury - like McCartin before him, his chronic condition is just assumed and he has not been an on field factor. Dunstan, yes. Paton, I hope, is all good.

It feels to me that we are about an 6th to 10th team with a lot of potential right now. Sitting high on the ladder (which I love) but how consistent we are gonna be seems anyone’s guess. Our second half’s, especially third quarters have been diabolical compared to our fast starts, but none of us would swap this right now for 2013-2019, so good times, let the, roll on please.

Where do you see us, as you are today, realistically, as a fan, can be. A St Kilda one. Lol.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
johnearljames
Club Player

Re: Audit: Where are we (maybe, really) now?

We are a 5th to 8th placed side IMO at the moment.

If we beat Brisbane I would say just 3rd to 4th.

We are not top 2 quality until guys like King, Clark, Coffield , Howard, etc. become better and with the addition of a good expierenced mid for next year.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I see us similar to Brisbane last year. They finished 2nd, we're not gonna match that. But I think 4th is very much in play, especially if WC's hub form is like the first part of the season.

But we're gonna be shown to be a level below those good teams once the finals come around. The concerns around clearances will show up, exactly like the game against Geelong. The small forwards wont get the opportunities they're used to, and the pressure that comes with ball in hand goes up a level.

The 3rd quarters have been both a concern and a positive. Yes, we're dropping off around the ground and not getting our hands on the ball, but we're not getting big scores piled on, and are able to turn the tide - the 2 games in Adelaide being the best examples of this. We'd be getting cut up in previous years, and we'd be done for the game and lose by 40+. We've found some resilience in these average 3rd quarters, which might prove crucial.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Before the 22 day "Footy Frenzy", we sat 4th, with a percentage of 117.1%.

We've gone 3-1 over four matches in 16 days. We're now 5th, with a percentage of 115.8%.

Despite the small percentage hit, we all would have taken that 3 weeks ago.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote=Beno88 post_id=1861186 time=1597631956 user_id=8933]
Before the 22 day "Footy Frenzy", we sat 4th, with a percentage of 117.1%.

We've gone 3-1 over four matches in 16 days. We're now 5th, with a percentage of 115.8%.

Despite the small percentage hit, we all would have taken that 3 weeks ago.
[/quote]

And it just goes to show how hard it is to be a top four side.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Before the season I thought we were good enough to be a 5th-8th side, and right now I think that's where we'll finish this year and get some valuable (and long awaited!) finals experience.

Get another year into King/Coff/Clarke/Bytel etc, hopefully add a few more quality (or star) mids in the off season, and I think we can give the top four a real shake in 2021.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 17 Aug 2020 2:06pm Before the season I thought we were good enough to be a 5th-8th side, and right now I think that's where we'll finish this year and get some valuable (and long awaited!) finals experience.

Get another year into King/Coff/Clarke/Bytel etc, hopefully add a few more quality (or star) mids in the off season, and I think we can give the top four a real shake in 2021.

Yep. Spot on.