Gresham back stress fractures - Season over?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Gresham back stress fractures - Season over?

Let's see if Paddy can tap it to Bytel!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ST KILDA does not expect dynamic midfielder Jade Gresham to be seen again in 2020 after scans revealed a sizeable fracture in his lower back.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/484693/upda ... n-unlikely

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 13 Aug 2020 12:58pm ST KILDA does not expect dynamic midfielder Jade Gresham to be seen again in 2020 after scans revealed a sizeable fracture in his lower back.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/484693/upda ... n-unlikely
Big loss.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From that afl article posted above.

"In better news, Lethlean confirmed Hannebery had not been ruled out for 2020 and was back running.

"So he'll get a three-week block in before he can, hopefully, join the third hub if the AFL gets that up at the end of the month, which is a hub really designed for clubs to stock their players and staff for finals if they need them.

"That's our plan, to get (Hannebery) back up here, get him into training and the timing on that would just about get him to the first week of finals, if we're lucky enough to make it. He's certainly a live prospect, which is good, because it keeps him hungry to get his rehab under control, which is good."

minneapolis
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 6:09pm
Devilhead wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 6:03pm That's a big blow but it will present an opportunity for some one else - maybe Bytel gets a good run at it now

Gresh' s output has been diminished the last few weeks so maybe he has had this soreness for a bit
THat's what I thought too. Like Billings sometimes, you see plenty good, but you just imagine it could be more.

So, Ross, Lonie, Bytel, Jones, have to step up. (Bytel has done nothing wrong) And another chance for Byrnes?

Kent, unfortunately, will probably continue now. Love you Kent, just please do more effectively.

Oh Boy....I hope it aint that 'here we go moment'
Thinking the same thing.

Collingwood were flying and then Howe did his knee (badly).

First Pies thought was "we can cover him".

But it was the beginning of an annus horribilis.

But I think we can cover the loss of Gresh. 8-)

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

The inury is bad and could hurt us beyond 2020. He is the best homegrown talent on our list and crucial to our midflied development. No Gresh = a big blow to our immediate future.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 7:27am The inury is bad and could hurt us beyond 2020. He is the best homegrown talent on our list and crucial to our midflied development. No Gresh = a big blow to our immediate future.
Disagree. He’s a good clearance player but only an average midfielder. If we can’t cover Gresh then we’re not travelling nearly as well as we thought we were. He’s played every game this year and I’d be shocked if was currently in top 10 of B&F

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Moods wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 9:17am
Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 7:27am The inury is bad and could hurt us beyond 2020. He is the best homegrown talent on our list and crucial to our midflied development. No Gresh = a big blow to our immediate future.
Disagree. He’s a good clearance player but only an average midfielder. If we can’t cover Gresh then we’re not travelling nearly as well as we thought we were. He’s played every game this year and I’d be shocked if was currently in top 10 of B&F
We will see I suppose over the next month how average he is. Has been a long time since we won 4 in a row so hopefully Bytel can help us to win the next 4.

kalsaint
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 5:30pm That is a real body blow. He gets bagged on here a lot (which I’ve never really understood). He, Steele and Ryder/Marshall have been prominent in our rise. He’s very good at winning clearances.

We need to find some midfielders quick smart if we intend to contend.

If it were me, I’d have tried Hunter Clark in there already (not sure why the reluctance as we have adequate replacements who can play half back - Savage, Robertson, Webster when fit). Perhaps he doesn’t have the tank is the only reason I can think of.

Billings may have to spend much more time in there.

With Ross and Jones presumably back in this week, we are okay for in-and-unders for the moment. What we will lack if Gresham is out is above all, guys who can create.
Maybe but I really think we need to work on our effectiveness of our clearances. Gresham is quite good in this regard. We need plentiful insiders to ensure we get the ball clear of the mid 15 metres to use our wingers speed and creativeness (Hill and Billings to speedy players) to open up the angles down forward. This forces the defence to move and not just punch away from bombing forward attempts. Collingwood do this rather well as they don't have big forwards.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency