Alan Richo should get some credit

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Alan Richo should get some credit

Trev from the Bush wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 9:35pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 4:05pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 3:45pm I am not sure about your motivation here - admittedly, I’m often not sure of my own, and I Know better - but it sounds like ‘rat among the pigeons’ kind of post.

Richo coached St Kilda through some forgettable years, let’s be honest. As did the fellow before him. From a distance, it seems that Richo was a stoic and calm guy who gave it a good shot.

But I am interested in the role that these (for want of a better phrase) ‘processes, or KPIs, or metrics, and how the club determines things, systems etc.’ had in keeping him in the post for so long. Was was flawed? Or was it just inertia?

Have to agree with Skeptic, but was it Richo’s fault that Weller, Newnes, etc. were picked up? No...but the buck had to stop somewhere, right? And the whole fiasco of the big forward with concussions? Seaford. The dreadful dark ages of ‘rebuild’ ...Gee, it makes my eyes and ears bleed when that word appears in front of me now.

Bless Richo for sure. But boy, we have moved on.and I’m thankful for that.
The motivation is very clearly to troll and perhaps to try and save face for over the top gruff directed at the many vocal critics of Richo here that were clearly right if perhaps too frustrated over the last year or so.

Easily the worst Saints coach of my lifetime... far worse than Timid Tim who even in his utter failure left us a better legacy after promptly realising his wasn’t up to the task. Only took him a year and a half and then he honourably fell on his sword rather than drag it out like Richo did to the latest possible stage.
Does the name Scott Watters job your memory at all?
Lol...
I did a mental rewind and completely skipped past Watters. Must have blocked him out.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 9:37pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 9:35pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 4:05pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 3:45pm I am not sure about your motivation here - admittedly, I’m often not sure of my own, and I Know better - but it sounds like ‘rat among the pigeons’ kind of post.

Richo coached St Kilda through some forgettable years, let’s be honest. As did the fellow before him. From a distance, it seems that Richo was a stoic and calm guy who gave it a good shot.

But I am interested in the role that these (for want of a better phrase) ‘processes, or KPIs, or metrics, and how the club determines things, systems etc.’ had in keeping him in the post for so long. Was was flawed? Or was it just inertia?

Have to agree with Skeptic, but was it Richo’s fault that Weller, Newnes, etc. were picked up? No...but the buck had to stop somewhere, right? And the whole fiasco of the big forward with concussions? Seaford. The dreadful dark ages of ‘rebuild’ ...Gee, it makes my eyes and ears bleed when that word appears in front of me now.

Bless Richo for sure. But boy, we have moved on.and I’m thankful for that.
The motivation is very clearly to troll and perhaps to try and save face for over the top gruff directed at the many vocal critics of Richo here that were clearly right if perhaps too frustrated over the last year or so.

Easily the worst Saints coach of my lifetime... far worse than Timid Tim who even in his utter failure left us a better legacy after promptly realising his wasn’t up to the task. Only took him a year and a half and then he honourably fell on his sword rather than drag it out like Richo did to the latest possible stage.
Does the name Scott Watters job your memory at all?
Lol...
I did a mental rewind and completely skipped past Watters. Must have blocked him out.
Thanks to your original post I'll probably have nightmares tonight, probably about trying to get it on with Snow White. Only to get mugged by Scotty and six mates!

Saint supporter since '62
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 6:41pm
The Fireman wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 6:39pm strange thread.
Yep. Weird even ffs. :roll:
I thought so too

its as though the poster wished to ingratiate himself and establish some credibility within our community by demonstrating his understanding of recent history of our club.
Its almost as though he's missed the past 5 years of heated discussion amongst the faithfull and been given a crash course recently and decided to be a little contrary

I'm calling Troll, for the first time in my over 10 years here

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 9:32pm
asiu wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 8:20pm i gotta say

how this cabbage
tedtheodorelogan2018 (3/3)
- continually commenting on another poster
- inappropriate post using a sexually explicit term
- culturally inappropriate post

johnnyrayflamingo (3/3) aka tedtheodorelogan2018
- trolling
- deliberate baiting and trolling
- trolling

Johnearljames (1/3) aka tedtheodorelogan
- trolling
winds our posters up
(bad posters)
and is getting away with winding our posters up
is beyond me

he’s infesting the General Forum as well

send Ted back to big footballer where he belongs ffs
TBH, the one you refer to is quite obvious but ultimately harmless. There are worse types of posters that pollute this forum.
yep maybe worse nonetheless a poor individual who gets his jollies from creating forum mayhem. Which is ok if you dont mind that sort of thing.
But ultimately a waste of space and honest discussion.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 10:21pm
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 9:32pm
asiu wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 8:20pm i gotta say

how this cabbage
tedtheodorelogan2018 (3/3)
- continually commenting on another poster
- inappropriate post using a sexually explicit term
- culturally inappropriate post

johnnyrayflamingo (3/3) aka tedtheodorelogan2018
- trolling
- deliberate baiting and trolling
- trolling

Johnearljames (1/3) aka tedtheodorelogan
- trolling
winds our posters up
(bad posters)
and is getting away with winding our posters up
is beyond me

he’s infesting the General Forum as well

send Ted back to big footballer where he belongs ffs
TBH, the one you refer to is quite obvious but ultimately harmless. There are worse types of posters that pollute this forum.
yep maybe worse nonetheless a poor individual who gets his jollies from creating forum mayhem. Which is ok if you dont mind that sort of thing.
But ultimately a waste of space and honest discussion.
Very true Fireman. I've never minded playing Devil's Advocate when I've believed there could be another option or simply to sh!t stir but I'll always put myy hand up if there's confusion.

Sadly on here we have to guess which makes anonymity even more cowardly.

johnearljames
Club Player

What? So we can't discuss ex coaches and their influence in this place?

Very odd.

How about Ross Lyon instead?

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
johnearljames
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 4:21pm Gee we are cockahoot at the moment aren't we.

You'd swear we are a lock for a flag dynasty.

We have won a few games in a compromised season.

5 new recruits since changing coaches and most of them are going to be great assets although Paddy wont be at the club long and Howard's performance against a qualtiy foward line keeps the jury out for the astute observer.

There is a fair amount of Richo's positive DNA in this current list. Ratts is good but he's only been in the job since October last year and we'll really need to see how the team goes when we start playing full strength competition again before we can start puffing our chests too far.

Yea Richo gets a big chunk of credit but so does the club in the way they seamlessly transitioned the coaches. It was very Un St Kilda like and very professionally and successfully handled. Richo would be welcome to visit the club anytime so there is your evidence of the positive legacy he left and how mucy credit he is entitled to.
Agreed.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Teds Dead Fred

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 10:43pm What? So we can't discuss ex coaches and their influence in this place?

Very odd.

more about your influence

johnearljames
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 10:54pm
johnearljames wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 10:43pm What? So we can't discuss ex coaches and their influence in this place?

Very odd.

Ok, that really makes sense on an obscure Saints fan forum.

How about some posters stick to the topic or don't contribute if you don't like it. Pretty easy choice as a grown adult.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

are you calling Fireman obscure ?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

OK, I'll play. You did your OP, posters replied, the majority with differing views to the OP yet you choose to focus on The Fireman & moan "stick to the topic". Why not refute what other posters have said about the OP? That's if you really do wish to stay on topic.

Thanking, agreeing with, an equally irrelevant poster does not count as staying on topic. FYI.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 11:03pm are you calling Fireman obscure ?
Obscure..a badge of honour my friend :)

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 5:49pm
Scollop wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 5:31pm Anyway...if cockhead A says to cockhead B that we are going to make finals because of Cho and they both agree...that's fine by me
So is Scollop and Skeptic the same poster or best mates?
maybe they are one and the same, good pick up :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 10:56pm
The Fireman wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 10:54pm

Very odd.

Ok, that really makes sense on an obscure Saints fan forum.

How about some posters stick to the topic or don't contribute if you don't like it. Pretty easy choice as a grown adult.
and that's how you treat this forum. There it is right there ladies and Gentlemen

asiu
Saintsational Legend

he was 3 palings short of a full fence
when he first turned up

someones been cold this winter

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Very odd.

We can and we can refute

But we can all recognise a weird post from someone, who if they were here at any time during the past 5 years, and with any understanding of what this place is about - would not bring up Richo or give him any credit for what is or may be happening now with this group - and in deference to the animosity that has taken place over the subject of the Cho and whatever he brought or didnt bring, the concensus is we move on and let the past be the past and not re open any old wounds - as a sacked coach vindicates the naysayers and humbles the apologists - we re unite around he new regime, because its much better than the past 5 years and heal our differences

btw - who told you about Ross Lyon?

kalsaint
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 3:31pm Respectfully disagree with the OP. I regard Cho as the most one dimensional coach we've had since Graham Gellie and Baldock. Much was made of our poor midfield etc but just remember for the first couple of years - Cho still had Lenny, Fisher, Gilbert, a lot of Roo, Steven. He was a truly awful Senior Coach. Our flaw was that we extended him when we had no need to.

Did he do everything wrong? No. Not at all. Much has to do with the environment and recruiting around the coach. We drafted poorly and then developed even worse. My gut feel is that the players we've got now who've become good have almost done it in spite of those leading them. The fact that he clearly lost the respect of the senior players says it all.

I've not missed his coaching nor game plan nor monotonous media performances one iota. Good luck to him but, I view the last 6 years as largely wasted - with a couple of false dawns thrown in for amusement/torture.
Totally agree. All we really lost was 5 years in key recruitment and development. Eek! Never understood how this club always avoided those midfielders who were built strong, crash and bang types, followed up forward entries to provide another option and continued big time to the score board. These types of guys ensure your forward line moves with greater effect.

He gone now and new plan has opened the door for future opportunity. Stagnant no more.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 11:10pm
Scollop wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 5:31pm Anyway...if cockhead A says to cockhead B that we are going to make finals because of Cho and they both agree...that's fine by me
Take a look at the general population. Do you see hundreds of Elon Musks or Bill Gates or do you see hundreds of nuff nuffs?

I don’t claim to be anywhere near the calibre of a businessman or genius like Musk, but the point I’m trying to make is that nuff nuffs see 2 people on this forum with analytical traits or similar views or a writing style that doesn’t rely on 5 word sentences, and all of a sudden they think Musk and Gates are twins

saynta
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 10:48pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 4:21pm Gee we are cockahoot at the moment aren't we.

You'd swear we are a lock for a flag dynasty.

We have won a few games in a compromised season.

5 new recruits since changing coaches and most of them are going to be great assets although Paddy wont be at the club long and Howard's performance against a qualtiy foward line keeps the jury out for the astute observer.

There is a fair amount of Richo's positive DNA in this current list. Ratts is good but he's only been in the job since October last year and we'll really need to see how the team goes when we start playing full strength competition again before we can start puffing our chests too far.

Yea Richo gets a big chunk of credit but so does the club in the way they seamlessly transitioned the coaches. It was very Un St Kilda like and very professionally and successfully handled. Richo would be welcome to visit the club anytime so there is your evidence of the positive legacy he left and how mucy credit he is entitled to.
Agreed.
Cockahoot? That's a f****** good ones. :roll:

Cordz2
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 3:31pm Respectfully disagree with the OP. I regard Cho as the most one dimensional coach we've had since Graham Gellie and Baldock. Much was made of our poor midfield etc but just remember for the first couple of years - Cho still had Lenny, Fisher, Gilbert, a lot of Roo, Steven. He was a truly awful Senior Coach. Our flaw was that we extended him when we had no need to.

Did he do everything wrong? No. Not at all. Much has to do with the environment and recruiting around the coach. We drafted poorly and then developed even worse. My gut feel is that the players we've got now who've become good have almost done it in spite of those leading them. The fact that he clearly lost the respect of the senior players says it all.

I've not missed his coaching nor game plan nor monotonous media performances one iota. Good luck to him but, I view the last 6 years as largely wasted - with a couple of false dawns thrown in for amusement/torture.
+1

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 11:30pm
Wayne42 wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 11:10pm
Take a look at the general population. Do you see hundreds of Elon Musks or Bill Gates or do you see hundreds of nuff nuffs?

I don’t claim to be anywhere near the calibre of a businessman or genius like Musk, but the point I’m trying to make is that nuff nuffs see 2 people on this forum with analytical traits or similar views or a writing style that doesn’t rely on 5 word sentences, and all of a sudden they think Musk and Gates are twins
I don't need to look at the general population to see nuff nuffs, there's a fair representation on fan forums.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Please don't ask for credit as refusal may cause offence.

Ok seeing its you Richo, put no forward/attacking structure, no demands for kicking skills and poor empathy with players on the slate. We will write it off against the Clubs reputation over a few seasons and hope clueless blandness becomes the new black. Can't do fairer, eh.

goods
Club Player

No chance he deserves credit. I cant even be bothered explaining why. Other than imo andmistration is the rebuild then follows player. So maybe he was caught in the sandwich

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

FFS - the CHO? do we have to go through the ridiculousness of his all again

A nice guy with a bunch of promise comes to our club
Fails
Stays too long
Cops more vitriole than a guy a nice he is should - but stays too long

had 5 years to develop players average, mediocre and good
had he done his job, we would have had a good team and contended

we were a long way off the mark - more fool us

cant just cherry pick the good players we got and attribute them to Richo
Every team get good players - did we, or Cho, really develop them in any way?