Lock up your mids

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lock up your mids

johnearljames wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 3:38pm We will nab one of our targets and they are very, very good.
Did they specifically single out Hannebery as the reason they’re interested in coming?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 4:51pm Hannabery would have been good in attracting attention to how desperate we were and how much we would overpay.Imagine Howard thinking if that would give a broken down 28 year old that sort of deal I wonder what I can screw out of them.as for driving training standards, I would like some evidence of this not just repetition of motherhood statements!
Lol :lol: :lol:

That could be the best explanation yet

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 10:53amAngus Brayshaw
The most overrated player in the league...
One way runner
Horrible kick
Bad on the spread
Ordinary tackler
Slow

that's a BIG NOOOOOO

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Need to focus our attention on game winners like Kelly, that guy would put us into premiership contention next year

stkfc1
Club Player

If we could get one gun and a good up and coming type, we'd be Top 4. We need another mature body in the middle, that can kick.

No to Brayshaw. We don't need any more concusion candidates.

footynut
Club Player

We should think smart and target a free agent. And Zach Williams would be a perfect candidate.
Then we could also trade for (throw money at) Andrew McGraph. If this failed a player like Jye caldwell would be another option

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

footynut wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 12:40am We should think smart and target a free agent. And Zach Williams would be a perfect candidate.
Then we could also trade for (throw money at) Andrew McGraph. If this failed a player like Jye caldwell would be another option
Never, ever deal with Essendon again. Ever!

saintkev
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 12:33pm I don't buy at all that the recruitment of DH somehow turned our club around and all of a sudden made us a desirable destination. I think this is just a narrative some have jumped on to help the trade feel better, which in fact has been a (easily predictable) disaster to this point.

As someone said not too long ago, Carlisle was the first big fish to come, and that was because we were looking exciting at that time. I would say Ratts taking over and a few other off field signings have done immensely more than one ageing injury prone former AA player.

I also think 4 of the 5 recruits came over mainly for opportunity and a pay rise, which is totally understandable.
A huge blowfish.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Reasons for being a destination club now:
1. No Richo
2. Brett Ratten
3. Moorabbin instead of Seaford

Zac Williams would be a really good pick

Nee!
ace
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 9:00am Reasons for being a destination club now:
1. No Richo
2. Brett Ratten
3. Moorabbin instead of Seaford

Zac Williams would be a really good pick
4. Even won a few games this year
5. A contender not a pretender
6. Lots of loot under the salary cap

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I don’t know his contractual requirements

But the young midfielder I would chase is Shai Bolton. Is going to be an absolute jet in the midfield

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Any decent young midfielder in the hand is worth 2 Hanneberies in the bush (who more often than not is going to be on the sidelines).

Dumb, short-sighted recruiting.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Hanners seems to have had an influence on Bytel and probably a few others.

Most of the money has been spent and most of it was probably front-loaded. It's money that would have been lost and anyway, it's just a sunk cost now.

I wouldn't write him off, yet.

I'm looking for positives.

🤷

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
samoht
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 11:37am Hanners seems to have had an influence on Bytel and probably a few others.

🤷
Yes, but, for all our positivity, searching for positives and glossing over the negatives, Hanners is writing himself off.
Anyway, Steele would have much more influence with his actions on the footy field week in week out.

Can Hanners positively influence his own hamstrings?

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 11:54am
SaintPav wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 11:37am Hanners seems to have had an influence on Bytel and probably a few others.

🤷
Yes, but, for all our positivity, searching for positives and glossing over the negatives, Hanners is writing himself off.
Anyway, Steele would have much more influence with his actions on the footy field week in week out.

:D

Nee!
footynut
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 1:30am
footynut wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 12:40am We should think smart and target a free agent. And Zach Williams would be a perfect candidate.
Never, ever deal with Essendon again. Ever!
I completely get the reluctance to trade with Essendon, i think he's out of contract, and if he wants to come, we'd be in the box seat.

Also is it possible for the club to rejig Hannebery's contract to include some of his wage as a coaching component under th soft cap?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 11:54am

🤷

1. I was strongly against the recruitment and said so at the time
2. I'm not glossing over the negatives. They are obvious
3. You can't change the past
4. The resident idiot and liar will come out and say the contrary to this

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I see Hanners simply because we had to spend the money. Like the research budget is determined for you and you simply have to spend it. He was at least third choice. In a free open market we would not have purchased.

Let’s just say we bought a huge mahogany table for the tea thermos in the back garage. Shame of course. How does he get motivated? That is the question. If he wants to coach, he better pull his socks up. We have lol forgiven him three times so far. And right now, we say, it’s not his fault his hammies are shot.

Would like to be a fly on the wall in the footy department about this....or maybe it would be slightly disconcerting.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

bigred wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 2:03pm I dont care why they came.

They came, and we are winning.

Brayshaw looks like a lazy footballer far too often.
Brayshaw is anything but lazy. He basically plays exactly the same role as Jack Viney. Once again on Sunday night, they proved that they cannot play in the same team together - they're definitely not complimentary. Brayshaw is a terrific footballer.

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 2:52pm I see Hanners simply because we had to spend the money. Like the research budget is determined for you and you simply have to spend it. He was at least third choice. In a free open market we would not have purchased.

Let’s just say we bought a huge mahogany table for the tea thermos in the back garage. Shame of course. How does he get motivated? That is the question. If he wants to coach, he better pull his socks up. We have lol forgiven him three times so far. And right now, we say, it’s not his fault his hammies are shot.

Would like to be a fly on the wall in the footy department about this....or maybe it would be slightly disconcerting.
We purchased an A grade midfielder when we didn't have :roll: one and one was badly needed. End of f****** story.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Most of the money has been spent and most of it was probably front-loaded. It's money that would have been lost and anyway, it's just a sunk cost now.

🤷
It is heavily front loaded. Heavily. The only people we were paying decent $ to when Dan arrived were Jack Billings and Dylan Roberton.

Go you red, black & white warriors
samoht
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 2:52pm Let’s just say we bought a huge mahogany table for the tea thermos in the back garage. Shame of course. How does he get motivated? That is the question. If he wants to coach, he better pull his socks up. We have lol forgiven him three times so far. And right now, we say, it’s not his fault his hammies are shot.

Good analogy ... something sure is rotten in the state of Denmark (or Dan mark2 - the version of Dan that we ended up with and the whole saga) - the huge mahogany table with the hefty price tag has been discovered to have wood-rot in its legs, and it might need to be converted into a coffee table and stay in the back garage for good.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 3:19pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 2:52pm Let’s just say we bought a huge mahogany table for the tea thermos in the back garage. Shame of course. How does he get motivated? That is the question. If he wants to coach, he better pull his socks up. We have lol forgiven him three times so far. And right now, we say, it’s not his fault his hammies are shot.

Good analogy ... something sure is rotten in the state of Denmark (or Dan mark2 - the version of Dan that we ended up with and the whole saga) - the huge mahogany table with the hefty price tag has been discovered to have wood-rot in its legs, and it might need to be converted into a coffee table and stay in the back garage for good.
More accurately, we were told it had wood-rot in it's legs before we purchased it, then acted bemused when this was still an issue after we handed over all the cash.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 3:15pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 2:52pm I see Hanners simply because we had to spend the money. Like the research budget is determined for you and you simply have to spend it. He was at least third choice. In a free open market we would not have purchased.

We purchased an A grade midfielder when we didn't have :roll: one and one was badly needed. End of f****** story.
We purchased an A grade midfield reputation. Not an A grade mid. He can barely get on the park. What, six games in two years at 500 K plus a year?
Lack of due diligence on our behalf to discover his fitness was way worse than we knew. That smells like rushing, grasping at straws and incompetence.
Poor decision. They’ve got lots of others right though.

saint6709
Club Player

samoht wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 3:19pm

Agree with this but also with the start of the originally quoted post which referred to the research budget - also its a bit more like a lease than a purchase - we needed to spend the money or somehow park it - the table might be in the back of the garage but when it’s Lease expires we have money to use rather than having overspent on below average leases that drag out for ages - it future proofs out spending capacity- having said that 3 years would have probably been a better length of contract

Agree 100% on the combined comments above that get to 6 reasons why good players are now more likely to want to come to the saints