Changes v Swans

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Swans

Saint_Singapore wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 4:19pm
Jacks Back wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:20pm Parker plays one game (6 possessions) but can stay in and Byrnes has one game (5 possessions) and is dropped?
Byrnes was in the midfield and just didnt look like he wanted it. Parker was up forward, wanted it and applied preasure - he was just rusty. Parker is someone who could come back next time hungrier.. not sure Byrnes is at that point yet.
I'm a Parker fan but I didn't like it on a couple of occasions when he 'flew' in the pack against our 'talls'.
Almost seemed like he didn't understand our gameplan?

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

terry smith rules wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:36am
nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:27am Re Geary I think its more a rest than dropping if he is out. Going to need a few changes each week to get through the next month and given his recent injuries and age he'll likely be one.
But not this week as Papley is a great match up for him.
10000% agree

Go you red, black & white warriors
saintbob
SS Life Member

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 3:25am
saintbob wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 2:44am The only change should be Bytel for Ross
You think Parker is worth another go?

Kent?

Hind?
Hind and Kent didn’t impact too much on the scoreboard but their pressure around the contest was very good.

Parker will be better for the run.

All 3 are better options than Lonie IMHO

stkfc1
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 6:38pm
terry smith rules wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:36am
nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:27am Re Geary I think its more a rest than dropping if he is out. Going to need a few changes each week to get through the next month and given his recent injuries and age he'll likely be one.
But not this week as Papley is a great match up for him.
10000% agree
Stop Papley, we win. Geary plays.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Win the midfield and the centre clearances and that will do it.

One year will be our year
To the top
SS Life Member

We are now in a position we hoped to be in courtesy of our recruiting and the continuing development of our class youth - as a finals participant in 2020, and better, because the reason you play finals is to win

So are we in advance of where Ratts and his team though we would be when he challenged our youth to make their mark and forge ahead of our experienced contingent?

I think we might be

So 2020 is 2021

Having got to this position we now push harder - so we do not “gift” games for development, we put our best available side on the park each game (including correctly matched)

We have a “bottom end” not to where I would like to see and, coincidentally, they are all “defensive forwards” so role players rounding out our 22

Hannebery is a loss - he is experience in a young side and class

But we move on

Our back 6, with Long back, will only get better

We lack the class mid, but that is for 2021

Our wings, Hill and Billings, are class

Our rucks - well say no more

Marshall, King and Membrey with Butler

Battle both ends

So it will be down to injuries because our 22 still lacks a couple

The result of this rambling is that every week is a new challenge including that Sydney have enjoyed playing us, their mids getting us

So first we reverse history on them

Then the next challenge - a week at a time

And the closer we get, until a double chance is confirmed, the more wins we seek

So best side on the park - unless we fall in a heap and will not qualify for finals when we can test the List looking at 2021

Sanctorum
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 2:21pm
Beware the Swans - they looked good yesterday - the big thing in our favour next week is that the Swans struggle on big grounds and we haven't played them on a big ground for a decade. We play them Saturday at the 'Gabba.
They have made a habit of hammering us and finishing games off early and these losses have coincided with the Swans coming good against us since 2013. The first quarter will be all important. Sydney will be up and about after yesterday.
You're right samuraisaint, Swans have had the wood on St Kilda for a long time, but as they showed last night against the best team in 2020, this Saints team is on a mission, and the way they rolled Port in the last quarter proves that they can withstand anything that is thrown at them.

St Kilda's style of play this year, relentless ,aggressive, hard running attack and tight defence, is the direct opposite of the way the Swans play and Longmire doesn't possess the intellectual flexibility to adjust his game plan, nor does he have the manpower to withstand the Saints' outstanding forwards.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Parker Ross and Kent
For
Battle bytes and Lonnie

#1 Ryder fan
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 3:43pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:35pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 25 Jul 2020 11:52pm Gotta give these guys a chance IMO...
Parker, Hind etc

There was a time not long ago when Coffields, Clarkes, Kents etc put in some subpar games but you gotta play them for them to get better
100%
How the hell are we going to contend unless we get games into the lads?
How will we know if they have the ability to emerge?

Parkers had a few games that were very nice...
Hind had a few beauties as well.

If we had the VFL this year both these guyss would be substantially better.

Personally, I dont see Parker ever being in our 22 long term.
His best is defensive work but I think he wants to be more forward.
Hind could be a rotation, maybe.

Im keen to see Patton, Bytel, Mayo, Phillips etc get some game time....but not sure who they replace or if they're ready.
Mayo has gone home. For surgery on his knee. Doubt if he will return. Certainly not this year.
Damn forgot about Mayo's knee. Is Patton dropped or genuinely injured?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 9:52pm
Parker, Hind etc

There was a time not long ago when Coffields, Clarkes, Kents etc put in some subpar games but you gotta play them for them to get better
100%

Im keen to see Patton, Bytel, Mayo, Phillips etc get some game time....but not sure who they replace or if they're ready.
Mayo has gone home. For surgery on his knee. Doubt if he will return. Certainly not this year.
Paton has being playing every week and is getting better.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Cantona7

Ross out

One of Battle or Byrnes

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 5:44pm
Jacks Back wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:20pm Parker plays one game (6 possessions) but can stay in and Byrnes has one game (5 possessions) and is dropped?
Byrnes was in the midfield and just didnt look like he wanted it. Parker was up forward, wanted it and applied preasure - he was just rusty. Parker is someone who could come back next time hungrier.. not sure Byrnes is at that point yet.
I'm a Parker fan but I didn't like it on a couple of occasions when he 'flew' in the pack against our 'talls'.
That doesn’t bode well.
I didn’t see the game, but I saw Parker do this last season several times. It’s great he is contesting, but it doesn’t look good when he contests with our own. He should have been made aware of this by now from tapes and coaching. Not saying it is his fault as you could argue, the onus is on the ‘tall’ to communicate and not just him.

But something about the setup has to improve.

Parker is obviously too tall to be a ground level crumber so I suppose he isn’t going to sit and wait square of the pack.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
ace
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 12:51am
Mr Magic wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 5:44pm
That doesn’t bode well.
I didn’t see the game, but I saw Parker do this last season several times. It’s great he is contesting, but it doesn’t look good when he contests with our own. He should have been made aware of this by now from tapes and coaching. Not saying it is his fault as you could argue, the onus is on the ‘tall’ to communicate and not just him.

But something about the setup has to improve.

Parker is obviously too tall to be a ground level crumber so I suppose he isn’t going to sit and wait square of the pack.
Parker needs to spread away from the talls, take his opponent away from that contest and be an alternative marking target to the kick it to talls pack.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 10:30pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 9:52pm
Parker, Hind etc

100%

Paton has being playing every week and is getting better.
Paton is generally good.
Destroys opposition panzers.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
minneapolis
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 1:30am
Parker, Hind etc

You are not kidding...!

How many times were Kent and Parker picked last year, way, way past the point of evidence?

Coffield too.

I like Parker (but like Kent was selected way too long in '19) and I don't know HInd. Living O/S and I only have radio like SEN to inform me.

Nothing on the radio I heard tonight suggests that Lonie IN, and Parker or Kent OUT would be a bad move.
https://www.watchafl.com.au/

Gramby,

you can watch every game online.

It is $165 USD for a years subscription.

I use it every day. It works great. As a bonus you can watch Roo in the show On The Couch. It is all class.

You can download the WatchAFL app on your tablet or phone. Even better you can download it on your AppleTV or smart TV. Excellent.

Also if you subscribe now you might be able to watch this seasons games already played. Not sure about that though.

If you can't afford around $200 Aussie for a year then give up Starbucks!

Seriously if you can't afford that much money then start a GoFundMe page and we will all kick in $20 each.

Footy is really important when you are in a "footy desert"!

Good luck Shane.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Special
Club Player

Parker is 2020 version of a Nathan Wright.

Parker’s job is to bash and crash and sacrifice his own Heath for the greater good.

That’s why he was selected.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 1:25am Parker needs to spread away from the talls, take his opponent away from that contest and be an alternative marking target to the kick it to talls pack.
I thought the same thing! Watching his pace, he gets so much distance between him and his opponent, he needs to draw that away from other contests. He shouldn't be flying against King, Ryder, Marshall... and we're pretty set for crumbers with Butler, Kent, Lonie, Hind. Parker is a one man show, and I mean that as a complement. One on one he is at his most dangerous, sprint forward and drag his opponent away, fly on his head or get the crumbs and watch the opposition panic.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
stkfc1
Club Player

Parker was rusty as all hell but his pressure was excellent. He had a few stuff ups but after 1st game back after a long stretch, that's ok. He missed one goal attempt out in the full, but Kent played on one of his frees and the umps also somehow missed him being decapitated in the last Q which should have been another free so he could of had 2 goals to his name and we'd be looking at him in a different light. He also did some nice things and again his pressure is manic. He can take a mark which he has over Lonie, he just needs to learn when to go for them instead of working on his highlight reel on every attempt. Agree with others, he needs to work on spacial awareness and how he can help make space for others.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:35pm.

Patton could replace Paton.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
bergsone
SS Life Member

out Ross
in Savage

Give Clarke more midfield time,anyway reckon they may look at this

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

If Ross or Kent are even slightly injured they should rest. I'd be happy to replace them with Bytel and Lonie.

Agree Parker was average, but he's physically intimidating, I'd keep him in the side until Long is back.

I'm a huge fan of Battle, but to be honest I'd wait a week or two till one of our bigger guys needed the rest.

George27
Club Player

My view is that Parker took Battle’s spot ( Parker is 190cm ) , and Hind took Lonie’s spot.

Battle was injured and Lonie dropped.

Hind was ok , so I reckon he will stay.

Battle has been playing well, likely to be fit, so should return - and I don’t think Parker did enough to prevent that happening.

If Ross is out, it would be tempting to put Clark on the ball, but I would not do that whilst Long is still out. Keep the backline strong ( and Geary on Papley ). So maybe Bytel gets his shot.

If Kent is injured ( I think he is ok ) then I suspect Lonie gets a reprieve.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 7:10pm out Ross
in Savage

Give Clarke more midfield time,anyway reckon they may look at this
C L A R K ...........ffs

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

From what I’m hearing there will be quite a few changes ( after the Swans game ) that may baffle a few but it’s just nursing them through the next month. You don’t want to be sitting on the top of the ladder if you’re missing a few of your key playmakers at the end of the season. I gather August will be hamstring month in the AFL.

ace
Saintsational Legend

After watching the Sydney v Hawthorn match the biggest change may have to be how we play.
36 players on one side of the ground between the two 50m arcs.
Massive press by both teams but Sydney got through the press just a few times to win the game.

We have struggled to get the ball out of the defensive 50m arc.
Third quarter against Port, last half against Fremantle.
We will need a plan and perfect execution to get through.

Contested marks, clean hitouts to advantage and run from behind will be vital.
Shutting down Papley, I think Geary is the one to sacrifice his game to tag him tight.