Let’s talk umpires and cheating

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Let’s talk umpires and cheating

The_Dud wrote: Mon 20 Jul 2020 11:15pm The umpiring was bad.

But explain how our 5 shots at goal from frees and Tex’s clear mark right in front not paid fits into the conspiracy?
They may be incompetent which is highly annoying.
But no one dies unlike Dan Andrews incompetence.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
resaintlee
Club Player

I suggest having a look at the comments on the fox footy site to see what the ‘experts’ have to say about the umpiring.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

resaintlee wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 3:45pm I suggest having a look at the comments on the fox footy site to see what the ‘experts’ have to say about the umpiring.
Hun having a go as well.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... c9727d5649

"A shake of the head and a sigh was all St Kilda coach Brett Ratten could manage when asked about what had become of the holding the ball rule following St Kilda’s victory over Adelaide on Monday night.

“That’s not my job … there was a few (interesting decisions),” Ratten said.

“Sometimes it would be pretty hard to be a ballplayer and put your hands on it.

“We have to be careful that we don’t have players just sitting there and ready to tackle players, that’s not the way that we want to play the game.

“There’s a fine line and you have to be given some sort of chance, but we will leave it to the umpires.”

"From 109 tackles for the game, 48 free kicks were paid.

Hawthorn Premiership player Campbell Brown joked the umpiring was “going about as well as Kanye’s presidential rally”.

No worries though, some will still support the maggots through thick and thin.

Ratts has some advice for the AFL too but Nix refused to comment. Not surprising after the leg up his side of losers got last night.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/be- ... 55du7.html

saynta
Saintsational Legend

And this.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 0b3c124ace

"Ratten said after his side’s 23-point win on Monday that he felt ball players were being unfairly penalised.

“Sometimes it’d be pretty hard to be a ballplayer and try and put your hands on it,” Ratten said.

“We have to be careful that we haven’t got players just sitting there waiting to tackle players. That’s not how we want to play the game.

“It’s a fine line and you’ve got to be given some sort of chance to get rid of it."

To me it was just a given that the maggots would bend us over in Adelaide last night. And they did. We were well and truly rogered. 6 maggot assisted goals to the crows out of a total of 8 that they kicked. f****** disgraceful.

St.Roly
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 3:48pm
resaintlee wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 3:45pm I suggest having a look at the comments on the fox footy site to see what the ‘experts’ have to say about the umpiring.

Without going back over the 3 previous pages in all its glory, I don't recall anybody denying that - overall - the umpiring in the game last night was anything other than unsatisfactory.

What some - including me - fundamentally disagree with is the allegation that, in effect, poor decision-making is in fact a somehow coordinated, deliberate and dishonest campaign of cheating to favour one team over another.

St.Roly
Club Player

Addendum: The Age is reporting that Hayden Kennedy has called Ratts to concede that errors were made.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

St.Roly wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 4:26pm

Without going back over the 3 previous pages in all its glory, I don't recall anybody denying that - overall - the umpiring in the game last night was anything other than unsatisfactory.

What some - including me - fundamentally disagree with is the allegation that, in effect, poor decision-making is in fact a somehow coordinated, deliberate and dishonest campaign of cheating to favour one team over another.
Cheating? who really knows. Whispers in the sky was clearly a case where maggots decided to influence the outcome of the game. For financial gain? Probably not. For bruised egos ? Yes probably.

What I have said many times is that umpires are human, they make mistakes, are seemingly influenced by the noise of affirmation from the crowd and have their obvious likes and dislikes. Some players are doted on, others like Greene and Milne are crucified.

Umpires growing up obviously have been fans in previous lives and would have supported a team. Maybe, the filth, the drug cheats or the brown baggers,. Are they stil favouring their team when ompiring a game? Probably at times.

Do they try and influence games for money? Who really knows. Umpires in other sports have been known to bet on the outcome of games , so why not in the AFL?

The saints have been receiving the rough end of the pineapple for more than a decade now,. Why? I don't know, does anyone?

The maggots last night were atrocious, Some are saying it was the worst umpired game ever, Why? Why when we are leading the whole time, first to the ball and the more skillful team, were the frees so heavily weighted in the crows favour? Why did the crows get 6 of their eight goals from frees or 50 metre penalties ffs? Hy was the free kick count 29 to 19 in favour of the home crowd.

Yeah, I don't believe that we have been given a fair suck of the sauce bottle for years now? Why? Incompetent maggots or just exercising their likes and dislikes? You tell me.

But first go back over the stats for the past 11 or 12 years and see who is at the bottom of the list or near enough to for frees for and at the top or near enough for frees against.

/
Last edited by saynta on Tue 21 Jul 2020 5:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

If you want the best games you want to please the clubs with the most say. If Eddie Maguire comes out and says the umpires cost Collingwood the game people are going to examine that game. That's why Collingwood are always on the right side of 50/50 calls.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the age.com.au

"AFL umpires boss Hayden Kennedy has phoned St Kilda coach Brett Ratten after a series of controversial decisions in Monday night's game against Adelaide.

The Age has confirmed that Kennedy conceded several of the decisions were incorrect and talked to Ratten about the holding the ball rule, which has sparked confusion among players and coaches alike.
Umpires boss Hayden Kennedy during his days as an AFL whistle-blower.

Umpires boss Hayden Kennedy during his days as an AFL whistle-blower.Credit:John Donegan

Ratten stopped short of being critical in his post-match media conference on Monday night, instead saying the umpires needed to "be careful" in protecting the player hunting the ball.

The holding the ball rule has been a bone of contention for several weeks, since umpires were reminded by league football boss Steve Hocking that a player can have a free kick paid against them if they're not making a genuine attempt to get rid of the footy.

Despite winning against Adelaide, St Kilda have been left quietly seething about several decisions in Monday night's match, which saw 48 free kicks paid between the two teams."

Bet you he would not have called if the saints had lost.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

29 September 2018, less than 2 minutes on the clock - you can only imagine and sympathise with the shock Eddy and Eddywoods felt when the team he sub contracted to N.Buckley did not get a free in the Sheed marking contest. 20 July 2020, Ed would have seen the lighter side of Walker's first free last night. And laughed, can you imagine how the rule has changed in less than 2 years he giggled. Ah well, whats another premiership, those silly little umpiring persons...

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 5:14pm 29 September 2018, less than 2 minutes on the clock - you can only imagine and sympathise with the shock Eddy and Eddywoods felt when the team he sub contracted to N.Buckley did not get a free in the Sheed marking contest. 20 July 2020, Ed would have seen the lighter side of Walker's first free last night. And laughed, can you imagine how the rule has changed in less than 2 years he giggled. Ah well, whats another premiership, those silly little umpiring persons...
:D Well said, but I did enjoy the filth getting bet over.

St.Roly
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 5:00pm

Cheating? who really knows. Whispers in the sky was clearly a case where maggots decided to influence the outcome of the game. For financial gain? Probably not. For bruised egos ? Yes probably.

What I have said many times is that umpires are human, they make mistakes, are seemingly influenced by the noise of affirmation from the crowd and have their obvious likes and dislikes. Some players are doted on, others like Greene and Milne are crucified.

Umpires growing up obviously have been fans in previous lives and would have supported a team. Maybe, the filth, the drug cheats or the brown baggers,. Are they stil favouring their team when ompiring a game? Probably at times.

Do they try and influence games for money? Who really knows. Umpires in other sports have been known to bet on the outcome of games , so why not in the AFL?

The saints have been receiving the rough end of the pineapple for more than a decade now,. Why? I don't know, does anyone?

The maggots last night were atrocious, Some are saying it was the worst umpired game ever, Why? Why when we are leading the whole time, first to the ball and the more skillful team, were the frees so heavily weighted in the crows favour? Why did the crows get 6 of their eight goals from frees or 5p metre penalties ffs?

Yeah, I don't believe that we have been given a fair suck of the sauce bottle for years now? Why? Incompetent maggots or just exercising their likes and dislikes? You tell me.

But first go back over the stats for the past 11 or 12 years and see who is at the bottom of the list or near enough to for frees for and at the top or near enough for frees against.

/
I am not at all clear on why incompetence and preferential treatment are the only two options you put forward. Perhaps, just perhaps, teams like us - that I full well know are near the bottom of the free kick differential ladder - do on balance give away more legitimate free kicks than we ought legitimately receive. Barring a statistical miracle - someone has to be one the favourable and unfavourable side of the ledger. Interesting too that GWS has fared the worst by quite a margin. I would have thought that the conspiracy theorists would have had "AFL-love child" GWS up there as a team that the umpires would be directed to favour. Perhaps the umpires have a problem with orange.

If it is claimed that there is some illegitimate - dare I say, illegal reason for it - in my view the onus is on those suggesting such a thing to back it up with evidence. Even better - I would challenge such a person to take out a full page ad in the paper and make a public claim of cheating against a particular AFL umpire and be prepared to launch a truth defence to defamation proceedings. Put your money where your mouth is.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

St.Roly wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 5:17pm
saynta wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 5:00pm

The maggots last night were atrocious, Some are saying it was the worst umpired game ever, Why? Why when we are leading the whole time, first to the ball and the more skillful team, were the frees so heavily weighted in the crows favour? Why did the crows get 6 of their eight goals from frees or 5p metre penalties ffs?

/
I am not at all clear on why incompetence and preferential treatment are the only two options you put forward. Perhaps, just perhaps, teams like us - that I full well know are near the bottom of the free kick differential ladder - do on balance give away more legitimate free kicks than we ought legitimately receive. Barring a statistical miracle - someone has to be one the favourable and unfavourable side of the ledger. Interesting too that GWS has fared the worst by quite a margin. I would have thought that the conspiracy theorists would have had "AFL-love child" GWS up there as a team that the umpires would be directed to favour. Perhaps the umpires have a problem with orange.

If it is claimed that there is some illegitimate - dare I say, illegal reason for it - in my view the onus is on those suggesting such a thing to back it up with evidence. Even better - I would challenge such a person to take out a full page ad in the paper and make a public claim of cheating against a particular AFL umpire and be prepared to launch a truth defence to defamation proceedings. Put your money where your mouth is.
:D :D As if. :wink: :wink: :wink: Come back down to earth.

Re GWS. Maybe none of the maggots barracked for them growing up, because they either didn't exist or weren't much chop for years or maybe not many maggots grew up in NSW. Just proves my theory , I might add, or at least gives weight to it. :wink:
Last edited by saynta on Tue 21 Jul 2020 5:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 5:24pm
f****** former cat.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Maybe, just maybe, we get a good run against port?! Would be the first time ever over there! Or interstate in general!
you never know the umps may treat us with a little extra care?!

Tell him he’s dreaming

#1 Ryder fan
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Yes indeed. Well put.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 10:01pm

Yes indeed. Well put.
I only have 4 words to say to torpedo that statement.

Whispers in the sky.

St.Roly
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 10:11pm

Yes indeed. Well put.

Whispers in the sky.
Yeah rightyo. Even accepting the evidence regarding the alleged “now we know what it feels like to have a win” comment, that is so far from establishing cheating it is risible. I may be wrong but I thought you claimed some knowledge of the law, evidence and standards of proof.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

St.Roly wrote: Wed 22 Jul 2020 12:00am
saynta wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 10:11pm

Yes indeed. Well put.

Whispers in the sky.
Yeah rightyo. Even accepting the evidence regarding the alleged “now we know what it feels like to have a win” comment, that is so far from establishing cheating it is risible. I may be wrong but I thought you claimed some knowledge of the law, evidence and standards of proof.
Alleged, my fat aunty. :wink: :wink: They will get caught out one day and shamed. Just like they were on Monday night. We will put that down to incompetence, shall we? :roll: :roll:

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 3:06pm
Beno88 wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 10:39am 51 free kicks against St Kilda in just two (shortened) matches.

Roughly a free against every 4 minutes.
Maths wrong - sorry

16 minute quarters - 8 of them = 128 minutes of Football

51 Free kicks against

One ever 150 seconds (2 1/2 minutes)
Game vs Freo was 108 mins, vs Adelaide 105 mins. 213 minutes in total. 213 / 51 = 4.17

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Highlights the significance of strong membership numbers, vocal supporters, lauded individual players (different rules apply) and to win consistently. If a side doesn't have any of that it starts from the second row. And I am not suggesting Umps are only human, the science is not settled on that.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Wed 22 Jul 2020 11:18am
Beno88 wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 10:39am 51 free kicks against St Kilda in just two (shortened) matches.

Maths wrong - sorry

51 Free kicks against

Game vs Freo was 108 mins, vs Adelaide 105 mins. 213 minutes in total. 213 / 51 = 4.17
I think he’s referring to actual playing time of 4 x 16 minute quarters

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 22 Jul 2020 11:44am Highlights the significance of strong membership numbers, vocal supporters, lauded individual players (different rules apply) and to win consistently. If a side doesn't have any of that it starts from the second row. And I am not suggesting Umps are only human, the science is not settled on that.
:D :) :wink:

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Wed 22 Jul 2020 11:52am
Beno88 wrote: Wed 22 Jul 2020 11:18am

Maths wrong - sorry

51 Free kicks against

I think he’s referring to actual playing time of 4 x 16 minute quarters
Absolutely - can't pay frees if no footy is being played - that would be silly - hang on - We are St Kilda

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!