Ross, Geary, Hill...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Ross, Geary, Hill...

A lot of heat was on these 3 senior players after last week (and the rest of the season) and do we think any of them delivered or showed anything?

Not for mine.

A few weeks off should be handed out IMO.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross, Geary, Hill...

All 3 were MIA again tonight. Maybe Geary was minding someone.

I know King is very new but he goes missing for too long. Membrey didn't do much.

Whoever plays next week will all have to put in to be any chance of coming close to Port.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 20 Jul 2020 11:44pm A lot of heat was on these 3 senior players after last week (and the rest of the season) and do we think any of them delivered or showed anything?

Not for mine.

Thought Geary did decent enough job but gave away a bad free late.
Ross was really really bad.
Least Hill had a few moments where he looked good despite being way down.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Mon 20 Jul 2020 11:47pm All 3 were MIA again tonight. Maybe Geary was minding someone.

I know King is very new but he goes missing for too long. Membrey didn't do much.

Whoever plays next week will all have to put in to be any chance of coming close to Port.
It’s a challenge for King though because his going missing coincides with those times in the game where we struggle for long periods to get past the centre.

Don’t know what he can do when we bomb the ball long to packs of opposition players

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Good luck with that.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 20 Jul 2020 11:44pm A lot of heat was on these 3 senior players after last week (and the rest of the season) and do we think any of them delivered or showed anything?

Not for mine.

How did Brodie Smith play??

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 20 Jul 2020 11:52pm

Not for mine.

Better than Ross, Geary and Hill.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 20 Jul 2020 11:54pm

Not for mine.

He had no influence so Geary did his job. Hill was ok Ross wasn’t great.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Not for mine.

Pretty sure Geary as tagging Brodie Smith who has been a catalyst for them, kept him very quite. If Ross has a team role I don't know what it is.

If Hanneburry is back next week Seb might be under a bit of pressure....but come to think of it the rookie was unsighted.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Mon 20 Jul 2020 11:58pm

Not for mine.

Pretty sure Geary as tagging Brodie Smith who has been a catalyst for them, kept him very quite. If Ross has a team role I don't know what it is.

If Hanneburry is back next week Seb might be under a bit of pressure....but come to think of it the rookie was unsighted.
But the rookie is the rookie and only had one fewer kick then Ross

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It’s important to keep Ross in the firsts...plus have Sebby playing in the midfield...who knows...

he may get 15-20 handball receives and vindicate some of his supporters.

The growth of the youngsters and the development of the team is secondary

Sebby Ross is a dual St Kilda best and fairest and our vice captain

You cannot tarnish the Trevor Barker Medal or the the people who made sure he won his second medal

older saint
SS Life Member

Geary tagged Brodie Smith who averages 20 + per game for them. I think he had 12 possessions so more than did his job. Hill was active early although faded, I wonder about his endurance fitness. Ross was disappointing and elsewhere I suggest sending him to tag Boak next weekend to have someone lead him to the ball ( also struggling as shorter games reduces his ability which is to run at a high ave speed the entire game which at the start isn't explosive wuick but late in qtrs. is better than all others) .

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Geary did his job and did it well. Hill started well, but offered nothing after half time. He seems a downhill skier, but you have to persevere with him.

Ross shouldn't be in the 22 and did nothing lasst night to suggest otherwise.

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

The_Dud wrote: Mon 20 Jul 2020 11:54pm

Not for mine.

Strongly disagree. Smith has been good last couple of weeks and Geary did a great job on him

Also that mark 14 took in the first quarter clearly lifted the team and helped stop Adelaides min charge and then we kicked two late goals

Yes the free against him in the last quarter was critical but the umpires again. Who can remember the last time a free was paid against the player when the call goes touched play on and the marking player is always given the benefit of doubt that they didn’t hear it

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 10:37am Geary did his job and did it well. Hill started well, but offered nothing after half time. He seems a downhill skier, but you have to persevere with him.

Ross shouldn't be in the 22 and did nothing lasst night to suggest otherwise.
You didn't see the two goals he was directly responsible for?

Liam_G
Club Player

Geary took on Brodie Smith, Adelaide's primary and most influential ball mover off half-back over the past month. Averaging 20+ dispoals a match during this time, Geary held him to only 12.

But more importantly, Smith only managed 264 metres gained last night. He averages 522 per match over the last month (662, 399, 581, 447). He completely negated Smith's ability to launch off half-back, negating the Crows' regular ball movement.

But no. Geary was terrible because he gave away a poor free kick....

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

I thought Geary - apart from the free kick issue (frikkin' lottery all night anyway) - was tremendous last night. When he has a direct target to play on - he's great. I'm someone had've told Ratten before last night's game that Brodie Smith would've had 12 touches and little influence - he'd have taken that in a heartbeat. Smith is Adelaide's best and most creative player by a mile. And that's what Geary gives you when he's got a direct lockdown - the coaches can plan around that player not getting much of it or making an impact. Excellent job.

Ross? MIA apart from the excellent tap to Butler and the bullet handball to Howard. 12 possessions from your most experienced full time mid (off the back of 10 last week) isn't helping much. Without Jones' first quarter and Steele ... we would've been cooked.

Hill. Started well - patchy but he's a cream on the cake guy. He has the best repeat endurance speed in the AFL. His strength is putting fire in the lungs of the opposition at the end of quarters / games so, not sure the shortened games/seasons are helping him.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Freebird
Club Player

How can you compare Ross to Hill....Hill is closely tagged but I don't think any opposition coach would ever tag Ross.
Obviously the opposition coaches know more than DUD

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 1:54pm How can you compare Ross to Hill....Hill is closely tagged but I don't think any opposition coach would ever tag Ross.
Obviously the opposition coaches know more than DUD
Hey, if you're happy with Hill's output considering what we gave up for him, what we pay him and his rep coming in, that good for you :)

Peanut Farm
Club Player

Geary was great. Hill another shocker and Ross needs to be dropped.
Jones started off like a house on fire & faded badly, same as last week. He needs to put in 4 solid quarters.
Steele was superb - hope he is our next captain.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I thought Ross started off ok and contributed but maybe not running enough. He looks slow when he’s in tight and there’s not enough aggression or strength or agility (or footy smarts to evade getting locked up in contests). We’ll see how Ratts rates him as the year unfolds and we’ll probably get an idea with the TB medal voting at the end of the year

Hill was a pass mark because some of his disposal by foot was superb but he didn’t work hard enough

You know what you’re gunna get with Gears - 100% effort and he’ll kamikaze himself for his team

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Not for mine.

Replace them with Bytel and Byrnes and give them the Captaincy and Vice Captaincy also.

I think based on Byrnes performance last night he should be given life membership already.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 3:39pm

Not for mine.

Replace them with Bytel and Byrnes and give them the Captaincy and Vice Captaincy also.

I think based on Byrnes performance last night he should be given life membership already.
lol. :wink:

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Hill is our best kick in the team by a mile.
Whenever he gets it, you know he's hitting a target. Hill will never rack up 30, in a real match he would get u 20-25. His numbers are down but so is the match time...
Hes a classy winger with a beautiful kick which is huge for us

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 3:39pm

Not for mine.

What did you think of Byrnes game, how did he look?

How about another young gun, King? What did you think of his contribution?

Were you watching?