The bus trip...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: The bus trip...

heat a factor? 22 degress and partly cloudy?
that is worrying.
the travel is much more a factor. i used to travel 3 hours to play a less arduous sport in soccer every fortnight. definitely harder to be at your best. we played in 20-30 degrees. heat never a factor, but you could feel sleepier on a sunny day after the long travel.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 8:38pm Gosh how do interstate teams travel every second week
Because they travel the day before

Whilst we had to get up early and travel that time in the morning

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Secret Kiel
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 1:45pm heat a factor? 22 degress and partly cloudy?
that is worrying.
the travel is much more a factor. i used to travel 3 hours to play a less arduous sport in soccer every fortnight. definitely harder to be at your best. we played in 20-30 degrees. heat never a factor, but you could feel sleepier on a sunny day after the long travel.
And the othet question I'm continually asking, is concentration a factor. The whacky game results for all teams seems to suggest so.

longtimesaint
Club Player

I think the two things of the much warmer conditions and @ three hour bus trip prior to the game definitely impacted on our lack of run after quarter time.
Freo has been there for 5 weeks and are not only acclimatised but in a routine in the hub, and only a 5 minute trip to the ground.
We would have been much better playing another Melbourne team and also scheduled at the Gabba which is a shorter bus trip.
We should request the AFL to schedule our future Queensland matches at the Gabba.

One year will be our year
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I am intrigued as to how we managed to stage a rally at the very end. Or was that luck?

The bus trip would definitely not have helped.

Missing very gettable goals in the second quarter really must have hurt too.

I know Freo missed three gettables themselves but that was after they were already stepping on our throats.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Teams flying in the same day as games earlier in the season had great success, even though some were saying it would give them no chance.

These are 20 year old elite athletes, not 60 year old couch potatoes.

Freo were 2 down for most of the game. The issue was most of our blokes didn’t want to go in as hard as Freo after quarter time because they thought it was in the bag.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Vazelos
Club Player

Its 20 year old athletes competing against 20 year year athletes we lost by a goal its a game of margins.
250 km (2 and a half hour) round trip against a 20 min trip work out if they had 5% of travel lag or tiredness.
At that elite level everything is a factor it was far from ideal I wouldn't know one pro club in any code in the world that would sign off on that deal.
Saying that we have a lack of leaders.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 2:42pm Teams flying in the same day as games earlier in the season had great success, even though some were saying it would give them no chance.

Freo were 2 down for most of the game. The issue was most of our blokes didn’t want to go in as hard as Freo after quarter time because they thought it was in the bag.
Give it up Dud.

Team Slogan for 2020 - adversity on wheels: the insurmountable ride

We’re totally f’d

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Vazelos wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 2:46pm Its 20 year old athletes competing against 20 year year athletes we lost by a goal its a game of margins.
250 km (2 and a half hour) round trip against a 20 min trip work out if they had 5% of travel lag or tiredness.
At that elite level everything is a factor it was far from ideal I wouldn't know one pro club in any code in the world that would sign off on that deal.
good point, those marginal things do become deciding factors

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 2:55pm
Vazelos wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 2:46pm Its 20 year old athletes competing against 20 year year athletes we lost by a goal its a game of margins.
good point, those marginal things do become deciding factors
Gee...
That's always something that irks me as a St Kilda fan.
We have a tacit arrangement/deal with the AFL that goes like:
We, the AFL, pay your debts
..and..
You, StKFC, will have crappy fixtures.

Shaggy
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 2:42pm Teams flying in the same day as games earlier in the season had great success, even though some were saying it would give them no chance.

Or maybe our side has been selected more for pace not stamina and typical of sprinters we run out of puff.

Ratts wants us to take the game on and we look great early but we do not have enough endurance beasts particularly with Dan out and Hill playing injured (my guess).

I am also guessing at least one of Phillips, McKenzie, Sinclair & Langlands will be selected this week because they have elite endurance to run for four quarters even if they are not elite footballers.

ace
Saintsational Legend

The bus trip to the ground was fine.
The bus trip back to Noosa must have been sheer hell with every player sitting in shame.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The AFL will probably house us at Victor Harbour for next weeks game. The training facilities down there are magnificent

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

If this was the case we'd all be doing it. If it was ideal Collingwood would be sent to Noosa and travel three hours game day.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What other tragedies could befall our wonderful club

I hear that the temp next week will be 22.5C instead of the preferred 24 degrees
Take 5 goals off for that

Of course they’re pbly using a different fabric softener on the jumpers instead of the extra fluffy stuff that the boys like... that’s 3 goals

Whilst commiserating the loss... they also had to mix mixed cola instead of proper Coca Cola with their spirits... tragedy

I’ve nominated the club for a hardship award... how could we alone overcome these challenges

All things considered, I predict a 15 goal loss

Groovy Guru
Club Player

Not giving excuses for the loss but this may explain the fade away a little bit ..

I consider myself an endurance athlete ... I run marathons and participate in Half ironmans (training for a full, hopefully next year now).

Last year off the back of a PB Melbourne mara 2018 and 2 half ironman's feb 2019 and April 2019 I thought I was in the best shape ever for the Gold Coast mara July 2019.

I was going really well for the first 21 km's looking at another PB and then within 3 km just fell apart. All my prep, hydration etc was the same as previous runs, just could not figure it out. The weather was not too hot .... it was raining so again really could not understand what went wrong.

I was talking to someone about it and they said the humidity gets you and even though your prep seems fine the body basically over compensates for the loss of fluid etc and shuts down.

If you have a look at the games this round, St Kilda and the GWS were the only teams that played a sides that been in the hub for 5 weeks QLD ... both lost ... both looked ordinary in stages of the game.

I would say those teams who have had a chance to acclimatise had a distinct advantage.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Groovy Guru wrote: Mon 13 Jul 2020 1:02pm ....... the humidity gets you and ....... the body basically over compensates for the loss of fluid etc and shuts down.
I don't get that.

with high humidity, why would you lose water?

wouldn't you hold more water as the atmosphere is so dense with water in it?

In dry heart, as we have down here, then yes, I suppose water loss would be critical.

I do remember Leigh Mathews having Brisbane on water drips though.

...ah ha....Got it!!!

Bingo!!
MR Groovy, you are definitely right.

Did some quick research!
Yep....sweat doesn't evaporate easily in high humidity, so you cannot release the heat, so your core heats up and your nervous system shuts down your performance!

Excellent point.

It is also a case-by case thing and ALSO it is crucially something that can require acclimaitization. (sp) We can get used to running in humidity but it takes time.
Perhaps Mr Hill is one of those not used to it.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 13 Jul 2020 2:27pm
Groovy Guru wrote: Mon 13 Jul 2020 1:02pm ....... the humidity gets you and ....... the body basically over compensates for the loss of fluid etc and shuts down.
I don't get that.

with high humidity, why would you lose water?

wouldn't you hold more water as the atmosphere is so dense with water in it?

In dry heart, as we have down here, then yes, I suppose water loss would be critical.

I do remember Leigh Mathews having Brisbane on water drips though.

...ah ha....Got it!!!

Bingo!!
MR Groovy, you are definitely right, but it is not the loss of water, it is the retention of water. we are both right, sort of.

Did some quick research!
Yep....sweat doesn't evaporate easily in high humidity, so you cannot release the heat, so your core heats up and your nervous system shuts down your performance!

Excellent point.

It is also a case-by case thing and ALSO it is crucially something that can require acclimaitization. (sp) We can get used to running in humidity but it takes time.
Perhaps Mr Hill is one of those not used to it.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

It isn’t humid at all up here in winter. Hardly gets humid in summer though peeps says it is. I lived in Cairns for 13 years where there is proper humidity.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

stevie wrote: Mon 13 Jul 2020 4:21pm It isn’t humid at all up here in winter. Hardly gets humid in summer though peeps says it is. I lived in Cairns for 13 years where there is proper humidity.
agreed Saturday was cool by any standard
It would have been a lovely drive down in the air-conditioned bus for those hot under the collar vics, out of the cool breeze in the bus
Officially it was @20 but felt like mid 19s - clearly if you were protected out of any breeze in the sun it was lovely
In the shade of the stands - perfect for footy
The club has been on the sunshine coast pre-season training when it is HOT
They know the conditions up there Better than most teams and dare i say it when they had the chance to "up-grade" to Noosa they jumped at it
Seriously how many whinging conspiracy theories can people come up with?

Seeya
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Nothing to do with heat, humidity or travel. Followed Plan A, then had to adapt to Plan B. Absolute fail. And may I stress they are very aware of Plan B,C ......

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Seriously if any player offered any of these excuses in the post match analysis they would be sent back to Melbourne. This is purely mental, an edge we now give to every team that we lead by 5 or more goals.

An edge that will only go away once we begin to win 2nd halves of football in the same fashion we begin games.