Should we trade Snake Carlisle at the end of the year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St.Roly
Club Player

Re: Should we trade Snake Carlisle at the end of the year?

Scollop wrote: Fri 03 Jul 2020 10:05pm No!!

There aren’t too many 198cm replacements out there. He reads the ball well and he generally makes good decisions and is elite by hand and foot

If we play finals this year and if we play finals next year he will be invaluable. He loves a challenge and he has regained his love for footy. I reckon if he is lucky enough to play in a grand final with St Kilda he might do a Brian Lake and win a Norm Smith
Whilst by no means offering any support for the suggestion of trading Jake, I would seriously question whether he can - in meaningful terms - be considered elite in his disposal.

Without taking the trouble to check, I have little doubt that his efficiency % could technically rank him this way. However, we have all witnessed that his most common form of kick is a dinky chip - often side ways. Unfortunately this has started to frustrate me a little and I am found holding my breath in anticipation of the occasional one that goes terribly wrong.

happy feet
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 03 Jul 2020 10:07pm Would you trade in your brain ...if you could

I reckon go for it
Hilarious, best response ever.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 1:22am
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Fri 03 Jul 2020 9:34pm My answer is it depends what we are offered. If we could get a pick in the early 20's I would say yes. This is also dependent on Austin getting his body right and playing at least 10 games this year.

If it works and we get pick 20, we take that and our first pick to the draft and grab one inside mid and one outside mid.

Thoughts?
What pick would it take to convince you to trade Austin? Serious question?
Nobody would trade for Austin because he hasn't played for 2 years.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

older saint wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 12:20pm No
Austin hasn't been able to secure a spot and the young kid drafted 2 years ago Claravino is either on a really slow burn, injury prone or a bust . Brown is in his 30's so NO
Logan Austin hasn't cemented his spot because of injury not because of lack of form. He is going to surprise a lot of people when he gets his chance. As I said previously, hopefully he plays 10 games this year and proves himself (which I believe he will), and then we will know if we can trade Carlisle or not.

With Carlisle's pick plus our own FRDP we could grab 2 young gun mids or move up in the draft. It puts us in a strong position to get what we want as in a specific player.

It all depends on Austin's form when he comes in though. Like I said, it is a strategic/gamble that I reckon would be worth taking. High risk high reward.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 11:31am
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Fri 03 Jul 2020 9:34pm My answer is it depends what we are offered. If we could get a pick in the early 20's I would say yes. This is also dependent on Austin getting his body right and playing at least 10 games this year.

If it works and we get pick 20, we take that and our first pick to the draft and grab one inside mid and one outside mid.

Thoughts?
a pick in the 20s and you say yes???
Wow..so we can pick up a Hugh Goddard?

I mean....picks in the 20s are a raffle. Carlisle is a gun. What do you want, the gun or the raffle ticket?
Who said we are going to pick a Hugh Goddard?

We may decide to package up pick 20 and our FRDP to move up the draft order. Or, we may decide to trade and grab a specific type. Having another pick would give us more options. Provided Austin is over his injuries and has played 10 games to prove himself this year. If he does then we have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 4:29pm
Austin hasn't been able to secure a spot and the young kid drafted 2 years ago Claravino is either on a really slow burn, injury prone or a bust . Brown is in his 30's so NO
Logan Austin hasn't cemented his spot because of injury not because of lack of form. He is going to surprise a lot of people when he gets his chance. As I said previously, hopefully he plays 10 games this year and proves himself (which I believe he will), and then we will know if we can trade Carlisle or not.

With Carlisle's pick plus our own FRDP we could grab 2 young gun mids or move up in the draft. It puts us in a strong position to get what we want as in a specific player.

It all depends on Austin's form when he comes in though. Like I said, it is a strategic/gamble that I reckon would be worth taking. High risk high reward.
We already have two young gun mids.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 5:49pm

If that's the case then we can trade up the draft order then.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 6:03pm
saynta wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 5:49pm

If that's the case then we can trade up the draft order then.
Don't give up do you?
I for one hope Logan comes on. Good Canberra boy.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

One of the problems with having draft picks this year is that the under 18s aren't playing so everyone will be going on last year's form, which is not always an accurate representation of that same player 12 months later.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

The question is who is going to give #15-20 for a 29 year old who has had some issues over the journey,
Good player and happy to retain him until the duration of his career.

The Howard / Carslile partnering is looking pretty good at the moment, no necessity to change.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 11:09pm The question is who is going to give #15-20 for a 29 year old who has had some issues over the journey,

The Howard / Carslile partnering is looking pretty good at the moment, no necessity to change.
Might be part of a trade for Ben King?

Not sure how we will ever manage to pull that trade off but I'm hearing he's very happy and he's going to honour his GC contract.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 1:04am With pick 15 and our own pick (10ish), we could recruit 2 young gun mids or maybe trade for De Goey.
De Goey? He is now alleged to have committed indecent assault. I know he is supposed to be a good player but what player would make way for De Goey in our current side (assuming everyone is fit)?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
ace
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 05 Jul 2020 12:13am
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 11:09pm The question is who is going to give #15-20 for a 29 year old who has had some issues over the journey,

Not sure how we will ever manage to pull that trade off but I'm hearing he's very happy and he's going to honour his GC contract.
The AFL paid both Ben King and Jack Lukosius a mint to stay as ambassadors for Gold Coast.
Big money, AFL money, and not included in the salary cap.
Until that offer both were refusing to sign contract extensions past the initial 2 years.
Ben would have been ours in 2021.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Special
Club Player

Nice try Helen

Crossy66
Club Player

ace wrote: Sun 05 Jul 2020 12:44am

The AFL paid both Ben King and Jack Lukosius a mint to stay as ambassadors for Gold Coast.
Big money, AFL money, and not included in the salary cap.
Until that offer both were refusing to sign contract extensions past the initial 2 years.
Ben would have been ours in 2021.
True. Was coming back until afl stepped in. Apparently very happy and more likely to stay than return for the foreseeable future. Thanks AFL

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Yep, spoke to a family member recently and both boys are very happy where they are.
Nothing imminent, IMO it will take two first round picks to pry either player to join his brother.
The longer they play apart the less important it will be for them to play together.
You wonder if GC aren't regretting not taking both brothers when they had the chance.
You salivate at a Ben and Max combo in the saints forward line.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Special wrote: Sun 05 Jul 2020 3:52am Nice try Helen
I wasn't trying anything. I just put a proposal forward for discussion.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

The reason I was looking at Carlisle for a trade is
because Geelong might be desperate because it
Is almost certain that Harry Taylor will retire at
the end of this year. Particularly if they don’t win
the flag this year. As a result they may pay us overs
On a 29 year old who we can replace with Logan
Austin. Make no mistake, Austin is a very very good
player and he will prove it now that he is over his
injuries.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020 12:10am The reason I was looking at Carlisle for a trade is
because Geelong might be desperate because it
Is almost certain that Harry Taylor will retire at
the end of this year. Particularly if they don’t win
the flag this year. As a result they may pay us overs
On a 29 year old who we can replace with Logan
Austin. Make no mistake, Austin is a very very good
player and he will prove it now that he is over his
injuries.
And Harry Taylor is a centre half back. Why would we give away our perfectly good centre half back to a side who will probably win a fourth Grand Final this season for a player we don't need? Carlisle can play very good football for us in a key defensive position for years to come.
Have seen no evidence Austin can become the player Carlisle already is. Enough sophistry, time for the club to play on with the players we have.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we do whatever it takes to get Ben King in.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....