Match Thread Saints v Pies Round 3 2020

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cordz2
Club Player

Re: Match Thread Saints v Pies Round 3 2020

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 9:03pm Let's not kid ourselves -
in the first four games of this block of games we play:
The 2016 Premier
The 2018 Grand Finalist (and very unlucky not to be 2018 Premier - let's be honest)
The 2017 and 2019 Premier (who won the GF by 15 goals)
Carlton

If we beat Carlton in a couple of weeks we will be doing well; shame we couldn't have grubbed a win over North back in March, but we didn't. We could have been 3/2 our way.

11 list changes, none of whom have been able to train together properly since March. We don't have a settled line up yet.

I think we need to turn over the list next week, bring in JWeb and give Battle a run at CHB.

Reckon Gresh could have a week off next week. Needs to get his head back in the game. Maybe due to his injury he is still recovering from.

Not really surprised but disappointed we went nearly a whole half in perfect conditions without kicking a goal.

I think we'll perform better against Richmond in the Maddy match as we'll be more up for it - plus I think we generally play well against Richmond at Docklands anyway.
Great point I didn’t expect a consistent powerful unit from a team that never played together. Collingwood were unbelievably hard at the ball in the first half and we had no space. It would’ve been very hard to play against Collingwood tonight. I thought we did well to stop at being 100 points. The boys are getting used to learning who stands up at different stages and who needs to stand up at different stages when things get tough. We used to rely on Lenny and Goddard.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 8:03pm
Five. .
We played Sunday, then Saturday. So that is 6 day break. 6 days is more than adequate to play ok and we were just insipid.

Mentally we just did not turn up..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 9:06pm
CURLY wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 8:02pm

Umpires poor but as expected when you play the AFLs flag ship.
We got more free kicks than them.
I had the same issue this game as last time we played Collingwood - Grundy can maul anyone in the ruck/marking contests and the Umpires turn a blind eye. At one stage he had hold of King's jumper and was dragging him down while he rucked at a boundary throw in.

That being said - I think they umpired poorly - but similar for each side. There were a few howlers that we notice - but also a few that Collingwood fans would also find baffling.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
ace
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 7:52pm Hannabery - what a steal!
He and his manager should be up for grand larceny.
Went missing for long periods and when he appeared be turned it over.
Very disappointed.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 9:15pm
Five. .
We played Sunday, then Saturday. So that is 6 day break. 6 days is more than adequate to play ok and we were just insipid.

We had 5. Just as Ed Maguire said a few weeks ago the AFL have to be careful with five day breaks. Second game we get five they got 8. Ridiculous advantage off a 3 week pre season.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
ace
Saintsational Legend

Coffield's real name is Coffup.
He fubbled and made many mistakes.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Laurie
Club Player

Did Billings play today?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Laurie wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 9:33pm Did Billings play today?
Was ok. Was put deep and had Howe which wasn’t ideal.

ace
Saintsational Legend

seano1 wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 7:26pm Seb was handy at the coin toss
Did he win that contest ?

Laurie
Club Player

Heard Howe mentioned and must of gone well however do not recall Billings being mentioned in the call.
Billings is so hot and cold.
A bit of a front runner i think

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Laurie wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 9:39pm Heard Howe mentioned and must of gone well however do not recall Billings being mentioned in the call.
Billings is so hot and cold.
A bit of a front runner i think

He had a tag then sent deep got Howe and the ball didn’t come in. Lonie and Gresham burnt him for easy goals.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 9:25pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 7:52pm Hannabery - what a steal!
He and his manager should be up for grand larceny.
Went missing for long periods and when he appeared be turned it over.
Very disappointed.

Yep to the post above... incredible wage for output.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 9:26pm
Five. .

We had 5. Just as Ed Maguire said a few weeks ago the AFL have to be careful with five day breaks. Second game we get five they got 8. Ridiculous advantage off a 3 week pre season.
You are reinventing things. So according to you if a team plays every Saturday they would have a 6 day break every week. This simply is not how 6 day breaks are defined.

If you play on a Sunday, and you next game is a Saturday that is ample time to be ok for the next game.

The problem with our team today was in their heads (plus the quality of the opposition), and not the state of their bodies.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 11:15pm
Five. .

You are reinventing things. So according to you if a team plays every Saturday they would have a 6 day break every week. This simply is not how 6 day breaks are defined.

If you play on a Sunday, and you next game is a Saturday that is ample time to be ok for the next game.

The problem with our team today was in their heads (plus the quality of the opposition), and not the state of their bodies.
Haha. I had the same argument with him at the start of the week SR. Curly seems to think that Sunday to Saturday equates to 5 days. He won't be convinced. :lol:

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 11:25pm
Five. .

Haha. I had the same argument with him at the start of the week SR. Curly seems to think that Sunday to Saturday equates to 5 days. He won't be convinced. :lol:

It’s five days of preparation and recovery. Either way call it 6 Collingwood had 9 then not 8.

It’s a massive advantage. Given how short the preparation was before we played again it’s to bigger advantage

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 11:42pm
Moods wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 11:25pm
Five. .

It’s five days of preparation and recovery. Either way call it 6 Collingwood had 9 then not 8.

It’s a massive advantage. Given how short the preparation was before we played again it’s to bigger advantage
We could have had 12 days and it wouldn't have helped. They dominated us in every aspect and we looked mentally shocked. We lost because we weren't good enough. Bottom line.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
lefty
Club Player

I don't understand why Hill is getting the ball in the backline and then struggling to find a player to kick to. Why isn't he on the wing, so when the defenders get it, they have somewhere to kick to? Are we out of position? Why is a winger getting the ball in the backline instead of receiving it on the wing?

I have 0 faith in Gresham to kick a set shot. He lacks distance in his kicking and he seems only comfortable to kick around the corner of his body.

Our midfield was shocking today, hannebury did nothing, I don't think I saw Seb Ross at all, you know it's going bad when we have to try membery in there. Would of been better off with Dunstan in there.

Hunter Clarke played well, along with Butler. Steele had a decent crack, loved the tackle on adams

Cordz2
Club Player

lefty wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 11:48pm I don't understand why Hill is getting the ball in the backline and then struggling to find a player to kick to. Why isn't he on the wing, so when the defenders get it, they have somewhere to kick to? Are we out of position? Why is a winger getting the ball in the backline instead of receiving it on the wing?

I have 0 faith in Gresham to kick a set shot. He lacks distance in his kicking and he seems only comfortable to kick around the corner of his body.

Our midfield was shocking today, hannebury did nothing, I don't think I saw Seb Ross at all, you know it's going bad when we have to try membery in there. Would of been better off with Dunstan in there.

Hunter Clarke played well, along with Butler. Steele had a decent crack, loved the tackle on adams
I think we needed Dunstan today - definitely lacked some grunt in the middle.

Crossy66
Club Player

First big test for Ratten this week, needs to make a statement. Does he hold players accountable or keep playing favourites. On tonight's performance you could drop a dozen players .
Ins for next week have to be Battle, webster, Dunny, Gears if fit.
Our midfield performance was insipid. Collingwood walked through our mids with no pressure, no tackling. Take your pick for outs but I would start with Ross, Coffield, Ryder with hannas on notice and Gresham told to sort out his rubbish kicking.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Ross needs to be dropped. Gresh could do with a holiday as well.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

If it wasn't hard enough coming up against a hardened well established team on their home deck and then throw in 3 days less to prepare ...... seems to me a few supporters are getting well ahead of themselves.

Yes we were very poor, it was a error riddled, lame arse effort - so lame you would be hard pressed to find a St Kilda player to be in front of 12 Collingwood players that said I am very certain this game going forward will hold us in good stead.

What we saw today was a St Kilda team that are still finding their feet - we improved slightly in the 2nd half in the fact that we were somewhat competitive but alas the Filthpie had flown.

You want to beat the best (top 4) well Collingwood showed us the standard pressure and commitment you have to bring and i am entirely certain that when we play Pies next the game/result will be a lot closer

Also it is very obvious we are still short one gun attacking bull mid as - a freak forward would be nice as well

Onto next week we have the Tigers also coming off a 9 day break but at least we have 7 - so standard week for us

For sure there will likely be changes .... but don't despair! :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Crossy66
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020 12:51am If it wasn't hard enough coming up against a hardened well established team on their home deck and then throw in 3 days less to prepare ...... seems to me a few supporters are getting well ahead of themselves.

Yes we were very poor, it was a error riddled, lame arse effort - so lame you would be hard pressed to find a St Kilda player to be in front of 12 Collingwood players that said I am very certain this game going forward will hold us in good stead.

What we saw today was a St Kilda team that are still finding their feet - we improved slightly in the 2nd half in the fact that we were somewhat competitive but alas the Filthpie had flown.

You want to beat the best (top 4) well Collingwood showed us the standard pressure and commitment you have to bring and i am entirely certain that when we play Pies next the game/result will be a lot closer

Also it is very obvious we are still short one gun attacking bull mid as - a freak forward would be nice as well

Onto next week we have the Tigers also coming off a 9 day break but at least we have 7 - so standard week for us

I dont despair that we lost, in fact I didnt expect us to win. I dont expect us to win next week either . But I do expect us to show more grit than tonight. Pressure acts, tackling, chasing, putting your body on the line are more an attitude than skill related. To me, this is Ratts "dalSanto/ milne" moment where he makes a statement as to what standards he is willing to except. A week ago we were talking about our riches of depth. Time to find out who wants a spot, who wants to lead.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020 12:51am If it wasn't hard enough coming up against a hardened well established team on their home deck and then throw in 3 days less to prepare ...... seems to me a few supporters are getting well ahead of themselves.

After the first minute of the second half we didn't kick another goal. I tend to agree with you in that I think we played a very good opponent today and lost fair and square, and that we could turn this around quickly, but to say we improved slightly in the second half slightly is a bit inaccurate.
Collingwood slowed the tempo of the game, and we were rendered completely useless. Didn't look like kicking a goal at all after that. But that is this week.

I agree that next week will be completely different.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 9:38pm
seano1 wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 7:26pm Seb was handy at the coin toss
Did he win that contest ?
No :oops: