What a f######g loser

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

What a f######g loser

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainm ... 0c1bf332d6

"Former St Kilda president Rod Butterss has dropped a bombshell from his addiction days, revealing how he blew $9 million a year for a decade on his vices. The former high flyer also admitted why his second marriage only lasted four months.

Former St Kilda president Rod Butterss has admitted he blew roughly $90 million over a decade.

Butterss, who is now 11 years clean from drug and alcohol addiction, says his marriage to Susie McLean only lasted four months in 2009 because of his addictions.

He revealed the alcohol bill at their Sydney wedding was $96,000.

Butterss was speaking to Mike Sheahan, Sam Newman and Don Scott on their You Cannot Be Serious podcast.

“Did you blow $90 million in three years?’’ Sheahan asked.

Butterss replied: “10 years, let’s be fair. Women, race horses and I wasted the rest. I don’t know the exact number. It was in that order, yes.”

Butterss said he was married to former Real Housewives of Melbourne star McLean in February and it was done by July.

“She told me what she thought of me. It wasn’t my greatest achievement, I probably wasn’t in my best fighting shape,’’ Butterss said.

Butterss said he was shocked by the alcohol bill, at The Ivy in Sydney, for his second marriage.

“They rang me in the morning. I was in bed at 10 o’clock and they said would you please come down and pay the grog bill,’’ he said.

“I said no, I’m in bed, I’m comatose, I can’t move. They said, we’re a bit anxious, I said, you’re anxious, how do you think I feel.

“I went down and paid it.”

He also recalled how McLean’s mother, caught him doing drugs.

“My mother-in-law walked in on me. She was a very prudish Italian woman. She said, what are you doing, I said, I’m making scones. That’s all I could think of.

“But they were the old days, I don’t do that anymore.”

Butterss has previously detailed the extent of his addictions and a rock bottom moment later in 2009 when he considered ending his life two years after he left St Kilda.

“I was a basket full of mental health problems (but) I got lucky,’’ he said.

“I went to my first AA meeting thinking I was an alcoholic and indeed I was. It took me a long time to work that out.

“One hour later, I walked out a sex addict, a drug addict, an alcoholic and a gambler. I thought, s---, I’ve got a job in front of me here.

“I’d made a fatal mistake of when I was in the gig at the Saints, when I was president, I had allowed that role to become my identity and when that role was taken from me I didn’t have an identity.

“So when you get lost like that you want to feel different and the easiest way to feel different or better is to have a drink or a drug. So that’s what I did.”

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: What a f######g loser

saynta wrote: Fri 22 May 2020 3:22pm https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainm ... 0c1bf332d6

"Former St Kilda president Rod Butterss has dropped a bombshell from his addiction days, revealing how he blew $9 million a year for a decade on his vices. The former high flyer also admitted why his second marriage only lasted four months.

Former St Kilda president Rod Butterss has admitted he blew roughly $90 million over a decade.

Butterss, who is now 11 years clean from drug and alcohol addiction, says his marriage to Susie McLean only lasted four months in 2009 because of his addictions.

Butterss was speaking to Mike Sheahan, Sam Newman and Don Scott on their You Cannot Be Serious podcast.

Butterss replied: “10 years, let’s be fair. Women, race horses and I wasted the rest. I don’t know the exact number. It was in that order, yes.”

Butterss said he was married to former Real Housewives of Melbourne star McLean in February and it was done by July.

“She told me what she thought of me. It wasn’t my greatest achievement, I probably wasn’t in my best fighting shape,’’ Butterss said.

Butterss said he was shocked by the alcohol bill, at The Ivy in Sydney, for his second marriage.

“They rang me in the morning. I was in bed at 10 o’clock and they said would you please come down and pay the grog bill,’’ he said.

“I said no, I’m in bed, I’m comatose, I can’t move. They said, we’re a bit anxious, I said, you’re anxious, how do you think I feel.

“My mother-in-law walked in on me. She was a very prudish Italian woman. She said, what are you doing, I said, I’m making scones. That’s all I could think of.

Butterss has previously detailed the extent of his addictions and a rock bottom moment later in 2009 when he considered ending his life two years after he left St Kilda.

“I went to my first AA meeting thinking I was an alcoholic and indeed I was. It took me a long time to work that out.

“One hour later, I walked out a sex addict, a drug addict, an alcoholic and a gambler. I thought, s---, I’ve got a job in front of me here.

“I’d made a fatal mistake of when I was in the gig at the Saints, when I was president, I had allowed that role to become my identity and when that role was taken from me I didn’t have an identity.

“So when you get lost like that you want to feel different and the easiest way to feel different or better is to have a drink or a drug. So that’s what I did.”
Couldn't agree more!

I remember writing on here years ago about a night where he openly did drugs in the rest room when at Fidels at Crown in front of Sponsors, many people brought me to task on the accuracy of the information but I have known the people who witnessed this for 25 years.

As a President Club Member I used to attend the functions each home game and remember him stop attending with his wife and commence with Ms McLean in tow.

Also just went by the term "The President", anyone spending anytime with him knew he was off the rails.

Even stranger is people on here who believe he was clean when he took over the presidency and GT took a moral strand against him and that's why they fell out.They fell out over money and GT felt he was in a powerful enough position that he no longer needed Butterrs support, hell his nepotism had got him the job but he wasn't needed anymore.

What a disaster for our club and wasted opportunity having Butterrs & Thomas at the reins of our club.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

"How Butterss blew $90 million in ten years."

The only surprising thing to me is how he got $90 million in the first place (assuming it was his money). He was not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

I still say BUTTHEAD sacking THOMAS cost St Kilda 3 premierships!!!!!!

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Gee imagine if he donated 10% of that stash on the Saints instead? $9M would’ve been very handy.

He still could’ve blown his head off and done all
That shyte whilst at the same time injecting much needed cash into our club.

$9M per annum for a decade sounds pretty far fetched to
me - then again, his house on the beach was probably worth $20M

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

How did he make all his money in the first place?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Fri 22 May 2020 4:34pm I still say BUTTHEAD sacking THOMAS cost St Kilda 3 premierships!!!!!!
3 premierships were certainly lost plus a million dollars, but that was because of Blight & GT's appointments. We got what we deserved with GT's sacking, thanks Rod, if you'd been sober he would not have been appointed. Glad you had fun.

Special
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 22 May 2020 6:51pm
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Fri 22 May 2020 4:34pm I still say BUTTHEAD sacking THOMAS cost St Kilda 3 premierships!!!!!!
3 premierships were certainly lost plus a million dollars, but that was because of Blight & GT's appointments. We got what we deserved with GT's sacking, thanks Rod, if you'd been sober he would not have been appointed. Glad you had fun.
Blight helped land us Sammy & The Train.

saint6709
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Fri 22 May 2020 5:39pm How did he make all his money in the first place?
good question

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote: Fri 22 May 2020 7:26pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 22 May 2020 5:39pm How did he make all his money in the first place?
good question
Have a look at wikipedia.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one Nick, almost pissed my pants laughing at that one.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Sounded like he had a good time.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Was he that bad a president?

Better than Westaway... recruited Ross Lyon too.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 22 May 2020 3:22pm https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainm ... 0c1bf332d6

In reference to your thread heading; why are you so judgemental?

Are you judging him on his alcohol and drug use?

Special
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Fri 22 May 2020 9:06pm Sounded like he had a good time.
He’s the Aussie version of Wolf of Wall Street.

He did host a few parties at his Brighton mansion that quite a few Saints players attended. I know that for fact!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Special wrote: Sat 23 May 2020 9:54pm

He did host a few parties at his Brighton mansion that quite a few Saints players attended. I know that for fact!
i'm starting to admire the guy

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 23 May 2020 8:23pm

In reference to your thread heading; why are you so judgemental?

Are you judging him on his alcohol and drug use?
You're kidding me, aren't you? :roll:

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i reckon the general consensus would be
that most of us are ‘addicts’
(of one sort or another)

the nature of the Beast

•••

we start down that wallaby track
by manipulating our parents or care givers
to have our (self surmised)* needs met

then
growing into the adult children we are today
(still) manipulating our way

relative to our held existential ‘fog of fears’,
obviously.

imo fwtw

obviously.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I can see the Beavis and Butthead narrative is tempting and fuNny, but I think it was a ballsy move (some will say nepotistic inside job) to appoint Thomas, and that Thomas did really well getting a bunch of talented youngsters molded into a cogent and powerful group whilst holding in line an older generation of players of players who had played under various different coaches, for a few years. It was a renaissance of sorts, that had mor power then the Seldon/Alves ones.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

What an utter piece of crap and what a slap in the face to people suffering from real mental health problems. Poor multi millionaire and his 'sex addiction' problems. I'm weeping.

Clown world.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

the minor addictions usually
lead back to a Sex and Love Addiction

it is a ‘real mental issue’
also a physical ‘n spiritual issue
but lets not muddy the waters

addictive mental re-actions to catalyst
are just that

a response to catalyst
is way different to a re-action to catalyst

one from a healthy mind
the other from a minds clown

(and that mind , is not the clowns friend)

asiu
Saintsational Legend

thinking music ?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

This is all a bit harsh. So arbitrary who gets cast as an effing loser, who the victim. Privilege is no protection from madness or addiction - the opposite if anything. Maybe focus on the fact that he's been clean so long. I don't think he had bad intentions towards the club. I think he did his best given the situation he was in. I don't know which of us has tried harder than him to put our club on the right track.

Special
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Sun 24 May 2020 1:04am
Special wrote: Sat 23 May 2020 9:54pm

i'm starting to admire the guy
Yeah it seems like he had a lot of fun and wasn’t a snakey drug lord or underworld figure so pretty harmless junkie.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Some of you guts would defend Jack the Ripper if he had some connection to the Saints.