Now this is funny .....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Now this is funny .....

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... a8d74e9116

Former footballer and AFL coach Grant Thomas has said clubs need to be more diligent when appointing a head coach, saying those who have only been around footy their whole lives are not be prepared for such a job, leading to problems later in life.

Thomas’ comments come after former West Coast and North Melbourne star turned Kangaroos coach Dean Laidley was arrested outside a St Kilda home on the weekend. He is facing stalking and other charges.

I guess you are lucky that your drug addict best mate and the farce of a selection panel chose nepotism over due diligence when appointing a coach for the 2001 season or you wouldn't have got an opportunity as a senior coach.

It was nice how you paid back Jim Watts loyalty and nepotism by trading our first round pick to Adelaide for his son and his one match at the club, at least it was a marginally better trade than Lovett deal.

How does Thomas pluck out the Laidley issue and generalise around Laidleys background being at the heart of the issue. I personally believe the disciplines of elite sport (whichever sport) and comradeship of a sporting set you up as a disciplined individual & creates life long friendships.

Then again if you have serious mental health issues it doesn't matter the environment, you are who you are unless you seek professional help. I cannot comment on Laidley as I have no clue and I'll bet old peanut butter and jam sandwiches has little idea either.

Enjoy!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Now this is funny .....

that purple font did my eyes in

BarryGrogan
Club Player

I completely agree with him FWIW.

The footy industry has always held itself back due its incestuous nature.

The long held ignorant belief that you must have played at the highest level to be involved in a meaningful role is just the start of it.

I totally agree with Thomas' view. I meam seriously, why are people shocked when these blokes crumble and melt in the real world after the AFL world discards them and the system no longer supports them and blows smoke up their arse?

U.S. sports CLEARLY make us look so foolish and amateurish in this regard.

HarryM
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 09 May 2020 6:53pm I completely agree with him FWIW.

The long held ignorant belief that you must have played at the highest level to be involved in a meaningful role is just the start of it.

I totally agree with Thomas' view. I meam seriously, why are people shocked when these blokes crumble and melt in the real world after the AFL world discards them and the system no longer supports them and blows smoke up their arse?

Agree.

When they stopped propping Laidley up he couldn't deal with reality.

Grant is right on the money :D

BarryGrogan
Club Player

HarryM wrote: Sat 09 May 2020 7:12pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 09 May 2020 6:53pm I completely agree with him FWIW.

Agree.

When they stopped propping Laidley up he couldn't deal with reality.

Grant is right on the money :D

It's not just Laidley, obviously.

In my opinion, the biggest issue with the industry in terms of welfare, is the culture of drinking your own bathwater.

A lot of these guys have been treated like Gods since they were teenagers, and in many cases are literally above the law.

Act like a drunken arsehole on a Saturday night whilst you're in the AFL system - you're a hero and untouchable.

Do it after a year or so after you're out ot it - you're just like the rest of us.

This reality check is too much for many of them.