Whispers In The Sky - Well, well, well

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Whispers In The Sky - Well, well, well

saynta wrote: Sun 26 Apr 2020 12:11pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 26 Apr 2020 10:25am The game plan cost us in both 2009 and 2010

The players did as instructed. They kicked it long to the hot spot. We smashed them with dozens more inside 50’s but it was all the players fault for not being perfect...How dare they miss. Apparently...According to RL...we should have kicked 18 goals straight on a wet day

On a wet day and against the smartest defence in the competition, we just did the predictable and kept bombing it in long. We should have iced the game in the third and fourth quarters but we couldn’t score due to Geelong defenders knowing what was coming and how to defend. Double team Kossie or Roo and even when the ball was kicked to Milne, he’s not going to outmark anyone like Mackie or Enright is he?

I watched the 2009 game last week and I was surprised to see that we were two goals down half way through the second quarter. A scrappy goal to Kossie off the deck a few metres from goal and a subsequent free in the goal square for demonstratively disputing the goal umpire’s call ( the free was paid against Milburn) had us back in front before the half time siren

After the howler by the goal umpire awarding a goal to Hawkins, the umps were trying to even things up and I reckon we had most of the 50/50 decisions....up until the last 5-10 minutes when Milne was clearly held onto by the jumper and the cheating scum sucker of a white maggot did not pay the free!! I doubt Milney would have made the distance from 40-45 out with a wet heavy footy...but you never know

We were ferocious at the contest. We put pressure on ball carrier and most likely receivers. We went the boundaries at every opportunity and we bombed it to the hot spot when we were forward of the centre...so maybe if the game plan had an element of surprise with our i50 entries or plan B or plan C with scoring some goals, we might have had a different result
What about the non free when Schneider had his jumper pulled over his head?
The four man tag team on Roo all day no free Ablett slightly touched free directly in front.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Freebird
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Sun 26 Apr 2020 2:13pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 26 Apr 2020 10:25am The game plan cost us in both 2009 and 2010

The players did as instructed. They kicked it long to the hot spot. We smashed them with dozens more inside 50’s but it was all the players fault for not being perfect...How dare they miss. Apparently...According to RL...we should have kicked 18 goals straight on a wet day

On a wet day and against the smartest defence in the competition, we just did the predictable and kept bombing it in long. We should have iced the game in the third and fourth quarters but we couldn’t score due to Geelong defenders knowing what was coming and how to defend. Double team Kossie or Roo and even when the ball was kicked to Milne, he’s not going to outmark anyone like Mackie or Enright is he?

I watched the 2009 game last week and I was surprised to see that we were two goals down half way through the second quarter. A scrappy goal to Kossie off the deck a few metres from goal and a subsequent free in the goal square for demonstratively disputing the goal umpire’s call ( the free was paid against Milburn) had us back in front before the half time siren

After the howler by the goal umpire awarding a goal to Hawkins, the umps were trying to even things up and I reckon we had most of the 50/50 decisions....up until the last 5-10 minutes when Milne was clearly held onto by the jumper and the cheating scum sucker of a white maggot did not pay the free!! I doubt Milney would have made the distance from 40-45 out with a wet heavy footy...but you never know

We were ferocious at the contest. We put pressure on ball carrier and most likely receivers. We went the boundaries at every opportunity and we bombed it to the hot spot when we were forward of the centre...so maybe if the game plan had an element of surprise with our i50 entries or plan B or plan C with scoring some goals, we might have had a different result
The four man tag team on Roo all day no free Ablett slightly touched free directly in front.
I was at the game with my family and pointed out to my brother Ablett moved deep into forward line to win a free...even before the ball was in the area he was pushing Gilbert and when gilbert pushed back Ablett would throw his head back. We watched as this happened several times behind play then when the ball was kicked into his area he won the free in from of goal...what a free it was and what an advantage to have such a player to send forward to win such a free. I was so pissed off as I watched it develop in front of me.
I knew what was going to happen before it happened and so did ablett

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote: Sun 26 Apr 2020 3:51pm

I was at the game with my family and pointed out to my brother Ablett moved deep into forward line to win a free...even before the ball was in the area he was pushing Gilbert and when gilbert pushed back Ablett would throw his head back. We watched as this happened several times behind play then when the ball was kicked into his area he won the free in from of goal...what a free it was and what an advantage to have such a player to send forward to win such a free. I was so pissed off as I watched it develop in front of me.
There will be the usual few arguing that was a free as Gilbert made contact as they both led at the ball. Well if that was a free Roo should have received 10 or more. Taylor bodying Scarlett holding Harley and Milburn no eyes for the ball just charging him.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote: Sun 26 Apr 2020 3:51pm

As big an arsehole, on the footy ground at least, as his killer father.

damienc
Club Player

It's pretty simple. We were robbed.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Tue 28 Apr 2020 2:28pm It's pretty simple. We were robbed.
Rubbish. Poor goal kicking cost us the game.

We absolutely dominated the third term and the game should’ve been won at three quarter time.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Effing Dimsim the sleazy slimeball CEO. He makes Gilligan look like a god in comparison.

I guess like all snake oil salesmen, Dinwit was found out during the Essendope scandal - another hatchet job - and was forced to step down.

I have full respect for GT for telling it how it is. Sadly he was sacked also from SEN for not being compliant.

Kudos to Tony Jones for speaking up about the maggots on the plane - I bet if that happened now (once we start flying again of course!) the journos would be silent and just report it to the AFL and not go public.

The media is soft now - apart from some oldies like Caro

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Wed 29 Apr 2020 8:49am
Plus that arsehole coach we had at the time.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

No doubt it hurt us that the umps had no time for milne or schneider. the latter had an obvious lay down misere free heading into goal in the last quarter of the gf. And for an idea of how ridiculous it got against milne look at the last minute of our rnd 14 game. somehow found a way to not only not give milne the free, but reverse it to keep geelong in the game.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 29 Apr 2020 11:29am
saintspremiers wrote: Wed 29 Apr 2020 8:49am
Plus that arsehole coach we had at the time.
He Balls’d up 2009 and 2010 - quite literally!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Just looking back at the stats from late 2005 and holy hell injuries cost us badly. Just look at the team that we fielded in round 19

B: Hudghton, Penny, Voss
HB: Jones, Maguire, Fisher
C: Dal Santo, Hayes, Harvey
HF: Hamill, Riewoldt, Montagna
F: Milne, Gehrig, Guerra

Foll: Koschitzke, Ball, Baker
Int: Blake, Peckett, Powell, Thompson

Only BJ is missing as far as I can tell. This was before he really hit his straps anyway - may not even replace any of those 22 if available. This might be the best saints 22 to take the field in my lifetime. Kosi was on fire as well.

Then our prelim side against Sydney

B: R.Clarke, Hudghton, Voss
HB: Jones, Maguire, Goddard
HF: Montagna, Riewoldt, Powell

Foll: Ackland, Ball, Baker
Int: Blake, Fiora, Gwilt, Thompson

OUT: Koschitzke, Hamill, Penny, Fisher, Peckett
IN: Ackland, Gwilt, R.Clarke, Goddard, Fiora

No way would we have rolled over in the last quarter with that round 19 team playing. Having Penny, Hudghton, Maguire, Fisher, Peckett and Voss as a defensive unit to stop Hall, O'Loughlin, O'Keefe, Schneider, Davis and Buchanan would have been the difference. Could definitely count on us kicking a few more with Kosi and Hamill in the team rather than Ackland and Gwilt too.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Thu 30 Apr 2020 3:28am Just looking back at the stats from late 2005 and holy hell injuries cost us badly. Just look at the team that we fielded in round 19

Only BJ is missing as far as I can tell. This was before he really hit his straps anyway - may not even replace any of those 22 if available. This might be the best saints 22 to take the field in my lifetime. Kosi was on fire as well.

No way would we have rolled over in the last quarter with that round 19 team playing. Having Penny, Hudghton, Maguire, Fisher, Peckett and Voss as a defensive unit to stop Hall, O'Loughlin, O'Keefe, Schneider, Davis and Buchanan would have been the difference. Could definitely count on us kicking a few more with Kosi and Hamill in the team rather than Ackland and Gwilt too.
Great post...

But if you ask Teflon or Joffa it was fat Grant who cost us a chance at glory in 2005...mainly because he couldn’t coach and it had little to do with any of the injuries.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 30 Apr 2020 1:46pm
mad saint guy wrote: Thu 30 Apr 2020 3:28am Just looking back at the stats from late 2005 and holy hell injuries cost us badly. Just look at the team that we fielded in round 19

Great post...

But if you ask Teflon or Joffa it was fat Grant who cost us a chance at glory in 2005...mainly because he couldn’t coach and it had little to do with any of the injuries.
Injuries and availability of players has hurt a lot of coaches. I reckon Richo would still be coaching if he had a lot of luck with injuries.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 30 Apr 2020 1:46pm

Great post...

Seriously?
I was a supporter of GT's but his biggest single failing as a coach (IMHO) was in not getting 'Training Services' under control. From the moment he took over as coach until the day he was sacked we had an extraordinary run of injuries compared with most other clubs.
GT needed to take responsibility for that.
He micro-managed every aspect of the football department and therefore has to 'wear the can' for our abject failure in this area.
Forget about coaching nous and ability, if you can't have your best players on the field regularly you have no chance of succeeding.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood is arguably the richest sporting club in Australia. As one of the richest AFL clubs they have had all the money and resources in the world over the last 6 years but they’ve also had an incredibly bad run with injuries. Was that Buckley’s fault in the first 3 years when he wanted to control everything, and is it someone else’s now...or is it just bad luck

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 30 Apr 2020 5:07pm Collingwood is arguably the richest sporting club in Australia. As one of the richest AFL clubs they have had all the money and resources in the world over the last 6 years but they’ve also had an incredibly bad run with injuries. Was that Buckley’s fault in the first 3 years when he wanted to control everything, and is it someone else’s now...or is it just bad luck
The buck stops with Buckley. He's the head coach and if he is in control of everything to do with the Football Dept (like GT was) then it is 100% his responsibility.
If he relinquished that control to somebody else 3 years ago then it is no longer his responsibility, obviously.

I actually don't understand why you're trying to absolve GT of responsibility in this?
Every public comment I've read/heard about his coaching style mentioned his 'manic' need to micromanage (control) all facets of the football dept.
Just a question for you:-
are you also suggesting that Hird had no responsibility with respect to what his 'sports science' people were doing at Essendope either?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Mr Magic wrote: Thu 30 Apr 2020 5:51pm

The buck stops with Buckley. He's the head coach and if he is in control of everything to do with the Football Dept (like GT was) then it is 100% his responsibility.
If he relinquished that control to somebody else 3 years ago then it is no longer his responsibility, obviously.

I actually don't understand why you're trying to absolve GT of responsibility in this?
Every public comment I've read/heard about his coaching style mentioned his 'manic' need to micromanage (control) all facets of the football dept.
are you also suggesting that Hird had no responsibility with respect to what his 'sports science' people were doing at Essendope either?
as you are conveniently ignoring the fact that the club was broke during Gts time
We simply didnt have the money to pay support staff like Collingwood & EFC
It was not until the books were more balanced that staff could be brought back in
But it was clear he thought outside the box and sought outside help from the Monash Uni Adv sports dept for payers with hamstring problems
The main problem I saw with GTs time & injuries comes down to simply that the core of his best players were kids RLs were mature bodies
What you call manic control could also be attributed to RL
It just depends on how you perceive things

Seeya
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 30 Apr 2020 6:43pm
Mr Magic wrote: Thu 30 Apr 2020 5:51pm

as you are conveniently ignoring the fact that the club was broke during Gts time
We simply didnt have the money to pay support staff like Collingwood & EFC
It was not until the books were more balanced that staff could be brought back in
But it was clear he thought outside the box and sought outside help from the Monash Uni Adv sports dept for payers with hamstring problems
The main problem I saw with GTs time & injuries comes down to simply that the core of his best players were kids RLs were mature bodies
What you call manic control could also be attributed to RL
It just depends on how you perceive things
Given that the discussion is about this particular team coached by GT, I didn't see the need to bring RL into this.

I'm not conveniently forgetting anything - I remember it quite clearly.
The Club was so 'broke' that it couldn't afford to send the players and staff on overseas pre-season training camps?
(I thought at the time it was a fantastic decision/move by him)
GT chose where the Club's money was spent vis-à-vis the Football Dept - all a part of his 'çontrol'.
To absolve him of final responsibility for 'Training Services' is, again IMHO, just a 'cop-out'.
Laud him for what he did well but also have the ability to criticise him for what he didn't.

Maybe we could have a more reasoned discussion on this topic if everybody could accept that no coach we've had (including Yabby) was 'perfect'.

Viking3
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Wed 29 Apr 2020 1:39pm No doubt it hurt us that the umps had no time for milne or schneider. the latter had an obvious lay down misere free heading into goal in the last quarter of the gf. And for an idea of how ridiculous it got against milne look at the last minute of our rnd 14 game. somehow found a way to not only not give milne the free, but reverse it to keep geelong in the game.
Remember the Schneider decision all too well. It was directly in front of us. Ryan, the confessed Cats fan, put the whistle to his mouth and then came the nah, f**k it moment.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote: Fri 01 May 2020 10:04pm
desertsaint wrote: Wed 29 Apr 2020 1:39pm No doubt it hurt us that the umps had no time for milne or schneider. the latter had an obvious lay down misere free heading into goal in the last quarter of the gf. And for an idea of how ridiculous it got against milne look at the last minute of our rnd 14 game. somehow found a way to not only not give milne the free, but reverse it to keep geelong in the game.
Remember the Schneider decision all too well. It was directly in front of us. Ryan, the confessed Cats fan, put the whistle to his mouth and then came the nah, f**k it moment.
You will hear the usual crew tell you Sneider deserved it because he clapped at the umpire weeks before hand. Well straight clear fact is umpire Ryan cheated.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 02 May 2020 9:57am
You will hear the usual crew tell you Sneider deserved it because he clapped at the umpire weeks before hand. Well straight clear fact is umpire Ryan cheated.
Hey Curly, what is your thoughts on the umpire who cheated to win us the 2010 Qualifying final?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 02 May 2020 10:31am
Hey Curly, what is your thoughts on the umpire who cheated to win us the 2010 Qualifying final?
You mean when the umpire paid the free kick immediatley on seeing the infringement. Riewoldt was infringed all night a well rehearsed Geelong tactic.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 02 May 2020 11:10am
You mean when the umpire paid the free kick immediatley on seeing the infringement. Riewoldt was infringed all night a well rehearsed Geelong tactic.
Free kicks 16-16

Some people are never happy!

:lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 02 May 2020 12:59pm
Free kicks 16-16

Ignored numerous infringements on Riewoldt with Geelongs defensive cheating.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 02 May 2020 2:54pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 02 May 2020 12:59pm
Free kicks 16-16

Ignored numerous infringements on Riewoldt with Geelongs defensive cheating.
They won the game for us, gave a free to Gwilt that even Reiwoldt says was not a free (below comments from NR) and didn't call Gilberts deliberate out of bounds.

Clearly we won on dodgy decisions and the AFL backed them up on their cheating in our favor.

BTW, I'd love to see some footage of the cheating against Reiwoldt and the infringements that were ignored.

Mooney gave away a crucial free kick in the dying moments of the 2010 qualifying final against Riewoldt’s Saints, and was caught on TV microphones telling umpire Matt Stevic “you cost us the game” shortly before the siren sounded on the Saints’ four-point win.

Stevic ruled Mooney pushed James Gwilt in the back in a crunching tackle, allowing Cats skipper Cameron Ling to kick what he — and most of the 60,000-plus crowd — thought was the winning goal.

“I remember thinking, ‘Not again’,” Riewoldt recalls.

Cameron Ling kicks what he thinks is the winning goal in the 2010 qualifying final.
“It felt like we had iced the game then out of nowhere up the other end Ling kicked the goal.

“Immediately my mind went back to the 2009 Grand Final when the ball rushed down the other end and Paul Chapman won them the game.

“I think it took a long time for everyone to realise Cam Money had given away a free kick, there was a fair bit of confusion out on the ground.”

The league ticked off the decision and Saints coach Ross Lyon was adamant after the game the free kick was there, but after watching the replay Riewoldt says Mooney may have been pretty hard done-by.

“I don’t think there was much in it.”

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.