It's Footy But Not As We Know It

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

It's Footy But Not As We Know It

Season 2020 has kicked off. Has it ever.

It’s barely started and it may only last one round.

However, it will go down as the most bizarre season of AFL in the game’s history.

And soon it will be our turn to play in front of three men and a small brown dog.

Not quite.

Our coaches, Opposition coaches, support staff and a small group of footy commentators, to be accurate.

The AFL was roundly criticised for allowing the competition to proceed. Not by me. I support them.

Many footy followers have said playing without a crowd is soulless, not the same, And to some extent they are right.

But to me it is not a case of losing the magic.

On the contrary.

We’ve just replaced it with a very different kind of magic.

Small things mean a lot. You hear different sounds.

For example, footy commentators being drowned out by the sound of trains leaving Richmond station and cars and trucks on Punt Road.

And last night Brody Grundy hitting the post with his shot on goal. The sound of leather hitting the wooden post is just something you don’t normally hear. And the players talking to each other, the ceaseless chatter.

Big deal I hear you say. Fair enough.

I will readily concede I may be making the super best of a bad situation.

But this current crisis has stripped the game back to its purest form.

Thirty six players playing the game they love. Just like how they used to before they were professionals. And you can see they are loving it.

Of course, they are getting super well paid to do it. But I really did think they might be half hearted about it and only perform when there's a crowd behind them.

In fact I couldn’t be more wrong. The players are clearly giving it their all and playing a high standard of footy.

Last night the doggies versus the filth was great.

To be honest, I don’t know how long any of this will last.

The way this crisis is developing, It may be all over after this weekend.

But I’m enjoying the ride and can’t wait for Sunday.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Re: It's Footy But Not As We Know It

ScoMo to announce a 4 week lockdown tomorrow.

Take it to the bank.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood staff member has already tested positive. See the online Age. Breaking news.
They say they won’t stop the show, so it’s the first test case I suppose.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Don’t bank on tomorrow just yet. Two tests ( that I know of) have yet to be determined

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sat 21 Mar 2020 4:39pm Don’t bank on tomorrow just yet. Two tests ( that I know of) have yet to be determined
:shock: :shock: :cry:

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 21 Mar 2020 4:12pm ScoMo to announce a 4 week lockdown tomorrow.

Take it to the bank.
Interesting time frame that 4 weeks. Because that's all we can afford before we must go back to normal, whatever the consequences of that.

Good news is that the virus is been successfully treated with a common (and cheap) anti-malaria drug, in some US Hospitals and South Korea. It may even work as a preventative measure, but that's not certain yet. The stuff has been around for 30 years, so there's no need to test it. Worst case scenario is that it won't work. Trump has apparently ordered mass distribution of it. Pretty soon all US Hospitals will be using it.

Over the next 4 weeks:

Increase the amount of hospital beds and ventilators as much as possible, deploy the military to assist.

Make sure the anti-malaria drug is distributed far and wide.

Identify those most vulnerable to the virus and prepare them to isolate themselves with support.

Then lift all restrictions excepting the closed borders. Leave them closed for a bit longer.

Otherwise we're awfully close to a depression and the social impact of that will dwarf the Wutang virus.

I call it the Wutan virus in defiance of that Chinese junta of oligarchs, the Chinese Communist Party. Who the whole world need to look to for repatriations. Its their secrecy, corruption and incompetence that have caused all this.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 21 Mar 2020 5:52pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 21 Mar 2020 4:12pm ScoMo to announce a 4 week lockdown tomorrow.

Take it to the bank.
Interesting time frame that 4 weeks. Because that's all we can afford before we must go back to normal, whatever the consequences of that.

Good news is that the virus is been successfully treated with a common (and cheap) anti-malaria drug, in some US Hospitals and South Korea. It may even work as a preventative measure, but that's not certain yet. The stuff has been around for 30 years, so there's no need to test it. Worst case scenario is that it won't work. Trump has apparently ordered mass distribution of it. Pretty soon all US Hospitals will be using it.

Over the next 4 weeks:

Increase the amount of hospital beds and ventilators as much as possible, deploy the military to assist.

Make sure the anti-malaria drug is distributed far and wide.

Identify those most vulnerable to the virus and prepare them to isolate themselves with support.

Then lift all restrictions excepting the closed borders. Leave them closed for a bit longer.

Otherwise we're awfully close to a depression and the social impact of that will dwarf the Wutang virus.

I call it the Wutan virus in defiance of that Chinese junta of oligarchs, the Chinese Communist Party. Who the whole world need to look to for repatriations. Its their secrecy, corruption and incompetence that have caused all this.
And you know who brought this plague upon us apart from the airlines? Chinese, Yanks, those returning from the good old US of A, Iranians and Italians :evil: :twisted: .

Hope we all have long memories.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sat 21 Mar 2020 4:39pm Don’t bank on tomorrow just yet. Two tests ( that I know of) have yet to be determined
Thanks for the heads up Tony.
I reckon we'll be lucky to get to Round 3 even if we do play tomorrow.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Take it to the bank.
Schools won't be closing yet - definitely not this coming week. After that, who knows?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 21 Mar 2020 4:24pm Collingwood staff member has already tested positive. See the online Age. Breaking news.
They say they won’t stop the show, so it’s the first test case I suppose.
Yup. And sayonara.
Fancy going overseas now.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/colli ... 42536ce48f