Marsh 2 Game thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Marsh 2 Game thread

bigcarl wrote: Sun 08 Mar 2020 10:17pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 08 Mar 2020 7:16pm Ryder looked good in the ruck, but I feel he took away from Marshal’s game, which is my worry going into the season with both of them.
Ratts said before the game that Marshall is 24 and they want him to still be playing for St Kilda at 34. They don’t want him too beaten up.

Grundy is a pretty damn good player, but I thought overall we shaded them in the ruck.

I like the two rucks and I hope we stick with it all season. I know other teams use just the one and a pinch-hitter, but why should we if we have two that are good enough and can both play forward.

Ryder is protection for King and Marshall.
Just saying in the round 1 team thread... with the backline depth and Battle’s uncertain position status, I reckon Marshall/Ryder sharing the ruck, and Marshall/Battle sharing the forward line makes a bit of sense.
The concern with Ryder has always been that he’s an average forward... maybe he doesn’t need to play there so much

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 08 Mar 2020 8:13pm If Jake Carlisle is 100% fit I’d play him but if Ben Brown is out it probably means we can risk leaving him out 1 more week

I don’t think Savage plays and I’d keep Coff or maybe play Webster if he’s 100% fit

One bloke that was a little disappointing today was Luke Dunstan. Effort good, displayed his usual hardness and got plenty of touches but he butchered it and wasted countless inside 50’s. He wasn’t alone in this regard but I noticed a few too many clangers from him and long bombs that went straight to the opposition
If Ben Brown is out, we win.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
To the top
SS Life Member

Marshall’s skills as a footballer are exceptional

As a footballer

Hopefully, with King, we have 2 such exceptional footballers in our forward line, both over 200cm

Ryder has impressed at the Club, a very impressive person and a very skilled ruckman

Carlisle is also a key with his marking, smarts and ball use in defence

Add Howard on the last line (where you would not play Carlisle), Roberton and Long who are all additions to defence plus then the promise shown by Clark and Coffield (191cm) at the end of last season and the pressure is really on for back 6 spots

BarryGrogan
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Sun 08 Mar 2020 6:36pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 08 Mar 2020 5:22pm
avid wrote: Sun 08 Mar 2020 5:15pm Why do we have two threads?

Repeating myself here:
According to SEN, Ben Long has 18 possessions for the first half!
Across the back line. Fantastic move!
Slaughtered it though.
Long BOG
That's good to hear.

I only saw the first half and he was coughing it up pretty badly (as was everyone else though to be fair).

If he can be damaging off half back, it'll be an enormous boost.

carn_sainter
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Sun 08 Mar 2020 7:29pm JB needs a breakout season, I still feel there's more potential there to break games open.
Billings is not going to break games open. In my view he completely lacks potential in this area. He has no killer instinct or the kind of mental toughness (as opposed to general mental toughness) to do that.

Our game breaker is actually Jack Lonie. He's the guy who has shown several times an ability to makes goals from very little opportunity as well as to pile on goals fast. Far more of a game-breaker than Billings.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote: Sun 08 Mar 2020 11:35pm
Otiman wrote: Sun 08 Mar 2020 7:29pm JB needs a breakout season, I still feel there's more potential there to break games open.
Billings is not going to break games open. In my view he completely lacks potential in this area. He has no killer instinct or the kind of mental toughness (as opposed to general mental toughness) to do that.

Our game breaker is actually Jack Lonie. He's the guy who has shown several times an ability to makes goals from very little opportunity as well as to pile on goals fast. Far more of a game-breaker than Billings.
Hot take

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 08 Mar 2020 7:09pm What did people think of:
Battle
Howard
King
Roberton
Hannebery
Battle was good, playing an awkward swing role must be a bit tricky for a young player. Will be better when he gets used to his role.
Howard was terrific from what I saw and absolutely lasered his kicks confidently out of the backline. Much better display of kicking skills this game after some ugly kicks in the first.
King should have kicked 4 to halftime. 3 very gettable misses. Looks very good and fights for his marks.
Robo looked good, calm and in control. Thought he went well with Wilkie his 2019 clone alongside him. Carlisle may not be a walk up start. Quick agile players who have second and third efforts may be more useful than a lazy bloke who can take an intercept mark Reading between the lines of Roos comments in the third quarter I think, he thinks the same.
Hannaberry, Good in and under, receiving on a wing, kicking goals ....linked up with fellow ex Swan Jones on a lot of occasions.

Also, the Long to Hill will be called alot this year, they worked really well together.

Nee!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 08 Mar 2020 10:17pm
Grundy is a pretty damn good player, but I thought overall we shaded them in the ruck.
Was it just my eyes or did Grundy get away with manhandling Marshall more than he did with the other rucks - he was paid a few infringements against when he was rucking against Ryder - but treated Marshall worse - was Marshall just not as good at highlighting the contact as the more experienced Ryder??

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 12:03am Quick agile players who have second and third efforts may be more useful than a lazy bloke who can take an intercept mark Reading between the lines of Roos comments in the third quarter I think, he thinks the same.
I was taking that comment as one directed towards our (C)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Marshall beat Grundy one on one

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 08 Mar 2020 11:14pm

Repeating myself here:
Slaughtered it though.
Long BOG
That's good to hear.

I only saw the first half and he was coughing it up pretty badly (as was everyone else though to be fair).

he coughed it up once in the first quarter. ???? as far as I saw. so that is coughing it up pretty badly ?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

we won’t be moving the pill down the fat side
but the black side

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 9:06am we won’t be moving the pill down the fat side
but the black side
:D yes

asiu
Saintsational Legend

:D

thats good isn’t it

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
diddley
Club Player

Haven’t really seen anyone mention Clark?
Anything worth mentioning?

poatina
Club Player

I thought Ryder and Marshall gave Grundy a bath. First Ryder clearly out- tapped him( great to see the number of his taps which went to one of our players on the move) then Marshall played him up close in a completely different style. I don’t think Grundy adapted, and got further lost when they changed over.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

poatina wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 11:29am I thought Ryder and Marshall gave Grundy a bath. First Ryder clearly out- tapped him( great to see the number of his taps which went to one of our players on the move) then Marshall played him up close in a completely different style. I don’t think Grundy adapted, and got further lost when they changed over.
Yeah...almost a shock to the system to see a tap go to a player on the move (in Saints colours).
Ryder is very talented and now is using that talent for the forces of good not evil

Nee!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 8:20am

Repeating myself here:
Slaughtered it though.
Long BOG
That's good to hear.

he coughed it up once in the first quarter. ???? as far as I saw. so that is coughing it up pretty badly ?
This is just people seeing what they want to see for their own agenda.

Long had 18 in the first half at 89% efficiency. Sorry, but off half back that is f****** elite.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 1:46pm
The Fireman wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 8:20am

Repeating myself here:
Slaughtered it though.
Long BOG
That's good to hear.

Long had 18 in the first half at 89% efficiency. Sorry, but off half back that is f****** elite.
He can play like that and couggh it up all year as far as I am concerned.

Only pre-season but a genius move by Ratten to play Long down back.
I wonder who thought of it?

From 23 October 2019, glad Ratten reads this forum :wink:
Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 11:59am Long Carslile Geary
Clarke Battle Savage
Hill Hannebery Jones
Gresham Howard Billings
Membrey King Butler

Marshall Steele Ross

Roberton Wilkie Lonie Coffield

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
oldie60
Club Player

poatina wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 11:29am I thought Ryder and Marshall gave Grundy a bath. First Ryder clearly out- tapped him( great to see the number of his taps which went to one of our players on the move) then Marshall played him up close in a completely different style. I don’t think Grundy adapted, and got further lost when they changed over.
Agree, it was great to have a tap ruckman giving our on ballers first touch. Grundy was beaten in all facets of the game.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

bigred wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 1:46pm

The Efficiency stat is frog s*** though. Simply ignore it.

For example: If you have a bloke on his own, but ignore him and kick to a worse option who is also on his own, but miss the target - as long it ends in a 50/50 contest it still counts as an Effective Possession.
So you can completely f*** up a play but still get an Effective Disposal stat for it.

It's the most misleading stat of them all.

In that role, precision is key. And he was far from precise in the first half.

He wasn't on his own though - most players on both sides were butchering it. Hence the putrid 8 goal half.

The pressure was red hot, and it's March - so it's to be expected.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

You overplayed "the coughing it up tag " Baz ...pure and simple...

It's ok to admit error on here Baz.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 2:48pm You overplayed "the coughing it up tag " Baz ...pure and simple...

I don't think I did at all.

If you interpreted 'cough it up' to mean 'directly turn it over', then I could see how you would disagree.

But if you interpret it as 'missing targets', and 'lacking precision when in possession' (which is how it was intended) then you'd be completely wrong to disagree with it.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 2:55pm
The Fireman wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 2:48pm You overplayed "the coughing it up tag " Baz ...pure and simple...

I don't think I did at all.

If you interpreted 'cough it up' to mean 'directly turn it over', then I could see how you would disagree.

But if you interpret it as 'missing targets', and 'lacking precision when in possession' (which is how it was intended) then you'd be completely wrong to disagree with it.
It's ok to be wrong..I watched the first half again..he was excellent and your negativity unfounded, I'm sorry mate but I can't take you seriously from here on out.
Cheers.