Fitter Gresham in push for midfield role

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Fitter Gresham in push for midfield role

Yet another very positive article about the 2020 Saints in today's Oz (from yesterday's Herald Sun:

St Kilda’s Jade Gresham has ransitioned from a small forward to the midfield
• By CHRIS CAVANAGH
• 8:56PM FEBRUARY 26, 2020
St Kilda young gun Jade Gresham will push for greater midfield opportunity this year after further building his fitness across a flawless pre-season.
Gresham transitioned from a small forward in 2018 to split his time between the midfield and forward line with the Saints last year.
He now has his sights set on playing predominantly as a midfielder in 2020 on the back of a trouble-free summer on the track.
“I’ve had one of my first full pre-seasons since I got to the club so I’ve been able to get fitter and stronger,” Gresham said. “Hopefully I can play that 80-20 midfield-forward mix and get a bit more time through the midfield.”
Gresham ranked ninth among midfield-forwards in the AFL last year according to Champion Data, but at 22, he was the youngest player in the top 10. In his fourth season, he rated elite for disposals (22.6 a game), inside-50s (4.8) and clearances (4.6), while still managing 15 goals from 19 games before a fractured eye socket ended his campaign early.
“That was just a four or five-week injury. I’m fully recovered now and have no real issues,” Gresham said.
“I could have (had surgery) but because we had the long break (post-season) it had time to heal.”
Gresham joined the Saints’ third-year players for a trip to Darwin and the Tiwi Islands in November, the second time he had been there in as many years. While he grew up in Melbourne’s northern suburbs, he is of indigenous descent with roots going back to the Yorta Yorta people.
“Hopefully we can make it a yearly thing,” Gresham said of the Saints’ Tiwi Islands trip.
“You take away how much the kids up there love footy and life. They really love life. They don’t have much but they’re just always happy and always smiling.”
Gresham will play for Victoria in the AFL’s State of Origin at Marvel Stadium on Friday night.

There's no question about it, the football media are really impressed with the way our club has gone about achieving success, and for very good reasons, Bassat, Lethlean & Co have certainly made some great decisions to transform the team with a real chance of challenging for finals.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
carn_sainter
Club Player

Re: Fitter Gresham in push for midfield role

He needs Brad Hill to teach him how to kick. The last couple of seasons he developed bad habits just putting the ball up sky high and long, often kicking across his body.

Will be a weapon if he lowers his eyes and spots up when he's through the middle

DJ Higgins
Club Player

carn_sainter wrote: Fri 28 Feb 2020 12:58am He needs Brad Hill to teach him how to kick. The last couple of seasons he developed bad habits just putting the ball up sky high and long, often kicking across his body.

Will be a weapon if he lowers his eyes and spots up when he's through the middle
Agree. So many players seemee to stagnate or go backwards last year with the basic skills deteriorating. I prefer him as a small forward from a few years ago myself. He used to be good in front of goal but seemed like he was so good that he was ear marked to fill the voids in the middle.
Give me billings in the middle and gresh up forward as billings can't kickat goal to save himself.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Gresham ranked ninth among midfield-forwards in the AFL last year according to Champion Data, but at 22, he was the youngest player in the top 10. In his fourth season, he rated elite for disposals (22.6 a game), inside-50s (4.8) and clearances (4.6)

Maybe Gresh will be able to teach Hill a few tricks sometime in the not too distant future.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

We are extremely lucky to have Gresh, Billings and now Hill. Add in Hanners and I think we are going places.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 28 Feb 2020 10:23am We are extremely lucky to have Gresh, Billings and now Hill. Add in Hanners and I think we are going places.
And Hunter Clark

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Fri 28 Feb 2020 11:01am
saynta wrote: Fri 28 Feb 2020 10:23am We are extremely lucky to have Gresh, Billings and now Hill. Add in Hanners and I think we are going places.
And Hunter Clark

Yep. You could also throw in a couple of others.
Last edited by saynta on Fri 28 Feb 2020 3:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Gresham can't kick. I know Rath has been working on it - but it was foul still last week.

Will never be a really good mid until he sorts it out.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Gresh is a beautiful kick. He is in the top 5 for best kicks at the club.

The_President
Club Player

Think Gresh is the youngest one out on the ground tonight.

What an experience for him

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Gresham was out of his depth tonight, but it was a great opportunity to see how the real professionals go about their footy.

diddley
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 28 Feb 2020 11:06pm Gresham was out of his depth tonight, but it was a great opportunity to see how the real professionals go about their footy.
I don’t think he was out of his depth up forward, but when you compare him to the likes of Bont Fyfe or Cripps, then sure, he wasn’t on the same level in the midfield.
That being said, glad he was there. I remember reading somewhere from the last SOO game, that Nathan Foley didn’t think he was on that level, but rubbing shoulders with the best gave him the confidence that he belonged there, and grew better from that moment. Let’s hope Gresh does the same.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

2 goals and a couple of assists and a lovely sidestep suggests he went ok

Nee!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Fri 28 Feb 2020 11:47pm 2 goals and a couple of assists and a lovely sidestep suggests he went ok
Yep
Did well

Jade is 5 ft 9 so he's never going to appear as imposing as guy's like bont fyfe and cripps who are 6 ft 3 + . I just hope he continues to improve and becomes a reliable ball user for our mid field.

In red white and black from 73
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 28 Feb 2020 11:06pm Gresham was out of his depth tonight, but it was a great opportunity to see how the real professionals go about their footy.
That's unfair. I thought he worked himself into the game. Kicked a couple and assisted in three others. Class player.

https://www.saints.com.au/

"Bradley Hill and Jade Gresham have done their sides proud after featuring in Friday night’s star-studded State of Origin Bushfire Game."

"The two Saints provided their own pieces of magic in the elite-level affair, utilising their speed and flair to add to the scoreboard for their respective teams.

Gresham ended his evening with two goals, 15 disposals and four marks, and could easily have ended with a third before selflessly passing off continue the Big V’s final quarter onslaught. "

"The 22-year-old’s teammate-turned-rival Hill racked up 17 disposals, 24 pressure acts, 10 score involvements and a goal.

His precision kicking at full tilt was on display throughout the evening, and fitted seamlessly into the match’s insane skill level and lightning-quick pace."

They both did true saints fans proud,

Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Fri 28 Feb 2020 11:24am Gresham can't kick. I know Rath has been working on it - but it was foul still last week.

Will never be a really good mid until he sorts it out.

Agree- he kicks like a kid from Auskick. All up and down. And those across the body kicks rarely come off. Brad Hill should tutor Him.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Gresh has one of the most technically exquisite kicking actions in the league. His kicking stats are elite. For those that actually go to training and/or games you would know what an excellent kick he is.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 1:46pm Gresh has one of the most technically exquisite kicking actions in the league. His kicking stats are elite. For those that actually go to training and/or games you would know what an excellent kick he is.
You taking the piss?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 1:54pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 1:46pm Gresh has one of the most technically exquisite kicking actions in the league. His kicking stats are elite. For those that actually go to training and/or games you would know what an excellent kick he is.
You taking the piss?
I like to call it "bullsh1t with Baz".

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

First guy since Milne that has displayed that exciting quality I really love. Hope he does great this year. He's capable of freakish things and has that touch of mongrel about his personality. Love him.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Gresh IS a good kick. It's the blind high snaps out of the middle that he could improve. He has more time than he thinks in the midfield. Need to have a look and compose for a punt

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Munga wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 4:08pm Gresh IS a good kick. It's the blind high snaps out of the middle that he could improve. He has more time than he thinks in the midfield. Need to have a look and compose for a punt
This sounds like a much more objective and factually correct observation.

avid
Club Player

He is naturally a beautiful kick (Look at his Draft camp ratings -- top in his year)
The problem is with the TYPE of kick he habitually reverts to -- that floating, weighted, looping pass.
He often does that exquisitely too. But often it's the inappropriate option, and it often ends in disaster, or disappointment.
If he practised Brad Hill's stab pass with him he could become a far more damaging player.
He has the natural kicking talent to do it.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

avid wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 4:31pm He is naturally a beautiful kick (Look at his Draft camp ratings -- top in his year)
The problem is with the TYPE of kick he habitually reverts to -- that floating, weighted, looping pass.
He often does that exquisitely too. But often it's the inappropriate option, and it often ends in disaster, or disappointment.
If he practised Brad Hill's stab pass with him he could become a far more damaging player.
He has the natural kicking talent to do it.
Another objective observation. I'm starting to lean towards the boy CAN kick.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Gresh has too much goal sense to use him anywhere but in the forward line. Maybe swing him into the mid to shake an opponent once in a while, but I think he should spend his time inside forward 50, around the fall of the spoil.