This Sunday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

takeaway
Club Player

Re: This Sunday

sunsaint wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 6:04pm
takeaway wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 11:20am
Maybe some of your "knuckle-draggers" are women? My wife is also a Saints fan and cannot watch AFLW. Maybe some fans are more discerning and wish to watch quality sport, and don't blindly follow a low quality but strongly promoted commercial vehicle just because they wear the red, white and black.

I have also had a good chuckle on here because apparently those that have no interest in watching AFLW are:

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
not loyal Saints supporters
knuckle draggers

Quite funny really. I think some of the knuckle dragging is on the other foot. Good luck to those who enjoy watching AFLW, and good luck to the team, but I have better things to do with my time, and will stick to elite high quality sport.
just wondering did you and your wife go watch your kids play junior sport
or maybe just you - her chain wouldnt reach past the front door...
or neither of you cuz obviously it wasnt up to scratch

:) think that will invoke a reaction to kick the fireman into hyper-drive numbers
When you try to make a point you need to ensure the two issues are somewhat related, otherwise your argument falls flat. As the fireman points out, one is supporting your family members, the other is going to watch entertainment you wish to see. If my daughter played AFLW, I would go, even if I did not really enjoy the spectacle.
I think my wife is capable of deciding herself whether or not she enjoys AFLW, or do you not think so?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

rubbish
Stkilda "family" support
sport = entertainment

its just you dont value womens afl on either criteria

Seeya
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 7:29pm rubbish
Stkilda "family" support
sport = entertainment

its just you dont value womens afl on either criteria
oh dear. :oops:

George27
Club Player

George27 wrote: Sun 09 Feb 2020 5:09pm
stkfc1 wrote: Sun 09 Feb 2020 3:45pm Great turnout. Very windy. Skills go from very good to deplorable but wind isn't helping. Bloody gutsy efforts though. Our 21 is a little gun.
Number 21 - Georgia Patrikios . Only 18. Will be a beauty. Ran out of legs, but looked very clever early.
Congratulations to Georgia Patrikios on winning a Rising Star nomination .

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 8:32pm
George27 wrote: Sun 09 Feb 2020 5:09pm
stkfc1 wrote: Sun 09 Feb 2020 3:45pm Great turnout. Very windy. Skills go from very good to deplorable but wind isn't helping. Bloody gutsy efforts though. Our 21 is a little gun.
Number 21 - Georgia Patrikios . Only 18. Will be a beauty. Ran out of legs, but looked very clever early.
Congratulations to Georgia Patrikios on winning a Rising Star nomination .
Gun. Future captain.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 6:17pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 2:38pm
The_Dud wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 1:41pm
outside66 wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 10:35am Whilst we didn't get the result we were after, I reckon it was a fantastic day! It had a real festival-like feel and everyone looked like they were having a fun time. There are a few things for the club to improve upon but that's to be expected after their first go at it. I can't wait for next weeks treat with the lads on Thursday then back again when the woman take on the Dee's!

Also, I had myself a good chuckle at some of the knuckle-draggers that have popped up in this thread. Unbelievable but not surprising really. Would hate to be a woman in those households...
Maybe some of your "knuckle-draggers" are women? My wife is also a Saints fan and cannot watch AFLW. Maybe some fans are more discerning and wish to watch quality sport, and don't blindly follow a low quality but strongly promoted commercial vehicle just because they wear the red, white and black.

I have also had a good chuckle on here because apparently those that have no interest in watching AFLW are:

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

Quite funny really. I think some of the knuckle dragging is on the other foot. Good luck to those who enjoy watching AFLW, and good luck to the team, but I have better things to do with my time, and will stick to elite high quality sport.
There’s a difference between not being a fan of the spectacle, which is fine, and thinking it shouldn’t exist and is some kind of evil ‘agenda’ being pushed by the AFL.

Though no one as yet has been able to explain to me what exactly the ‘agenda’ is and why it is so evil.
Dud, It's not evil per se; there are benefits to everything (act now, and make excuses later). But it is poitical, idelogical and very very opportunistic.

The "agenda" is that power can distract and divide everyone (divide et impera) with issues around identity as opposed to issues and problems around class and economic opportunity which have been created by policies over the 50 years that really only benefits the 0.1% and have created a massive income inequality and a serious wealth distribution problem.

The "left" has lost its way because most working-class and poor people couldn’t care less about identity politics issues. Which by the way are only really aimed at a very narrow demographic and it usually isn’t blue collar working class women.

It's also virtue signalling to win votes, market share, promote your brand/reputation, whatever.
So the AFL isn’t allowed to do the right thing because it happens to also be a good business decision?
I think you might have that the wrong way around but it depends on how you define “right thing” when motivation counts. The point is that the AFL is acting in it’s own self interest.

Time will tell if it’s a good business decision and and what cost (both direct and indirect).

The AFL and everyone else can do what they want. I’m simply pointing out the ideological bulls***.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I don't understand it

Can't you see?

My kids played Auskick, all 5. The 4 girls and my son with disabilities.

The girls were good, damn mean ferrets that would gnaw your fecking face off for the ball. I had to do with Level 1 Coaching so I could "coach" and try to harness their ferocity.

Now at 23, 19, 17, 15 none of them play footy. One has a scholarship and plays basketball in a SEC university in the USA. The others do no sport.

But my 23, 19 yr daughter bought their own memberships this season. My son passed in 2019 due to his disability but in 2018 he bought the whole family memberships.

Do you get it yet?!

Integrating males and females together sparked a passion, that has created lifelong members for our club.

Just purely being selfish, I want all my kids at the games and passionate.

My 23 yr old told me she would be stayed in Australia and played AFLW if she had been given the chance 4 yrs ago when she got a full scholarship to leave Oz.

We need new members, the AFLW won't appeal to all, but it, like the blended gender Auskick can create interest and passion for our great sport!

I don't care if Beelzebub himself cooked up the AFLW, our club needs it! Our future needs women!

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks Saint Lee for taking the trouble to try and explain why it matters. It's not easy without resorting to insults. And I am trying to get on board with Nick and his other Nicks on that score!

Furphy
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 4:28pm Trigger warning in 3... 2... 1...

:)

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/the-p ... 9fc549879e
Whilst we’re at it, why don’t we rename the competition AFLGBT?

Furphy
Club Player

The ‘virtue signallers’ on here are starting to remind me of that ‘Everyone I don’t like is Hitler’ meme

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 7:15pm

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

:) think that will invoke a reaction to kick the fireman into hyper-drive numbers
When you try to make a point you need to ensure the two issues are somewhat related, otherwise your argument falls flat. As the fireman points out, one is supporting your family members, the other is going to watch entertainment you wish to see. If my daughter played AFLW, I would go, even if I did not really enjoy the spectacle.
I think my wife is capable of deciding herself whether or not she enjoys AFLW, or do you not think so?
No, she isn’t capable of deciding and either are you. Who do you think you are?! An autonomous thinking human being!

I find AFLW a bit too centrally planned and manufactured but that’s just me...I better drink some of the cool aide.

takeaway
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Wed 12 Feb 2020 7:36am
takeaway wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 7:15pm

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

No, she isn’t capable of deciding and either are you. Who do you think you are?! An autonomous thinking human being!

I find AFLW a bit too centrally planned and manufactured but that’s just me...I better drink some of the cool aide.

Yes, you're right. Sorry, I'll try to get back into line. Not sure my wife will though.

I agree there is a manufactured feel to AFLW and coupled with the inferior spectacle, not for me. Even after some Kool aid. Doesn't mean I'm opposed to the package progressing though.

outside66
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 10:35am Whilst we didn't get the result we were after, I reckon it was a fantastic day! It had a real festival-like feel and everyone looked like they were having a fun time. There are a few things for the club to improve upon but that's to be expected after their first go at it. I can't wait for next weeks treat with the lads on Thursday then back again when the woman take on the Dee's!

Also, I had myself a good chuckle at some of the knuckle-draggers that have popped up in this thread. Unbelievable but not surprising really. Would hate to be a woman in those households...

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

Maybe they are, you're right.

The point is (although I'm sure this point has been hammered to enth degree already) is that if you're not interested in something, then move on and comment on something that does interest you. There's an overwhelming amount of people wanting to actively spruik negativity towards something that honestly has done nothing to warrant such a negative response. All AFLW has truly done is make our great game more inclusive for the other 50 percent of the country - many of whom have already contributed so much to footy for as long as the blokes have, just not out on the park until recently. Girls just want to have fun!

takeaway
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Wed 12 Feb 2020 10:56am

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

The point is (although I'm sure this point has been hammered to enth degree already) is that if you're not interested in something, then move on and comment on something that does interest you. There's an overwhelming amount of people wanting to actively spruik negativity towards something that honestly has done nothing to warrant such a negative response. All AFLW has truly done is make our great game more inclusive for the other 50 percent of the country - many of whom have already contributed so much to footy for as long as the blokes have, just not out on the park until recently. Girls just want to have fun!
The phrase "knuckle-draggers" used for posters who just simply don't find the AFLW spectacle interesting, tends to attract a response because it is rubbish. Perhaps if you just stuck to pure comments on AFLW matches and the Saints team, those expressing disinterest might move on.
Can't guarantee that though.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

I think you hit a raw nerve there mate with your descriptive term for critics of women's game. :wink:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 10:20pm

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

There’s a difference between not being a fan of the spectacle, which is fine, and thinking it shouldn’t exist and is some kind of evil ‘agenda’ being pushed by the AFL.

Though no one as yet has been able to explain to me what exactly the ‘agenda’ is and why it is so evil.
Dud, It's not evil per se; there are benefits to everything (act now, and make excuses later). But it is poitical, idelogical and very very opportunistic.

The "agenda" is that power can distract and divide everyone (divide et impera) with issues around identity as opposed to issues and problems around class and economic opportunity which have been created by policies over the 50 years that really only benefits the 0.1% and have created a massive income inequality and a serious wealth distribution problem.

The "left" has lost its way because most working-class and poor people couldn’t care less about identity politics issues. Which by the way are only really aimed at a very narrow demographic and it usually isn’t blue collar working class women.

It's also virtue signalling to win votes, market share, promote your brand/reputation, whatever.
So the AFL isn’t allowed to do the right thing because it happens to also be a good business decision?
I think you might have that the wrong way around but it depends on how you define “right thing” when motivation counts. The point is that the AFL is acting in it’s own self interest.

Time will tell if it’s a good business decision and and what cost (both direct and indirect).

The AFL and everyone else can do what they want. I’m simply pointing out the ideological bulls***.
It’s pretty clear, I define the “right thing” as giving everyone, regardless of gender/colour/sexual preference/ etc, the same opportunities to succeed in life.

Opening up your league to 100% of the population is only going to increase participation rates, it’s a no brainer.

I am interested to know from you specifically what “ideological bulls***” you are referencing regarding the AFL?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Furphy wrote: Wed 12 Feb 2020 6:34am The ‘virtue signallers’ on here are starting to remind me of that ‘Everyone I don’t like is Hitler’ meme
Ok boomer...

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 11:04pm I don't understand it

Can't you see?

My kids played Auskick, all 5. The 4 girls and my son with disabilities.

The girls were good, damn mean ferrets that would gnaw your fecking face off for the ball. I had to do with Level 1 Coaching so I could "coach" and try to harness their ferocity.

Now at 23, 19, 17, 15 none of them play footy. One has a scholarship and plays basketball in a SEC university in the USA. The others do no sport.

But my 23, 19 yr daughter bought their own memberships this season. My son passed in 2019 due to his disability but in 2018 he bought the whole family memberships.

Do you get it yet?!

Integrating males and females together sparked a passion, that has created lifelong members for our club.

Just purely being selfish, I want all my kids at the games and passionate.

My 23 yr old told me she would be stayed in Australia and played AFLW if she had been given the chance 4 yrs ago when she got a full scholarship to leave Oz.

We need new members, the AFLW won't appeal to all, but it, like the blended gender Auskick can create interest and passion for our great sport!

I don't care if Beelzebub himself cooked up the AFLW, our club needs it! Our future needs women!
Great post Saint-Lee.

I find the footy is not great to watch with only a handful of really skillful players on each team and I can't find the same enthusiasm for the AFLW team that I do for the men's team. But it's not about 50+ men who are already nailed on supporters.

My niece who has supported Essendon but had leanings towards the Saints, due probably to living in Bayside and having a crazy Saints supporting uncle, was there on Sunday with a Saints scarf on, and she brought her Essendon supporting dad with her.

My daughter who was away for work last week will want to go to the next game. Previously, I've had to drag her to AFL games.

I can see lots of positives and very few negatives.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 12 Feb 2020 1:44pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 10:20pm

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

It’s pretty clear, I define the “right thing” as giving everyone, regardless of gender/colour/sexual preference/ etc, the same opportunities to succeed in life.

Opening up your league to 100% of the population is only going to increase participation rates, it’s a no brainer.

I am interested to know from you specifically what “ideological bulls***” you are referencing regarding the AFL?
I think we’re going around in circles. My explanation covered why I think identity politics has been politicised. I wasn’t specifically referring only to the AFL.

But just like what Ghandi said when asked what he thought about western civilisation, your idea of the right thing is a good idea.

outside66
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Wed 12 Feb 2020 11:33am

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

The phrase "knuckle-draggers" used for posters who just simply don't find the AFLW spectacle interesting, tends to attract a response because it is rubbish. Perhaps if you just stuck to pure comments on AFLW matches and the Saints team, those expressing disinterest might move on.
The phrase "knuckle-draggers" was used for posters who had already posted "knuckle-dragging-esque" comments. If people responded to the OP - "Not much chat on here about our first AFLW game but who will be heading down? I personally can't wait, should be a memorable day!' - with a normal response like;

by diddley » Fri 07 Feb 2020 5:49pm

I’m heading down with a car load of women.
I’ll be the one in the cap with the St Kilda crest on it.

If I ever have a daughter, I can’t wait to tell her that I was there on day 1!

or

Post by Enrico_Misso » Fri 07 Feb 2020 10:50pm

I'm giving it a go.

But I still think the AFLW should be played in winter as curtain raisers to the AFL.

Rather than kick off with this unprovoked response;

Post by Laurie » Sat 08 Feb 2020 5:25pm

Who cares.
These users thanked the author Laurie for the post:
Furphy (Mon 10 Feb 2020 8:28am)

or

by The Fireman » Sun 09 Feb 2020 8:50am

couldn't be more disinterested.

PS and will go as far to say the AFLW should have it's own separate forum here on SS

Then we wouldn't have this pissing contest about who is most disinterested in the fact that woman are playing footy. Can't guarantee that though.

takeaway
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Wed 12 Feb 2020 5:02pm

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

The phrase "knuckle-draggers" was used for posters who had already posted "knuckle-dragging-esque" comments. If people responded to the OP - "Not much chat on here about our first AFLW game but who will be heading down? I personally can't wait, should be a memorable day!' - with a normal response like;

or

I'm giving it a go.

But I still think the AFLW should be played in winter as curtain raisers to the AFL.

Who cares.

or

PS and will go as far to say the AFLW should have it's own separate forum here on SS

Then we wouldn't have this pissing contest about who is most disinterested in the fact that woman are playing footy. Can't guarantee that though.
Ha Ha. Love your definition of normal responses and unprovoked responses. Normal responses are posts which you agree with and unprovoked responses are posts you disagree with.
Actually, all are just posts in response to the topic, with differing views, and none include provocative comments, unlike yours.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

spot on Takeaway

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Article from the Guardian about what it would mean to some people if the AFL went to AFLM.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... d-the-norm

“ Predictably, many condemned the suggestion that the men’s competition should be renamed. Some argued that we shouldn’t mess with over 150 years of tradition, seemingly forgetting that before the AFL was the AFL, it was the VFL, and before that, the VFA. Others argued – without further elucidation – that this was yet another case of “political correctness gone mad”. A tired slogan all too often advanced without any attempt to explain it, the argument is supposed to be self-evident. ”

Interesting perspective. Challenges me to open my mind about it.

outside66
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Wed 12 Feb 2020 5:51pm
outside66 wrote: Wed 12 Feb 2020 5:02pm

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

or

I'm giving it a go.

Who cares.

or

Ha Ha. Love your definition of normal responses and unprovoked responses. Normal responses are posts which you agree with and unprovoked responses are posts you disagree with.
Actually, all are just posts in response to the topic, with differing views, and none include provocative comments, unlike yours.
The topic is who’s going, not who doesn’t care and who couldn’t more disinterested. Get out of your cave you wombat.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Why don’t they just call AFLW AFL?