This Sunday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintJohno
Club Player

Re: This Sunday

As the father of a 9 yo daughter and coach of the mighty Tweed Coast Tigers U11girls I can tell you that the future is bright from a skills point of view. I get that right now it's not high scoring or skillful but there are snippits of great play and this will only get better. Remember we're talking about many women who simply haven't played much at all. Sure, they're fit and athletic, but that doesn't equal skill and there will be mistakes of course.
I can asure you the girls I'm coaching are so incredibly excited to be part of the game and have often thrown in other sports for this one. By the time they are eligible to play for the AFLW they will have had 10 years of experience and skill development. So take a deep breath, it will get significantly better.
If you don't rate it, that's fine. There's a lot of people who do and there's an army of quality girls growing into the game. Can't wait to see the next ten years.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I'm glad we got our slice and finally have a Women's AFL team! About time!

I'm not blind though, it's the same game played at a different level. I'm okay with that. We can't compare it to elite men's games just as we can't compare a local club to elite men.

It's going to get better and eventually be exciting to watch. At the moment I'm just enjoying seeing the Saints women out there starting the journey!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 11:20am
outside66 wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 10:35am Whilst we didn't get the result we were after, I reckon it was a fantastic day! It had a real festival-like feel and everyone looked like they were having a fun time. There are a few things for the club to improve upon but that's to be expected after their first go at it. I can't wait for next weeks treat with the lads on Thursday then back again when the woman take on the Dee's!

Also, I had myself a good chuckle at some of the knuckle-draggers that have popped up in this thread. Unbelievable but not surprising really. Would hate to be a woman in those households...
Maybe some of your "knuckle-draggers" are women? My wife is also a Saints fan and cannot watch AFLW. Maybe some fans are more discerning and wish to watch quality sport, and don't blindly follow a low quality but strongly promoted commercial vehicle just because they wear the red, white and black.

I have also had a good chuckle on here because apparently those that have no interest in watching AFLW are:

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
not loyal Saints supporters
knuckle draggers

Quite funny really. I think some of the knuckle dragging is on the other foot. Good luck to those who enjoy watching AFLW, and good luck to the team, but I have better things to do with my time, and will stick to elite high quality sport.
There’s a difference between not being a fan of the spectacle, which is fine, and thinking it shouldn’t exist and is some kind of evil ‘agenda’ being pushed by the AFL.

Though no one as yet has been able to explain to me what exactly the ‘agenda’ is and why it is so evil.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

so who are these knuckle draggers ?

who are those that don't want it to exist ?

name names

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 1:45pm so who are these knuckle draggers ?

name names

takeaway
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 1:41pm
outside66 wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 10:35am Whilst we didn't get the result we were after, I reckon it was a fantastic day! It had a real festival-like feel and everyone looked like they were having a fun time. There are a few things for the club to improve upon but that's to be expected after their first go at it. I can't wait for next weeks treat with the lads on Thursday then back again when the woman take on the Dee's!

Also, I had myself a good chuckle at some of the knuckle-draggers that have popped up in this thread. Unbelievable but not surprising really. Would hate to be a woman in those households...
Maybe some of your "knuckle-draggers" are women? My wife is also a Saints fan and cannot watch AFLW. Maybe some fans are more discerning and wish to watch quality sport, and don't blindly follow a low quality but strongly promoted commercial vehicle just because they wear the red, white and black.

I have also had a good chuckle on here because apparently those that have no interest in watching AFLW are:

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

Quite funny really. I think some of the knuckle dragging is on the other foot. Good luck to those who enjoy watching AFLW, and good luck to the team, but I have better things to do with my time, and will stick to elite high quality sport.
There’s a difference between not being a fan of the spectacle, which is fine, and thinking it shouldn’t exist and is some kind of evil ‘agenda’ being pushed by the AFL.

Though no one as yet has been able to explain to me what exactly the ‘agenda’ is and why it is so evil.
Evil agenda? Where has that come from?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 2:16pm
The Fireman wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 1:45pm so who are these knuckle draggers ?

name names
im extending..i'm going for 25 .....so anyway dud care to answer the question ?

PS your nic def doesn't have any sarcasm attached to it :)

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

Dud, It's not evil per se; there are benefits to everything (act now, and make excuses later). But it is poitical, idelogical and very very opportunistic.

The "agenda" is that power can distract and divide everyone (divide et impera) with issues around identity as opposed to issues and problems around class and economic opportunity which have been created by policies over the 50 years that really only benefits the 0.1% and have created a massive income inequality and a serious wealth distribution problem.

The "left" has lost its way because most working-class and poor people couldn’t care less about identity politics issues. Which by the way are only really aimed at a very narrow demographic and it usually isn’t blue collar working class women.

It's also virtue signalling to win votes, market share, promote your brand/reputation, whatever.
Last edited by SaintPav on Tue 11 Feb 2020 2:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 2:33pm
weird aren't they..one suggests that they have little or no interest in something then are accused of having agendas.

the only thing I'm interested about this thread is that I enjoy letting people know how disenterested I am :) and will do so till the Men's footy starts :)

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 10 Feb 2020 5:22pm
SaintPav wrote: Mon 10 Feb 2020 4:33pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 10 Feb 2020 1:17pm On pure economics, more elite female sport is akin to the government wanting more woman in the workforce, it doubles the amount of people paying tax and significantly increases consumption.

And don't misconstrue that as me not being 100% supportive and active in helping grow female participation. I'm just highlighting the economic decision making behind the explosion of elite female comps in the past 5 or so years.
I thought the AFLW was losing money hand over fist.

Reputation management/marketing 101: The AFL are using it as a vehicle and a brand extension to promote the parent AFL brand because that’s where all the money is. They want to be known as the good corporate citizen. There’s nothing virtuous about this at all; it’s business.

It’s also political but let’s not go there...

Great athletes by the way but it’s practically a different game so I don’t know what the complaints are all about. It should be judged on its own merits.
It's similar to economic stimulation through immigration whereby the ROI is from the second generation because the first generation required significant financial assistance to settle and establish a foothold. So just like when immigration numbers were doubled around 2005, we are only now seeing the children from the immagrants of that time enter the workforce and provide the government with an ROI. AFLW is a long game in terms of financial independence.

And totally agree on great athletes and being a totally different game and if one does judge it on its own merits it actually is great to watch. I like the slower speed at which the game is played at.
The economics of woke culture.

I like it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
takeaway
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 2:44pm
weird aren't they..one suggests that they have little or no interest in something then are accused of having agendas.

the only thing I'm interested about this thread is that I enjoy letting people know how disenterested I am :) and will do so till the Men's footy starts :)
Good. Let's see ... 17 now, ... you should notch up a century.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 3:40pm
The Fireman wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 2:44pm

Good. Let's see ... 17 now, ... you should notch up a century.
could do , unless of course the Men's footy starts before I reach the target. :)

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

Furphy wrote: Mon 10 Feb 2020 8:29am
chook23 wrote: Sat 08 Feb 2020 11:09pm
Gershwin wrote: Sat 08 Feb 2020 6:20pm
The Fireman wrote: Sat 08 Feb 2020 5:49pm
Laurie wrote: Sat 08 Feb 2020 5:25pmWho cares.
:lol: :lol:
You would have to be a sad sack if you didn't support a group of girls who are playing in the red. black and white colours of St Kilda, who train at Moorabbin and are OUR AFLW team.
Go Sainters!
Not a sad sack but the aflw is just rubbish........an agenda being pushed that is just so ordinary to watch
This

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

asiu
Saintsational Legend

thank you

:lol: thats my laugh for this arvo

hehehe

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 4:28pm Trigger warning in 3... 2... 1...

:)

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/the-p ... 9fc549879e
great idea

takeaway
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 4:26pm

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

You would have to be a sad sack if you didn't support a group of girls who are playing in the red. black and white colours of St Kilda, who train at Moorabbin and are OUR AFLW team.
Go Sainters!
Not a sad sack but the aflw is just rubbish........an agenda being pushed that is just so ordinary to watch
This
Still can't pick up where EVIL agenda comes in.

takeaway
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 4:28pm Trigger warning in 3... 2... 1...

:)

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/the-p ... 9fc549879e
So...

AFLM
AFLW
AFLTGM
AFLTGW
AFLTGP
AFLGNC .... and about 40 others. Plenty of matches to attend !!!

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

just wondering did you and your wife go watch your kids play junior sport
or maybe just you - her chain wouldnt reach past the front door...
or neither of you cuz obviously it wasnt up to scratch

:) think that will invoke a reaction to kick the fireman into hyper-drive numbers

Seeya
freely
SS Hall of Fame

The most amusing thing is the idea of hardened longtime Saints supporters insisting that they wouldn't dream of watching anything but the highest quality elite sport! LOL. Good luck with that!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 5:25pm
The_Dud wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 4:26pm

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

Go Sainters!
This
Still can't pick up where EVIL agenda comes in.
‘Evil’ is the negative word I chose to insert because they’re obviously not upset about an ‘agenda’ that is positive in their mind.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 2:38pm

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

Dud, It's not evil per se; there are benefits to everything (act now, and make excuses later). But it is poitical, idelogical and very very opportunistic.

The "agenda" is that power can distract and divide everyone (divide et impera) with issues around identity as opposed to issues and problems around class and economic opportunity which have been created by policies over the 50 years that really only benefits the 0.1% and have created a massive income inequality and a serious wealth distribution problem.

The "left" has lost its way because most working-class and poor people couldn’t care less about identity politics issues. Which by the way are only really aimed at a very narrow demographic and it usually isn’t blue collar working class women.

It's also virtue signalling to win votes, market share, promote your brand/reputation, whatever.
So the AFL isn’t allowed to do the right thing because it happens to also be a good business decision?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 6:04pm

emasculated individuals
against the AFLW product
knuckle draggers

just wondering did you and your wife go watch your kids play junior sport
or maybe just you - her chain wouldnt reach past the front door...
or neither of you cuz obviously it wasnt up to scratch

:) think that will invoke a reaction to kick the fireman into hyper-drive numbers
hahaha... watching your kids play sport and watching elite level of sport are 2 different planets....you struggle with the difference between Family support and entertainment.

Admittedly I enjoyed watching my kids play sport but for totally diff reasons. Actually I feel a bit silly debating this... any hooo my hyper drive numbers will cease on this thread when the real stuff starts :)

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 6:17pm

So the AFL isn’t allowed to do the right thing because it happens to also be a good business decision?
The AFL can come up with as many business decisions it likes ..if one of them happened to be watching grass grow i will use my prerogative and give it a wide berth :)

PS how many am I upto now ?
Last edited by The Fireman on Tue 11 Feb 2020 6:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 6:09pm The most amusing thing is the idea of hardened longtime Saints supporters insisting that they wouldn't dream of watching anything but the highest quality elite sport! LOL. Good luck with that!
low blow