“I was never going anywhere”, Carlisle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

“I was never going anywhere”, Carlisle

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/i-w ... 53sve.html

Jake Carlisle says he never had any intention of leaving St Kilda and is primed for a 2020 campaign as part of what he has declared the strongest Saints squad he has been involved with....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: “I was never going anywhere”, Carlisle

Good read. We may have wanted to trade him but I do know for a fact that it's true he never wanted to leave. He was a major part in convincing Ryder to choose us over going back to the Injectors (before Hill came on the radar and locked it in).

Go you red, black & white warriors
damienc
Club Player

Really liked this from Carlisle:

"We have got the right people here to win games and, if we win games, we are going to be in a position to win finals or whatever it may be. We just have to keep ticking the boxes and get there first and see what can happen."

And this about Max King which is probably Carlisle being very generous. Even if he was, it sounds good:

"He is looking really good. He is fit, he is strong. I think his knee has been pretty good and his ankle from last year has been really good," Carlisle said.

"I don't like playing on him at training. It is pretty good to hand him over at times because he is going to be a good player."

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I was never going anywhere
Code for
Only one club dumb enough to pay me the coin I'm on .

In red white and black from 73
lewdogs
Club Player

mr six o'clock wrote: Mon 20 Jan 2020 7:51pm I was never going anywhere
Code for
Carlisle is a gun. Was just about our best in 2017 and 18. Deserves his coin and will be a massive positive for us this year.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

lewdogs wrote: Mon 20 Jan 2020 8:31pm
mr six o'clock wrote: Mon 20 Jan 2020 7:51pm I was never going anywhere
Code for
Carlisle is a gun. Was just about our best in 2017 and 18. Deserves his coin and will be a massive positive for us this year.
I think people forget he was injured last year and it was surprising he got back at all. Big Jake is a gun indeed.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Yes, a gun - if only he could be bothered to fire.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Tue 21 Jan 2020 11:33am Yes, a gun - if only he could be bothered to fire.
This year will tell.

lewdogs
Club Player

freely wrote: Tue 21 Jan 2020 11:33am Yes, a gun - if only he could be bothered to fire.
Haha came back from a serious back injury last year, probably wasn't even expected to play a game. Before that he was generally in our best few every week. Pretty harsh.

barneyboyz
Club Player

lewdogs wrote: Tue 21 Jan 2020 1:22pm
Haha came back from a serious back injury last year, probably wasn't even expected to play a game. Before that he was generally in our best few every week. Pretty harsh.
I can see it from both points of view. He has the talent, and if he had the desperation as shown by Josh Battle in that game late last year (oppo escapes me now), he would be the best

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Thank our stars. There were times last season he looked flat footed imo, but he is still in our top five I think. Dread to image what a team like the Eagles could do with him.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I will back Carlisle to have his best season for us this year. I believe he has matured, is in control of his craft and has the coaches and players around him to focus on his best game. His best might not be what some expect but to an attacking midfield under pressure, I imagine he will cause some headaches.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

His back was stuffed last year. Give him a break

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... a95f03ebb2

"St Kilda recruited five players from rival clubs in a bumper trade period, and almost added Jake Carlisle to its list of traded stars — if you believe the rumour mill. Now the defender reveals what really happened.

St Kilda defender Jake Carlisle says he had no interest in seeking a trade from the club last season as he eyes a full recovery from his debilitating back problems.

Carlisle, 28, had surgery on his back in March and was underdone as he made a quicker-than-expected return to the side in Round 17.

The former Bomber had been linked to a move to another club as part of the Saints’ significant overhaul in the exchange period which netted it Bradley Hill, Zak Jones, Dougal Howard, Paddy Ryder and Dan Butler.

Defender Jake Carlisle says he never sought a trade from St Kilda last year.

But Carlisle opened up on his situation for the first time on Monday, saying he had no plans to seek a third club.

“I was never going anywhere,” Carlisle said.

“I just wanted to obviously get through the year because it had been tough and (I wanted to) sort of reset this off season and go again.

“All has been positive so far this year, which is good. I don’t worry about the outside noise anymore.

“I was happy to be here and obviously trigger my contract (extension) last year.”

Feeling much stronger and less restricted this summer, Carlisle is set to partner former Power backman Howard and Callum Wilkie in the defensive half this season.

But it’s at the other end of the ground that the spotlight will quickly fall on gun youngster Max King after overcoming a knee injury late last season.

Carlisle said the No. 4 draft pick, who is expected to debut in the season-opener against North Melbourne, had been a handful in match simulation.

“He is fit, he is strong and I think his knee has been pretty good and I think his ankle from last year has been really good,” Carlisle said

“I don’t like playing on him at training so it’s pretty good handing him over (to other teammates) at times because he is going to be a pretty good player.”

Former Swan Daniel Hannebery is another who will be out to make an early impression after leg problems marred his first season as a Saint last year.

Carlisle said the ball magnet was in great shape.

“He is looking good, looks like he has trimmed down a bit, and he has got a tan,”

“He is contributing with his voice and experience and it is good to have him out there and hopefully come Round 1 he can play all 22 games.”

minneapolis
Club Player

I think even considering his back surgery my impression is that Carlisle is playing for himself. He knows how to do just enough to look like he is playing but not any more.

Ratten has a task to do this off season and that is to find out how to motivate and challenge Carlisle. I would be frank and tell him he is not a lock for Round 1. Then perhaps play him for the first two rounds and then give him a jolt and drop him for a couple of games.

I think that Carlisle has to be like the rest of the guys, playing flat out for the team. He would be happier if he did, it is just a matter if he can see that.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Carslile at his best is in our top 5 easily, he's needed to mature by getting over himself and has been the big fish in a little pond at the club until now and so maybe with a few strong swimmers around him his over confindence can be exploited by helping him realise his full potential.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Hopefully a full pre season will have him back to his best this year.