January focus

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

January focus

From afl.com.au

Getting the Marshall-Ryder combo right

Rowan Marshall was a revelation for the Saints last year, but with Paddy Ryder arriving from Port Adelaide, St Kilda will be putting a lot of work into getting the ruck-forward minutes between that duo right. Ryder averaged just less than a goal per game for Port Adelaide in 2019, while Marshall managed eight goals from 20 games. With Josh Bruce now at the Bulldogs, goals from the resting ruckman is no longer a bonus, but an absolute must-have for St Kilda. - Jourdan Canil

wally
Club Player

Re: January focus

I think this is an important point going forward but I cant see either one being able to gut run up and back while "resting". Ideally we will not be playing the game in the back half as much. It will be interesting to see what the starting 18 looks like.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

I'm more interested in September focus

james rose
Club Player

wally wrote: Sat 18 Jan 2020 7:03pm I think this is an important point going forward but I cant see either one being able to gut run up and back while "resting". Ideally we will not be playing the game in the back half as much. It will be interesting to see what the starting 18 looks like.
Agree with this. Think both will need stints on the bench like any other midfield/forward.

Which is probably a good thing as it means our forward line will have different looks throughout the game potentially causing headaches for the opposition structure and will keep the defenders on their toes.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Average TOG for 2019 of some rucks:

RoMa = 86.2%
Brody Grundy = 89.1%
Max Gawn = 85.1%
Toby Nankervis = 70.1%
Tom Hickey = 71.6%
Stephan Martin = 81.2%
Shane Mumford = 81.6%
Dustin Martin = 83.4%

I expect our rucks will have to spend similar amounts of time in defence as they did under Richo. I think the mechanism into the forward line will still be the switch and sling shot method out of the backline which is standard operating procedure for most AFL coaches.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 19 Jan 2020 11:08am Average TOG for 2019 of some rucks:

RoMa = 86.2%
Brody Grundy = 89.1%
Max Gawn = 85.1%
Toby Nankervis = 70.1%
Tom Hickey = 71.6%
Stephan Martin = 81.2%
Shane Mumford = 81.6%
Dustin Martin = 83.4%

I expect our rucks will have to spend similar amounts of time in defence as they did under Richo. I think the mechanism into the forward line will still be the switch and sling shot method out of the backline which is standard operating procedure for most AFL coaches.
The addition of Howard who, while not a distance runner, is a very athletic shut down backman challenges this notion a little. He can ruck the backline but more importantly he frees up Carlisle who is a great reader of the play and gun interceptor. Wilkie, Battle and Robbo will also extend the flexibility down back in KD posts.

Statistically, having our fair share of the ball isn't the biggest problem. What we do with it and how we score is. Having Marshall or Ryder as midfield marking targets in the ruck, while the other is deep forward, will alleviate the loss of the running Bruce, it may cause problems for oppo rucks running forward and draw oppo tall defenders out of defence.
Further Battle, Robbo and Wilkie are all capable of 'swinging' from defense to attack and are all good kicks.
Billings, Hill, Jones and Clark will be crucial in transition from defence and would be very dangerous at the feet of Ryder and or Marshall leading up through the middle of the ground on rebounds. It has the capacity to change the attacking strategy massively

Secret Kiel
Club Player

It's hard to imagine a game plan that doesn't intend to win ruck contests in the backline. That's not meant to be disrespectful to Howard and his rucking capabilities but I'm hoping Marshall will still be attending most of the ruck contests when the game is hot. If we get on top maybe RoMa can aford the luxury of rolling back one kick away from the stoppage and be the target to get over the zone. But it all depends on the team, the game context and who Howard's opponent is. If he's on a decent forward in a tight contest he wouldn't want to be too disrespectful by joining a ruck contest.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

RoMa = 86.2%
Brody Grundy = 89.1%
Max Gawn = 85.1%
Toby Nankervis = 70.1%
Tom Hickey = 71.6%
Stephan Martin = 81.2%
Shane Mumford = 81.6%
Dustin Martin = 83.4%

Not sure Dusty played rucked ;)

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Secret Kiel
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 19 Jan 2020 9:18pm

RoMa = 86.2%
Brody Grundy = 89.1%
Max Gawn = 85.1%
Toby Nankervis = 70.1%
Tom Hickey = 71.6%
Stephan Martin = 81.2%
Shane Mumford = 81.6%
Dustin Martin = 83.4%

Not sure Dusty played rucked ;)
I added his name for the keen observer and to compare against an elite midfielder/forward player.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 19 Jan 2020 2:06pm It's hard to imagine a game plan that doesn't intend to win ruck contests in the backline. That's not meant to be disrespectful to Howard and his rucking capabilities but I'm hoping Marshall will still be attending most of the ruck contests when the game is hot. If we get on top maybe RoMa can aford the luxury of rolling back one kick away from the stoppage and be the target to get over the zone. But it all depends on the team, the game context and who Howard's opponent is. If he's on a decent forward in a tight contest he wouldn't want to be too disrespectful by joining a ruck contest.
Training reports have indicated that Howard is playing ruck and deep defensive posts in match simulation, while our ruckman are doing the opposite. I guess that isn't a clear indicator of intent and might just be for balance in numbers. However, it is more than interesting considering Howard's view on rucking and playing forward at Port.

I also can't help wondering if he would be an improvement on Bruce, even if just down back or in Ryder's absence. I also found Rattens comments on Marshall and Ryder perhaps sharing the ruck more evenly than what we might expect intriguing.

I'd prefer we match Marshall up predominantly againts the best ruckman in the comp but I am excited about the possibilities against other teams.

Obviously Ryder won't be a long term solution but Howard and Bell certainly will.