Ryan Byrnes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ryan Byrnes

According to Buckenara

From herald.sun .com.au

"37. RYAN BYRNES

181cm, 80kg, Vic Metro/Sandringham Dragons, midfielder

Buckenara says: Byrnes’s performances this year were really consistent as a midfielder who wins the ball and hurts the opposition with his acceleration and foot skills. He regularly wins first possession at stoppages, using his speed and agility to break the lines and has good vision to assess his options and hit targets inside 50. There’s a lot to like about his footy and it wouldn’t surprise to see him taken earlier.

Plays like: Jack Steven

Stats: Disposals 25.6, contested possessions 12.1, clearances 5.5, inside 50s 5.6, tackles 3.5, score involvements 5.9, ranking points 120 (NAB League)
Jack Mahony handballs under pressure for Sandringham Dragons.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

kid looks like a magnet

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 12:13pm Huge mistake and has me reconsidering whether to commit to paying for all 7 memberships next year.

f****** really pissed off.

The premiers thought he was worth a spot on their list but the high and mighty perennial losers didn't.
Really?
You wouldn’t renew your membership because of who we didn’t take at pick 55?

I’m surprised you’ve lasted this long.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 2:56pm
saynta wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 12:13pm Huge mistake and has me reconsidering whether to commit to paying for all 7 memberships next year.

The premiers thought he was worth a spot on their list but the high and mighty perennial losers didn't.
Really?

I guess they weren't still teaching english comprehension when you went to school. :roll:

I said i was reconsidering whether or not to renew ALL 7 memberships next year.

That doesn't mean that I wont renew one or two of them. Just not all 7.

I have watched Biggy ever since he joined our NGA program. I am extremely pissed off with the saints at the moment. will take me some time to calm down and your comments are unhelpful.

ps.. I actually paid for 9 memberships this year. Won't be doing that next year.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

B.M wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 1:58pm Not sure it’s a guessing game

Most of these kids have been tracked from u15s

The stats indicate that most clubs and draft experts get it right nowadays
I get that but how do you deem success?
How much does the development from the coaching team once they hit the AFL make a difference?
Or the clubs need through injury etc? Spencer White played at the highest level did we get that right?
Roughead was drafted as a key back but played as a forward all his career? Was that getting it right? (long shot but im trying to make point)
I don't think it will ever be black and white.
We are talking about someone who got selected in the 50s and newish to the game.
Nothing short of a guess based on athletic ability.
Hardly worth not renewing 7 memberships over!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
saynta
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 3:25pm

I get that but how do you deem success?
How much does the development from the coaching team once they hit the AFL make a difference?
Or the clubs need through injury etc? Spencer White played at the highest level did we get that right?
Roughead was drafted as a key back but played as a forward all his career? Was that getting it right? (long shot but im trying to make point)
I don't think it will ever be black and white.
We are talking about someone who got selected in the 50s and newish to the game.
Nothing short of a guess based on athletic ability.
Hardly worth not renewing 7 memberships over!
Obviously I disagree.

Anyway I said not all 7.

SMS
Club Player

Biggy will be s*** anyway. He aint no footy player.
We would know more than anyone. fwiw the tiger team were laughing when they called his name and when we didnt match bid they went stone faced and kinda sad.
Says it all. I think THEY f***ed up.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

Really?

I guess they weren't still teaching english comprehension when you went to school. :roll:

I have watched Biggy ever since he joined our NGA program. I am extremely pissed off with the saints at the moment. will take me some time to calm down and your comments are unhelpful.

ps.. I actually paid for 9 memberships this year. Won't be doing that next year.
Whether it’s 1, 7 or 9, whether it’s yours or someone else’s, pick 55 is not worth having a hissy fit over.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 4:13pm
saynta wrote:

Really?

Whether it’s 1, 7 or 9, whether it’s yours or someone else’s, pick 55 is not worth having a hissy fit over.
Im not having a hissy fit merely cutting my cloth to fit my mood. and saving a packet in the process. :D :lol:

Besides letting the club know that i don't agree with their decision.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 4:34pm
saynta wrote:

Really?

Im not having a hissy fit merely cutting my cloth to fit my mood. and saving a packet in the process. :D :lol:

Hmm. I feel for the recipients of the memberships or maybe they only have them because you want them to follow your team and they won't care. Good one. Should really hurt the club and make them take notice.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 4:45pm
saynta wrote:

Really?

Hmm. I feel for the recipients of the memberships or maybe they only have them because you want them to follow your team and they won't care. Good one. Should really hurt the club and make them take notice.
Wrong again. I buy them for interstate family members who follow the saints but never go to games.

I do it to boost membership numbers and really to give the saints a financial benefit in the process.

I think one or two of them might get pissed off when we eventually make the grannie as they have been guaranteed a ticket in the past.

I think they will notice. The saints membership people that is.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 1:04pm More interested in discussing Byrnes. Quite possibly a steal if you believe some phantom drafts. A genuine mid, not a half back who can become a mid. Many on here have bemoaned our propensity to pick half backs with the view to turning them into midfielders. Well, in consecutive drafts we've picked two genuine clearance players in Bytel and Byrnes. Should be pleasing to most. Byrnes is reportedly very quick, which is something our midfield has been lacking (apart from Jack Steven) in recent years.
Finally we have learnt. If you want a mid draft a mid not a half back who may eventually become a mid. I expect nothing from these two as they are late in the draft but Byrnes has shown something according to people in the know so maybe a pleasant surprise coming out way
I am hoping someone gives our rookie a feed. He has to run around in the rain to get wet

wally
Club Player

No one would have expected Wilkie to go so well grabbing opportunity with both hands.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 4:51pm
saynta wrote:

Really?

Wrong again. I buy them for interstate family members who follow the saints but never go to games.

I do it to boost membership numbers and really to give the saints a financial benefit in the process.

I think one or two of them might get pissed off when we eventually make the grannie as they have been guaranteed a ticket in the past.

I make a similar.contribution myself and I also understand your frustration and you are entitled to it I guess.
Mine are for my children and their partners. We are all interstate. They all love the Saints but might not care to afford the memberships for themselves because I also pay for their trips to games and to visit my family in Melbourne when we all meet up at Marvel once or twice a year.
This year a grandchild will join the group in May and I will buy another. My wife and I have discussed the cost and whether we should continue to do it. The resolve was that we would never stop. We do it to maintain a family connection that started 3 generations ago. Im sure you understand.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 6:43pm
saynta wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 4:51pm
saynta wrote:

Really?

I make a similar.contribution myself and I also understand your frustration and you are entitled to it I guess.
Mine are for my children and their partners. We are all interstate. They all love the Saints but might not care to afford the memberships for themselves because I also pay for their trips to games and to visit my family in Melbourne when we all meet up at Marvel once or twice a year.
This year a grandchild will join the group in May and I will buy another. My wife and I have discussed the cost and whether we should continue to do it. The resolve was that we would never stop. We do it to maintain a family connection that started 3 generations ago. Im sure you understand.
Yes, I do understand. Completely. Unfortunately it is the only means I have to show my displeasure.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Byrnes looks a smart pickup
Leo development at best
Biggy surprising but then again we’ve had enough time to assess him - all this ‘he could be the next big thing’ may be a tad overstated - only time will tell I spose

#1 Ryder fan
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Given our pick numbers you have to be happy with Sandys biggest accumator

Re Biggy - if our guys don't think he is good enough then so be it - his brother wasn't good enough so will back our recruiters

Pick late 60s for an outside mid with great skills ....... let's see ......... Kade Simpson comes to mind

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

12 inches went for pick 54.

Stinger - if he was that good, why did he go that deep??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Meh...no Biggy

Gershwin
Club Player

Just came across this interesting article about Ryan Byrnes:

BY THE SKIN OF HIS TEETH: BYRNES MADE TO EARN SENSATIONAL RISE
Sam Bunn

It’s late February, 2018, and the Sandringham Dragons coaching staff is making the final cutthroat calls for spots on the 72-player list.
One name to weigh up is a largely-unknown midfielder, Ryan Byrnes.
The Cheltenham Panthers product had just undergone a gruelling pre-season to give himself a glimmer of hope after missing the Dragons' Under-16 program.
During one of the last training sessions of the pre-season, a group of boys were called in to find out they didn’t make the final squad.
Byrnes wasn’t one of them.

It was an “ecstatic” feeling and a moment that set the course for the now-star midfielder’s meteoric rise.

“I didn’t even make the Sandy Under-16 squad so my goal after that was to work really hard to get onto the Sandy bottom-age list because I felt I was coming from a little bit behind everyone else,” Byrnes said.
“That bottom-age preseason was huge, a lot of work away from training, a lot of running and gym work. It was my biggest preseason to date.
“I just scraped through in the end which was really important to me because I felt like if I could get onto the list and was able to play then I was confident in my ability to keep getting games and play good footy.”

Good fortune – albeit achieved through hard work – again fell his way in Round 5 last year when Liam Stocker pulled out late on Saturday morning to hand Byrnes an unlikely debut.
Then in Round 14 came his realisation moment. A 39-disposal best-on-ground performance against the Ranges in Box Hill proved he belonged.
“That Box Hill game for me, especially as a bottom-ager, was a huge realisation moment that I could exceed everyone else’s expectations and my own,” he said.
“It was definitely a turning point for me where I reckon I clued onto the fact that if I put the hard work in and really stuck at it that something could come out of this.”

Six months later and Byrnes was named captain of the 2019 side, having hardly missed a game since that fateful day at Trevor Barker Oval.
The explosive midfielder went on to average 26 disposals in the NAB League, represent Vic Metro in the National Championships, and lead St Bede’s College to their first Herald Sun Shield.

And it came from the will to work harder than the next player.
Byrnes was always one of the first out on the training track, whether it was to work on his ball skills or to get that little bit of extra fitness.
A prime example of this came on New Year’s morning, when good mate and fellow Dragon George Grey arrived for a kick with his mate Ryan, only to see him exhausting himself with some early morning laps of the oval.
Ask Ryan and it was a seven-or-eight km run. Ask George and it was more like three. Talk about sticking by your mates!
“It might not even have done that much for me physically, but mentally I like to have that little bit over everyone else as much as I can from that mental standpoint as well as a physical standpoint,” Byrnes said.
“It comes down to a bit of competitiveness but at the same time what’s got me this far in footy is my ability to work hard. I don’t think I’m as naturally talented physically as some of the other blokes but my hard work ethic is what’s got me here.”

And to the surprise of nobody, he won’t let his AFL dream slip if his name doesn’t get called out on draft night.
“I’m hopeful. It’s a dream I’ve had for ages. There’s no indication where or when (I might get picked up) so I’m just going to have my fingers crossed and we’ll see what happens,” he said.
“If I don’t (get picked up) I hope to be playing VFL and training at a VFL club next year and keep giving it a crack.”

Whatever happens, you know Byrnes has given it his all."

Probably the thing that concerns me a little from this article is his admission that he is not as naturally talented as others. Working hard can only get you so far when you have reached the pointy end of the competition.

summertime and the living is easy ........
SMS
Club Player

Clark, Gresham, Bytel, Byrnes, Steel, Ross, Hanneberry
hopefully our premiership midfield in 2022
along with Billings, Hill, ZJones - Looks alright.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Mon 02 Dec 2019 12:54pm Probably the thing that concerns me a little from this article is his admission that he is not as naturally talented as others. Working hard can only get you so far when you have reached the pointy end of the competition.
I take that as being modest and self aware. I think working hard will get him past a lot of his peers and on track to hopefully a long career.

wally
Club Player

Sounds like he has the hunger

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Then why do we suck at it?
I guess we aren't most clubs.
We have some recent decent picks but the past 10 yrs is overwhelmingly poor, which is what happens at most clubs.