Facts behind how Hanners broke his ankle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Facts behind how Hanners broke his ankle

Puts the lie to the s*** printed on this forum.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 2ef955139b

"Hannebery could do little but cheer the players on after breaking his foot last month during his time off.

While “flat” and “frustrated” at the setback, the former Swan said he was still only “two or three weeks” behind where he otherwise would have been.

“It was a bizarre accident, really,” he said.

“I was at my sister’s fiance’s place and he was renovating their back yard.
New Saints Brad Hill and Paddy Ryder join Jake Carlisle for some running drills on Monday. Pic: Getty Images

“There was this big, large step off the balcony onto the concrete.

“I’ve got to make sure he gets that fixed because my sister did the same thing, where she didn’t break her ankle but did a bad roll.

“As I went to step over the balcony step and onto the asphalt, I did a fairly simple ankle roll and my weight shifted forward and straight away I felt a crack.

“I tried to walk on it and I knew I was in a fair bit of trouble and rang the doctors.”

A scan revealed the break, but Hannebery said he was focusing on the positives.

“I was really flattened, especially given my past few years of injury troubles,” he said.

“And especially because I was feeling really good.

“But it shouldn’t put too much of a dent on my pre-season considering I wasn’t going to do a hell of a lot pre-Christmas anyway.

“I was going to get managed and looked after a little bit anyway, so I’m looking forward to pressing hard during the Christmas break and in early January.”

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Facts behind how Hanners broke his ankle

ps. Ed Phillis took out the time trial for the second year running.

Doulton Langlands and Josh Battle rounded out the top three.

New recruit Dougal Howard was lapped in his first appearance in Saints colours.

More here: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-18/ ... time-trial

Secret Kiel
Club Player

I smell a rat, I think it is worse than they are telling us, I think he's a paraplegic but the club are just spin doctoring this.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

See I’m of the other POV...

I think this is a great sign that he will have his best season ever. 100% ideal way to start the off-season and anyone who is even remotely concerned about injuries or history is an idiot

Secret Kiel
Club Player

that's it, I'm buying a membership, or in my case another one.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I reckon that's the way it happened but add that he was as full as a fairies phone book.

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

I love how upset it makes you and others that some are justifiably skeptical about this whole thing.

Also the 'facts' surrounding his injury are simply his description of the event. Nothing new has been learned here. It would be a case of serious misconduct if any substance was involved in this little accident and a betrayal of the investment the club has made in him so obviously, if there's more to the story, then it isn't likely he'd be that forthcoming with that info.

(Again, like I said, I know nothing more than anyone else and am just speculating.)

I'm a loyal Saints member and I have a right to be concerned about what the club and its staff are doing.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
outside66
Club Player

roskilde wrote: Mon 18 Nov 2019 4:37pm I love how upset it makes you and others that some are justifiably skeptical about this whole thing.

Also the 'facts' surrounding his injury are simply his description of the event. Nothing new has been learned here. It would be a case of serious misconduct if any substance was involved in this little accident and a betrayal of the investment the club has made in him so obviously, if there's more to the story, then it isn't likely he'd be that forthcoming with that info.

(Again, like I said, I know nothing more than anyone else and am just speculating.)

I'm a loyal Saints member and I have a right to be concerned about what the club and its staff are doing.
+1

If that is "the facts" and there wasn't anything else involved then I'd eat my beanie.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote: Mon 18 Nov 2019 4:37pm I love how upset it makes you and others that some are justifiably skeptical about this whole thing.

Are you justifiably skeptical of all players ..... or just Hannebery?

Serious misconduct for having a few ice cold lagers in the off season ........ I mean seriously?

He broke his foot tripping over a step in the backyard of his sister's house ..... this s*** happens everyday around world ...... end of

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Devilhead wrote: Mon 18 Nov 2019 5:14pm

Serious misconduct for having a few ice cold lagers in the off season ........ I mean seriously?

He broke his foot tripping over a step in the backyard of his sister's house ..... this s*** happens everyday around world ...... end of
Way to straw man my position. Obviously I have no problem with him drinking in the off season. I'm also quite realistic about the use of recreational drugs by players. I'm not trying to be puritanical.

However -- and it's unbelievable that this has to be pointed out -- if the use of these substances negatively impacts their ability to professionally apply themselves to the job they're paid very well to do then that's a serious problem.

(More so given he's a player who's already suffered from chronic injuries.)

Why is this a controversial statement to some? I really can't understand it.

And this is also mine:
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

roskilde wrote: Mon 18 Nov 2019 4:37pm

may I ask a few questions ?
What is your lager vs broken ankle ratio ?
Are you on 800k pa ?
If you are - did you perform satisfactorily in your first year of contract ?

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

oh P.S
Did you sign said contract with a reputation of being a "bit of a party boy" ?

Seeya
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Mon 18 Nov 2019 5:30pm
roskilde wrote: Mon 18 Nov 2019 4:37pm

may I ask a few questions ?
That is your lager vs broken ankle ratio ?
Are you on 800k pa ?
If you are - did you perform satisfactorily in your first year of contract ?
Why ask a question about permission to question and then put forth questions without waiting for an answer to your question?

Not as significant as the non lager ratio

No but I assume lots of employees who are work and party hard like lots of employees who aren't - they also allowed to have a few quiet beers in their siblings backyard during work holidays

That would be up to my employer to decide

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Mon 18 Nov 2019 5:32pm oh P.S
Did you sign said contract with a reputation of being a "bit of a party boy" ?
That would be half of the world's population

Now please ...... no more questions :twisted:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

:D
No one on this forum or anything they post upsets me in the slightest roskilled but I love exposing their bulls*** made up rubbish.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 18 Nov 2019 6:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

there is a fine line between paranoid and 'justifiably sceptical'. They are paid well because they make their employer a lot of money, a real lot of money.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote: Mon 18 Nov 2019 5:25pm

Way to straw man my position. Obviously I have no problem with him drinking in the off season. I'm also quite realistic about the use of recreational drugs by players. I'm not trying to be puritanical.

However -- and it's unbelievable that this has to be pointed out -- if the use of these substances negatively impacts their ability to professionally apply themselves to the job they're paid very well to do then that's a serious problem.

He tripped over a step ...... loaded or not loaded ....... this is an every day occurence for millions of people in the world

Do you professionally apply yourself to your job 24 hours a day?

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Mon 18 Nov 2019 6:34pm

:D
No one on this forum or anything they post upsets me in the slightest roskilled but I love exposing their bulls*** made up rubbish.
Fair enough.

(I like Roskilled BTW. Makes me sound menacing!) :)

However you haven't exposed anything you've simply posted Hannebery's own account of what happened. What would you expect him to say if the the actual circumstances were more damning?

'Oh I was a bit pissed and stumbled over a step, lol, don't worry though be back to training in no time!'

And this is also mine:
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

burp

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Devilhead wrote: Mon 18 Nov 2019 6:48pm
roskilde wrote: Mon 18 Nov 2019 5:25pm

He tripped over a step ...... loaded or not loaded ....... this is an every day occurence for millions of people in the world

Do you professionally apply yourself to your job 24 hours a day?
It's an everyday occurrence for the young, elderly and frail to have accidents which result in fractures in their home. For everyone else it's quite rare outside of intoxication. Hence my skepticism.

And this is also mine:
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he was pissed for sure...a man that balanced and skilled just tripping over a step.

He was heading to the fridge for another CC and dry and fell over.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

In a year's ago I broke my foot when I tripped over a bag.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote: Mon 18 Nov 2019 7:02pm
It's an everyday occurrence for the young, elderly and frail to have accidents which result in fractures in their home. For everyone else it's quite rare outside of intoxication. Hence my skepticism.

Though it was not his home. He was visiting.

Uneven step heights are a hazard and in building new dwellings, buildings and the like standards need to be met.

He may or may not have been pissed, or he may or may or not have been distracted by a multitude of reasons. But in either case people do break bones from an even or unexpected steps.

One of my BIL's broke his ankle from just stepping off a kerb on a roadway when he was in his late 30's.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 18 Nov 2019 8:00pm
roskilde wrote: Mon 18 Nov 2019 7:02pm

Though it was not his home. He was visiting.

Uneven step heights are a hazard and in building new dwellings, buildings and the like standards need to be met.

He may or may not have been pissed, or he may or may or not have been distracted by a multitude of reasons. But in either case people do break bones from an even or unexpected steps.

One of my BIL's broke his ankle from just stepping off a kerb on a roadway when he was in his late 30's.
+1. The article said he and his sister stepped off the balcony but the step was larger than he thought as the BIL was renovating. "There was this big, large step off the balcony onto the concrete."

Regulations require steps to have even heights and no more than a certain height. Sounds like the BIL should be paying Hanna's wages until he returns to full training as I'm not sure why we're paying him for his own mishap.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 18 Nov 2019 6:34pm
No one on this forum or anything they post upsets me in the slightest...
:lol: :lol: :lol: