Jack Newnes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Newnes

Special wrote: Thu 07 Nov 2019 5:14pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 03 Nov 2019 12:35pm Interesting that we give a pick & 3 year contract to a fringe player from a dud club like Melbourne and let Newnes go for nothing.

Is Newnes the answer to our climb up the ladder?
Probably not, but he’s a better more flexible and respected (IMO) player and club man than Kent & probably Butler.

Was better value last year than Hannebery as well.
Don’t care re Butler and Kent. (Kent is mediocre at best). Both at least are forwards and goal kickers.

Newnes is an absolute spud and I’m delighted we got rid of him. Don’t know why we offered him 2 years - looks like we should’ve shopped him around during trade week and if we were smarter a third round pick would’ve come our way. But maybe we had too much on our plate and Jill was just icing if we got something in return.
We couldn't shop Newnes for any value, he was a RFA which meant if he found a home the AFL would provide compensation.

He got no offers so left as a DFA so probably ended up at carlton on minimum coin.

Not a Newnes fan, but of Newnes is a spud what is Kent?
Newnes is a better footballer and more versatile than Kent.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 07 Nov 2019 6:00pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 03 Nov 2019 12:35pm Interesting that we give a pick & 3 year contract to a fringe player from a dud club like Melbourne and let Newnes go for nothing.

Probably not, but he’s a better more flexible and respected (IMO) player and club man than Kent & probably Butler.

Don’t care re Butler and Kent. (Kent is mediocre at best). Both at least are forwards and goal kickers.

Newnes is an absolute spud and I’m delighted we got rid of him. Don’t know why we offered him 2 years - looks like we should’ve shopped him around during trade week and if we were smarter a third round pick would’ve come our way. But maybe we had too much on our plate and Jill was just icing if we got something in return.
We couldn't shop Newnes for any value, he was a RFA which meant if he found a home the AFL would provide compensation.

He got no offers so left as a DFA so probably ended up at carlton on minimum coin.

Arguably Kent earned his pay packet in 2019, so he resets in 2020 at the start of his 2nd year of a 3 year deal and has it all before him to prove himself. Personally I think he showed enough in 2019 to suggest he can provide an ROI for the remainder of his contract. If he stays injury free he will certainly be putting pressure on spots in the best 22 and if we have enough of these types all pushing hard for positions that have high competition then that bodes well for team performance.

lefty
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 07 Nov 2019 8:54pm Arguably Kent earned his pay packet in 2019, so he resets in 2020 at the start of his 2nd year of a 3 year deal and has it all before him to prove himself. Personally I think he showed enough in 2019 to suggest he can provide an ROI for the remainder of his contract. If he stays injury free he will certainly be putting pressure on spots in the best 22 and if we have enough of these types all pushing hard for positions that have high competition then that bodes well for team performance.
Newnes is a 5x better player than Kent, Kent looks too slow and too bulky.

Newnes was also extremely durable, classic St.kilda giving away reliable 100+ game players for nothing in return, what's that again... oh we've traded future picks for 2020 with little in the bank, classic.

This is like the Billy Longer is better than Stanley and Hickey debacle... pfft.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

lefty wrote: Fri 08 Nov 2019 2:01am
Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 07 Nov 2019 8:54pm Arguably Kent earned his pay packet in 2019, so he resets in 2020 at the start of his 2nd year of a 3 year deal and has it all before him to prove himself. Personally I think he showed enough in 2019 to suggest he can provide an ROI for the remainder of his contract. If he stays injury free he will certainly be putting pressure on spots in the best 22 and if we have enough of these types all pushing hard for positions that have high competition then that bodes well for team performance.
Newnes is a 5x better player than Kent, Kent looks too slow and too bulky.

Newnes was also extremely durable, classic St.kilda giving away reliable 100+ game players for nothing in return, what's that again... oh we've traded future picks for 2020 with little in the bank, classic.

This is like the Billy Longer is better than Stanley and Hickey debacle... pfft.
Look I think you might be right re Newnes being a better option than Kent, especially up forward. I would have liked to see Newnes compete for a HF position in 2020. He's actually an elite mark, especially overhead and in contested situations which is ideal for an overlap type HF player. He is also pretty decent at set shots on goal. But it's all history now obviously and I really hope he does show us how good he can be during his time at the Blues and hopefully can go beyond his 2016-17 peak with us.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

If we see Newnes do well at Carlton, how do you think it will show...as what kind of player doing what kinds of things? A Russell Greene at Hawthorn kinda linkman?
And what will that teach us about our own systems?

As for Kent, I think we over rate the psychology of projecting that he has , 'much to prove' . They all do, don't they? Including his opponents.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Secret Kiel
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 08 Nov 2019 2:35pm If we see Newnes do well at Carlton, how do you think it will show...as what kind of player doing what kinds of things? A Russell Greene at Hawthorn kinda linkman?
And what will that teach us about our own systems?

As for Kent, I think we over rate the psychology of projecting that he has , 'much to prove' . They all do, don't they? Including his opponents.
Isn't the game's history littered with examples of players taking the next step after moving to a new club and if Jack does well at Carlton does that necessarily reflect negatively on our system? You could argue it reflects positively because we always wanted him to stay but it was just the gap in the valuing process that couldn't be bridged. I'm guessing we needed him to take that next step and prove he was worth the value he had placed on himself and he probably felt the club were being unreasonable. Has Carlton picked him up for the same annual salary? but on the 3 year deal he wanted? if they have then Carlton can afford to do that due to them being in an early phase of their rebuild whereas we had options. Dunno.
Last edited by Secret Kiel on Fri 08 Nov 2019 3:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

ss1986
Club Player

Mods- please move this to the Opposition thread. This bloke needs to be consigned to our history bin. 150 games, 148 of which were either sub-par or par at best. His hair however.... consistently Elite.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

ss1986 wrote: Fri 08 Nov 2019 3:20pm Mods- please move this to the Opposition thread. This bloke needs to be consigned to our history bin. 150 games, 148 of which were either sub-par or par at best. His hair however.... consistently Elite.
Not sure I agree on his 2 excellent games,
he played a lot of decent hard-fought games.
But yeah, 8 pages is far too much, I wish I could mute this whole thread.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Kent is a pumpkin 🤣. See what I did there. Lol.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 08 Nov 2019 4:54pm

Oh.goodie we have another player who could be our new whipping boy now that Jack has departed for bluer pastures. :roll:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 08 Nov 2019 6:17pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 08 Nov 2019 4:54pm

Oh.goodie we have another player who could be our new whipping boy now that Jack has departed for bluer pastures. :roll:
Never been critical of a player have you?

Oh right, you’re the guy that called Zac Dawson a girl and stated his heart sank every time Tom Lee was selected

The self-righteousness is overwhelming.