Paddy to be delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy to be delisted

If he could have got a season together he would have had a chance to show what he had.
Poor bugger. He sounds in a bad way.
Can only wish him well.

Nee!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

If he could have got a season together he would have had a chance to show what he had.
Poor bugger. He sounds in a bad way.
Can only wish him well.

Nee!
Harves Man
Club Player

Flipmode wrote: Sun 27 Oct 2019 5:02pm
sunsaint wrote: Sun 27 Oct 2019 4:40pm
ace wrote: Sun 27 Oct 2019 4:34pm No more list clogging.

We seem to be paying a fortune to say goodbye to contracted players - Steven, McCartin, Young but they won't be clogging our list.
when add names like Hannerbery Longer Roberton & King payments to players that were not available to play was huge
Armo is gone and his wage was huge, back ended contract had him on $900000 last year.

I couldn’t believe it.
I can't believe it, either!!!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Harves Man wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019 12:15am
Flipmode wrote: Sun 27 Oct 2019 5:02pm
sunsaint wrote: Sun 27 Oct 2019 4:40pm

We seem to be paying a fortune to say goodbye to contracted players - Steven, McCartin, Young but they won't be clogging our list.
when add names like Hannerbery Longer Roberton & King payments to players that were not available to play was huge
Armo is gone and his wage was huge, back ended contract had him on $900000 last year.

I couldn’t believe it.
I can't believe it, either!!!
A player earning the average wage on a contract could have the whole timing backended and be a million dollar player in final year...

Is it really that unbelievable?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Sad end... not sure what to think.

Feel for the bloke. But the nature of that head knock in the preseason was so innocuous that it’s hard to see him playing senior football week in and week out.

What’s the extra incentive of delisting and paying out as opposed to taking 2020 off? Someone with any knowledge?

McCartin - ability to use alternative treatments? Completely focus on health

Saints - extra list spot... What else?

groupie1
Club Player

There's the extra list spot plus he can try ASADA unapproved treatments.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
saintly
Saintsational Legend

The club is not prepared to play him again.
This will free up four senior list slots ahead of the end of October deadline.
We needed to accommodate the requirement of a total of three rookie upgrades or senior draft picks.
It will allow the club to acquire a delisted free agent if it likes and still meet the requirement for 3 upgrade or pick additions to the senior list.

Pity about Mckenzie for 3 more years.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

saintly wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019 7:16am

Steven won't cost us anything. I thought low pick meant we didnt have to pay his salary. McCarron would have a playing requirement to get paid out fully so we would have come to some arrangement and youngs contract was probably for a year

outside66
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019 9:45am

Steven won't cost us anything. I thought low pick meant we didnt have to pay his salary. McCarron would have a playing requirement to get paid out fully so we would have come to some arrangement and youngs contract was probably for a year
Apparently we're footing a decent amount of Steven's 2019 contract - 150-200K is what's been widely floated.

Paddy and the club agreed to a full payout (all incentives included) according to all numerous reports.

Young would have been a base wage (90K or whatever it is these days for draftees).

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote: Sun 27 Oct 2019 6:46pm
WellardSaint wrote: Sun 27 Oct 2019 6:34pm We could have picked anybody with the #1.
AFL doesn't give us compo.
We can't ask for compo to make up for OUR poor judgement!
No one could have foreseen that he would be so susceptible to concussion that he is virtually finished at age 22.
I can understand people saying we should have chosen Petracca but he was everyone’s first or second pick.
So this is not a poor judgement call.
We could request a compensation pick as to lose a player at such an early stage of his career is a tough penalty.
As I have said many times before, if I am going to invest pick 1 and pick 4 I am not picking a player that has diabetes or a player that has just done his ACL.
And now people are saying we should get a compo pick.

We are a Laughing Stock.

<1 week ban for trolling by telling the community that we are a laughing stock which is purely added to inflame the forum>

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019 11:10am I am a Laughing Stock.
EFA

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Were the Pies a laughing stock in taking a player with a heart problem?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We did not take a player who had shoulder problems when we could have.

That one decision probably cost us one or two premierships.

Other players with diabetes play AFL. I am not aware of any of them having concussion problems or it stopping them playing good football.

So the above poster is not being logical and clearly endorses not having picked Judd when we could have.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Harvey To Hayes wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019 11:16am
I am a Laughing Stock.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
Kevin07

This is really sad, never got to see his full potential. Saw moments, but when he started chaining a few games together he would get injured again.

Poor fella

The Handball Champion in the Southern Hemisphere
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

So very, very sorry for Paddy, and sorry for our Club that we never got to see him live up to his potential.

We can debate until the cows come home whether he would have made it, but events beyond everyone's control meant he never had a chance to become the Saint we'd hoped for.

I am glad we are looking at keeping him involved; I can't imagine how isolating and terrifying it must be to be his age, having had his 10-15 year future mapped out, and thinking that everything just stops now. Must be even harder with a brother who's flying.

Irrespective of whether he's ever able to play footy of any kind again, I can't imagine there's a Saints supporter who doesn't wish him the fullest possible recovery, and soon.

Always loyal
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019 11:21am Were the Pies a laughing stock in taking a player with a heart problem?
To be fair - they didn't know he had a heart problem. Stephenson's parents and doctors only disclosed that there was an irregularity (which was the bare minimum they had to). They would not release his full medical history. The rest was courage by the Pies to proceed.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019 2:23pm
saintsRrising wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019 11:21am Were the Pies a laughing stock in taking a player with a heart problem?
To be fair - they didn't know he had a heart problem. Stephenson's parents and doctors only disclosed that there was an irregularity (which was the bare minimum they had to). They would not release his full medical history. The rest was courage by the Pies to proceed.
Pretty sure it only came to light during the medicals the potential draftees have at their draft weekend. The pies would have been just as informed as his family was I reckon.

I agree with a statement that B.M. made earlier. Paddy NEVER looked like the player we wanted him or needed him to be. He was simply too small and too slow. As opposed to King who is nearly 10cm taller and fast.

Paddy at that height needed to be an aerobic beast, or play a bit like Lance Witnall for the blues 20 years ago. He looked like a gun bush footballer out of his depth. In some ways it's a blessing for the club I reckon. We would have persevered with him for a few more years without these issues, only to be eventually disappointed.

In hindsight it was a poor selection for a #1 pick. Petracca would have been better but not by that much. He is an okay AFL footballer, but if I were a Dees fan, I would be hoping for so much more. I am staggered that in a draft of the most talented footballers in the country recruiters can get it so wrong. Rarely is the #1 pick the best player in that draft. How do recruiters stuff it up so badly??

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think Christian Petracca was/is a much better prospect. At 18, and obviously now. He’s missed a year with a knee and still played over 80 games at a goal per game.

He not what they would have expected or hoped for at this stage, but he’s not a bust either. He also has 6-8 years ahead of him to take the next step.

Stian
Club Player

I remember all of the calls on here for us to draft Petracca at that time but I agree that both Petracca and Brayshaw have been disappointing.

Has anybody looked at the AFL playing records of the others in that draft to see who actually turned out to be the best of that year?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Collingwood did all right - de Goey and Darcy Moore.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019 4:04pm I think Christian Petracca was/is a much better prospect. At 18, and obviously now. He’s missed a year with a knee and still played over 80 games at a goal per game.

He not what they would have expected or hoped for at this stage, but he’s not a bust either. He also has 6-8 years ahead of him to take the next step.
Obviously in hindsight he is a much better prospect - but it appears footballers with poor aerobic capacity are going to struggle in today's game, regardless of the position they play in. Petracca is played mainly as a fwd, and for a guy with his body, ability and now experience, I would have thought would be a gun mid in the Dusty Martin mould or be a De-goey type match winner in the fwd line. He's neither of those things.

I agree he still has time, and of course everyone would prefer we had of picked him. Just don't reckon he's developed the way the Dees would have hoped. Will turn into a solid 200 game player but at this stage certainly not a superstar.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It wasn’t in hindsight, most had Christian in front at the time... it’s just been proved correct.

If you remember, Dusty exploded in 2017 (I know he was pretty good beforehand, but not the player we see today) Dusty was 26 at the time.

DeGoey is dangerous and has good games... but is inconsistent at this stage.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 27 Oct 2019 9:33pm Concussions were bad luck, but like career ending knee injuries pre reconstruction surgery.

However, he never, ever looked AFL fit, and because of that, never looked a prospect.

He needed to be more athletic at his size for a key forward, or he needed to be 198+ if he was going to be that slow.
Sorry but there would be an absolute small % of 1st to 3rd year players that ever looks AFL fit and ready to run a whole game out.

The fact that Paddy took 6 marks or more in 1/3 of games he played showed that he had athletic ability and just needed more time ........... like all big forwards

As a comparison Tom Lynch (Gold Coast /Richmond) in his first 35 games kicked 32 goals 22 behinds - Paddy in all of his career 35 games kicked 34.36

Unfortunately his concussion issue could not be foreseen but it is absolutely ridiculous to say that Paddy was never going to make it or in your words ....... never looked like a prospect .............. it is just insulting!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The club is not prepared to play him again.
This will free up four senior list slots ahead of the end of October deadline.
We needed to accommodate the requirement of a total of three rookie upgrades or senior draft picks.
It will allow the club to acquire a delisted free agent if it likes and still meet the requirement for 3 upgrade or pick additions to the senior list.

McKenzie, the new whipping boy is he? f*** me. :roll: