Acres

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kalsaint
Club Player

Re: Acres

Linton Lodger wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:05pm
barneyboyz wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 4:17pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 3:59pm
B.M wrote: Fri 11 Oct 2019 10:12pm You must have missed the 2010 GF?

In fact you must have missed the entire 2009/2010 seasons

Top Ten player I the AFL in both those seasons with a combined tally of nearly 1400 possessions.

Acres doesn’t get a run in the midfield because he isn’t up to it, he’s had 6 years in the system and is still a fringe player
Goddard's games in those GFs were nothing short of absolutely MIGHTY.
Hard to believe it's around 10 years ago :shock:
Indeed, but for the first time in years, I sniff we're on the verge of an ascension.

BJ left nothing on the park in those games, neither did Lenny. That's why they'll always be great Saints.

I think BJ did a great job on Mikes interview on Foxtel earlier in the season and recently,. He tried to explain some of the difference in the team in 2009-10. He illustrated the hunger, effort and expectancy from himself and Roo along with their frustration of others not meeting those expectation,s until they both realised they were the different ones. Its one of things in teams there are different levels in people and Saints haven't had the Elites with that class for years now. They went with Roo and Joey.

I was stunned when Goddard wasn't invited back for a year contract, even at his age, because that class and leadership is exactly what we have needed. Ask Essendon how BJ held them to account. It was direct, visible and obvious. It was liked at the time on the field and on Essendon's forums but it was what they required as they turned things around radically. Sting of the tail is needed at times.

Guys like Goddard and Roo personify the effort called "left nothing on the park". Yes we have some opportunity to arise with some of these imports with even young Dougal leading Port in one game this year. Its what we need.

I like Acres but he is among many who don't have that desire to earn leadership rights. I would love to visibly see the antics on the ground that demonstrates leadership aspects of direction, coaching, supporting and delegation to ensure good quality decision making based on grounds of experience and understanding the capability of players (that one weakness BJ alluded to in the interview). The coach needs to make the plan his and ensure the skills work is upgraded and restate this next year in trades if it doesn't match his expectancy.

Cant wait for 2020 to show we are progressing to 2009-10 standards.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ape_Man wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 7:09pm
Yorkeys wrote:Port game not too long ago - Dunstan kept us in it, boys slogged their guts out, seconds to go: Ryder to Gray, Acres MIA, we lose. Blake (what me?) you had one job. That possibly defines Blake & I think we are getting more than .4047 hectares for him on conversion.
Acres should have been running behind the rucks, Ross, Dunstan and Billings let Gray Waltz through. Left a gap a mile wide.
Let's have an objective look with a recap of the evidence

Fact: The player that was supposedly 'defending' against Robbie Gray was Seb Ross. Seb was lined up and was his direct opponent. Seb didn't even have an arm across him or any body contact at that throw in. There were seconds to go and the best opportunity for their mids was for Paddy to knock it behind him and into the corridor. That's exactly what happened.

Acres might not have done the right thing but you can also say he wasn't instructed properly. Richo had him playing as a backman ffs. Where was the captain and the onfield leaders? How did the midfield get it so wrong at those crucial last couple of stoppages?

By the way, if you also watch the video you'll see that Seb Ross was the turnover merchant who let them back into the contest prior to the goal by Gray. Sebby kicked it to the opposition backmen which led to them getting the second last goal of the match with under a minute left on the clock. Footy goes back to the middle and we lose the centre clearance...aaaaaaahhhhhhmmmmm...was Blake part of the midfield at that last centre bounce? No he wasn't

kalsaint
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 12:16am
Ape_Man wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 7:09pm
Yorkeys wrote:Port game not too long ago - Dunstan kept us in it, boys slogged their guts out, seconds to go: Ryder to Gray, Acres MIA, we lose. Blake (what me?) you had one job. That possibly defines Blake & I think we are getting more than .4047 hectares for him on conversion.
Acres should have been running behind the rucks, Ross, Dunstan and Billings let Gray Waltz through. Left a gap a mile wide.
Let's have an objective look with a recap of the evidence

Fact: The player that was supposedly 'defending' against Robbie Gray was Seb Ross. Seb was lined up and was his direct opponent. Seb didn't even have an arm across him or any body contact at that throw in. There were seconds to go and the best opportunity for their mids was for Paddy to knock it behind him and into the corridor. That's exactly what happened.

Acres might not have done the right thing but you can also say he wasn't instructed properly. Richo had him playing as a backman ffs. Where was the captain and the onfield leaders? How did the midfield get it so wrong at those crucial last couple of stoppages?

By the way, if you also watch the video you'll see that Seb Ross was the turnover merchant who let them back into the contest prior to the goal by Gray. Sebby kicked it to the opposition backmen which led to them getting the second last goal of the match with under a minute left on the clock. Footy goes back to the middle and we lose the centre clearance...aaaaaaahhhhhhmmmmm...was Blake part of the midfield at that last centre bounce? No he wasn't

I would hardly blame Acres for any of this. Firstly we kick so badly at times Its not a surprise that a turnover was going to occur, this time by Seb.
Work around clearances and in terms of ball recovery and defence of position was a shocker. Clearly, 2018 was woeful on both theses issues (positioning and disposal). They had the game won in their minds, mental strength not there to deal with the close ones late in a game.
Lack of leadership and role play for correct set up on the ground was much needed. I exploded real time with that as it was the one thing I've been banging on about for 4 years. Now we are starting to correct these things after 7 years of lost player development. I await 2020 improvement.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

What i did see re acres/ross was at 1.00 at the bounce after membrey's goal Acres received a handball, evaded a tackle leaving him with two men running on to receive and he had a brain fade and dished off a ridiculous long handball to no one which port then locked up. At our next attack At 2:05 Ross blindly kicked into the 50 to a Port defender standing alone in an area the size of lake eyre. Port's rebound led into the fifty where at 2:22 Acres put in an awful tackle attempt on westhoff who shrugged him off and handballed to Young for Port's penultimate goal.
For the final throw in Dunstan blocks his man from the ball, then turns to face the ruck duel, as does Billings, only to see Grey has waltzed around and away from Ross to collect the ball inside of the duel. Acres rather than run behind the ruck duel jogs to guard the outside despite Grey having moved back inside.
Pretty shocking footy all round at that last contest, dunstan or billings not reacting quick enough to their opponents being decoys, awful by Ross, dumb by Acres. Could argue poor coaching/inexperience of the three youngest at that duel. Three stuffups by Acres, two even bigger ones by Ross.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
ace
Saintsational Legend

Ryder deliberately goes too far back.
Takes Longer back with him, Longer more intent on Ryder is too slow to react as Ryder runs in fast.
Ryder achieves separation.
Ross was marking Gray at the ball in, but he was ball watching and lets Gray get separation.
Dunstan was ball watching, did not block Gray's run.
Billings too slow to react to tackle.

Pathetic by all 4.
There was one player that Ryder had to hit the ball to and he did it to perfection.
Why blame Acres he was in position to intercept a kick from the pack.
The 3 guys who should have stopped Gray were ball watching with their brains asleep.
With the time left their job was not to win the ball themselves it was to clog the play up and stop any Port player getting a kick.
All four Longer, Ross, Dunstan and Billings should have refused their weeks pay.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Uuurgh - F***.

Tim Gossage is now reporting that Acres has agreed to a 3 yr deal at Freo as part of the Hill deal.

10 + future 2nd + future 4th + 58 + Acres. Without Acres - it feels about right; with Acres it feels overs.

Takes a bit of tarnish off Brad coming to St K now IMHO

Go you red, black & white warriors
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 7:23am Uuurgh - F***.

Tim Gossage is now reporting that Acres has agreed to a 3 yr deal at Freo as part of the Hill deal.

10 + future 2nd + future 4th + 58 + Acres. Without Acres - it feels about right; with Acres it feels overs.

Acres is a spud. Another one we’ve waited forever to come good.

Our list has too many hacks.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
barneyboyz
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:12pm
To the top wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 5:42pm Another Ian Stewart decision.

But we keep Steele, Ross and Dunstan to power our centre square and our mid field.

None of Steele, Ross or Dunstan have creativity - and they are all one sided players with ordinary ball skills both by hand and foot including length of disposal by both hand and foot.

They are the coal face of St Kilda and the reason we languish - along with others including the Captain.
Do you appreciate how good Ian Stewart was? You also seem to grossly underrate Jack Steele.

Acres is a kid who's had a ton of potential for 6 years (I see why he seduces) and just doesn't work hard enough.

If he needs to be sacrificed to get Hill over the line, its a no brainer.

I agree there's a slight risk he fulfils his potential, but its slight. Doesn't justify walking away from the Hill deal.
I'd be more worried if he was going to West Coast to be honest, Freo...nah

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
lefty
Club Player

If it's Pick 10, Blake acres and a future second rounder, we got royally bent over for hill big time. Joke.

I have a funny feeling Hill will end up like hannerbery, and be injury prone. Time will tell. It's way too much to pay for one player.

barneyboyz
Club Player

ace wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 4:18am Ryder deliberately goes too far back.
Takes Longer back with him, Longer more intent on Ryder is too slow to react as Ryder runs in fast.
Ryder achieves separation.
Ross was marking Gray at the ball in, but he was ball watching and lets Gray get separation.
Dunstan was ball watching, did not block Gray's run.
Billings too slow to react to tackle.

Pathetic by all 4.
There was one player that Ryder had to hit the ball to and he did it to perfection.
Why blame Acres he was in position to intercept a kick from the pack.
The 3 guys who should have stopped Gray were ball watching with their brains asleep.
With the time left their job was not to win the ball themselves it was to clog the play up and stop any Port player getting a kick.
All four Longer, Ross, Dunstan and Billings should have refused their weeks pay.
I really love watching Ross 'ball watching' at centre bounces, really makes my day :oops:

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Even without Acres it feels like overs. If that is the case as you’ve suggested.....that’s waaaaay overs. 10 and a future second is fair

barneyboyz
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 7:47am

Even without Acres it feels like overs. If that is the case as you’ve suggested.....that’s waaaaay overs. 10 and a future second is fair
I think that what we all should be seeing, is the Saints (might) have brought in pretty much 5 players for pick 6, Bruce, Steven and Acres (and some change). Now it is debatable on the true value of those going out, but we have been intent on changing things 'UP' so lets just see how next year goes

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Got to be something coming back from all of that.

Happy to preserve next year's FRDP but at what cost?
The pick 58 this year is surely superfluous.

Nee!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Funny how so many Saints fans rant all year (and even previous years) that we need to be aggressive during the trade period. The club does exactly that, lures an A Grade mid and as part of it ships off a C grade player who has been in the system six years, and fans are up in arms. Strange.

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

Need to look at this as a whole and not a single deal.

We have turned pick 6 into basically Howard, Ryder and Pick 10.

Then we get Hill with that 10 plus a second round + Acres.. It balances out.

I like Blake too but we are essentially upset based on his potential not on what he has actually delivered for our footy club

suss
Club Player

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st-kil ... 056ab57260

The most interesting bit:

“St Kilda will send Pick 10, a future second round selection and Pick 58 to the Dockers. This deal had already been sorted out via an in-principle agreement by the time Acres verbally agreed to sign a three-year deal at Freo late on Tuesday.

It means the 75-gamer is essentially an add-on to an agreement that would have been pushed through regardless. Sources suggested the Saints felt as if he would be relegated to the VFL with Hill and Zak Jones set to land at Moorabbin.”

I just do not understand this at all. Why throw Acres in for free when the deal is already done. :?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I’d have liked to see Acres go another year under a new coach.

Richo never really showed a lot of faith in him and used him in various fringe roles.

Richo, nice bloke and all, but a questionable judge of a footballer IMO.

Anyway, I feel we have overrated Hill and underrated Acres and Fremantle has gotten the better of this deal.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Why do people keep referring to Richo as a nice bloke? He was more bland than nice. I'm sure he was a prick when he needed to be.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 8:09am
st.byron wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 7:47am

I think that what we all should be seeing, is the Saints (might) have brought in pretty much 5 players for pick 6, Bruce, Steven and Acres (and some change). Now it is debatable on the true value of those going out, but we have been intent on changing things 'UP' so lets just see how next year goes
And a future 2nd round pick. Too much just for Hill and they get 8cres! :cry: Reamed

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

That’s too much for Hill

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Shows how highly Acres is rated internally at StKilda.

I believe this will be incorrect.
Surely the future second rounder comes off the table if Acres is thrown in.

If not, Acres is rated so lowly by the club & Ratten they have given him away.

I guess 6 seasons of mediocrity has a price.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ouch!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Didn’t Blake play 70 games under Richo?

shrodes
SS Life Member

suss wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 8:32am https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st-kil ... 056ab57260

The most interesting bit:

“St Kilda will send Pick 10, a future second round selection and Pick 58 to the Dockers. This deal had already been sorted out via an in-principle agreement by the time Acres verbally agreed to sign a three-year deal at Freo late on Tuesday.

It means the 75-gamer is essentially an add-on to an agreement that would have been pushed through regardless. Sources suggested the Saints felt as if he would be relegated to the VFL with Hill and Zak Jones set to land at Moorabbin.”

I just do not understand this at all. Why throw Acres in for free when the deal is already done. :?
Do we have 58? According to the indicative draft order no

derby Street
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 9:07am Shows how highly Acres is rated internally at StKilda.

I believe this will be incorrect.
Surely the future second rounder comes off the table if Acres is thrown in.

If not, Acres is rated so lowly by the club & Ratten they have given him away.

I guess 6 seasons of mediocrity has a price.
When you see some other trades being done for second rounders you do wonder. Perhaps we (supporters) are putting a higher value on Blake than his worth out in the market. Acres plus a 2nd round on top of everything else does seem too much.