Acres

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint-stu
Club Player

Re: Acres

B.M wrote:Last time I checked

Ross, Steele and Dunstan finished 1st, 3rd and 7th in the B&F

Where did Acres finish?

In fact, what is his best finish??

Seb Ross has won two
Steele has finished on the podium twice
Dunstan has finished top ten twice ... but agree he is a GOP.

Acres is a fringe player how has played a handful of good games, I’ll go as far as saying he is not as good as Lonie
This is all true, but there is some untapped potential there. It's just a question of can we and Blake draw it out. He's had many years now so I'm thinking probably not. Maybe a change of scene will do the trick for Blake.

1ac46a38
Ape_Man
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote:Port game not too long ago - Dunstan kept us in it, boys slogged their guts out, seconds to go: Ryder to Gray, Acres MIA, we lose. Blake (what me?) you had one job. That possibly defines Blake & I think we are getting more than .4047 hectares for him on conversion.
Acres should have been running behind the rucks, Ross, Dunstan and Billings let Gray Waltz through. Left a gap a mile wide.

stkfc1
Club Player

Two words. Jack Bytel. When this kids up and about we'll all be going Acres who? Bookmark it.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ian Stewart and Blake Acres shouldn’t be in the same thread... Not even the same forum...

We swapped a dual Brownlow medallist and guess what, it came back to bite us... who would have thought??

We swap Blake, he might play some decent games at Freo?
Will he win a Brownlow next year, as Stewart did the year after he was traded?
He’ll be lucky to poll a vote

Gershwin
Club Player

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane ??

summertime and the living is easy ........
axcellence
Club Player

GOP list clogger. Still trying to think how many games he’s been BOG?

Clark’s in his second year and is a future captain/b&f winner.

Acres was noted as “bit of a lad” by the saints on the official website. After 6 years, it’s fair to say goodbye.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 7:30pm Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane ??
Jane Acres, might be his new nickname.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:55pm Port game not too long ago - Dunstan kept us in it, boys slogged their guts out, seconds to go: Ryder to Gray, Acres MIA, we lose. Blake (what me?) you had one job. That possibly defines Blake & I think we are getting more than .4047 hectares for him on conversion.
Don't remind me. Horrible end to a game we should have won.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
damienc
Club Player

Sam McClure Age footy writer and Trade Radio presenter is saying the Hill trade has been agreed to in principle.

It involves the Jack Steven Trade to Geelong as well as our pick 10 and Blake Acres if he agrees to go.

So we give Freo pick 58 that we get back for JS, pick 10, which we hold and Acres.

It's probably about right, all things considered. It certainly helps the Dockers save face after turning down 6.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:12pm To respond

To trade out Acres reeks of a trade which will come back to haunt St Kilda - as I understand the Stewart Trade did

That is the comparison for the faunicated moron who simplistically suggests that I am comparing Stewart with Acres as players

The players I compare Acres with are Steele, Ross and Dunstan and I rate Acres above each of them for the reasons I have given

The reason I compare those 3 with Acres is because they are all competing for mid field roles at St Kilda

What the response shows is that you cannot debate idiots

My view is that St Kilda will rue the day they traded Acres and retained all of Steele, Ross and Dunstan

Time will tell
Well there is one irrefutable fact I agree with.

It is very hard to debate when one party is realistic and the other party makes statements such as Jack Steven is worth 2 x first round draft picks and Blake Acres is a match winner and his potential trading is referenced to the Ian Stewart trade.

I’ll take fact over fantasy and functionality over fashion thank you.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 8:52pm
Yorkeys wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:55pm Port game not too long ago - Dunstan kept us in it, boys slogged their guts out, seconds to go: Ryder to Gray, Acres MIA, we lose. Blake (what me?) you had one job. That possibly defines Blake & I think we are getting more than .4047 hectares for him on conversion.
Don't remind me. Horrible end to a game we should have won.
ThIs and a comment I heard on here stating they heard that he eventually aspired to playing WAFL with his brother. I mean....WTF.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 9:25pm Sam McClure Age footy writer and Trade Radio presenter is saying the Hill trade has been agreed to in principle.

It involves the Jack Steven Trade to Geelong as well as our pick 10 and Blake Acres if he agrees to go.

So we give Freo pick 58 that we get back for JS, pick 10, which we hold and Acres.

It's probably about right, all things considered. It certainly helps the Dockers save face after turning down 6.
I hope that’s right and we’re not also giving up a future second. That would be overs.
Picks 10 and 50 something plus Acres is a good outcome for us. We keep both our first and second rounders next year.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:02pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 5:52pm
lefty wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 5:17pm Hill for Acres is a bloody downgrade.... fml with this football club.
Surely you jest my friend?

Hill is an A grade mid with excellent speed and skill.

Acres is a C grade floater who may or may not reach his undoubted potential.
1. 6 goals from an A grade winger from 22 games is not good enough. Give me Montagna any day of the week.
2. His knee injury was sustained from 2018 and continued through 2019. The older you get, the higher the risk, so why are we doing longer term deals exactly?
Might not kick a lot of goals but Ranked #1 in wingmen for score assists according to below.

Couldn’t find Acres in Robbos top 50, must have just missed the cut.
kosifantutti wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 8:04pm Rowan Marshall at 47.

ROBBO SAYS:
One of the finds of the season and on track to become another Brodie Grundy.
The Numbers say:
Rated above average for a ruckman, ranking second for disposals and contested possessions and No.1 for score assists.

Potentially another one tomorrow.
Brad Hill 43

ROBBO SAYS:
Don't think he's worth the 900k as has been reported, but he's a bloody fine footballer.
The Numbers say:
Ranked No.1 among wingmen for metres gained, No.3 for uncontested possessions and No.1 for score assists.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Id take Acres now over next years second too. Good get for Freo.
10, Acres and 58 is right on the money. We may get a future third back for our future 4th too.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Is Acres going to be the difference in a Premiership tilt for either Saints or Freo?

Very unlikely

He is dispensible

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 9:28pm
damienc wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 9:25pm Sam McClure Age footy writer and Trade Radio presenter is saying the Hill trade has been agreed to in principle.

I hope that’s right and we’re not also giving up a future second. That would be overs.
Picks 10 and 50 something plus Acres is a good outcome for us. We keep both our first and second rounders next year.
It also includes our future 2nd......we are payin* abit...
Hopefull6 their future 3rd comes back but looks like Bell had to save face ...

“Yeah….nah””
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 9:34pm Id take Acres now over next years second too. Good get for Freo.
10, Acres and 58 is right on the money. We may get a future third back for our future 4th too.
Yep, fair both ways IMO.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 9:30pm
lefty wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:02pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 5:52pm
lefty wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 5:17pm Hill for Acres is a bloody downgrade.... fml with this football club.
Surely you jest my friend?

Hill is an A grade mid with excellent speed and skill.

Acres is a C grade floater who may or may not reach his undoubted potential.
1. 6 goals from an A grade winger from 22 games is not good enough. Give me Montagna any day of the week.
2. His knee injury was sustained from 2018 and continued through 2019. The older you get, the higher the risk, so why are we doing longer term deals exactly?
Might not kick a lot of goals but Ranked #1 in wingmen for score assists according to below.

Couldn’t find Acres in Robbos top 50, must have just missed the cut.
kosifantutti wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 8:04pm Rowan Marshall at 47.

ROBBO SAYS:
One of the finds of the season and on track to become another Brodie Grundy.
The Numbers say:
Rated above average for a ruckman, ranking second for disposals and contested possessions and No.1 for score assists.

Potentially another one tomorrow.
Brad Hill 43

ROBBO SAYS:
Don't think he's worth the 900k as has been reported, but he's a bloody fine footballer.
The Numbers say:
Ranked No.1 among wingmen for metres gained, No.3 for uncontested possessions and No.1 for score assists.
If not next year it'll be the one after.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:32pm
cwrcyn wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:23pm Acres has been good in patches, but his game lacks urgency and intensity. Some of his defensive efforts this year were below par. Maybe back on home soil will give him the impetus to really grow as a player. He is capable of being a devastating player. It's all between the ears for Blake. If he's not part of the Hill trade and he stays with us then he needs to put in a massive year so that Freo come begging for him at the end of 2020. There's his incentive. Either way, he needs to take the bull by the horns
I think you are right about Acres.

I am a huge fan. At one time I thought he could turn into a genuine A grade tall midfielder in the mould of Bontempelli.
Playing wing, forward or ruck is not going to turn you into bont or fyfe. Playing in the centre all game may have. Now we'll never know!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
suss
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 9:35pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 9:34pm Id take Acres now over next years second too. Good get for Freo.
Yep, fair both ways IMO.
Agree. I love Acres at his best, but he plays footy with a Mark Waugh-like intensity far too often. Good bye GOAT.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I still think Acres could be an excellent player.
At different times we've seen him take possession, break a tackle run and deliver a 55m pass.
If a coach can harness his potential they will have gotten a bargain.

Nee!
Ape_Man
Club Player

There must be something else that can be done? Can we get Butler and send him West?

I think I’ve started the 5 stages of grief.

kalsaint
Club Player

To the top wrote: Fri 11 Oct 2019 10:05pm Goddard has the turning circle of the Queen Mary hence deployed as a quarter back

If he was so good why was he used in that role and not in the “guts”

He was generally a good ball user but his possessions were usually accrued in the spare quarter back role including by demanding the ball as the free player

Hence he was let go
Let go. We didn't match the bid of Essendon in free agency. Nothing to do with the quarterback distinction here. Really BJ was very vocal with his ground leadership and great decision maker. That's something that is missing in the 2019 team to some extent and needs correction. He became the play maker from half back for good reason and followed up to kick long range goals. Something I think Battle is capable of too However, I believe Battle needs to go forwards now we have Dougal Howard. Howard's going to be great.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

Ape_Man wrote: Sun 13 Oct 2019 9:26am
Jacks Back wrote:
Thanks for the video JB.

I love how the description says he ‘fits the prototype of the modern midfielder’ yet he has barely played in the middle since.

The coaching staff should have developed him into a weapon. I really want to see him have a crack under a new regime.
Ive always liked Acres and believed there is more to come. I am no longer sure that the extra is huge.

Several months ago I had someone here in Perth saying Acres was coming home, despite that fact he had a year left in contract. I was never sure of the rumour to return to the West and some here disputed the rumour at the time. The source seemed reliable given they knew family and echoed the preference to play footy in WA with his younger brother. Well I was probably wrong given Blakes comment that his preference was to remain in Melbourne. A week later and hes back in WA for interview and medical. What can you believe?

If he goes I wish him well. A club change often provides players with a new direction and this move could come back to haunt us but the need for speedy Hill is our priority now IMO.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

kalsaint
Club Player

Ape_Man wrote: Sun 13 Oct 2019 9:26am
Jacks Back wrote:
Thanks for the video JB.

I love how the description says he ‘fits the prototype of the modern midfielder’ yet he has barely played in the middle since.

The coaching staff should have developed him into a weapon. I really want to see him have a crack under a new regime.
Ive always liked Acres and believed there is more to come. I am no longer sure that the extra is huge.

Several months ago I had someone here in Perth saying Acres was coming home, despite that fact he had a year left in contract. I was never sure of the rumour to return to the West and some here disputed the rumour at the time. The source seemed reliable given they knew family and echoed the preference to play footy in WA with his younger brother. Well I was probably wrong given Blakes comment that his preference was to remain in Melbourne. A week later and hes back in WA for interview and medical. What can you believe?

If he goes I wish him well. A club change often provides players with a new direction and this move could come back to haunt us but the need for speedy Hill is our priority now IMO.