We Could Emerge The Winner In Trade 2019

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

We Could Emerge The Winner In Trade 2019

This trade period is starting to get a little exciting if you are a Saints fan.

Hill, Jones, Ryder and now Howard. All four have nominated St Kilda as their club of choice.

Hill and Jones have great midfield speed which we desperately need. Contrary to popular opinion here, Ryder will be a big help to Marshall.

And now Howard as a key defender who can possibly swing into attack. This guy is a seriously good player and it's fantastic that he's coming to us.

Of course, now comes the hard part. We have little currency to land these guys. We need good picks in exchange for Bruce and Steven who both say they want to move.

Maybe we might have to trade a player or two.

But the club can't be accused of sitting on its hands.

We need to turn things around and these are very good steps in the right direction in my view.

The list needed freshening. We needed to inject more speed, and find a ruckman and key defender. And we did exactly that.

Ryder clearly isn't to everyone's liking but he was AA and I think he will help Marshall get better.

Now it's a case of watch this space to see how it gets done. Woohoo bring it on !

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: We Could Emerge The Winner In Trade 2019

Where did you see that Howard has nominated us? I haven’t seen that and have been following pretty closely.

takeaway
Club Player

We now will have to trade a player or 2. We had Hill, Jones & Ryder covered with picks only if we could not trade any out, but the addition of Howard adds more pressure to get some picks back in or trade players. Still think we should hold firm on Bruce & Steven though at this stage.

Simon Templar
Club Player

Great stuff....do it!!!

Go you good things....!!!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 6:55pm We now will have to trade a player or 2. We had Hill, Jones & Ryder covered with picks only if we could not trade any out, but the addition of Howard adds more pressure to get some picks back in or trade players. Still think we should hold firm on Bruce & Steven though at this stage.
Acres mentioned in Mitch Cleary / Riley Beveridge trade wrap this arvo as a possible trade.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Mitch/Riley

Wankers

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

damienc wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 6:44pm This trade period is starting to get a little exciting if you are a Saints fan.

Hill, Jones, Ryder and now Howard. All four have nominated St Kilda as their club of choice.

Hill and Jones have great midfield speed which we desperately need. Contrary to popular opinion here, Ryder will be a big help to Marshall.

And now Howard as a key defender who can possibly swing into attack. This guy is a seriously good player and it's fantastic that he's coming to us.

Of course, now comes the hard part. We have little currency to land these guys. We need good picks in exchange for Bruce and Steven who both say they want to move.

We need to turn things around and these are very good steps in the right direction in my view.

The list needed freshening. We needed to inject more speed, and find a ruckman and key defender. And we did exactly that.

Ryder clearly isn't to everyone's liking but he was AA and I think he will help Marshall get better.

Now it's a case of watch this space to see how it gets done. Woohoo bring it on !
Where did you obtain the info regards Howard nominating us?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 7:09pm Mitch/Riley

Wankers
Why? They seem pretty switched on to me. Haven’t agreed with them on their take on Stuv, but apart from that they seem to be decent blokes.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 7:12pm
damienc wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 6:44pm This trade period is starting to get a little exciting if you are a Saints fan.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-09/ ... ests-trade

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 7:13pm
SaintPav wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 7:09pm Mitch/Riley

Wankers
Why? They seem pretty switched on to me. Haven’t agreed with them on their take on Stuv, but apart from that they seem to be decent blokes.
I didn't say they were indecent or bad. It comes with the territory which is AFL tabloid media. They report rumor, innuendo and the headlines

Heard Mitch Clark take a call from a call from a Saints fan the other night on Bruce. He didn't answer the callers question and just regurgitated what Terry Wallace said that we just had to let Bruce go to the Bulldogs. Unlike you, I wasn't impressed.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Exactly how are we getting all of these deals done?

Hill - Pick 6
Jones - Pick for Steven
Howard - Pick for Bruce
Ryder - Late Pick?
Butler - ??
Gray - ??

Players that could be traded out
Acres, Dunstan,

At this stage our first pick in the draft will be pick 90 and we have to take three.

We could upgrade Doulton?
Is Wilkie already upgraded?

Brown, Austin, Clavarino, Carlisle, Marsh, Howard, Battle, Joyce
8 key defenders on the list... although Battle can play fwd.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 7:12pm

afl.com UNDERSTANDS he has requested

No direct comments by Howard

saint4life
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 7:31pm Exactly how are we getting all of these deals done?

Hill - Pick 6
Jones - Pick for Steven
Howard - Pick for Bruce
Ryder - Late Pick?
Butler - ??
Gray - ??

Players that could be traded out
Acres, Dunstan,

At this stage our first pick in the draft will be pick 90 and we have to take three.

We could upgrade Doulton?
Is Wilkie already upgraded?

Brown, Austin, Clavarino, Carlisle, Marsh, Howard, Battle, Joyce
8 key defenders on the list... although Battle can play fwd.
If Howard has indeed chosen us, perhaps it's also in the wind that Jake might be up for trade. He would have some currency. I also reckon if our recruiting guys are going after Butler, Gray will not be a goer. One or the other. It's also possible, if we do recruit a small forward like Butler, that one of our existing small forwards will be up for trade.

Perhaps Acres, Bruce, Lonie and Carlisle all up for trade. Total hypothetical I know but it would be a significant shift in the profile of the list if those guys went out along with the delisted players and in came Hill, Jones, Ryder, Howard and Butler.
Forgot to mention Newnes. He could also be on the way out if anyone wants him. Perhaps a third rounder as compo. Can't see him attracting a second rounder.
Last edited by st.byron on Wed 09 Oct 2019 8:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Howard's choice now also reported in The Age :

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/por ... 52z7m.html

oboe
Club Player

I'd keep Acres and Lonie. Bruce wants to leave it seems, and Carlisle has been nothing but trouble. Lonie was very good before his knee injury. Our issue has been getting the ball in quickly and accurately into the forward line. Hill will certainly help, but even Jones might help if he can win enough one on ones. Howard if we can get him will possibly solve the problem at full back. My line up for next year down the guts would be from FB, Howard, Battle, Acres, King, and a rotating FF e.g. Membrey, or Marshall. If we can get the ball into 50 or 60 metres into goal (Gresham, and Billings as half forward flankers), with King at CHF), we can create numerous opportunities for scores.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Certainly seems like a good get, there were big wraps on him for most of the season...but with 3 years still to play out on his contract Port would be in their rights to play a bit of hardball. Hill/Jones should be priorities, and our key defensive positions at least solidly covered for now, I wonder if this is the least likely trade to go through? I expect it will be a late one.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 8:55pm Certainly seems like a good get, there were big wraps on him for most of the season...but with 3 years still to play out on his contract Port would be in their rights to play a bit of hardball. Hill/Jones should be priorities, and our key defensive positions at least solidly covered for now, I wonder if this is the least likely trade to go through? I expect it will be a late one.
Would be a good get though. Carlisle and Brown both well past their best I reckon.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 8:57pm
degruch wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 8:55pm Certainly seems like a good get, there were big wraps on him for most of the season...but with 3 years still to play out on his contract Port would be in their rights to play a bit of hardball. Hill/Jones should be priorities, and our key defensive positions at least solidly covered for now, I wonder if this is the least likely trade to go through? I expect it will be a late one.
Would be a good get though. Carlisle and Brown both well past their best I reckon.
If not right now, they soon will be...I'm not sure Austin isn't a bust too, who would know? That leaves Clav. Geez we need to focus on some pace and classy ball use pronto though.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

I'm secretly hoping we keep Acres & Dunstan. Reckon both of these guys can make a strong contribution in a good team

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 9:01pm
st.byron wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 8:57pm
If not right now, they soon will be...I'm not sure Austin isn't a bust too, who would know? That leaves Clav. Geez we need to focus on some pace and classy ball use pronto though.
Maybe longer term Ratts et al are picturing Ben King and Howard as KP defenders. Battle could go back to the forward line. Max King, Membrey, Battle.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If Dunstan and Acres were going to be any good, they would have been better than they are by now.

Blake - Poor decision maker, average disposal, doesn’t defend and is a bit lazy and floats in and out of games. People have this fascination with his size, but reality is that he’s not fierce at the contest and plays as a link, not inside. He’s the opposite to Steele in every way.

Luke - Just not a good athlete, poor running ability and is a poor kick. He has a crack, is tough and is ok inside. Can’t spread offensively or defensively.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 9:48pm If Dunstan and Acres were going to be any good, they would have been better than they are by now.

Blake - Poor decision maker, average disposal, doesn’t defend and is a bit lazy and floats in and out of games. People have this fascination with his size, but reality is that he’s not fierce at the contest and plays as a link, not inside. He’s the opposite to Steele in every way.

Luke - Just not a good athlete, poor running ability and is a poor kick. He has a crack, is tough and is ok inside. Can’t spread offensively or defensively.
Way to go devaluing their worth. :roll:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think these opinions of both are well understood by opposition clubs, they don’t need me to tell them.

Both players have positive attributes but also limitations that mean they are C Grade players

They’ve had 5 years in the system ffs!

Leo.J
SS Life Member

I’d be suprised if Carlisle gets traded...one of the better ball users we have.

I reckon Jake offers more to us at the club than on the trade table.

To the top
SS Life Member

It continues to amaze me that the players whose abilities have seen St Kilda languish post Lyon escape appraisal but the likes of Carlisle, Acres and Dunstan are the scape goats