B King 2021...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

groupie1
Club Player

Re: B King 2021...

fugazi wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 5:34pm
longtimesaint wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 4:10pm If we wait until he is out of contract next year we are in a stronger position.
What can the suns do if he says I am homesick and will return to Melbourne and makes it clear he wants to play with his twin brother.
Suns are not in a position to knock back a first round pick.
Carlisle and next year's first, for Ben King and this year's 2nd.
Don't mind this

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

I find it slightly ironic that on one hand there is an outcry that GCS are getting helped out by the afl

Yet on the other hand people want to rip the young players out of the club

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
groupie1
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 9:47am I find it slightly ironic that on one hand there is an outcry that GCS are getting helped out by the afl

GCS make terrible decisions. Don't deserve a priority pick.

Recruiting Ben King AFTER Max had been taken by the Saints was a disastrous decision.
Recruiting Lucocious similarly disastrous.

If given free picks and assistance they should be recruiting character/heart players. There's plenty around. They need big bodies, local kids, leadership.

It's their own fault if they lose Ben King.

groupie1
Club Player

If I were managing GCS, I'd trade Picks 1 and 2 for a bunch of top 20 picks, get an experienced leadership/values player on every line; and fill up their list to FIRST... become competitive. Doing the same thing over and over again hasn't worked, yet they keep doing it. Once competitive, then they can lure and retain players that will take them forward.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

groupie1 wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 9:52am
terry smith rules wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 9:47am I find it slightly ironic that on one hand there is an outcry that GCS are getting helped out by the afl

Recruiting Ben King AFTER Max had been taken by the Saints was a disastrous decision.

If given free picks and assistance they should be recruiting character/heart players. There's plenty around. They need big bodies, local kids, leadership.

Maybe they thought they'd have a chance of getting Max to join Ben up there. If we don't get Ben this year (and sounds like we won't) he'll have become a core part of that Suns team by next draft season. Entirely possible he'll be more committed to them than Max is to us. Especially if Max ends up having more injury issues while Ben goes from strength to strength.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

[quote=freely post_id=1827447 time=1570147874 If we don't get Ben this year (and sounds like we won't) he'll have become a core part of that Suns team by next draft season. Entirely possible he'll be more committed to them than Max is to us. Especially if Max ends up having more injury issues while Ben goes from strength to strength.
[/quote]

And if we sell the farm for Ben but he turns out to have peaked early? Bing is highly rated here, off the back of a few good games...maybe deservedly, but he's no dead cert champion.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Was his debut season that good?

Compared to say Kosi in his debut year?...

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

There's alot of doom & gloom about when it comes to recruiting, drafting & trading. Perhaps it's the lot of being a Saints supporter. I only know it would be alot easier with a crystal ball but I know there aren't guarantees.

In the Kings we are talking about two very tall young players that we won't know their true value until about 2025. Personally, I hope we reunite them. They offer hope, marketing and an identifiable strategy. That has to be better than where we've been for the past 7 years.

In 2020 offer them a first rounder & a mid range senior player in exchange for Ben & a future 3rd. No two first rounders, no Billings or Gresham. Clear some cap space so our offer wards off other suitors (if that still works).

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I guessing you don’t agree with a best available talent drafting model.

Who should they pick this year instead of Rowell & Anderson?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Wow. So two things

Gold Coast made a mistake picking King because one day he might want to be with his brother. Is that what you are saying. How about players harden up a bit and commit to the club who committed to them. Should clubs not pick players “just in case “.

Secondly in the next para you say they should pick players with heart and character. So are you saying that b king has none of those, but yet you want him at st Kilda. Interesting

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Myron Gaines
Club Player

GC should’ve taken Max & Ben at 2 & 3 especially losing May & Lynch in the same off season.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think they should definitely taken M King and B King but at #3 and #6 and still taken Rankine

But they did not thankfully.

Max will be a far better player than Lukocious... although we might have taken Rozee if Max was gone?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 5:59am
bigred wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 11:15am I reckon we would stand a better chance this year.

Next year it could be quite expensive.
Agreed. I'd give 'em pick 6, Geary and Newnes this year and be done with it.
Geary and Newnes, Gold Coast will be doing cartwheels over those 2.

In the opposite direction, they have enough Good Ordinary Players without adding more.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Myron Gaines
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 6:23pm I think they should definitely taken M King and B King but at #3 and #6 and still taken Rankine

Max will be a far better player than Lukocious... although we might have taken Rozee if Max was gone?
If GC had taken the King boys at 2 & 3 I think we would’ve taken Lukosious at 4. Port probably take Rankine at 5 & GC get Rozee at 6 along with the King’s. Just a guess though.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

100%.

It’s what makes the outcry on the Suns package thread so so so stupid.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

What a ridiculous post.

So the draft is so compromised that the Suns shouldn’t pick on talent and leave these players to the other clubs (like clubs who picked up their twin brother prior).

Very laughable and entertaining.

Makes even more of a case for priority picks if any of the above were even remotely true.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 5:44pm GC should’ve taken Max & Ben at 2 & 3 especially losing May & Lynch in the same off season.

Nah I would prefer my club to back themselves in and draft on talent - especially if there are better rated players at 2 and 3 (which was obviously the opinion of the Suns and many other draft analysts at the time).

They went with the two SAs - and backed themselves in to convince Ben to stay.

West Coast have never regretted drafting Judd in front of Polak for example. Even if they go - it’s worse passing up extraordinary talent at the start of the draft. Later on, that approach may make more sense and less risky.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 9:47am If we had to give up Gresham or Billings in a direct swap for King.. Would we do it.. Who would we give up.. Gresham probably.
Give up Billings, Gresham tries but Billings more is a talented cream puff.
If he adopts the attitude of Dustin Martin - I am going to win this game so get out of my way then Billings will be worth retaining.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Myron Gaines
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Sat 05 Oct 2019 4:54am
Myron Gaines wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 5:44pm GC should’ve taken Max & Ben at 2 & 3 especially losing May & Lynch in the same off season.

Nah I would prefer my club to back themselves in and draft on talent - especially if there are better rated players at 2 and 3 (which was obviously the opinion of the Suns and many other draft analysts at the time).

West Coast have never regretted drafting Judd in front of Polak for example. Even if they go - it’s worse passing up extraordinary talent at the start of the draft. Later on, that approach may make more sense and less risky.
Gold Coast are not StK or WC. Their lack of strategic direction has set them back nearly a decade & I believe not selecting the King’s as a package was also a mistake. It’s not difficult for clubs to control the media narrative by publicly stating the King’s are/were the best available & it’s in line with their recruitment strategy.

The draft is an opinion game. Nobody expected the Giants to take Taranto at pick 2 & he’s comfortably the best player from his draft. Same for Bont at pick 4. I had Max at 2 behind Walsh. GC could totally justify picking Ben & Max at 2 & 3. They’ve made a lot of mistakes however this will prove to be their biggest IMO.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I could not give a damn about GC a completely fabricated entity that the league would be better off without.
They took Ben King and it works for them, we will have to give the equivalent of 2 picks for their one if he goes, if he stays they have a top player. Actually a low risk strategy by them.

Nee!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I hope Ben will refuse to talk contract extensions and put them in the position of dealing earlier rather than later.

Nee!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Sat 05 Oct 2019 8:13am

Gold Coast are not StK or WC. Their lack of strategic direction has set them back nearly a decade & I believe not selecting the King’s as a package was also a mistake. It’s not difficult for clubs to control the media narrative by publicly stating the King’s are/were the best available & it’s in line with their recruitment strategy.

The draft is an opinion game. Nobody expected the Giants to take Taranto at pick 2 & he’s comfortably the best player from his draft. Same for Bont at pick 4. I had Max at 2 behind Walsh. GC could totally justify picking Ben & Max at 2 & 3. They’ve made a lot of mistakes however this will prove to be their biggest IMO.

Terrible take calling it a mistake. Gold Coast obviously didn’t think they were that good so why fake it. Narrative is one thing, but why go against who they think is better.

Bont and Taranto are poor examples that actually don’t make sense for your point. These clubs picked stars very early. They didn’t pick them earlier and by pass others due to fear.

You had Max at two? So what. GC obviously didn’t have him top 3. Why bump him up and his brother and miss out on Rankine and Lukosius altogether.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 10:14pm
B.M wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 6:23pm I think they should definitely taken M King and B King but at #3 and #6 and still taken Rankine

If GC had taken the King boys at 2 & 3 I think we would’ve taken Lukosious at 4. Port probably take Rankine at 5 & GC get Rozee at 6 along with the King’s. Just a guess though.
My guess is the draft would have been suspended while St Kilda fielded some ridiculous offers for Pick 4 from the two S.A. clubs.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Sat 05 Oct 2019 8:59am
Myron Gaines wrote: Sat 05 Oct 2019 8:13am

Terrible take calling it a mistake. Gold Coast obviously didn’t think they were that good so why fake it. Narrative is one thing, but why go against who they think is better.

Bont and Taranto are poor examples that actually don’t make sense for your point. These clubs picked stars very early. They didn’t pick them earlier and by pass others due to fear.

You had Max at two? So what. GC obviously didn’t have him top 3. Why bump him up and his brother and miss out on Rankine and Lukosius altogether.
Terrible take calling it a mistake? From memory Ben King & Lukosious are the only top 10 picks from their draft yet to extend their initial contract. The proof is & will be in the pudding.

I’m talking about a longterm strategic direction whereas you are all about the now without including
any foresight. That’s the difference.

The Bont & Taranto selections are very relevant seeing as they were picked ahead of where other clubs rated them & were seen as a risk. This is the point I was making if Ben & Max were taken earlier than expected & GC faced similar scrutiny over taking a risk.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 05 Oct 2019 9:27am
Myron Gaines wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 10:14pm

My guess is the draft would have been suspended while St Kilda fielded some ridiculous offers for Pick 4 from the two S.A. clubs.
Would’ve been great for us. There would’ve been a bidding war for pick 4.