Roberton back in 2020

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

Re: Roberton back in 2020

Wilkie is a better one-on-one contested player and a slightly better intercept mark.

Roberton is a better offensive player with a more penetrating kick and better rebound.

Interesting times.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Great news for Robbo. If we get him back and the only stupid thing we do is trade Bruce away then our 2020 team should look like this:

B: Webster, Carlisle, Geary
HB: Clark, Wilkie, Roberton
C: Hannebery, Steele, Hill
HF: Billings, Battle, Hind
F: Long, King, Membrey

Foll: Marshall, Gresham, Ross
Int: Acres, Coffield, Dunstan, Sinclair

That's a team that would finish between 8th-12th. I'd love for us to not trade Bruce and actually pursue some other gettable talent like Martin, Ah Chee and Langdon. I really hope that the club isn't thinking we can trade Bruce away because we have McCartin and Mayo as genuine options. King is still a massive chance of being a bust and who knows if Battle will be as good forward as he was in defence; Bruce is one of the most important players on the list.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2019 11:34am Great news for Robbo. If we get him back and the only stupid thing we do is trade Bruce away then our 2020 team should look like this:

That's a team that would finish between 8th-12th. I'd love for us to not trade Bruce and actually pursue some other gettable talent like Martin, Ah Chee and Langdon. I really hope that the club isn't thinking we can trade Bruce away because we have McCartin and Mayo as genuine options. King is still a massive chance of being a bust and who knows if Battle will be as good forward as he was in defence; Bruce is one of the most important players on the list.
Surely no one is considering Paddy as a genuine option.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

awesome news.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2019 11:34am Great news for Robbo. If we get him back and the only stupid thing we do is trade Bruce away then our 2020 team should look like this:

I don't disagree. Bruce is structurally important - he crashes packs, runs to the wings and doubles back. He's a heart and soul player and the other players clearly love him. The way it seems to be shaping up is that it will effectively be a 2nd rd pick for Bruce which will then go to Sydney to get Zac Jones. Can't say I'm delighted about that. I personally think we need Bruce much, much more than another half back who's not a particularly good disposer by foot. Didn't Ratten call out the ball butcherers and say that we'll be getting players who can finish their work? Not sure I'd classify Jones as that type of player.

I can see Battle being a terrific forward - as he's shown in his few games previously. He's a natural. Much like as an intercept half back - he reads the play beautifully ... and is a lovely set shot for goal. I don't however think that he can replace Bruce - just not heavy nor tall enough.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Sanctorum
Club Player

I remain sceptical about the chances of Roberton making a comeback next year - his health issue is extremely serious and the risk of doing more serious damage to his heart in the heat of battle is such that it may ultimately force him to make the decision to retire. As someone who has recovered from circular vascular disease, my cardiologist has always impressed on me that it is the time it takes for my heart rate to return to normal following strenuous exercise (I mainly run) that dictates the health of my cardiovascular system, and it would appear that from what Roberton reports this aspect of his heart problem has never been resolved...

Your lineup MSG excludes two other likely additions next year - Zak Jones and Paddy Ryder, both of whom will most assuredly be selected - in the team you've named I would drop Geary and Sinclair, name Coffield in the run-on side, and have Ryder and Jones on the bench. Others that are arguably better players than either Geary and Sinclair include Shane Savage and Jack Lonie...also knocking on the door will be Parker, Paton, Phillips and possibly Bytel. Whichever way you look at this, St Kilda will be fielding a vastly stronger team in 2020!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2019 9:20am Has to be cleared by the AFL and I’m hearing they are not so keen.
Don’t get too excited too early....
Good to hear in a way....we need to move on from years of ongoing medical dramas. I can’t see how insurance companies could feel comfortable enough with this situation. Just need Paddy to be deemed in a similar category and we can really get going again.

I wonder also what our new boy David Lee Rath thinks about it all??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

B: Savage Carslile Geary
HB: Wilke Roberton Clark
C: Hill Hannebery Jones
HF: Billings Bruce Gresham
F: Membrey King Long
R: Marshall Steele Ross

INT: Coffield, Acres Battle Hind
EMG: Dunstan, Webster, Lonie, Mc Kenzie, Ryder,

Out
- Steven for Geelong 2nd round pick
- Newnes (FA) 3rd round pick

In
- Hill & Freo round 2 pick for #5
- Jones for 2 second round picks (Freo & Geelong 2nd round picks)
- Ryder 4th or 5th round pick

In Hill and Jones for #5 and Steven, Ryder for a very, very late pick

Don't see how we can get Crouch as it would take a 1st round pick.
There is no advantage of Crows trading for our 1st rounder next year as they'll get a 1st rounder as compensation if he goes as a free agent.

Tradable who may carry some small currency:
Webster late 2nd to 3rd round pick
Dunstan late 2nd to 3rd round pick
Acres - 2nd to 3rd round pick
McKenzie - late 3rd to 4th round pick
Lonie - late 2nd to 3rd round pick

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Yehaa! Great news.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Robbo hasn’t played a game in a couple of years, and has barely trained.

Will need time to get his match touch and fitness back

Btw
I wouldn’t play again if I was in his situation

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2019 1:23pm and has barely trained.

Has been training since mid-June. But no full contact drills.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98812&p=1803191&hil ... n#p1803191

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
DJ Higgins
Club Player

If you read the article he can play under certain conditions and requirements so I am not getting my hopes op that he will be killing it from day one .

But it is great news regardless if he ever reaches the same heights he once did. The man must be so relieved to at least have a another chance to do what he loves. Well done all involved

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He was meant to be playing this season, didn’t last long.

He has done some light drills, doesn’t take part in match sim

saintbob
SS Life Member

fugazi wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2019 9:05am
saintbob wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2019 12:13am
fugazi wrote: Sun 22 Sep 2019 11:03pm Wilkie is a lock.

Why get Keath?

Robo, Carlisle, Wilkie and Battle all very good intercept marks and good disposers. Brown to play on the gorillas, Geary, Savage and Coffield for smalls , DMac may struggle now.
Clark should push to the midfield.
Webster in before Geary or Savage for mine
Fair call.
I wonder if Geary can reinvent himself as a run with player. He is the best in our side at stopping small forwards, but the development of Coffield demands him a spot of half back, and he looks to be able to deliver with his kicking.
A de Boer type role type role, he’s got the endurance to go with the elite mids.
Steele can then go get the ball

kalsaint
Club Player

Vazelos wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2019 9:20am Has to be cleared by the AFL and I’m hearing they are not so keen.
Don’t get too excited too early....
Yes My wife has atrial fibrillation and while this isn't the same as Robertons condition irregularly heart beats can lead to various issues. They would want to be super sure of his bodies ability to be managed correctly.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency