If we get Jones and Hill...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

johnnyrayflamingo
Club Player

If we get Jones and Hill...

...then where does Billings play?

Jones and Hill are going to be our no1 wingers if these very likely trades go through. It's great to have depth in any case but maybe Billings will play that high HF role again and Ratts might be wanting 20-30 goals out of him.

Our side is looking better already for 2020.

Chuck Hannas in the guts. It's a very good centreline there Saints fans.

😎
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: If we get Jones and Hill...

Do we really need Jones? I was thinking that Hind could play on the wing.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

How do we get Hill and Jones with picks 5 and 55.

Hanneberry won't be in the guts, he'll be in rehab.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
The_President
Club Player

You must be on drugs if you think that Jones is a better winger than Jack

johnnyrayflamingo
Club Player

The_President wrote: Mon 16 Sep 2019 9:34pm You must be on drugs if you think that Jones is a better winger than Jack
He's not. Jones is not a forward. He is a mid. Understand?

😎
johnnyrayflamingo
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Mon 16 Sep 2019 9:27pm How do we get Hill and Jones with picks 5 and 55.

Hanneberry won't be in the guts, he'll be in rehab.
Future picks or split pick 5 or Bruce trade...perhaps.

😎
johnnyrayflamingo
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Mon 16 Sep 2019 9:26pm Do we really need Jones? I was thinking that Hind could play on the wing.
Keep Hind forward. I really like him there. It's all about depth too.

😎
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Quick side

Nee!
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Sorry for the dumb question, but who is Jones? The only Jones I can think of is that aging Melbourne player.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Mon 16 Sep 2019 11:02pm Sorry for the dumb question, but who is Jones? The only Jones I can think of is that aging Melbourne player.
His brother at Sydney.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Mon 16 Sep 2019 9:26pm Do we really need Jones? I was thinking that Hind could play on the wing.
10000% agree.

When Hind was making a name for himself least couple of years - he played on a wing and half-back in Essendon's VFL team. When he made an impact this year in his few senior games for us - it was not as a small forward (I didn't think he was super impressive there) - it was with straight-line speed off a wing and then pin-point accurate short kicks to leading forwards. It's that skill that Essendon supporters go mental about now not having - they already have Saad and McKenna but Hind is a better kick than both of them. Instead they took Tom Jok (who trained with us over Summer) after we stole Hind ... ultimate sliding doors drafting.

I've been wondering for weeks where Zac Jones might play in our team. Yes, he's fast and aggressive but, he's not nearly as good a kick as Hind so, I settled on it being perhaps where Savage plays.

Go you red, black & white warriors
stkfc1
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 17 Sep 2019 1:06pm
10000% agree.

When Hind was making a name for himself least couple of years - he played on a wing and half-back in Essendon's VFL team. When he made an impact this year in his few senior games for us - it was not as a small forward (I didn't think he was super impressive there) - it was with straight-line speed off a wing and then pin-point accurate short kicks to leading forwards. It's that skill that Essendon supporters go mental about now not having - they already have Saad and McKenna but Hind is a better kick than both of them. Instead they took Tom Jok (who trained with us over Summer) after we stole Hind ... ultimate sliding doors drafting.

I've been wondering for weeks where Zac Jones might play in our team. Yes, he's fast and aggressive but, he's not nearly as good a kick as Hind so, I settled on it being perhaps where Savage plays.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=S&type=A

Some comparisons (obviously they play different positions)

His KE is slightly higher than Hind but more clangers and turnover although he gets a lot more of the ball so those stat differentials are going to happen. At 71% KE its not terrible. I was surprised that Hinds KE was lower as he looks likr he uses the ball quite well. Jones does have a habit (ala Gilbert, Geary) of turning it over at the worst possible time, in the games I've seen of him this year so there'll be some frustrating moments with him.

Comparing him to Savage.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=S&type=A

Savage has him well covered in the kicking department but Jones has him covered in most other areas.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

If both Jones and Hill come in, then players have to move out. Steven looks like he's going, so you could say Steven for Hill (indirectly, of course). The next question is does Jones become an addition to our midfield or will he displace someone? Acres could be part of the Hill deal, but when has Acres truly played as a mid? Could it mean that someone like Sinclair could be thrown into a deal? It's going to get very complicated, and we may be in for some surprises....... some pleasant, some not

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I think Nick Hind is also born to play on the wing. I'd like to see Jack go through the middle a bit more.