What’s the latest on Jack Steven?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Re: What’s the latest on Jack Steven?

Bizarre they didn’t pick him last night. Let Grundy roam unattended. At least Rhys can run. He was a beautiful kick also but I doubt we want him back.

Always loyal
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Geelong may want to reconsider their List Management strategy. They may very well go out in straight sets.

Ablett, Hawkins and Taylor are done. Selwood is well past his peak and they're losing Kelly. They also appear to have a lame duck Coach.

Do they need an ageing mid in Steven? Their window may very well be closed. Can they afford to move on Constable?

I reckon they may need to consider the fact they need to embark on a full rebuild.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

My mate says Jack bought a house in Lorne. Which I think is odd. My mate works for a real estate group and his mate told him he sold a house to Jack last weekend. Lots of second hand info, so don't know.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2019 1:09pm Geelong may want to reconsider their List Management strategy. They may very well go out in straight sets.

Ablett, Hawkins and Taylor are done. Selwood is well past his peak and they're losing Kelly. They also appear to have a lame duck Coach.

Do they need an ageing mid in Steven? Their window may very well be closed. Can they afford to move on Constable?

I reckon they may need to consider the fact they need to embark on a full rebuild.
I think Geelong are just fine (as much as I hate to say that). Yep, could go out in straight sets, but aren’t about to fall off any cliff. Hawkins is fine, Selwood fine, they have got good game time in some promising youngsters and guys like danger, Blicavs, Duncan are in their prime. If they get a good ruckman they’ll be thereabouts again...again...as much as I hate to admit it.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

SAINT-LEE poreally [u wrote:[/u]st_id=1823115 time=1567824112 user_id=23461]
My mate says Jack bought a house in Lorne. Which I think is odd. My mate works for a real estate group and his mate told him he sold a house to Jack last weekend. Lots of second hand info, so don't know.
so, a mate of your mate...
that's actually not second hand, it's as diluted as a homeopathic tincture

Lorne...Jack might be planning for life after footy, rent it out for a few years until he retires
or renovate it and sell for a profit.
If in fact its true at all, or just your mate winding you up as he knows you're a Saints fan.

See, If he told you it was him who sold it, then he'd be at risk of being found out, if you revisited the topic in a few months
To be a good liar, you need a good memory.

But him saying that another agent sold it, takes him (your mate) out of the danger zone

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2019 1:09pm Geelong may want to reconsider their List Management strategy. They may very well go out in straight sets.

LOL, they finished the season on top of the ladder.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
longtimesaint
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote: Mon 09 Sep 2019 7:30am

I watched them closely on Friday and I think there are signs that they are in decline.
Their best player this year is Kelly and he is leaving, and the older core of Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor, Ablett and Toovey are looking tired.
They also rely heavily on Dangerfield as he was the only one to keep them anywhere near in touch.
They also have no decent ruck so I expect them to slide next year.

One year will be our year
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

And they were touched up (the scoreboard flattered them) by the team that finished fourth. Their top spot finish had more to do with been one of the few teams with a real home ground advantage.

axcellence
Club Player

Well, Higgins re-signed with North.

That means Cats lose Kelly and don’t get Higgins.

This is probably why the Steven camp has been quiet as they’ve been waiting for the cats priority signings to finalise.

Once they sort out Kelly they will get to Steven.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

axcellence wrote: Tue 17 Sep 2019 1:49pm Well, Higgins re-signed with North.

That means Cats lose Kelly and don’t get Higgins.

This is probably why the Steven camp has been quiet as they’ve been waiting for the cats priority signings to finalise.

Once they sort out Kelly they will get to Steven.
I think that's how it plays out too. Will be interesting - Cats were very keen on Goldstein and Higgins and got neither. I'd think if Ablett retires then they'll have a pretty serious need to inject some pace and goal smarts into their team.

I'd really love the 2017/8 version of Jack Steven to stay at Moorabbin when all said and done

Go you red, black & white warriors
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

It’s quite possible we end up keeping Stuv but he struggles to get back to his previous form and becomes that another B grader.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

In economics (and football), things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 8:01pm Seperate issues

Are you saying he was not happy because he didn’t get traded, and stopped playing?
Even though he is on a 600k contract.

Players can’t just move when they want, there is mechanisms that don’t allow that.

Drafting, trading, contracts.
Potentially not so far off....
Imagine a player and his wife want to move.
He can't. His club wants him still.
His wife is applying lots of pressure.
She begins to travel back and forth without him and stay with friends and family from let's say 1-4 days at a time.

He's alone.
He might see someone else whilst lonely and make some bad choices.
Now his missus finds out and she leaves.
Bloke not only has his wife to contend but also sadly s*** in his own backyard.

Now he is depressed and anxious and a wreck.

That's quite a connection from - I want to go....

Also seen it play out with homesickness leading to drugs and alcohol.

So, yes. Being denied a move ( particularly when he literally begged Richo & co.) can ( doesn't HAVE to) have big consequences....if this was a true story....but yes, all fake news, never happened, shut my mouth, move on, prove it or remove it, all crap lies, dont post it unless you have sworn statements, cctv and forensic evidence, etc etc etc.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-tr ... 3521d5dfca

“What’s going to come back to the Saints for Jack Steven? It’ll be a mid to late pick, maybe a second-round pick, maybe a third-round pick.

“At the moment Geelong has Picks 34 and 52 — and I’d be very shocked if it wasn’t one of those picks that isn’t used for Jack Steven.”

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Tue 17 Sep 2019 5:29pm
B.M wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 8:01pm Seperate issues

Are you saying he was not happy because he didn’t get traded, and stopped playing?
Even though he is on a 600k contract.

Players can’t just move when they want, there is mechanisms that don’t allow that.

Drafting, trading, contracts.
Potentially not so far off....
Imagine a player and his wife want to move.
He can't. His club wants him still.
His wife is applying lots of pressure.
She begins to travel back and forth without him and stay with friends and family from let's say 1-4 days at a time.

He's alone.
He might see someone else whilst lonely and make some bad choices.
Now his missus finds out and she leaves.
Bloke not only has his wife to contend but also sadly s*** in his own backyard.

Now he is depressed and anxious and a wreck.

That's quite a connection from - I want to go....

Also seen it play out with homesickness leading to drugs and alcohol.

So, yes. Being denied a move ( particularly when he literally begged Richo & co.) can ( doesn't HAVE to) have big consequences....if this was a true story....but yes, all fake news, never happened, shut my mouth, move on, prove it or remove it, all crap lies, dont post it unless you have sworn statements, cctv and forensic evidence, etc etc etc.
Yeah but it’s not like he’s on the other side of the country, it’s an hour down the road, and he’s (should be) a millionaire!

I find it hard to believe a compromise couldn’t be made if that is the case. This whole thing stinks to me, and the sooner he’s out and we can say what we really think the better 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I've heard, don't know how reliable the info is, that Jack is considering whether he'll play at all next year. If he decides to keep playing, apparently there's a fair chance he'll stay.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 11:06am https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-tr ... 3521d5dfca

“What’s going to come back to the Saints for Jack Steven? It’ll be a mid to late pick, maybe a second-round pick, maybe a third-round pick.

“At the moment Geelong has Picks 34 and 52 — and I’d be very shocked if it wasn’t one of those picks that isn’t used for Jack Steven.”

He’s had a few problems as anyone would after a marriage breakdown, but I’m not convinced - as some seem to be - that he’s a broken down old hack.

If Geelong can get him right, and I think they will, he’s got two or three seasons at near his peak, playing in finals.

And we’ll have let a CONTRACTED four-time b&f walk for pick 34?

We’d want to pull a rabbit out of the hat with that pick. Actually I feel for the guy we select. There will be a lot of pressure on him to measure up.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Unacceptable. Got to get something decent for him.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 11:06am https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-tr ... 3521d5dfca

What a rubbish report. Just filling space

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2019 8:37am So the Cats made it pretty clear they don't rate Rhys Stanley. And we need a ruck/forward to complement Rowan Marshall.

Stanley is capable in the ruck, capable forward and has good pace and agility around the ground.

Should St Kilda be interested?
No. He's a dud.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We take pick 52 for Steven

We are a loser club

johnnyrayflamingo
Club Player

We are freeing up say 600-750k in cap space after Jack leaves.

If we add in Hill and Jones (who are both well under 30) then we have a way better midfield already that is going to be around much longer then Steven. Hill is a better player than Steven for starters on his own. We have already won but I hope we get as much out of the Cats as possible.

Personally, I don't think Jack Steven will ever be the same player again, even if he stays at the Saints.

😎
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Should get Constable & 52!

PADDLEPOP1000
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 1:50pm We take pick 52 for Steven

We are a loser club
+1

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

For my ten cents,

a) Jack definitely wants to go, and love for mates at our club equals said mates telling Jack, “all good bro, do what you have to, leave cause we still love you and would do the same”
b) Jacks value has dropped drastically. Never mind the first game back where he kicked goals, he also made blunders and looked cooked in the next game, is not young, and although the Cats would be interested, they may be luke-warm interested. He can expect games in the seconds at the Cats at this point....that said, could star for a season if he gets fit and fortune favors..
c)Jacks value to us going forward is diminishing..unless he shows a whole lot of personal change...say, maybe gets into a Luke Hodge kinda role, and then that would be fantastic...at this point though, it looks like he would be just going if he stays ...(notwithstanding, he could be as good as our current B & F which is just fair..due to lack of class in the teammates around him)
d) Stanley wouldn’t be bad back at Moorabbin. I wouldn’t mind him back.
e) Geelong will likely still be a force for a few years yet, partly because of their home ground thing and the current state of the AFL with several clubs in the basket/hospital category. Don’t forget that the Brisbane thing maybe a flash ‘n the pan and could be back in basket territory quickly, and the AFL will subsidize as Bulldogs, Saints, Roos and Demons are allowed to struggle on with just enough welfare to sustain their mediocrity.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!