Ryder to Saints (two year deal)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ryder to Saints (two year deal)

Back to Ryder

Someone tell me where he plays when Marshall spends 70% of the game in the ruck?

Myron Gaines
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 9:05pm Back to Ryder

Someone tell me where he plays when Marshall spends 70% of the game in the ruck?
Forward & if that doesn’t work then he plays for Sandy. What the club pitches to him & what actually occurs are two separate things. He needs to perform as a forward which you clearly believe he won’t or he doesn’t get a game.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ryder can f*** off.

No interest here.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

He never has performed as a forward before

27 goals is the most he’s kicked in a season, which was a year he only average 15 hit outs, so he obviously played as a forward ruck.

Career average of 0.7 goals

Again, if I was picking a guy who was going to play majority Forward and relief ruck... I’d want him to be a better forward than ruckman.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 9:07pm
What the club pitches to him & what actually occurs are two separate things.
1/ Wow. That would be the most likely way ever to completely stuff a club. Lie to all players deliberately before they even arrive.

2/ The strategy you are stating that the club has then is that they will figure things out as they go and hope for the best.

Recruiting Ryder as a first 22 players makes no sense.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 8:49pm
B.M wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 8:27pm Do you think that’s what Ryder’s thinking.

He wants to leave Port because he’s not #1 and they found out (as we will) two ruckmen do not work.

Ryder is a useless forward
Dude, how about using the quote function?

No one kmows who the f*** you're talking to.
Yep it’s a deliberate plot to keep his posting conversations murky.

Makes it harder for other posters to piece together the ridiculous and more often silly points.

Still hasn’t explained how this is at all comparable to 2009? Conveniently avoiding it now makes me think the worst.
Last edited by Spinner on Sat 31 Aug 2019 10:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 10:42pm
1/ Wow. That would be the most likely way ever to completely stuff a club. Lie to all players deliberately before they even arrive.

2/ The strategy you are stating that the club has then is that they will figure things out as they go and hope for the best.

Not at all. Club recruits Ryder & intends for him to play. It’s then up to Ryder to add value to the team & make sure he retains his spot in the 22. Same goes for any new recruit/any player on our list.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 10:50pm

Not at all. Club recruits Ryder & intends for him to play. It’s then up to Ryder to add value to the team & make sure he retains his spot in the 22. Same goes for any new recruit/any player on our list.

Exactly, the most idiotic tone in this thread is that posters are unhappy a player we recruit might push for 22 selection. Scared at the thought.

They would prefer a VFL no name in some cases, no backup ruck in others, an 18 yo pick 50+ (which we might still do)... or no one which is stupid. Also laughable are the posters wanting Stanley back, a player also playing VFL this year.

Very simple. If he’s good enough he plays, if not he plays VFL. This is a cheap, experienced ruckman with a wealth of knowledge to pass on a young developing ruck named Marshall.

Where was the outrage with Rix, Matt Clarke and Steven King? Even Adam Patterson. They were all more washed up than Ryder...

BarryGrogan
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 9:04pm Doesn’t take much intelligence to work out who I was replying to... and no, I don’t quote, haven’t done in 20 years.

If you can’t work out who I’m replying to in the thread, you’re either dumb or to lazy to read
How old are you? Like 60?

You're on an internet forum. There's certain etiquette that makes forum discussions flow and make sense for everyone involved.

The quote function is a fundamental one.

Just use it you flogger.

You've probably responded to me heaps, but I wouldn't have a clue unless you quote me.

If you don't engage with people, you're just talking at them. Then what's the point of even coming on a forum?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Lol...Bigmart never quotes. Just get used to it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 10:58pm

Exactly, the most idiotic tone in this thread is that posters are unhappy a player we recruit might push for 22 selection. Scared at the thought.

It is not a problem bringing in a player to push for best 22.

It is gifting a a player a spot in our first 22 , and in also then playing him in the position of a player who was better in that position.

That means that you no longer have a best 22.
They would prefer a VFL no name in some cases, no backup ruck in others, an 18 yo pick 50+ (which we might still do)... or no one which is stupid. Also laughable are the posters wanting Stanley back, a player also playing VFL this year.

YES as we only a require a back up ruck.

We do not require an aging ruckman to do a poor job at CHF just so when Marshall requires a chop out that we are better in the ruck.

Being better for 20% of the game for 80% of the game is very poor logic.

Spinner wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 10:58pm Very simple. If he’s good enough he plays, if not he plays VFL. This is a cheap, experienced ruckman with a wealth of knowledge to pass on a young developing ruck named Marshall.
Not so simple. It depends on what expectation he is given before he joins. It depends on what players the club might move out based upon a flawed strategy.

As I have stated ALL along if he joins as a BACK_UP ruck knowing that he will be playing reserves footy then all well and good.

But if joins with a undeserved golden ticket to be in the firsts and expectation that is his right then now way.

Spinner wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 10:58pm Where was the outrage with Rix, Matt Clarke and Steven King? Even Adam Patterson. They were all more washed up than Ryder...
None were gifted a spot in the first 22. They had to earn it. The distinction is quite clear and simple.

PS. As to no outrage you have a short memory. Most generated a lot of negative discussion at the time.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Honestly what do think Ryder will do for 80% of the game?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If Ryder comes in and if they get rid of Bruce we need both King and Marshall to play forward. If you want a durable capable second ruck who is very very good as a forward we have one in Rowan Marshall.

We know RoMa can play both roles and it'll help him in the long run if he doesn't cop the bash and crash of the centre ruck duals each and every week. If Ryder is durable for a year or two it could work out while Max fills out and then we play Marshall as the number 1 ruck.

My only doubt is whether Ryder is durable enough. Can we please get a different medical team to examine him from the team that tested Hannas

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I see the logic there. We take a guy who may be as good, or better, than Grundie in the ruck and instead try and turn into being a CHF a role that I doubt he will be as good in. (Did you not see his contested ball work in the ruck contests this year?)

And we make do with for our No 1 Ruck a guy past his best who will only keep fading. 2021 he will be worse.

The irony there of course is that Port are squeezing out Ryder as they want to give the 21 year old Ladham's his head. And you want the Saints do the opposite and insert Ryder as our No 1 ruck :(

Meanwhile our perfectly capable Bruce who at 27 is now in his peak years as a CHF we give the heave ho....

With a strategy like that a wooden spoon or two beckons.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 01 Sep 2019 12:27am

It is not a problem bringing in a player to push for best 22.

It is gifting a a player a spot in our first 22 , and in also then playing him in the position of a player who was better in that position.

That means that you no longer have a best 22.

YES as we only a require a back up ruck.

We do not require an aging ruckman to do a poor job at CHF just so when Marshall requires a chop out that we are better in the ruck.

Being better for 20% of the game for 80% of the game is very poor logic.

Spinner wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 10:58pm Very simple. If he’s good enough he plays, if not he plays VFL. This is a cheap, experienced ruckman with a wealth of knowledge to pass on a young developing ruck named Marshall.
Not so simple. It depends on what expectation he is given before he joins. It depends on what players the club might move out based upon a flawed strategy.

As I have stated ALL along if he joins as a BACK_UP ruck knowing that he will be playing reserves footy then all well and good.

But if joins with a undeserved golden ticket to be in the firsts and expectation that is his right then now way.

Spinner wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 10:58pm Where was the outrage with Rix, Matt Clarke and Steven King? Even Adam Patterson. They were all more washed up than Ryder...
None were gifted a spot in the first 22. They had to earn it. The distinction is quite clear and simple.

PS. As to no outrage you have a short memory. Most generated a lot of negative discussion at the time.

This is a very hysterical post.

How someone can freak that a player will be gifted games before they have even signed is frightening.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 11:37pm
B.M wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 9:04pm Doesn’t take much intelligence to work out who I was replying to... and no, I don’t quote, haven’t done in 20 years.

If you can’t work out who I’m replying to in the thread, you’re either dumb or to lazy to read
How old are you? Like 60?

You're on an internet forum. There's certain etiquette that makes forum discussions flow and make sense for everyone involved.

Just use it you flogger.

You've probably responded to me heaps, but I wouldn't have a clue unless you quote me.

If you don't engage with people, you're just talking at them. Then what's the point of even coming on a forum?

Agree 100%.

Should be against forum rules.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 01 Sep 2019 12:32am Honestly what do think Ryder will do for 80% of the game?
Breathe sRr.

I don't think Ryder is leaving Port because of promises or guarantees of being in the best 22. He wants a minimum 2 year contract. Port offered 1. Port have two half reasonable rucks, at least, yet still offered Ryder a 1 year deal. Ryder played SANFL this year so knows he's not undropable.

We have 1 ruckman & a woeful history (recent) of rucks. We will also likely get a kid as well as a Nicholls or Lobbe or State ruck.

Someone stated Ryder goes at 0.7 goals a game. If that's true, forget rucking, he could be one of our small forwards!

IF we get Ryder & IF Ryder presents in 2020 that he is a part of our best 22 then he will play in our seniors. Whatever happens, I know we have to do something different than what we've been doing now because we are bottom 6, now.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Big Mart - you know you piss everyone off by not using the quote function.

Do you need lessons on how to use it?

You offer a lot to the forum - please don’t self destruct yet again.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I think the use of the "Thank" button is much more telling about whether a poster listens to or respects what other posters are saying.

Whilst I agree, the quote function should be used when replying directly to a post, sometimes it is overused, to the point it's unreadable. Quotes somehow should max out at 3 or 4, in my opinion.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Sandringham

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
happy feet
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 11:57pm Lol...Bigmart never quotes. Just get used to it.
Oh is B. M. Big Mart. I thought he departed his forum in a flourish of sanctimony. I guess I can look forward to more abuse pm’s because I told him to nick off.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 01 Sep 2019 8:59am

Whilst I agree, the quote function should be used when replying directly to a post, sometimes it is overused, to the point it's unreadable. Quotes somehow should max out at 3 or 4, in my opinion.
I agree, which is why I strip out the earlier parts when I only need the last part. As in this post.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 01 Sep 2019 8:50am
Breathe sRr.

IF we get Ryder & IF Ryder presents in 2020 that he is a part of our best 22 then he will play in our seniors. Whatever happens, I know we have to do something different than what we've been doing now because we are bottom 6, now.
As I have stated.

- If the plan is to recruit him as a genuine back up ruck I am fine with the plan.

- If the plan is to replace Bruce, then I am not fine with the plan.

Obviously we are just all speculating at present, and proof will be in the pudding.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 01 Sep 2019 1:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Sun 01 Sep 2019 7:15am

How someone can freak that a player will be gifted games before they have even signed is frightening.
Sorry but players when being recruited will have a discussion about their most probable role at the club.

In this case, IF a player was going to be recruited as primarily a back-up ruck then all parties would be best served by it being discussed and agreed to up front.

Yes things can evolve but if Ryder say joined thinking he was clearly first 22, and if the club actually were thinking you only play when Marshall goes down, or for particular "horses for courses" game then that would end up causing a very bad dynamic at the club.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

It is, and if no one used the quote function the forum would be unreadable. BM can only can make sense of it because he is the only one that does not quote.

BM has a chip on his shoulder and this oddly is one way that he chooses to try and knock the chip off. That it actually achieves the complete opposite has not entered his thinking. This only adds to the chips that he carries.