Jack Steele

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Jack Steele

takeaway wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 9:09am
Scollop wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 5:21pm Call me dumb, but I reckon one of the most important jobs for a coach is team selection

Jack Steele was the first bloke deemed worthy of being dropped from the team in 2018 when we were pantsed by North in the Good Friday debacle. That was also the game where it was the 20th or 30th opportunity for Longer, where Longer had been favoured ahead of our other ruck options. I think Billy repaid his coach's faith with 1 disposal for the whole match.

No Teddy or Cairnsman around so I can safely post without getting a reply of 'Alan, Alan, Alan'

.....maybe
Oh, 'Alan, Alan, Alan'.

Don't worry Mr Scolop, there will always be someone on here to correct your fairy stories. Steele did not have a great game in Rd 1 vs Bris, which we won essentially due to Jack Steven. We got beaten in the clearances, Steele got a few handballs but was largely ineffective. Koby Stevens was our main defensive mid, and quelled Zorko in that game. We all know what happened to Koby after the next game vs North. Steele was dropped, but came back as the main defensive, tagging mid, learnt the role by tagging the opposition's best mids, improved defensively, and then offensively, to become the player he is today. Good management by Saints heirarchy, including Richo.

The style of ruckwork required today has seemingly passed Billy by, but people seem to forget he gave us very good service in 2015 (carried the rucks at a young age), and also 2017, when tap outs mattered more, and Billy was one of the best in that regard.
I’m curious to know what stats have ever supported Billy being one of best tap ruckman in the game. Seems like a bit of ongoing myth to me.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
takeaway
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 8:30am
Scollop wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 5:21pm Call me dumb, but I reckon one of the most important jobs for a coach is team selection

Jack Steele was the first bloke deemed worthy of being dropped from the team in 2018 when we were pantsed by North in the Good Friday debacle. That was also the game where it was the 20th or 30th opportunity for Longer, where Longer had been favoured ahead of our other ruck options. I think Billy repaid his coach's faith with 1 disposal for the whole match.

No Teddy or Cairnsman around so I can safely post without getting a reply of 'Alan, Alan, Alan'

.....maybe
Oh, 'Alan, Alan, Alan'.

Don't worry Mr Scolop, there will always be someone on here to correct your fairy stories. Steele did not have a great game in Rd 1 vs Bris, which we won essentially due to Jack Steven. We got beaten in the clearances, Steele got a few handballs but was largely ineffective. Koby Stevens was our main defensive mid, and quelled Zorko in that game. We all know what happened to Koby after the next game vs North. Steele was dropped, but came back as the main defensive, tagging mid, learnt the role by tagging the opposition's best mids, improved defensively, and then offensively, to become the player he is today. Good management by Saints heirarchy, including Richo.

The style of ruckwork required today has seemingly passed Billy by, but people seem to forget he gave us very good service in 2015 (carried the rucks at a young age), and also 2017, when tap outs mattered more, and Billy was one of the best in that regard.
I’m curious to know what stats have ever supported Billy being one of best tap ruckman in the game. Seems like a bit of ongoing myth to me.
I was talking 2017 when Billy last played a majority of the season. Third behind Sandilands & Jacobs in average hitouts, and Sandilands only played 10 games. (Although he would be up the top anyway). Billy was also up in the stats in 2015 at a young age. I am not too keen on stats, but that gives some indication. Has always been very competitive, and normally ahead, in the hitouts.
However, mobility and involvement around the ground is now more important that tap out superiority, so that is a problem for Billy.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... t=LA&st=HO

barneyboyz
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 5:35pm
barneyboyz wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 3:11pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 2:14pm It's ok. I understand that you have no clue what I value in a player. I was at the Demons game in 2017 at the G when we had a chance to make finals. It was a Dees home game and we started really poorly that day and fought our way back to be within a kick early in the last. NJB wasn't the only guy that cost us, but he certainly didn't help

Several times that day I saw Nathan make simple errors that a guy of his experience shouldn't be making. He missed the footy when he went to spoil, he got outposistioned and most damning for a Full Back, he failed to kill a ball and knock it out of bounds in a marking contest or knock it towards the boundary line and he actually punched it into the corridor. It resulted in an easy Melbourne goal and gave them back the momentum

Anyhow. Thanks for the chat
To be fair, and not being critical of you, but no Full Back should be blamed for losses, it wasn't Shannahan's fault in 97 and it certainly hasn't been NJB's fault either. Dees were on a purple patch back then and Jimmy Harmes cut us a new one, and he wasn't playing at FF

History will ultimately see that Richo started our (and his) demise through 2017, it's quite simple really, once we start winning under a new coach
Not Shanahan's fault? Sure, that's why the club told him to f*** off and not come back. He went to the dees the next year, and I for one held him mostly responsible and was glad he never got to wear saints colours again.
Jeez mate, I reckon you could hold an argument that footy had passed him by, but that's a bit rough. If I could put myself through it, I'd like to have another look at the replay...yeah, nah it's not gunna happen :wink:

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
saynta
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 3:39pm
saynta wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 5:35pm
barneyboyz wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 3:11pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 2:14pm It's ok. I understand that you have no clue what I value in a player. I was at the Demons game in 2017 at the G when we had a chance to make finals. It was a Dees home game and we started really poorly that day and fought our way back to be within a kick early in the last. NJB wasn't the only guy that cost us, but he certainly didn't help

Several times that day I saw Nathan make simple errors that a guy of his experience shouldn't be making. He missed the footy when he went to spoil, he got outposistioned and most damning for a Full Back, he failed to kill a ball and knock it out of bounds in a marking contest or knock it towards the boundary line and he actually punched it into the corridor. It resulted in an easy Melbourne goal and gave them back the momentum

Anyhow. Thanks for the chat
To be fair, and not being critical of you, but no Full Back should be blamed for losses, it wasn't Shannahan's fault in 97 and it certainly hasn't been NJB's fault either. Dees were on a purple patch back then and Jimmy Harmes cut us a new one, and he wasn't playing at FF

History will ultimately see that Richo started our (and his) demise through 2017, it's quite simple really, once we start winning under a new coach
Not Shanahan's fault? Sure, that's why the club told him to f*** off and not come back. He went to the Dees the next year, and I for one held him mostly responsible and was glad he never got to wear the Saints colours again.
Jeez mate, I reckon you could hold an argument that footy had passed him by, but that's a bit rough. If I could put myself through it, I'd like to have another look at the replay...yeah, nah it's not gunna happen :wink:
He should have knocked that fat dumb f*** out. Cowboy would have. He stopped Hudson in 71, only trouble is they then put that bastard Keddie at full forward.

You are like me, I have never watch a replay of any of our grand final games apart from bits and pieces of '66. And I never will.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

takeaway wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 9:35am

.....maybe
Oh, 'Alan, Alan, Alan'.

I was talking 2017 when Billy last played a majority of the season. Third behind Sandilands & Jacobs in average hitouts, and Sandilands only played 10 games. (Although he would be up the top anyway). Billy was also up in the stats in 2015 at a young age. I am not too keen on stats, but that gives some indication. Has always been very competitive, and normally ahead, in the hitouts.
However, mobility and involvement around the ground is now more important that tap out superiority, so that is a problem for Billy.

Interesting statistics. They don’t lie and yes, Billy was very serviceable in 2017 when Hickey’s form dropped.

Agreed that mobility is becoming on ongoing issue for Billy but unfortunately, so is his work at the stoppages. It may be because of injury, but since 2018, he was frequently bested by his opponents in the centre.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

.....maybe
That's the perfect example of why Richo wasn't up to it. He literally could not see past the end of his self interested/preservation nose. It's why Weller was continually played; why Newnes played 120+ straight etc. He had no clue at Match Committee.

FFS - how could we not be a better team with Jack Steele in it?

Go you red, black & white warriors
takeaway
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 4:31pm

.....maybe
That's the perfect example of why Richo wasn't up to it. He literally could not see past the end of his self interested/preservation nose. It's why Weller was continually played; why Newnes played 120+ straight etc. He had no clue at Match Committee.

FFS - how could we not be a better team with Jack Steele in it?
Agree, Jack Steele has now developed to an extent that he is one of the first picked. However, his first two games in 2018 were not good, so he was dropped, and rightfully so. Came back well and improved from there.

takeaway
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 2:55pm
takeaway wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 9:35am

.....maybe
Oh, 'Alan, Alan, Alan'.

Interesting statistics. They don’t lie and yes, Billy was very serviceable in 2017 when Hickey’s form dropped.

Agreed that mobility is becoming on ongoing issue for Billy but unfortunately, so is his work at the stoppages. It may be because of injury, but since 2018, he was frequently bested by his opponents in the centre.
Didn't notice Billy's drop in competitiveness at stoppages in his whole 5 games in 2018 and one in 2019. Interesting that we won 3 of our 4 wins last year during Billy's 5 games. Based on his form in limited games in 2018/19, agree he is not up to the modern trends re mobility, and it would require a dramatic improvement in this regard for him to get back in the side. Probably gone anyway.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

takeaway wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 6:31pm [quote=SydneySainter post_id=<a href="tel:1817196">1817196</a> time=<a href="tel:1565841334">1565841334</a> user_id=7245]
[quote=takeaway post_id=<a href="tel:1816881">1816881</a> time=<a href="tel:1565735748">1565735748</a> user_id=20194]
[quote=SydneySainter post_id=<a href="tel:1816871">1816871</a> time=<a href="tel:1565731835">1565731835</a> user_id=7245]
[quote=takeaway post_id=<a href="tel:1816565">1816565</a> time=<a href="tel:1565647786">1565647786</a> user_id=20194]
[quote=Scollop post_id=<a href="tel:1816380">1816380</a> time=<a href="tel:1565590915">1565590915</a> user_id=19933]
Call me dumb, but I reckon one of the most important jobs for a coach is team selection

Jack Steele was the first bloke deemed worthy of being dropped from the team in 2018 when we were pantsed by North in the Good Friday debacle. Hi That was also the game where it was the 20th or 30th opportunity for Longer, where Longer had been favoured ahead of our other ruck options. I think Billy repaid his coach's faith with 1 disposal for the whole match.

.....maybe
Oh, 'Alan, Alan, Alan'.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Didn't notice Billy's drop in competitiveness at stoppages in his whole 5 games in 2018 and one in 2019. Interesting that we won 3 of our 4 wins last year during Billy's 5 games. Based on his form in limited games in 2018/19, agree he is not up to the modern trends re mobility, and it would require a dramatic improvement in this regard for him to get back in the side. Probably gone anyway.
[/quote]

In two of those three wins, Billy’s opponent was close to, if not actually best on ground - Martin & Gawn.

Like I said, could be injury. Not questioning his competitiveness, but his output at the stoppages are a mile off what they used to be.

jaxons
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 10:37pm My choice for skipper. Has a real resolve about him, given a job & never gives up, doesn't back down, despises losing. Has a fair bit of "C" in him.
Totally agree he should be captain next year.
Has captaincy traits written all over him.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 10:43pm
Ghost Like wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 10:37pm My choice for skipper. Has a real resolve about him, given a job & never gives up, doesn't back down, despises losing. Has a fair bit of "C" in him.
Good clean living Canberra boy too.

St Loxton
Club Player

jaxons wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 10:43pm
Is he the kinda guy that desires that kind of status Jaxon's?
Looks a natural leader on the turf. You would go to war with him.

St Loxton
Club Player

We lost today, thats that.

Our boy took down a smiling happy future champion of the game today.
No doubting Cripps is the prototype clearance beast.

He only had 22 disposals, (5 kicks), 1 mark 6 tackles
Jack Steele his direct opponent had 20 disposals (6 kicks) 3 marks and 14 tackles

Jack was super today.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Not enough tried as hard as he did.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

St Loxton wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 8:10pm We lost today, thats that.

Jack Steele his direct opponent had 20 disposals (6 kicks) 3 marks and 14 tackles

Jack was super today.
Cripps spent the morning in hospital with an ear infection. But if you are declared fit to play..........

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 8:20pm
St Loxton wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 8:10pm We lost today, thats that.

Jack was super today.
Cripps spent the morning in hospital with an ear infection. But if you are declared fit to play..........
Steel did the job on him last time too so has form

“Yeah….nah””