Caro on Ben King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

longtimesaint
Club Player

Re: Caro on Ben King

Very harsh on Carlisle as he had no pre season and a back operation meaning he didn’t play till after the bye.

One year will be our year
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I spoke to Benny King last night, he said I have the
Young Boy Blues and I wanna play for St.Kilda. Originally he was in Ecstasy when he was drafted by the Suns but his First Taste Of Love in football was as a supporter of the Saints, How Can I Forget? I had to come to Qld and give it my best Til I Can't Take It No More. He added, I'm Standing By for a trade and I Count The Tears until This Magic Moment. I wrote Seven Letters a week to my bro Max pleading him to get the Saints to Stand By Me, he wrote back saying, just let the Suns know It's All Over and we will get it done. He ended by saying that
he was looking forward to Grooving with Max and the boys and that if the Suns didn't trade him he would run away like the Hermit On Misty Mountain for a year, it's not my desired outcome but I hope the Suns Don't Drive Me Away cause I will stand aside and I will Do It In The Name Of Love. Anyway CQ, I gotta go, Here Comes The Night.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 11:38am I spoke to Benny King last night, he said I have the
Young Boy Blues and I wanna play for St.Kilda. Originally he was in Ecstasy when he was drafted by the Suns but his First Taste Of Love in football was as a supporter of the Saints, How Can I Forget? I had to come to Qld and give it my best Til I Can't Take It No More. He added, I'm Standing By for a trade and I Count The Tears until This Magic Moment. I wrote Seven Letters a week to my bro Max pleading him to get the Saints to Stand By Me, he wrote back saying, just let the Suns know It's All Over and we will get it done. He ended by saying that
he was looking forward to Grooving with Max and the boys and that if the Suns didn't trade him he would run away like the Hermit On Misty Mountain for a year, it's not my desired outcome but I hope the Suns Don't Drive Me Away cause I will stand aside and I will Do It In The Name Of Love. Anyway CQ, I gotta go, Here Comes The Night.
I'm tore down

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Legendary
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 11:38am I spoke to Benny King last night, he said I have the
Brilliant.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Just push hard to make it happen Saints.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Nothing to lose trying to push hard to make it happen Saints.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 12:26pm Nothing to lose trying to push hard to make it happen Saints.

Just two first round draft picks

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 12:32pm
prwilkinson wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 12:26pm Nothing to lose trying to push hard to make it happen Saints.

Still a gain.

ace
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 5:00pm Yeah, Lloyd looked decidedly uncomfortable.
A silent no comment.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Brisbane took him at pick 6 in the 2018 draft knowing they would have trouble keeping him after his brother was recruited by St Kilda at pick 4.
Seems he is not happy enough to extend his 2 year contract.

At the moment St Kilda notionally has pick 6 and will likely have our first round pick at 5 to 8.
They may hate doing it but reality is it is only a matter of time before Gold Coast lose him.
They may be wise to demand our first round pick this year than wait for next year.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintbob
SS Life Member

longtimesaint wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 9:27am We would be crazy to take a second rounder for Stuv.
Geelong can be told where to stick it!
29yo with mental health issues, I’m not sure we’ll get anymore than a second rounder.
We can’t be seen getting in his way, otherwise we’ll look like the bad ones.
If they offer up Constable then it’ll be a clean swap

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

anyone who bags Carlisle doesn't know much about the caper.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

The Fireman wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 4:21pm anyone who bags Carlisle doesn't know much about the caper.
Yeah but I'm remembering his welcome to saints photo
So he might be perfect for suns

Seeya
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 12:44pm

Still a gain.

Why?

silverhalo
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 4:21pm anyone who bags Carlisle doesn't know much about the caper.
Agreed......give the guy a break, he's come back from major back surgery, there are plenty that wouldn't have played at all for the reminder of the season. His intercept marking and ability to go back or forward is so important and IMO he's one of these laconic players that sometimes seems he's not trying.

silverhalo
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 7:04pm

Still a gain.

Why?
Because in the long run, he'll probably be of more value than 2 first rounders....I'd almost be prepared to do it

St Loxton
Club Player

silverhalo wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 7:29pm
Agreed......give the guy a break, he's come back from major back surgery, there are plenty that wouldn't have played at all for the reminder of the season. His intercept marking and ability to go back or forward is so important and IMO he's one of these laconic players that sometimes seems he's not trying.
Agreed, he's laconic, but he's a gun backman.
Saved our bacon a few times.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 7:30pm

Still a gain.

Why?
Because in the long run, he'll probably be of more value than 2 first rounders....I'd almost be prepared to do it
Again why? What makes him such a superstar that you would take him over Anderson and Rowell combined?

I am not saying that he is not potentially a good player but I am a bit over this constant chasing of expensive talls over mids.

The expensive ones have not gained us great playing value = Lee, Hickey, Longer, Carlisle, Paddy.
Carlisle has been our only real success and the price to get him was not too steep.

Our cheaper talls have offered more value and indeed quality: Bruce, Pierce, Marshall, Brown.

Mids are surer bets. Hunter is looking the goods. People complain about Billings but he is still a very good player. Gresh is going ok.

Given the balance of our list as it stands I would prefer to use this and next years first rounders in securing quality mids. I suspect that one will be Hill this year.

I would also rather chase an uncontracted BKing, than a contracted one.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Good post sRr, I like that perspective. We have indeed chased tall timber rather than building midfield depth.

silverhalo
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 7:59pm

Still a gain.

Why?
Again why? What makes him such a superstar that you would take him over Anderson and Rowell combined?

I am not saying that he is not potentially a good player but I am a bit over this constant chasing of expensive talls over mids.

The expensive ones have not gained us great playing value = Lee, Hickey, Longer, Carlisle, Paddy.
Carlisle has been our only real success and the price to get him was not too steep.

Our cheaper talls have offered more value and indeed quality: Bruce, Pierce, Marshall, Brown.

Mids are surer bets. Hunter is looking the goods. People complain about Billings but he is still a very good player. Gresh is going ok.

Given the balance of our list as it stands I would prefer to use this and next years first rounders in securing quality mids. I suspect that one will be Hill this year.

You make some good points and I agree with a lot of what you've said.

On the topic of getting mids in favour of tall forwards, there is no doubt that recruiting a potentially good mid is the safer option because it tends to go unnoticed if they play a bad game because there are so many other mids but if your tall forward is not cutting it, he (and the club) comes under the spotlight. I would argue that a quality tall forward is a lot more valuable than a quality mid and worth their weight in gold......It's risk vs reward

I have an unfair advantage in that I've seen the Kings play a fair bit of footy at Haileybury and they did stand out, believe me, so my views on Benny King are somewhat influenced by what I've seen and know he is capable of. I also agree that if we can wait another year, it might be in the best interests of both Ben and the club - we get him as an uncontracted player without having to give anything away and he has another 12 months experience under his belt.....let's face it, we won't be challenging for the flag next year so we can wait.

silverhalo
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 7:59pm

Still a gain.

Why?

Just following on from my previous post, I'd probably agree that we look at bringing in at least one gun midfielder in this year's trade period and look to get Benny the following year uncontracted (that's if he can bear living in Queensland for another year, I know it would be difficult :D )

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

He’s uncontracted at the end of next year - but not a free agent. The way I understand it is that GC would be well within their rights to keep him on their list and make him stand out of footy if a new contract isn’t signed or a favourable deal isn’t done. So in other words, we still need to give up something to get him .

I know we need mids, but I say give up our first rounder now. We know we get a player that will be pushing for selection in our best 22 almost from day 1, and will develop into the key of our defence once Brown and Carlisle have retired.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Rubyjo
Club Player

Membrey trade for king

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 10:37pm He’s uncontracted at the end of next year - but not a free agent. The way I understand it is that GC would be well within their rights to keep him on their list and make him stand out of footy if a new contract isn’t signed or a favourable deal isn’t done. So in other words, we still need to give up something to get him .

I know we need mids, but I say give up our first rounder now. We know we get a player that will be pushing for selection in our best 22 almost from day 1, and will develop into the key of our defence once Brown and Carlisle have retired.
Gold Coast wouldn't dare send him to the draft or make him sit out, the AFL wouldn't allow it after all the concessions and handouts they have been given. Offer them next years first and Newnes now. They'd be mad not to take them.

silverhalo
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 11:07pm
Zed wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 10:37pm He’s uncontracted at the end of next year - but not a free agent. The way I understand it is that GC would be well within their rights to keep him on their list and make him stand out of footy if a new contract isn’t signed or a favourable deal isn’t done. So in other words, we still need to give up something to get him .

Gold Coast wouldn't dare send him to the draft or make him sit out, the AFL wouldn't allow it after all the concessions and handouts they have been given. Offer them next years first and Newnes now. They'd be mad not to take them.
Might need to sweeten that deal by not sending Newnes across....sorry Jack :D